Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Isn't Eden's plan explained by his creation? I thought President Eden's ideology was the result of previous presidents' speeches being put into a blender and mashed together. He doesn't display any deep thoughts because politicians don't often talk about their complicated political strategies. Instead, they focus on rhetoric and emotional appeals to gain support. The tough compromises are saved for backrooms, a resource which Eden is missing in his identity.

Eden is nothing but one hundred public personas mashed together. He talks about baseball, not to make himself seem more relatable as past presidents might have done, but because past speeches mentioned baseball a lot and that must mean it's important. Similarly, past presidents talked a lot about genetic purity and destroying the mutants at any cost, so those are the goals that must be upheld. Though the Enclave might have been willing to compromise on a matters in private to ensure its survival, Eden is a machine built on nothing but rhetoric. He cannot conceive of a plan that isn't hawkish, stubbornly loyal to the Enclave's pure human agenda, and blindly hostile to genetic mutation.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Fun fact time! It's almost been as long between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 as it has been between Fallout 2 and Fallout 3.

So you know... Lol at the idea that it had been that far apart.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

2house2fly posted:

Why would they need to "explain" stuff from the old games?

I played Tactics and Wasteland, but never played FO1 or FO2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Why? If you went on to play the original games all that stuff is explained anyway, and if you didn't go on to play the original games then it's pointless to have all this stuff that was in them.

Because some things are core to the setting of Fallout. As much as every NMA type bitches about Super Mutants being on the East Coast, there'd be even more bitching if there were no Super Mutants in the game at all. Plus Fallout 1 and 2 were cult classics at best and didn't exactly sell all that well. People outright refuse to play the older games because of how dated they are and frankly, I kind of agree. At least in Fallout 1's case where it's so easy for the interface or companions getting stuck in doorways to gently caress you over. Fallout 3 was a way to introduce the world of Fallout to a new audience, just like New Vegas reintroduced some of the stuff Fallout 3 omitted like the NCR.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

King Vidiot posted:

While I understand that not everybody can play every game ever, I hope they don't treat us like we're stupid and don't know what Fallout is. It's not hard to design around a game where it introduces concepts without having a character spout dialogue about it when you ask "WHAT IS THING?". By the end of Fallout New Vegas I knew what the gently caress supermutants, ghouls, caps and mole rats were, and what the NCR and Brotherhood of Steel were all about, and I didn't have to play dumb to get that information.

They could solve a lot of discussion problems if Beth used the voice actors to their strengths and let Vault 111 survivor laugh at or react to how weird everything about the Wasteland is like someone that was just dropped out of a "civilized" world into Fallout. Or at least like Ash Williams into the Medieval Age.

"You're telling me there's a loving knighthood of people in military power armor?"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Crabtree posted:

They could solve a lot of discussion problems if Beth used the voice actors to their strengths and let Vault 111 survivor laugh at or react to how weird everything about the Wasteland is like someone that was just dropped out of a "civilized" world into Fallout. Or at least like Ash Williams into the Medieval Age.

"You're telling me there's a loving knighthood of people in military power armor?"

Ugh this would be awful. I've been defending Bethesda ITT but they are not good enough writers to do humour.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crabtree posted:

I don't think the robot had kept up with current events. And the only other people we've heard him talk to so far are his wife and a sales person in the pre-War era and then a dog. Not much to go on...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Flaky posted:

Moira was loving great I don't see the problem

How to romance Moira. Please tell, how she become my girlfriend?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Game needs more bad puns.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I want to play a character other than Witty Competent White Warrior so the lame generic protag voices interrupting me all the time is gonna be a real pain in the rear end

Really tired of being witty & competent. Why can't I play as the repulsive loser that I am?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Really tired of being witty & competent. Why can't I play as the repulsive loser that I am?

No you're gonna be a proud and responsible parent and you're gonna like it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Trying Fallout 2 again since the first time I tried I got bored in the very first temple tutorial area. While I get it now, for the most part, goddamn do I hate the luck-based combat. While it's much more RPG-y, starting out with a less-than-50/50 shot at actually hitting anything really sucks. I'm getting my rear end handed to me by babby's first spore plant fight in the shaman's garden. I even went back to the shaman to get a full heal after the first kill, made no difference. The spore plant whittled me down while I whiffed every single spear thrust.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Mordaedil posted:

Fun fact time! It's almost been as long between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 as it has been between Fallout 2 and Fallout 3.

So you know... Lol at the idea that it had been that far apart.

Fallout 2 came out in 1998, Fallout 3 in 2008, Fallout 4 2015. That's 7 years you baka. A baby born when Fallout 4 comes out will be 3 years old in 2018; that's the average age of NeoGaf posters. Speaking of babies, think how much it would suck to be born on the day Fallout 4 comes out. By the time you can even figure out video games the next Fallout will be coming out. The Bone zone and PS4 will still be considered next gen devices though. Think how much it would suck to be born in ISIS controlled Iraq. You don't get to play Fallout 4 and some rear end in a top hat plants a bomb in your cloth diaper.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 22, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mordaedil posted:

Mind that the Enclave was established as such in Fallout 2 and were then wiped out. I don't really think borrowing the old motivations works when putting it into a completely different context, but maybe that's just me.

People seem to do that just fine for the Brotherhood of Steel.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Trying Fallout 2 again since the first time I tried I got bored in the very first temple tutorial area. While I get it now, for the most part, goddamn do I hate the luck-based combat. While it's much more RPG-y, starting out with a less-than-50/50 shot at actually hitting anything really sucks. I'm getting my rear end handed to me by babby's first spore plant fight in the shaman's garden. I even went back to the shaman to get a full heal after the first kill, made no difference. The spore plant whittled me down while I whiffed every single spear thrust.

I suggest you concentrate on H2H fighting for the whole first town..there are little places throughout the game that allow you to use and improve the skill in great ways so it's super cheap at first and not a throw-away later. Slowly ramp up shooting skill so you can hit things with a pistol soon after you leave.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

FO1's starting you with the 10mm pistol is an act of divine mercy. gently caress melee weapons

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It's especially hard to adjust to what with New Vegas/Fallout 3 giving you a 95% accuracy in VATS, and 100% accuracy outside of VATS. Just walk up to an enemy and attack until dead, now it's "walk up to an enemy and click until you're dead after landing one hit".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Why? If you went on to play the original games all that stuff is explained anyway, and if you didn't go on to play the original games then it's pointless to have all this stuff that was in them.

Because the game would be a bit weird if it didn't explain any of its setting.

The setting is fun and I like it, I just don't want to play an isometric RPG.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

computer parts posted:

People seem to do that just fine for the Brotherhood of Steel.

Don't forget that at this point there are at least 4 different BoS flavors:

Original West Coast
Deep Dish Chicago
Cool Ranch DC
Spicy Outcast

I'm perfectly fine imagining that 'BoS' and 'Enclave' are terms like 'Roman Empire'. It only really means something until they get their asses handed to them and then the entire thing implodes and fractures. After that every dingleberry with power armor and a plasma gun starts claiming to be the true successors to the old order and all the others are pretenders.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

It's especially hard to adjust to what with New Vegas/Fallout 3 giving you a 95% accuracy in VATS, and 100% accuracy outside of VATS. Just walk up to an enemy and attack until dead, now it's "walk up to an enemy and click until you're dead after landing one hit".

Being more abstracted and stat driven is just a necessity of the budget and technology constraints inherent to early CRPGs. Skill up and you'll be fine. Get a gun and you'll be golden.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think the main weakness of Fallout 3 is Bethesda's poor dialogue and failing the "Show, don't tell" rule about the D.C. water crisis. The mutant problem in D.C. is shown off pretty well; almost all the buildings there are infested with Super Mutants and there's constant fighting between them and human groups there. Yet it's really weird how Bethesda, who are normally really good at environmental storytelling, didn't show off how people in the area desperately needed water.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I think the main weakness of Fallout 3 is Bethesda's poor dialogue and failing the "Show, don't tell" rule about the D.C. water crisis. The mutant problem in D.C. is shown off pretty well; almost all the buildings there are infested with Super Mutants and there's constant fighting between them and human groups there. Yet it's really weird how Bethesda, who are normally really good at environmental storytelling, didn't show off how people in the area desperately needed water.

did these guys not just cut to the core of your being? didn't they make you question your principles? how you even got here in the first place?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I just noticed the Pip-Boy from the collector's edition has a coin battery in it.

Edit: It powers the Power LED.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

SunAndSpring posted:

What are you talking about? There's always a token water starved vagrant that offers you nothing but karma for pouring down an infinite amount of bottled water down his lazy throat. Why do anything else like make water a very expensive item to trade or ironically do what New Vegas did and have a line about caps be backed literally by water?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Crabtree posted:

What are you talking about? There's always a token water starved vagrant that offers you nothing but karma for pouring down an infinite amount of bottled water down his lazy throat. Why do anything else like make water a very expensive item to trade or ironically do what Fallout did and have caps be backed literally by water?

Why can't they just suck the water out of the air? Even though the the world is still poo poo 200 years later everybody seems to have a limitless amount of electricity.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

But this random roll system is what made Morrowind combat so great and since they removed it in Oblivion/Skyrim these games have been dumbed down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yaos posted:

Why can't they just suck the water out of the air? Even though the the world is still poo poo 200 years later everybody seems to have a limitless amount of electricity.

In fairness when everything is atomic powered that isn't exactly surprising.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Yaos posted:

Look, we need to have an easy way to make the player seem like they did something important. So it's a goddamn big purifier machine that spits out waterfalls, alright?

OwlFancier posted:

In fairness when everything is atomic powered that isn't exactly surprising.

Even better, they have Cold Fusion because Power Armor runs by a fusion power cell. Every brotherhood suit could probably generate enough energy to keep the lights on in a city for decades.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 22, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bholder posted:

But this random roll system is what made Morrowind combat so great and since they removed it in Oblivion/Skyrim these games have been dumbed down.

this is a dumb statement no matter the level of irony

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Bholder posted:

Give it up for Mr. Broken Record Bholder, everyone. He be here all week making the same hyperbole with every post. Don't forget to your waiters on the way out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crabtree posted:

Even better, they have Cold Fusion because Power Armor runs by a fusion power cell. Every brotherhood suit could probably generate enough energy to keep the lights on in a city for decades.

There should be a side quest somewhere to go loot that set of power armor to dick over a town.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yaos posted:

I hope I can turn my settlement into a sietch and get the windtraps rolling.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

It really doesn't make sense that the technology optimistic 50s aesthetic was around for over 100 years, but who cares?

I've always seen it interpreted as it's a timeline where the future played out exactly how the 'technology optimistic 50s aesthetic' predicted, and that prediction was pretty much "It's the 50s but we have nuclear toaster ovens and robots" so of course it's still very 50s.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

My main problem is original music in fallout. Your gonna tell me that in 100 years before the war that everyone was just keen on listening to the same music.

I think it would be cool if it was like bioshock infinity where more modern music was just given a 50s feel. Or heck maybe near the beginning of the war RockNRoll was about to rear its ugly head.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Bholder posted:

Good, now I can actually play the game instead of having to just sit there and let an enemy hit me because I ran out of points and can no longer attack, walk or check my inventory.

Clicking my tiny cursor on an enemy and then stroking my chin and planning my next action point-enabled move is so deep, it's like playing chess. Or Yu-gi-oh.

Hihohe posted:

My main problem is original music in fallout. Your gonna tell me that in 100 years before the war that everyone was just keen on listening to the same music.

I think it would be cool if it was like bioshock infinity where more modern music was just given a 50s feel. Or heck maybe near the beginning of the war RockNRoll was about to rear its ugly head.

What do you mean "about to"? Are you saying Elvis isn't rock and roll enough?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hihohe posted:

I am very disappointed that Aqua's immortal "Barbie Girl" did not survive the nuclear apocalypse.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Basically after the post-war boom of the 50s America decided to keep the good times rolling. They focused on technological improvements (barring transistors etc) especially nuclear tech but stagnated culturally. The government became much more overtly military focused, building new weapons and technology kept us in front before, lets keep it up that kind of thing. The Red Menace was played up, anyone who didn't fit into the perfect idea of the 1950s Golden Age was a target of suspicion and probably shipped off to some hole in the ground.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I've always seen it interpreted as it's a timeline where the future played out exactly how the 'technology optimistic 50s aesthetic' predicted, and that prediction was pretty much "It's the 50s but we have nuclear toaster ovens and robots" so of course it's still very 50s.

Hihohe posted:

I always figured that since fashion & fads are cyclical and come back from time to time, it means that after the 2060's gritty cyberpunk dystopia fad ended everyone was sick of sharp edges and subdued colors and Casey Kasembot brought back upbeat rock&roll and swing.

What I never understood in Fallout was in a world of fusion powered cars and nuclear microwave ovens, how did WW3 start over an oil crisis?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nevets posted:

I always figured that since fashion & fads are cyclical and come back from time to time, it means that after the 2060's gritty cyberpunk dystopia fad ended everyone was sick of sharp edges and subdued colors and Casey Kasembot brought back upbeat rock&roll and swing.

What I never understood in Fallout was in a world of fusion powered cars and nuclear microwave ovens, how did WW3 start over an oil crisis?

All their poo poo is still made of plastic maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Hihohe posted:

I'm one of the filthy monsters who doesn't play music while roaming the wastes. Just me and nature, in all its broken, irradiated glory.

• Locked thread