Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the point of nominating Bernie Sanders when he can't win the general?

Hillary Clinton is going to lose: She doesn’t even see the frustrated progressive wave that will nominate Bernie Sanders

quote:

Democratic elites don’t want to hear it but Hillary Clinton’s in trouble. It isn’t in all the data yet though you can find it if you look. In a straw poll taken in early June at a Wisconsin Democratic convention she edged out Bernie Sanders by just 8 points, 49% to 41%. In a poll of N.H. primary voters this week she beat Sanders by 41% to 31%. An Ohio poll had her in a dead heat with the likes of Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. If Sanders can poll 40% in a Wisconsin straw poll in June he can do it an Iowa caucus in January. Imagine a Hillary Clinton who just lost Iowa and New Hampshire to Bernie Sanders. It’s still hard to picture but it gets easier every day.

Clinton resists change. Meanwhile, Bernie Sanders is the only candidate in either party who seems to feel the tectonic plates of our politics shifting, perhaps because he’s expected the change for so long. His is still an improbable candidacy, but less improbable than it was a month or even a week ago. If he clears out the second tier, his battle with Hillary could become epic, forcing not just her but the Democratic Party to choose between the middle class and the donor class; between corporate and democratic rule; the battle over trade carried over into a presidential election.

:bernget:

Ok, which one of you wrote this for Salon after the thread got locked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Super Librarian posted:

The TV was muted, but as I picked up my coffee today, it looked like Fox News was already having a discussion on Obama using the n-word in a comedy podcast.

Basically, yeah. I mean, it was five seconds of an hour-long podcast, so clearly it was a small part, but the big takeaway was that one word.

Actually, it's really the best picture I've gotten of Barack Obama as a human being, having not read his books. I can't remember if it was this thread that was talking about him as the most "Dad" president, but he totally is. And a lot of time was spent talking about the presentation of him as someone who can change everything compared to the reality of actually being president and having to work with a million other people (and against a million more) to change even the tiniest of things. He seems like someone for whom every loss weighs further on his soul, and every win eases it a bit, in a way that I can't really see any other presidents in the recent past (read: post-WWII), save maybe Jimmy Carter.

I'm glad he's so confident about the Supreme Court upholding the ACA. More than me, anyways.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Unfortunately the Democratic party has already chosen between the donor class and the lower classes and I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but they did not choose us.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Not really USpol, but Maron's interview of Terry Gross was also really good. His interviews are generally great, though some are a bit inside baseball.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@fitsnews: Sources: Nikki Haley to call for Confederate flag to come down at 4:00 p.m. press conference.

Did she get a talking-to from some CEOs this morning?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "I was appalled to hear of Treasury Secretary Jack Lew's decision last week to demote Alexander Hamilton from his featured position on the ten dollar bill." ~ Ben Bernanke

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Did she get a talking-to from some CEOs this morning?

Pretty much, yeah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "I was appalled to hear of Treasury Secretary Jack Lew's decision last week to demote Alexander Hamilton from his featured position on the ten dollar bill." ~ Ben Bernanke

I was as well.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Seriously. Keep Hamilton, ditch Jackson.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mormon Star Wars posted:

"My family would have never fought to defend slavery! They were "one of the good ones!"" - Every single neo-confederate in existence.

lol, yeah. All I can do is go off of what they actually said. Like I said, I was lucky enough to have a great grandmother who lived to 104 who actually knew and spoke to them.

I had family fighting for the union too.

RaySmuckles posted:

I'm pretty sure you're not making this argument, but it sounds like what you're saying is "my ancestors were completely innocent people only defending themselves from the brutish, rape-hungry northerners, and by extension, so were most of the confederate soldiers!" Sounds like you're saying the North was launching a war of Aggression, if you ask me. I'm sure you're ancestors were completely innocent and separate from the slave society/economy and never once, not ONCE, used the "N" word.

I'm not making that argument, but this is D&D, so everyone immediately resorts to hyperbole.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Keep Jackson but make him share it with any famous Native.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

Not Sacajawea, no one wants to use her money.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Not Sacajawea, no one wants to use her money.

That's because you couldn't throw her money at strippers. Well you could...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Super Librarian posted:

The TV was muted, but as I picked up my coffee today, it looked like Fox News was already having a discussion on Obama using the n-word in a comedy podcast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They've already said that Hamilton is on the chopping block because of logistics, not anyone's personal choice.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Chief Joesph would be good it people took a message of pacifism from it given he was retreating my and avoiding conflict before his famous speech, but I expect it would be distorted into something terrible, like "ha, we won bitches! Look at him surrender"

Better go with Tecumsh, he terrified the country for generations and was the real impetuous behind the War of 1812.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Here's my question about all that. Where did the confederacy get their army? I was under the impression that only the richest people owned slaves and they certainly weren't doing the actual fighting. Why would they fight for some rich dude to keep slaves? Were all those soldiers so brainwashed by rhetoric that they just joined up to fight for these rich pricks?

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know. Forget the civil war, what about what the U.S.A. is doing right now around the world?

My family members who fought for the confederacy were poor farmers who didn't own slaves. They fought because the union soldiers were stripping farms (tantamount to killing the people there). And even if you don't give a rip about slavery you will fight, or try to fight, to protect your family.

And that leaves out the tales of rapes committed by the northern soldiers (that was mostly against black women though).

You pretty much answered your own question. There was enough nationalist and survivalist rhetoric, and also actual threat-of-survival issues, that people who had no investment nor interest in the Slavery question ended up fighting for the South anyway.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

haveblue posted:

They've already said that Hamilton is on the chopping block because of logistics, not anyone's personal choice.

That he was a member of a political party that no longer exists and thus can't complain about its prestige being dampened by his removal is just a convenient side fact

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DemeaninDemon posted:

gently caress monuments, Traditional face on the front, new face on the back.

$1: Washington/Obama
$5: Lincoln/MLK
$10: Hamilton/Tubman
$20: Jackson/Sitting Bull
$50: FDR/Eleanor Roosevelt
$100: Franklin/T. Jefferson

Then we let Ronald Reagan and Jefferson Davis have the $2 bill and we're all good.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Yoshifan823 posted:

gently caress monuments, Traditional face on the front, new face on the back.

$1: Washington/Obama
$5: Lincoln/MLK
$10: Hamilton/Tubman
$20: Jackson/Sitting Bull
$50: FDR/Eleanor Roosevelt

Then we let Ronald Reagan and Jefferson Davis have the $2 bill and we're all good.

I like your fifty. poo poo could put the Apollo 11 module on the back of one too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
$1 - $100 - Hilldawg

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Do you guys think Obama will get onto a major circulated currency?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Put a new face on them every year. Collect them all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Most definitely since A) Racial tensions will probably not go away and B) it would be an easy way to show that "really we're past racism this time!"

The only question is where. I could see him replace Washington on one of his coins, maybe Lincoln if they don't get rid of the penny prematurely.

The Larch posted:

Put a new face on them every year. Collect them all.

They do this already and appropriately the last one seems to be Ronald Reagan.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I would love to see them do the state quarter treatment to the $10 bill and have a roster of famous Americans to go on the bill (Tubman, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, hell, throw conservatives a bone and give them Regan), but I would imagine that a non-standardized bill would just be ripe for counterfitting if only some people actually know who's on it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

computer parts posted:

They do this already and appropriately the last one seems to be Ronald Reagan.

They're skipping Carter because they can't put him on currency until he dies. :black101:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Put Reagan on the front and Khomeini on the back, with a wreath of money and missiles surrounding their portraits.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Jefferson is already on the two dollar bill, the best denomination in the USA.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

MSNBC is covering a live press conference with legislatures, pastors and organizations calling for removal of confederate flag

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/22/charleston-death-penalty_n_7637562.html

Great watch so far

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think it is more likely that U.S. Issued cash will cease to be anything major before this nation gets to the point where we put the first black president on a major denomination. Either we will move to cashless, or we will change the designs away from politicians, or the U.S. will use something else, or the nukes will fly, or something else long before I figure we will see the racial and political consensus come around to acknowledging we should honor Obama like that.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

FAUXTON posted:

Put Reagan on the front and Khomeini on the back, with a wreath of money and missiles surrounding their portraits.

I was going to say coke bricks but I am sure a few of the bills will be used to snort coke anyway so...

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just take the $1 and put Obama on one side and Anita Sarkeesian on the other

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This year's highway appropriations bill is titled the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act of 2015.

In other words: the DRIVE Act :negative:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

I think it is more likely that U.S. Issued cash will cease to be anything major before this nation gets to the point where we put the first black president on a major denomination. Either we will move to cashless, or we will change the designs away from politicians, or the U.S. will use something else, or the nukes will fly, or something else long before I figure we will see the racial and political consensus come around to acknowledging we should honor Obama like that.

Well uh, Obama kinda needs to be dead for a bit before it's even legal to put him on anything, and he's only 53 now. Earliest reasonable case is like the 2040s before he can even be considered to go on a bill, most likely not til the 2050s. It's not a politics issue that he won't be on anything soon.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

We really need to put Daniel Inouye on a bill. He's cool as gently caress.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quote of the Morning #2 - "Not everything is about race in this country. But when it is about race, then it just is. So when a guy who has been depicted wearing a jacket featuring an apartheid-era Rhodesian flag walks into a historic black church and guns down nine African-American worshipers at a Bible study meeting, common sense leads one to believe his motivations are based in racism. When the sole adult survivor of the ordeal reports that the killer shouted before opening fire, 'You rape our women and you're taking over our country. And you have to go' — well, that sounds to me a lot like racial hatred.

"Let's call this sickness what it is, so we can get on with the healing. If this were a medical disease, and all the doctors recognized the symptoms but refused to make the diagnosis for fear of offending the patient, we could call it madness. But there are people who are claiming that they can lead this country who dare not call this tragedy an act of racism, a hate crime, for fear of offending a particular segment of the electorate."

~ Dr. Ben Carson

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

This year's highway appropriations bill is titled the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act of 2015.

I believe the emote you want is :hellyeah:...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well uh, Obama kinda needs to be dead for a bit before it's even legal to put him on anything, and he's only 53 now. Earliest reasonable case is like the 2040s before he can even be considered to go on a bill, most likely not til the 2050s. It's not a politics issue that he won't be on anything soon.

I used a lifespan calculator that estimates Obama will live to 83, so he's got another ~30 years.

On the plus side for him: great driving record, regular exercise, diet with plenty of vegetables (thanks, Michelle), wealthy.

But there are also some problems: high stress job, both parents died young, still smokes, history of recreational drug use.

This also all assumes that Obama really is 53 and wasn't a CIA chrononaut sent to Mars.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the Morning #2 - "Not everything is about race in this country. But when it is about race, then it just is. So when a guy who has been depicted wearing a jacket featuring an apartheid-era Rhodesian flag walks into a historic black church and guns down nine African-American worshipers at a Bible study meeting, common sense leads one to believe his motivations are based in racism. When the sole adult survivor of the ordeal reports that the killer shouted before opening fire, 'You rape our women and you're taking over our country. And you have to go' — well, that sounds to me a lot like racial hatred.

"Let's call this sickness what it is, so we can get on with the healing. If this were a medical disease, and all the doctors recognized the symptoms but refused to make the diagnosis for fear of offending the patient, we could call it madness. But there are people who are claiming that they can lead this country who dare not call this tragedy an act of racism, a hate crime, for fear of offending a particular segment of the electorate."

~ Dr. Ben Carson

A second Democrat has entered the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Joe is a real human being and a real hero.

• Locked thread