Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One thing I like about MCH is it's nice to be playing a class again that starts out with 3 DPS increases from cross classes (Raging Strikes, B4B, Hawk's Eye). Hitting all of them and then doing some Rapid Fire Spread Shots on a group is pretty fun. :hellyeah:

Thyrork posted:

Bought this during summer sales, gave up on getting in to Excaliber pretty fast and rolled on Hyperion. Goddamn this game is so pretty! :magical:

Cant wait to shoot dudes as a magical, turret using gunslinger. :ocelot:

What's your character name? One of us Hyperigoons can invite you to the linkshell.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Eimi posted:

Pureblood Garleans actually tend to have elezen models, Cid is the one exception who doesn't. It's why Nero or Gaius were so tall, and especially evident on Nael. As for Hilda, she's our resident half breed.

Pureblood Garleans really aren't Hyur when you get down to it. They're a separate race, what with the third eye and all.

Of course, there's also nothing really like them in the lore either. The Allagan didn't have a third eye...

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Killsion posted:

It functions exactly like one of the mechanics in the Siren fight in Pharos Sirius. The effect ends once you hit full health. Also no, there is no way to have the macro go off only after you have "died". Best you can do is "Yo! I popped Living Dead! I'm about to die from something probably, so let me die! Remember to heal me back to full though after or I'll actually die for reals! Thanks!"

Oh is that how that works? Alright, I've heard conflicting reports.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gearhead posted:

Pureblood Garleans really aren't Hyur when you get down to it. They're a separate race, what with the third eye and all.

Of course, there's also nothing really like them in the lore either. The Allagan didn't have a third eye...

Random speculation but maybe the Garleans are an Allagan experiment and the third eye is a magic suppressant. We know the Allagans loved chimeras, and no Garlean can use magic.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

cheetah7071 posted:

Doing every side quest and lldr once per day will get you to 58 and two thirds or so when the msq wants you to be 59, with no gaps at lower levels. This will happen again for level 60. If you're earlier than that, just do lldr or quests, if you're there, run dungeons.

Also remember the new personal hunts unlocked at 53, 56, and 59 give a good chunk of exp and a head start on getting the carbontwine/carboncoat equivalent.

I never really did hunts in vanilla can I solo these or do I need a group?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

What does Deliverance itself do? Do you lose the mitigation from Defiance while it's up?

Defiance got changed for the expansion. Instead of giving stacks of 2% crit, it gives stacks of 2% parry now. A little disappointing, because it actually meant that under Unchained with full stacks, it was a DPS *increase* over being out of Defiance. In any case, the 2% crit-per-stack got moved to Deliverance, and Deliverance itself adds 5% damage on top of it. Changing directly from one to the other converts any stacks you have into the appropriate stack type of the other.

Yes, you lose the mitigation from Defiance while it's up, both the increased HP, and increased healing.

e:fb

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Fat_Cow posted:

I never really did hunts in vanilla can I solo these or do I need a group?

The 53/56/59 bill marks are easily soloable. The A and S ranks that are zone-bosses are not soloable. You need to find the A and S ranks in the wild whereas the bill marks tell you what area the mob is.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Just hit the churning mists and I'm already getting bored of leveling and side quests :sigh:

I like new abilities but leveling is the blurst.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
Sorry if it's already been answered, but what are the class combinations for the new jobs?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mayostard posted:

Sorry if it's already been answered, but what are the class combinations for the new jobs?

they don't have them

they're just unlocked when you get any job to 50 and are their own things

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Just beating the 2.55 quests, no class requirements.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Mayostard posted:

AST: Conjurer & Thaumaturge
DRK: Gladiator & Marauder
MCH: Archer & Lancer

Oh... To unlock it just reaching Ishgard and doing the quest with anything.

Odd Lot
Feb 16, 2011
Man, hearing that Machinist is falling short in DPS is kinda bumming me out. I'd be fine playing a slightly substandard class for the style, but not if it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Does anyone have any parses, or anything like that? I'm curious how much I'd be losing by switching from my monk.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Odd Lot posted:

Man, hearing that Machinist is falling short in DPS is kinda bumming me out. I'd be fine playing a slightly substandard class for the style, but not if it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Does anyone have any parses, or anything like that? I'm curious how much I'd be losing by switching from my monk.

Most parses are incorrectly reading their dot and wildfire. And the figures given using said parses are ranging from as "bad" as being 10% below other dps to outrageous claims of doing 30% of the damage of a real dps.

If they are bad they'll get buffed, if they aren't who cares. Either way it only matters for progression raiding.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Minrad posted:

Most parses are incorrectly reading their dot and wildfire. And the figures given using said parses are ranging from as "bad" as being 10% below other dps to outrageous claims of doing 30% of the damage of a real dps.

If they are bad they'll get buffed, if they aren't who cares. Either way it only matters for progression raiding.

It's okay, the WARs will pick up the slack whichever way it is. :black101:

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Minrad posted:

Parser was updated yesterday and it includes Wildfire and their dot.

Edit: Also looks like my intuition earlier was right. Gauss Barrel is a DPS decrease for everything but AoE, even without taking movement into account. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cB-j_r0xrHGO99H8l5eGNau_Sx-gSRhXjEehVWpYrxU/edit#gid=469259023

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Riftling posted:

Parser was updated yesterday and it includes Wildfire and their dot.

Edit: Also looks like my intuition earlier was right. Gauss Barrel is a DPS decrease for everything but AoE, even without taking movement into account. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cB-j_r0xrHGO99H8l5eGNau_Sx-gSRhXjEehVWpYrxU/edit#gid=469259023

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3apfqq/mcn_and_parsing/cseqmzz

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
crafting level 51 items with gutter gear and no supra/lucius tool sucks

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Odd Lot posted:

I wouldn't worry at all about them falling short in terms of pure numbers. If they really are below the norm, buffing the potency of some of their abilities is a very simple fix and should happen relatively quickly. The only thing you should care about is whether you find their play style enjoyable or not, because that's the thing that is least likely to change in the short-term.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
People in this game are surprisingly nice. People actually explain fights to you if you tell them you're new and its your first time for dungeons instead of rolling their eyes and groaning about it. Maybe because I'm doing the low level dungeons and everything changes when it gets higher. Also running around doing my quests I'd get random whispers asking how I'm enjoying the game and if I needed help in anything because they saw the sproutling beside my name. Its not just one person either, I've gotten dozen of these whispers already. Its really strange and somewhat frightening how nice everyone is being.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

crafting level 51 items with gutter gear and no supra/lucius tool sucks
I don't know about that, but having half the materials being from 55 second unspoiled nodes is some bullshit, especially when I don't think people have gathered all the timing together yet.

edit: You'll probably want to take the 45+ leves to get to 53 (takes around 15 or so), and then get the mainhand and offhand. Mainhand is worse than lucis but offhand is better than artisan even after melds.

Even that is sort of expensive though since the material supply isn't that high for some of the rarer stuff.

Algid fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 22, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I wouldn't worry at all about them falling short in terms of pure numbers. If they really are below the norm, buffing the potency of some of their abilities is a very simple fix and should happen relatively quickly. The only thing you should care about is whether you find their play style enjoyable or not, because that's the thing that is least likely to change in the short-term.

I think fun is the real problem, though

it's not fun to hammer 1 over and over because you can't get a proc

it's not fun to die over and over in instanced story content while other DPS breeze on through

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Algid posted:

I don't know about that, but having half the materials being from 55 second unspoiled nodes is some bullshit, especially when I don't think people have gathered all the timing together yet.

what?

none of the early crafting requires unspoiled stuff. mythrite ore/titanium ore are just hidden, not from unspoiled.

mythrite ore and titanium ore just only show up sometimes on regular-rear end nodes and if they do show up you get as many of them as hits you succeed. they're not from unspoiled nodes.

e: well some of it requires pre-hw unspoiled for some godforsaken reason actually who thought "you know what they wanna do in the expac? go back and wait for darksteel again" was a good idea

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blockhouse posted:

it's not fun to die over and over in instanced story content while other DPS breeze on through

Yesterday I didn't even get one clean shot proc between reloads not once, but twice in a single run. I haven't played it since.

It might be like not getting any fire starters but it felt a lot worse :(

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Fire I at least does damage.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

what?

none of the early crafting requires unspoiled stuff. mythrite ore/titanium ore are just hidden, not from unspoiled.

mythrite ore and titanium ore just only show up sometimes on regular-rear end nodes and if they do show up you get as many of them as hits you succeed. they're not from unspoiled nodes.

e: well some of it requires pre-hw unspoiled for some godforsaken reason actually who thought "you know what they wanna do in the expac? go back and wait for darksteel again" was a good idea
Nope, alc needs new unspoiled stuff, and so does ltw. This is for basic skins and holy water by the way, which is to say: the most basic poo poo that goes in half the recipes for other classes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah at least you're still doing something

it doesn't help that the sound effect for everything but clean shot is super underwhelming so you literally feel like you're just shooting a pop gun while dragoons do rising spear uppercuts and ninjas do crazy flip slashes

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Re-dl'ing this game, mostly because I miss dungeons.

pretty much startin from scratch, used to have a level 50 White Mage back in Oct-November '13. Had some awesome macros...

Benediction is the best White Mage Skill there is, you're an idiot if you think its something else.

Anyways, I'm going for a catgirl monk or highlander hyur monk, still thinking on it. Its gonna suck leveling lancer to fuckin 34 though.

So, I was just wondering a couple things, people still run lowbie dungeons? And what servers do you guys play on?
My biggest regret leaving this game was not completing the Coil either :c, but I was in a huge depression funk and the pressures of being a healer got to me ; 3 ; while I initially wanted to be a monk.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I'm unsure of the MCH DPS worries, but the way the class plays sounds fundamentally flawed.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Algid posted:

Nope, alc needs new unspoiled stuff, and so does ltw. This is for basic skins and holy water by the way, which is to say: the most basic poo poo that goes in half the recipes for other classes.

so it does

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

Benediction is the best White Mage Skill there is, you're an idiot if you think its something else.

Heh, look at this pre-Assize scrub :smug:

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Fister Roboto posted:

Screw all your anime lizard girls or whatever.

I'm a loving lion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0p1YNkqhI

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

What are we having for dinner?

Mr E posted:

How the hell did I miss this, I though it might just be me being really dumb.

That particular button was pretty idiot proof but the FFXIV website is horribly convoluted for everything else so just say you expected it to be some obscure button hiding on a page nobody could find like everything else on the site and you're good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Since I don't have the leves to level drk up I think I'll pick up dragoon again. Seems appropriate for the expansion and they look like they have really cool post-50 abilities.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Minrad posted:

Heh, look at this pre-Assize scrub :smug:

rear end... size?~ :smugjones:

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Velveteen posted:

I'd get random whispers asking how I'm enjoying the game and if I needed help in anything because they saw the sproutling beside my name. Its not just one person either, I've gotten dozen of these whispers already. Its really strange and somewhat frightening how nice everyone is being.

((\$|USD).(Gil|gil))|((Gil|gil).(\$|USD))
Promotion
PVPG[0oO]
[gG]i1
====
\d+%\s+[bB]onus
\d+%\s*[o0O]ff
[fF]ast [dD]elivery
[dD]elivery in \d+
[Cc]heapest\s*[gG][i1I][lL]

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

rear end... size?~ :smugjones:

It heals, it does damage, it's aoe, it's instant cast, it restores mana

It literally does everything :shepface:

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

glad you're enjoying the game though

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Minrad posted:

It heals, it does damage, it's aoe, it's instant cast, it restores mana

It literally does everything :shepface:

drat!~

I just have fond memories of Benediction in those 50 dungeons while the tank was crying and I'd just time it absolutely perfectly, he expected to die on the spot so he stopped moving. It was so clutch that I think he was a bit dumbfounded for a few seconds before doing a taunt.

That's cool to know though, does it make White Mage better than Scholars~

I mean well, they always were :^)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Ciaphas posted:

We talked about it for a while in PBC FC yesterday, but let's talk about { Dark Arts }. What do you all tend to use it on, and when do you not use it? I'm finding it sort of unsafe to use at below 50% mana; and unless you're at full mana using it with Dark Passenger is practically a death sentence.

Early on I'll pop it for Power Slash (or if I feel like I need the extra enmity), but generally I use it to buff up Dark Dance or Dark Passenger for blind on trash.

I don't use it and dark passenger unless I've got over 50% mana either, generally.

e: I'll also Dark Arts a Soul Eater if I've got high mp and high threat and don't have to worry about either in the immediate future.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 22, 2015

• Locked thread