Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Can't you buy direct from the manufacturer, like with Apple or the Nexus phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pivo posted:

Can't you buy direct from the manufacturer, like with Apple or the Nexus phones?

Outside of those phones, pretty much no.

Motorola does direct sales but only in the US. None of Samsung, LG or HTC sell direct.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Pivo posted:

Aphrodite posted:

Motorola does direct sales but only in the US. None of Samsung, LG or HTC sell direct.

Thankfully, regardless of your OS taste, either of those two is the way to go.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Nexus 6 is a dumb size now though. And pricey.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Scudworth posted:

This means that Wind's coverage is officially better in the US than here. That's even more hosed up than that other company charging a base rate for literally nothing.

Canadian Cellular: It's Kafkaesque!

Didn't the CRTC recently say that everyone is going to have to stop charging for roaming.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

sbaldrick posted:

Didn't the CRTC recently say that everyone is going to have to stop charging for roaming.

No, that'd be far too European.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-caps-wireless-roaming-rates-that-big-3-can-charge-small-rivals-1.3061333

The CRTC is giving the big three 6 months to decide how much to charge for roaming, and still no mandated MVNOs.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lexicon posted:

Thankfully, regardless of your OS taste, either of those two is the way to go.
You can also get unlocked Windows phones directly from Microsoft, but the locked phones are usually cheaper even after the unlock fee.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Aphrodite posted:

If size is an issue, I recently bought an unlocked Z3 compact direct from the sony website. It's an awesome phone, if you like small phones.

But that only solves the size issue, not the priceyness issue

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

less than three posted:

no mandated MVNOs.

This is pretty much the only thing in Canadian telecom policy that matters, and it's not remotely on the horizon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Aphrodite posted:

I bought my unlocked out of the box Moto G from my local Staples last year for $199.. or was it $249?

Have (had?) X's too.

And jesus christ, the Virgin roaming for US is retarded. $1.45/min or they'll cut you a deal and sell you 30 days/100 min for $20. That's bad but I'd buy it if it wasn't the 30 day limit. If I could use it over the summer I would.

I'm in Nevada right now but I won't bother turning my phone on unless there is an emergency.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Aphrodite posted:

So is the iPhone 6. :sigh: Not hopeful they'll fix the size with the 6s. Looks like I'll be trying to squeeze a third year out of my 5s and hoping for a reasonable sized iPhone 7 instead of choosing between huge or enormous.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old iPhones are like baby sized. Around 5" is perfect phone size.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Find a Nexus 5. It's a great phone, and cheap.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

less than three posted:

Find a Nexus 5. It's a great phone, and cheap.

That's bigger than an iPhone 6. Maggots

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
If Size Matters I have a Lumia 810 I'd be willing to part with for a bit of cash.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Aphrodite posted:

Old iPhones are like baby sized. Around 5" is perfect phone size.

This times a million. I have the 6+ and I can't use it in front of people without hearing a million comments about how unpractical 5.5" phones are. Guys, I just pulled it out of my loving pocket and I and texting with one hand, gently caress off and mind your own tiny phone business.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Subsidies aren't going anywhere for a long time, because in the end it just comes down to people not wanting to spend $800 all at once. Even if they come out ahead in the long run.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you wanna buy an iPhone 6 outright right now with 64gb it's over $1000.

I'm gonna have to do that when the iPhone 6s comes out because I'm tired of my 5. Hopefully it sells for some $$, even though it's dented and has some tiny scratches on the screen.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

If you wanna buy an iPhone 6 outright right now with 64gb it's over $1000.

I'm gonna have to do that when the iPhone 6s comes out because I'm tired of my 5. Hopefully it sells for some $$, even though it's dented and has some tiny scratches on the screen.

The move is to keep your iPhone one year, eleven months and three weeks then smash it for an AppleCare+ replacement and sell the shiny new refurb iPhone you get.

Unfortunately the flaw in my plan is I don't want an iPhone 6, the 6s is likely to be identical in size, and I don't want to migrate to Android. :sigh:

Maybe someday we'll escape the caveman days of low data caps in Canada and we'll be able to stream our music like normal people using Pandora, iTunes Match, the upcoming Apple Music or other services.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm on the SKMB plan and stream Spotify all I want!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BGrifter posted:

and we'll be able to stream our music like normal people using Pandora
If Pandora isn't here by now they're not even trying. Everyone else has Canadian licenses and can make intelligent playlists. I don't see how they survive.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DariusLikewise posted:

This times a million. I have the 6+ and I can't use it in front of people without hearing a million comments about how unpractical 5.5" phones are. Guys, I just pulled it out of my loving pocket and I and texting with one hand, gently caress off and mind your own tiny phone business.

Strange, the only time anyone's ever commented on my nexus 6 size was when I forgot to take it out of my pocket at the airport and the TSA guy asked me if I had a phone in my pocket. I said "oh poo poo yeah" pulled it out and he said "that's not a phone, that's a tablet."

But then I do live in a city where the only people who talk to strangers are mentally ill.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

But then I do live in a city where the only people who talk to strangers are mentally ill.
Toronto?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Describes Vancouver to a T

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Describes Vancouver to a T

Yep. I mean, *looks down at shoes*

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Everyone talks to strangers in Toronto. Or maybe I'm just approachable.

But seconding Vancouver. If a stranger is talking to you there, that's fuckin' weird.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hi. I'm sure this has been addressed, but I scanned the OP and the last few pages and couldn't find it.

I'm going to Vancouver for a week (from the US). I have a Nexus 5. Is there a prepaid SIM I could drop in to get data while I am there? I don't really care about Voice/Text.

Thanks!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

Hi. I'm sure this has been addressed, but I scanned the OP and the last few pages and couldn't find it.

I'm going to Vancouver for a week (from the US). I have a Nexus 5. Is there a prepaid SIM I could drop in to get data while I am there? I don't really care about Voice/Text.

Thanks!

Any 7-11 will sell SpeakOut SIM cards. Um, it's $10/100MB though as far as I know. Rogers has pay-as-you-go plans and they're the biggest of the Big 3 and have the best coverage, but it does get expensive: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/plans?cm_sp=wireless-_-pay_as_you_go-_-plans_banner#,Tabset1--2
Think 80 bucks for 2 gigs is cool?

This ain't Europe, dude. :'( Welcome to Canadian telecom. Enjoy your stay. I honestly don't know of any good deals. You might be better off buying a roaming package from your US telecom...?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Grumpwagon posted:

It's in the OP faq. The answer is "lol you wish".

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Personally I get giddy when an American finally finds something that Canada sucks more at. "Our poo poo is bad, but WOAH your poo poo is SOOOOO much worse."

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Pivo posted:

Any 7-11 will sell SpeakOut SIM cards. Um, it's $10/100MB though as far as I know. Rogers has pay-as-you-go plans and they're the biggest of the Big 3 and have the best coverage, but it does get expensive: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/plans?cm_sp=wireless-_-pay_as_you_go-_-plans_banner#,Tabset1--2
Think 80 bucks for 2 gigs is cool?

This ain't Europe, dude. :'( Welcome to Canadian telecom. Enjoy your stay. I honestly don't know of any good deals. You might be better off buying a roaming package from your US telecom...?

Yeah, that's not great, but it should do me. Thanks for the tips (and sorry I missed the FAQ).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, that's not great, but it should do me. Thanks for the tips (and sorry I missed the FAQ).

Koodo you can get 1GB for $45 or 500mb for $35 if you aren't a data hog. https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans

If you're staying in Metro Vancouver you can also go with WIND for unlimited (2gb soft cap) https://www.windmobile.ca/plans-and-devices/plans/mobile-plan-details/smartphone-plan-35

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I was gonna say use WIND if he didn't mind not having good signal anywhere, but I thought they were post-paid... They have a pre-paid option now? That's interesting.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Last time I checked you could do a "pay before" thing and do their monthly plans like prepaid. Maybe it's gone now :iiam:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pivo posted:

Personally I get giddy when an American finally finds something that Canada sucks more at. "Our poo poo is bad, but WOAH your poo poo is SOOOOO much worse."

Why? It's so common.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any point in hoping WIND will stop being lovely for reception? I'm pretty happy with Virgin but $70-something for 2GB that I constantly fight not to go over -- I'd gladly give up LTE for that if I could just be sure I'd get reception in a major city downtown. 3G unlimited data for $40-something sounds pretty good right now. Especially since summer lets me do a lot of my office stuff in a coffee shop while tethered.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
They bought new spectrum in that last auction, but no phones out right now support the frequencies. You'll have to wait until later this year or next year to find out.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Wasn't there that big news that one of the big 3 is in the process of acquiring Mobilicity on the condition that their spectrum goes to WIND?

The new spectrum they actually bought, no one supports, that's going to take a while to come online and have devices use it. But the stuff they grabbed from Mobilicity, that might be something.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pivo posted:

Wasn't there that big news that one of the big 3 is in the process of acquiring Mobilicity on the condition that their spectrum goes to WIND?

I'm not sure about the acquisition, but that would just be more 1700mhz frequency, so no improvement to building penetration. The new stuff WIND just won will help, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress Rogers. They are phasing out the employee price plans for enterprise client personal lines. I'm grandfathered in but all new clients have to get a consumer plan with a small yet-to-be-determined discount. gently caress Rogers for this greedy poo poo. I've never been so glad to be on contract.

For reference, I pay 56.40 for:
-250 min Canada-wide voice, 6pm evenings
-unlimited Canada-wide messaging
-caller id/voicemail
-6GB data

And the equivalent in-market plan for me would be:

$125
Unlimited Canada-Wide calling
Unlimited Canadian Messaging (Text, Picture, Video)
Call Display
Voicemail
6GB Data

gently caress Rogers.