Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lynza posted:

Oh my god, it's full of stars :swoon:

I like the 2001 reference but it's more like a bass boat. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
OK, so I didn't get a video of the rear wheel play but I took it to the shop for some consultation. and the conclusion was that it is normal or at least nothing to worry about. They said that wheels with needle bearings always have a bit of play when balancing them. This leads me to believe that the needle bearings are not totally play free from factory. I guess the cush drive rubbers usually hides this play when torqued down on the bike. Of course, one could argue that my cush drive dampers are worn, but they look totally fine and there are no tolerances to measure anyway.

Expensive lesson though. And thanks to all for input.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Collateral Damage posted:

I would check the oil, just to make sure it's actually oil and not odd socks or something.
I actually haven't checked the gear oil, probably should. We just disconnected the oil injector and are running premix now.

I'm really really curious what the lavender poo poo was. I went so far as to try to wash my hands with it to see if it was soap of some kind. It didn't seem to be, it kinda barely lathered up but it didn't clean anything. Water beaded up on it, so I assume it's petroleum based. It took some real soap to get it off.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm sure "lavender oil" is a thing, but I don't know which viscosity grades it comes in.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Swapped the rear shock on my CBR500R for a GXSR600 rear shock. Little bit of cutting of some plastic, but all it did was hold a single wire up and that wire is plastic wrapped. Shock slipped right in.

Took longer than I wanted, I had a mishap and knocked the bike over off the stand, and dropped the rear end end onto the wheel. I caught it but it was a loving CHORE getting the stand out from underneath then removing the exhaust so I could get the stand back under the swingarm. I did drop it while trying to get the stand back underneath, but nothing broke or bent.

The new shock feels really good. I don't have a spanner, though I don't know if I'll bother.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
This

thankfully I was close to home and it was in 2nd so I could just ride back. Glad it didn't happen while on a long trip at least.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Bolted some poo poo together.

My Zuma's horizontal Minarelli, now with a high primary compression crank and banging 70cc kit.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
The bolt keeping the chain wear guard in place on my TW decided to wiggle out, so the rubber guard shot forward into my front sprocket and derailed the chain. Thankfully someone stopped and helped hold the chain in place as I rolled it back on the sprocket and was able to ride it home. Placed the order for the replacement guard, and now I get to figure out how to remove the swingarm to replace the guard! Fun times.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Saturday got the Honda back into one piece and on the road, however briefly! The new clutch cable was hilariously out of whack so after limping home after one run around the block with 2 or 3 engine cut outs, adjusted it a bit so it's not engaging when the lever is fully in.

Still not 100% properly disengaging from what I can tell, so next step is working on that whenever it decides to stop raining.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You should have adjusted the cable when you installed it. It's a Christmas Miracle if they come ready to go.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

What did I do to my ride today? Pretty much nothing, overall!

Decided that blasting out the air filter would be a good easy-mode task for someone as terrible at biek as me. Asked earlier in the stupid question thread how to remove the seat, got a very good answer from Gorson, and jumped right to it!

I'm no motorcycle mechanic, I'm barely even a motorcycle rider, but I don't think this is a filter in workable shape. This is after going at it fruitlessly for a couple minutes with compressed air. More fun neglected-biek maintenance to come!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Paper element, I'd replace that anyway.

e: not stacking replies...

Chasing headlights burning out after a few hours of use.

Last night I got home and took the R/R off the bike, ground off some of the paint on the body where it connects to the bracket, and re-fastened it with star washers between the body and the mounting bracket. Also improved the steering head ground point (where headlights ground) with star washers. Checked resistance to neg post on battery - about 1.3ohm. Seems OK. Al Lighton says this might fix my headlight issue, but in case my R/R is dying I have another one coming in tomorrow. Should have got a MOSFET upgrade but I don't want to cut wires.

Have to replace the clutch cable and wire form guide too. Disconnected melted clutch cable from lever, got tired and quit before opening the primary case.

Noticed the front tire is original. Date code 2407. It's an 08 model.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 17, 2015

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finally got the 599 running well. It's been sitting in Hnasty's garage for about a month now with carb issues. Can't wait to finally start putting some miles on it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Last night I assessed my plans for intake seal service. Got half way through a clutch cable replacement when it clicked that I need to rotate the engine out for those and I need to undo the clutch cable at the lever and un-route it to that... so the clutch cable sits, slowly siphoning primary fluid into a milk jug. Automatic lubing!

Also, found the cause of my right rear turn signal working only intermittently. The female side of the spade connector inside the signal housing broke, one of the curled edges that hangs onto the male part just snapped off inside the housing. Thanks American labor unions for ensuring such mediocre components at real, livable American wages. I'd be less annoyed if it had CHINA embossed on it, or if it didn't break, either way.

Tonight I am going to redneck-engineer a swing arm stand from surplus fence project materials to use while the engine comes out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Finally got the 599 running well. It's been sitting in Hnasty's garage for about a month now with carb issues. Can't wait to finally start putting some miles on it.

Awesome, man!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Awesome, man!

I'm so pumped. I feel like a new rider being off a bike for so long.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't let hnasty trick you into thinking that he knows bikes, that was your mistake. Only like 2 people in bieks know how to wrench, the rest of us just ask them.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

I'm so pumped. I feel like a new rider being off a bike for so long.

I bet! Hit me up if you feel like coming out with the group sometime!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday I bolted the Zuma's engine back into the chassis and started it up. This morning I finished up the sensor wire routing, made a sweet custom bracket for my eBay tach and put the plastics back on . Now I'm all ready to get back on the road and tune the carb melt a hold in the piston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVsIvVc7VxY

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Pulled the (dead) engine!

http://imgur.com/a/nGrwe

Looks like dumbass that did the install forgot the gudgeon pin retainers. one thing led to another and wham bam thank you mam.
can't really tell in the pics but the bore is cracked on both sides, the cylinder is cracked through on one, and halfway on the other. Counter balancer shaft is bent like my dick.

PO cut the cluster wiring, and had no idea what the mileage was, I wired it back up for curiosities sake.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

cursedshitbox posted:

Pulled the (dead) engine!

http://imgur.com/a/nGrwe

Looks like dumbass that did the install forgot the gudgeon pin retainers. one thing led to another and wham bam thank you mam.

Hey, those clips are a pain to put in. I thought a little RTV would do...:pseudo:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So what if it touches the side of the bore it's all oily anyway it'll just slide off. She'll be 'right.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nsaP posted:

Don't let hnasty trick you into thinking that he knows bikes, that was your mistake. Only like 2 people in bieks know how to wrench, the rest of us just ask them.

you rang?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Installed speed bleeders, bled the brakes. Apparently ordered the wrong bleeder for the rear caliper, blah. Still took only a few minutes total to bleed everything. Fuckin love me some speed bleeders

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good guide online for someone who has never installed these? I'm sure my bike could use it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Unscrew the old ones, screw speed bleeders in, enjoy bleeding brakes in two minutes.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Make sure you get the right one for the caliper, unlike me :classiclol:

Tip: don't overtighten them. It spins relatively easily and then just stops when it reaches the closed position. Pump the brake to see if it's fully closed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

enjoy bleeding brakes in two minutes.

So.... basically the same amount of time it takes to bleed the brakes without them?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

So.... basically the same amount of time it takes to bleed the brakes without them?

Having to open/close the bleeder becomes a chore when you're used to just cracking the bleeder and pumping away.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Any argument against speed bleeders is a bad one. Speed bleeders are fantastic. I have all the fancy tools necessary to make bleeding brakes a breeze, and still love them. Every bike in my stable gets them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Finally cleaned the previous 4 rain storms off my Ducati today and then it rained on the ride home. Life is tough sometimes.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I will install some speed bleeders on my bike eventually so I'm curious, when you take the old bleeders out does much brake fluid flow out or does it pretty much stay in because the system is closed at the top?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Finally cleaned the previous 4 rain storms off my Ducati today and then it rained on the ride home. Life is tough sometimes.

Same. I washed the SD on friday, got rained on today, washed it again out of spite.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I will install some speed bleeders on my bike eventually so I'm curious, when you take the old bleeders out does much brake fluid flow out or does it pretty much stay in because the system is closed at the top?

A decent amount comes out, protect your pads and rotors.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Same. I washed the SD on friday, got rained on today, washed it again out of spite.

Dude the paint will flake off now.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Spiffness posted:

Any argument against speed bleeders is a bad one. Speed bleeders are fantastic. I have all the fancy tools necessary to make bleeding brakes a breeze, and still love them. Every bike in my stable gets them.

How long do you own your bikes that you ever need to bleed them more than once, though?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Alternatively, do you only bleed them once because it's a pain in the rear end?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

How long do you own your bikes that you ever need to bleed them more than once, though?

:psyduck: I bleed my brakes and clutch at least once a month.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

:psyduck: I bleed my brakes and clutch at least once a month.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yes, I keep bikes for more than a year?