Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Ugh, Harold Brantley was in a serious car accident yesterday I guess:

quote:

UPDATE: University of Missouri junior defensive tackle Harold Brantley is in good condition and recovering nicely following surgery performed for injuries he sustained in an automobile accident Sunday afternoon in the Columbia area. We’re pleased to report that the prognosis is very good long-term, and that Harold should be able to make a full physical recovery.
The following update came this morning from Rex Sharp, Associate Athletic Director for Sports Medicine, and our Head Football Athletic Trainer:
• The injuries sustained in the accident included a fracture in his lower left leg (tibia), and this was successfully repaired surgically last night...
• Harold also sustained some ligament damage in his left knee which will require surgery at a later date, perhaps within 3-4 weeks…
• Additionally, Harold sustained multiple rib fractures and is naturally pretty sore from those…
• If Harold continues to progress as scheduled, he will be out of ICU Tuesday and moved into a regular room…
• It’s too soon to put a timetable on a planned return to football activities, so we’re going to leave that open and focus all attention on helping Harold recover and get back to full health first. When that information becomes known, we’ll certainly share it with everyone…
• Harold is receiving world-class healthcare from Mizzou team orthopaedists Dr. Pat Smith and Dr. Jim Stannard, in addition to the healthcare team at University Hospital. We are grateful for the multitude of prayers and well wishes from all over the country for both Harold and Maddie Stock, and are very thankful that they are both okay…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

A cool 7-on-7 catch
https://mobile.twitter.com/macjones2017/status/612454147187716096/video/1

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Ugh, Harold Brantley was in a serious car accident yesterday I guess:

Yeah I saw that earlier, good thing is it sounds like he'll be ok. At least like living life ok even if he doesn't get back to playing football.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This looks like it was filmed with a jar of vasoline

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm late but will be pouring one out for Wheez tonight. Dude was really funny and watching him descend into a fireball-stupor was always a late-night GDT favorite.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Korranus posted:

Looks like the NAIA is honoring the NCAA's eligibility ban on Silas Nacita, effectively ending his career. If he wants to play it'll have to be in another country.

Considering the NAIA is basically the wild west, it makes me think we may not be getting the full story on these violations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Does UCLA get any Fulmer Cup points for having the dad of a player arrested for assault after he gets into a fight with an assistant coach? Oh also the dad is P Diddy.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/22/8826861/p-diddy-arrested-ucla-fight-football-coach

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

VDay posted:

Does UCLA get any Fulmer Cup points for having the dad of a player arrested for assault after he gets into a fight with an assistant coach? Oh also the dad is P Diddy.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/22/8826861/p-diddy-arrested-ucla-fight-football-coach

Attacked him with a god drat kettlebell :laffo:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also the assistant coach in question is that guy on the Jets coaching staff who tripped a player.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Kalli posted:

Also the assistant coach in question is that guy on the Jets coaching staff who tripped a player.

This has the possibility of being a great "Six Degrees From..." game that somehow ends up at Bill Snyder.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

VDay posted:

See Mora!!! This is what appens when you recruit rappersons!!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Kalli posted:

Okay this is now the funniest story.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 23, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/ucla-police-arrest-sean-combs

quote:

UCPD has updated the charges to three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, one count of making terrorist threats and one count of battery. Combs has been booked into the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Inmate Reception Center.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

It's gonna' be something like he told the coach, "You berate my son again & I'll blow your loving office up!" or some poo poo that would require, y'know, nuance before filing formal charges.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Man Diddy why do you have to get so upset, just go chill with your pet penguins and relax

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Man Diddy why do you have to get so upset, just go chill with your pet penguins and relax

He learned absolutely nothing at Burning Man.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

So how long til UCLA gets tired of Puff Daddy's kid wasting a roster spot and let him go play the stretch at some FCS team

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

UCLA gonna suck this year when gatorade gets replaced with Ciroc vodka.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

vyst posted:

UCLA gonna suck this year when gatorade gets replaced with Ciroc vodka.

I look forward to Diddy resurrecting Bad Boyz and re-remixing the classic Craig Mack tune, "Kettlebell in Ya' Ear".

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Don't know what this means to Washington football, but QB Cyler Miles retired due to lingering hip problems.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

He finally got tired of being a preppy no-street-cred-havin busta.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

korrandark posted:

Don't know what this means to Washington football, but QB Cyler Miles retired due to lingering hip problems.

He had already taken an unexpected leave of absence and was going to miss at least spring ball and most likely next season (probably related to the injury). However, the team is probably fully ready to move on, because Miles was very bad.

UW has four QBs on the roster now, with Lindquist as the most experienced, but Jake Browning is the recruiting star freshman (he broke tons of HS records in California), and then we just got a transfer named Tony Rodriguez who spent two years in City College of SF (some junior college) and stood out really well.

It sucks for Miles, but watching his play in the Cactus Bowl was super painful. He also picked a fight with UW students on the night the Seahawks won the super bowl because he was rooting for the Broncos, so yeah, he's also kind of a dick too.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Korranus posted:

So how long til UCLA gets tired of Puff Daddy's kid wasting a roster spot and let him go play the stretch at some FCS team

I figure Mora will do the rear end-opposite and appease Diddy while not backing up his own staff because that seems like a Mora thing to do. You figure Diddy has probably been convinced to drop some cash on the program already so he'll be treated with kid gloves like all boosters.

Listening to the ESPN report they said non-S&C coaches weren't allowed at the workout they had but "parents" were and I use it in that manner because I've never heard of parents really being given free roam for any practices and it's more likely Diddy called up and dictated his schedule and they acquiesced.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The terroristic threats charge is something that has been around forever and is used for anything from "bitch I'll kill you" to threatening to blow up a building. Of course, after 9/11 (never forget) people assume it means literally being a terrorist, though that isnt really the case at all. The charges will get dropped, Diddy will write a check, and his kid will ride the pine.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

seiferguy posted:

It sucks for Miles, but watching his play in the Cactus Bowl was super painful. He also picked a fight with UW students on the night the Seahawks won the super bowl because he was rooting for the Broncos, so yeah, he's also kind of a dick too.

I like this man a lot now

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I see UCLA has their own Adam James now.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
News: Drew Brees just dropped $1m on improving Purdue Football. http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/purdue/2015/06/19/drew-brees-purdue-football-donation-1-million/28986887/

Views: He would have been better off just setting it ablaze.

Anybody who actually enjoyed Purdue football in the late 90's and early 00's is completely gone and over this poo poo show. Good luck with your 'master plan' guys.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Crotch Bat posted:

I figure Mora will do the rear end-opposite and appease Diddy while not backing up his own staff because that seems like a Mora thing to do. You figure Diddy has probably been convinced to drop some cash on the program already so he'll be treated with kid gloves like all boosters.

Listening to the ESPN report they said non-S&C coaches weren't allowed at the workout they had but "parents" were and I use it in that manner because I've never heard of parents really being given free roam for any practices and it's more likely Diddy called up and dictated his schedule and they acquiesced.
That sure is a bunch of stuff you decided to make up. It was an off-season workout in the middle of summer, not a practice, so there weren't other coaches there because why would they spend time watching their players do pushups or run sprints?

KKKLIP ART posted:

The terroristic threats charge is something that has been around forever and is used for anything from "bitch I'll kill you" to threatening to blow up a building. Of course, after 9/11 (never forget) people assume it means literally being a terrorist, though that isnt really the case at all. The charges will get dropped, Diddy will write a check, and his kid will ride the pine.
Yeah I just thought it was funny that P Diddy has now been officially charged with making a terrorist threat. Just makes the whole incident even goofier.

Also his kid has played a few games for us. He's not going to crack the two deep or anything, but he's decent enough to go in during a blowout and let someone rest for a bit. I can see him transferring since he's only a junior, but most likely he'll just continue to sit on the bench and play in 3-4 games next season.

Now Snoop Dogg's son is actually supposed to be pretty good, so can't wait for that fight when he doesn't get much playing time after two seasons.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mayodreams posted:

News: Drew Brees just dropped $1m on improving Purdue Football. http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/purdue/2015/06/19/drew-brees-purdue-football-donation-1-million/28986887/

Views: He would have been better off just setting it ablaze.

Anybody who actually enjoyed Purdue football in the late 90's and early 00's is completely gone and over this poo poo show. Good luck with your 'master plan' guys.

Should have spent it developing a mascot that doesn't cause night terrors.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
For whatever it's worth that coach does not have a great rep. Not an excuse for committing assault, but wouldn't be surprised if he was genuinely doing something lovely (not that anyone will care because FOOTBALL MEN TOUGH blah blah blah)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView posted:

For whatever it's worth that coach does not have a great rep. Not an excuse for committing assault, but wouldn't be surprised if he was genuinely doing something lovely (not that anyone will care because FOOTBALL MEN TOUGH blah blah blah)

Yeah I agree, he tripped a defender who was running on the sidelines while he was an assistant in the NFL, which is a pretty poo poo thing to do. But in this case, it sounds like he was in his office on his phone when Diddy came in red hot. Who knows.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

MourningView posted:

Yeah I instantly thought of those horror stories you hear about strength coaches making kids with asthma run 10 miles in 100 degree weather when it was mentioned that this all happened over a workout. UCLA's Scout site is easily the most informed group of reporters that cover UCLA (mostly due to how lovely the local coverage is from everywhere else) because they have actual sources and know people in the program, and their account of it says that Combs (the kid) was actually kicked out of the session for not giving a great effort, so worst case scenario is Alosi was probably being a huge dick in a dumb attempt to get him motivated. Obviously still have to take everything with a grain of salt because ~sources~ and ~rumors~, but it doesn't seem like Alosi is in any danger here.

e: fwiw Diddy's come out with the full self-defense claim.

VDay fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 23, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

VDay posted:

That sure is a bunch of stuff you decided to make up. It was an off-season workout in the middle of summer, not a practice, so there weren't other coaches there because why would they spend time watching their players do pushups or run sprints?

Actually the ESPN video about it said staff wasn't allowed there and I'd almost guarantee you it's not because they don't want to be, it's because it's a rule set forth by the NCAA. If staff could be there they would because it'd be easy to turn it into a practice of sorts. There's limits at all levels of the sport except I guess the NFL because coaches eventually blur the lines between workout and practice if given the opportunity.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

VDay posted:

P Diddy

Snoop Dogg

Dumb local sports talk guys were joking around about which one of these guys they'd rather fight if they had to choose one, one of them says "Off the top of my head this is the worst thing either one of them has been accused of."

Sports talk radio has a lot of very old white men, I'd stop listening but little moments like that make me feel young.

e: aaaaand it just hit me that this could possibly be a thing a young person but still old enough to be in the workforce might think and now I feel old as hell again. gently caress.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 23, 2015

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Actually the ESPN video about it said staff wasn't allowed there and I'd almost guarantee you it's not because they don't want to be, it's because it's a rule set forth by the NCAA. If staff could be there they would because it'd be easy to turn it into a practice of sorts. There's limits at all levels of the sport except I guess the NFL because coaches eventually blur the lines between workout and practice if given the opportunity.

Dumb question, but how is blurring the lines harmful? Seems like it would be another opportunity to reinforce the playbook or work on fundamentals or practice other techniques. What is the danger?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Morby posted:

Dumb question, but how is blurring the lines harmful? Seems like it would be another opportunity to reinforce the playbook or work on fundamentals or practice other techniques. What is the danger?

It is that the NCAA has very strict rules on how much you're allowed to practice. That's why when people say "having extra practices" is a bonus is a legit advantage.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

It is that the NCAA has very strict rules on how much you're allowed to practice. That's why when people say "having extra practices" is a bonus is a legit advantage.

Oh ok, that makes sense. With college football seasons being as short as they are, any extra time could be an unfair advantage. Having there be time set aside specifically without coaches being there is an attempt to keep the playing field level.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Morby posted:

drunk leprechaun posted:

Because if coaches are allowed to practice whenever and wherever they want they will quite literally end up killing kids. The NCAA limits practice sessions for this and other reasons but allow workouts and such to take place but forbid non-S&C staff from attending. Players themselves can practice all they want(you'll often read about QBs and WRs getting together for this), there just can't be any staff there to help.

Practice is such an invaluable tool that a lot of coaches wouldn't be capable of saying "no". More reps, more time to fix problems, being able to practice more than other teams does make a difference(making a bowl is big for this reason alone to say nothing of the game or exposure, you flat out get extra practices that other teams don't) and if the NCAA wouldn't set a limit problems would undoubtedly arise and none of it would be good for the players. This is definitely one time the NCAA does look out for the kids.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
N: Supposedly there is video of the incident forthcoming.

V:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The judge of the Vandy rape case has declared it a mistrial.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Vanderbilt-rape-case-Mistrial-declared-by-judge-37899726

quote:

Davidson County Criminal Court Judge Monte Watkins declared a mistrial in the case that led to the rape and battery convictions of former Vanderbilt football players Cory Batey and Brandon Vandenburg. The attorneys for Batey and Vandenburg argued for the case to be thrown out on the grounds that the foreman of the jury that convicted their clients didn't reveal that he was once the victim in a statutory rape case.

The jury found Vandenburg and Batey guilty in January of aggravated rape, attempted aggravated rape, and aggravated sexual battery for their roles in the alleged assault of Vandenburg’s then-girlfriend in Vandenburg's dorm room in June 2013. Vandenburg was also found guilty of two other charges, tampering with evidence and unlawful photography.

The judge did not set out in his mistrial order how the case would proceed going forward. The case would need to be tried again in order for Batey and Vandenburg's convictions to be restored.

This is ridiculous on all accounts obviously but would the evidence provided along with the history of a conviction be enough to get the conviction reinstated?

I dont lawyer good

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 23, 2015

• Locked thread