Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Is there a good human cleric? branwen is chaotic neutral and she'll leave when i get my rep crazy high as i plan to do. Gonna do a cleric/thief on my next run--how fast do you regen hps at 20 con? I generally do a dwarven cleric/thief with 19 con then get that buckler and push myself to 20 but that -2 dex hurts esp since i want to be a melee tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*
Hey, Arghy.

Here's a Marxo voice pack for ya.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wait theres voice packs for this game?!

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Arghy posted:

Is there a good human cleric? branwen is chaotic neutral and she'll leave when i get my rep crazy high as i plan to do. Gonna do a cleric/thief on my next run--how fast do you regen hps at 20 con? I generally do a dwarven cleric/thief with 19 con then get that buckler and push myself to 20 but that -2 dex hurts esp since i want to be a melee tank.

Neutrals don't leave for high rep, only low rep.

Dorn (and any other evil party member), however, will leave you when your rep hits 19. Any evil party members you recruit when your rep is already 19 or 20 will leave the first time xp is awarded. So if you're playing max-rep evil, Branwen is a perfectly solid cleric.

20 con gives you one hit point per turn, so 1 hit point per minute real-time. Also, keep in mind that cleric/thief has issues, in that the only weapons you'll be able to backstab with are clubs and quarterstaffs. http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur%27s_Gate:_Dual_and_Multiclassing#Cleric.2FThief

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 19, 2015

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Arghy posted:

Branwen is true neutral and will stay in your party with a 20 reputation.

A 20 con will regenerate 1hp per TURN, not per round, so you get 1hp back per minute. That's too low to be reliable in combat but it still means you'll get a full heal from any area transition.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Taliesyn posted:

Neutrals don't leave for high rep, only low rep.

Dorn (and any other evil party member), however, will leave you when your rep hits 19. Any evil party members you recruit when your rep is already 19 or 20 will leave the first time xp is awarded. So if you're playing max-rep evil, Branwen is a perfectly solid cleric.

20 con gives you one hit point per turn, so 1 hit point per minute real-time. Also, keep in mind that cleric/thief has issues, in that the only weapons you'll be able to backstab with are clubs and quarterstaffs. http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur%27s_Gate:_Dual_and_Multiclassing#Cleric.2FThief

I never backstab anyhow i just use thiefs as ranged units and trap finders/lock slaves. A melee thief is usually reloading the quick save repeatedly or spending 10 minutes setting up a fight i can normally just breeze through. I tried to make backstab work but holy gently caress the fail rate on hide in shadows just blows it for me and i got tired of getting killed by lucky hits. I don't know why backstab isn't a normal passive ability if your behind the target it would save so much micro. I like cleric/thief because that fills 2 extremely important roles in the group and i can then get really flexible with whoever else i want in my party.

Well thats a good thing 20 con sucks so bad cause i can prolly rock a 18 wis/cha/dex cleric/thief though i might just go 16 cha and kill that dude and get his cloak. How is the dwarven defender?

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
With what Arghy said, how does one repeatedly backstab? I've heard of people doing this with specific builds but I don't remember how to pull it off. Gnome thief/illusionist, maybe?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

OregonDonor posted:

With what Arghy said, how does one repeatedly backstab? I've heard of people doing this with specific builds but I don't remember how to pull it off. Gnome thief/illusionist, maybe?

Misdirect apparently allows you to do exactly this.

Selane
May 19, 2006

The assassination HLA turns all of your attacks for the round into backstabs.

You can also cast Mislead, but keep in mind that using Mislead in any capacity is tantamount to cheating so I don't know if you wanna go there or not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You can also:

Use an invisibility item on someone (eg Ring of Invisibility, the level 2 wizard spell, etc)
Blind the thief and Hide in Shadows (the test is done on whether the thief can see someone, not vice versa)
Just run away around the corner

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Yeah, easiest way to chain backstab is some sort of easy invisibility - usually potions.

Dwarven Defender is a kit, which means single-class fighter since it's dwarf-only.

As to how they play? Think of a brick wall.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'm around lv5-6 on all my party with -5 AC and 2 wizards, could i kill drizzt? I got 2 blackguards so if the life drain spells hit thats big and i can create a pretty big summoned army to face him. Seeing as i have 2 evil drow in my party atm this seems like an important thing.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

As others have said, you need to abuse wands of summoning and kill him with arrows. If he gets into melee with any of your characters, expect them to get chunked.

That said, if you have a couple wands of summoning and a bunch of missile weapons and enough ammo, you can kill him at level 1. It just takes forever.

Also, keep in mind that there will be (minor) repercussions in Shadows of Amn.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Even at your level a lot of your characters will only be hitting him on natural 20s. Takes about 10 minutes with a full party, one character running in circles and the others shooting

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Taliesyn posted:

Also, keep in mind that there will be (minor) repercussions in Shadows of Amn.

I think the repercussions only activate if you take his gear to shadows of amn.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Iretep posted:

I think the repercussions only activate if you take his gear to shadows of amn.

True, but his gear is some of the best in BG, so it's overwhelmingly likely to be carried over.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Arghy posted:

I'm around lv5-6 on all my party with -5 AC and 2 wizards, could i kill drizzt? I got 2 blackguards so if the life drain spells hit thats big and i can create a pretty big summoned army to face him. Seeing as i have 2 evil drow in my party atm this seems like an important thing.

He's such a lovely mary sue that he's like level 15 or something, so even at cap it's really hard to kill him without a bunch of dudes dying. I posted a spoiler way to kill him a few posts ago so you can do that, it's the easiest way. I think it's cool to carry it over into SoA too, that is one of the funnest fights in the game imo, killing all those shits is cathartic.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Fiddling around with Icewind Dale: EE in EE Keeper, trying to get a playable Kobold that doesn't crash the game (I am a dork and want to recreate the evil Castle Arcania party). Near as I can figure, the easiest thing would be to just make a human Fighter and then swap him into being a Kobold with his appearance, race and such, as trying to put in a straight Kobold creature just crashes the game out when he gains a level...but for whatever reason his voice won't change to a Kobold, he keeps whatever voice I gave him at the character select screen. There appears to be no option to just change the voice in either the game itself (obviously, since there's no Kobold class), nor in EE Keeper...which is annoying since if I use it to just hack in a Kobold creature, *then* I have my Kobold chittering. So it's there, I just can't figure out how to transfer it to my Human nee Kobold.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeathChicken posted:

Fiddling around with Icewind Dale: EE in EE Keeper, trying to get a playable Kobold that doesn't crash the game (I am a dork and want to recreate the evil Castle Arcania party). Near as I can figure, the easiest thing would be to just make a human Fighter and then swap him into being a Kobold with his appearance, race and such, as trying to put in a straight Kobold creature just crashes the game out when he gains a level...but for whatever reason his voice won't change to a Kobold, he keeps whatever voice I gave him at the character select screen. There appears to be no option to just change the voice in either the game itself (obviously, since there's no Kobold class), nor in EE Keeper...which is annoying since if I use it to just hack in a Kobold creature, *then* I have my Kobold chittering. So it's there, I just can't figure out how to transfer it to my Human nee Kobold.

I would just change your sprite to a kobold and then put your stats where you think they should be and ignore what it says your race is in the game.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

HES DEAD! NO EXPLOITS EITHER! seriously just spam him with monster summoning and buff the ever loving crap outta some melee dudes--2 black guards helped immensely because thats 20 hps he can't resist then poisoned blades with haste and hes hosed!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Right, I can change the appearance easily enough through EE, it's trying to swap his voice out for the in-game Kobold chittering that's the problem.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You'd need to make a Kobold voice pack.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh wow this is some BS one of drizzt's swords can't be wielded by anyone evil and my party is all loving evil and the chainmail barely helps because everyones got that green plate or full plate. It also doesn't stack with protection stuff which is stupid, why get that chainmail when i can get plate+protection?

gently caress you drizzt now i'm gonna gun for you with my good party just because of your sword!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

Oh wow this is some BS one of drizzt's swords can't be wielded by anyone evil and my party is all loving evil and the chainmail barely helps because everyones got that green plate or full plate. It also doesn't stack with protection stuff which is stupid, why get that chainmail when i can get plate+protection?

gently caress you drizzt now i'm gonna gun for you with my good party just because of your sword!

I use that program....who's name I can't remember, to remove the alignment restrictions on his poo poo for exactly that reason.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

No magical armor will stack with 'protection stuff'.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Ankheg plate is crazy overpowered in BG1.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

My archer in BG1 just rains death on everything. 74% of party kills, 68% experience value, 679 kills. Thac0 of 4, 10-15 damage, 5/2 attacks a round. Level 6. My party is Coran (main tank with his -6 AC), Faldorn, Neera, Safana, Rasaad (for fun). I feel like I don't utilize my spellcasting enough, but my archer usually just wrecks things. I've about 70k gold and have no clue what to spend it on. I've just hit Baldur's gate. Not sure what I'm going to be doing next.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bunnielab posted:

I use that program....who's name I can't remember, to remove the alignment restrictions on his poo poo for exactly that reason.

Dunno if it works for EE but NearInfinity is super easy to use and make modifications with.

Like seriously Baldur's Gate is incredibly easy to mod so long as you aren't inserting spell graphics and poo poo. Just about everything you can do with everything else is cleanly and clearly labelled and it;s all very self explanatory.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Quantumfate posted:

My archer in BG1 just rains death on everything. 74% of party kills, 68% experience value, 679 kills. Thac0 of 4, 10-15 damage, 5/2 attacks a round. Level 6. My party is Coran (main tank with his -6 AC), Faldorn, Neera, Safana, Rasaad (for fun). I feel like I don't utilize my spellcasting enough, but my archer usually just wrecks things. I've about 70k gold and have no clue what to spend it on. I've just hit Baldur's gate. Not sure what I'm going to be doing next.

Archers in BG1 are like that, you're bringing an assault rifle to a knife fight. Later games this dies down a bit with the proliferation of magic users, but archer is still viable for the trilogy.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
BG2 is also much more generous with healing and less restrictive on resting, so staying back and taking no damage, while still effective, isn't the dominant strategy anymore.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Quantumfate posted:

I've about 70k gold and have no clue what to spend it on. I've just hit Baldur's gate.

The answer is: "Arrows of Detonation", with a side order of Arrows of Dispelling. Just keep clear of the blast radius.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Those arrows seem to be a great investment, thanks! Anything else to piss my money away on?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

Your archer will plateau in mid BG2. Only in the sense that they'll be making 3 attacks per round and hitting every single one, which is a pretty loving high plateau, but past that point theyre really only gaining HP with each level, and an extra +1 damage every few levels.

Meanwhile fighters will be doing 5APR and hitting every one by the end of BG2 and your mages will be casting timestop, abi dalzim's horrid wilting, dragon's breath etc

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 23, 2015

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Sometimes one forgets that an archer is still an extremely capable melee fighter. They have warrior HP, THAC0 and bonus attacks per round, they're just limited to 1 pip in melee weapons.

The first character I went through the whole saga with was an archer. By the end of ToB he was mostly meleeing with everyone else who wasn't an arcane caster.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Suspicious posted:

Sometimes one forgets that an archer is still an extremely capable melee fighter. They have warrior HP, THAC0 and bonus attacks per round, they're just limited to 1 pip in melee weapons.

The first character I went through the whole saga with was an archer. By the end of ToB he was mostly meleeing with everyone else who wasn't an arcane caster.

Also, having a bow as your first weapon makes a good excuse to use Halberds and Great Swords instead of Sword and Shield. When I modded Valgyr into an archer he got most of his kills with Dragon's Bane and The Wave.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
I haven't played an Infinity Engine game in about 12 years and picked up Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition in the Steam sale. This is the party I was thinking of using:

Paladin (Cavalier, maybe?)
Fighter
Fighter/Thief
Ranger/Cleric
Mage
Bard

Is this a pretty decent setup? I remember Bards being pretty good in IWD and having a cleric, thief, and mage seemed essential.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gullah jack posted:

I haven't played an Infinity Engine game in about 12 years and picked up Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition in the Steam sale. This is the party I was thinking of using:

Paladin (Cavalier, maybe?)
Fighter
Fighter/Thief
Ranger/Cleric
Mage
Bard

Is this a pretty decent setup? I remember Bards being pretty good in IWD and having a cleric, thief, and mage seemed essential.

You should be fime, if you want to break the game in half make your paladin an inquitor.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Skwirl posted:

You should be fime, if you want to break the game in half make your paladin an inquitor.

Is inquisitor that game breaking in Icewind Dale? Unlike BG 2 mages are fairly sparse in the dales which is what made inquisitors so drat nuts in 2.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Metal Meltdown posted:

Is inquisitor that game breaking in Icewind Dale? Unlike BG 2 mages are fairly sparse in the dales which is what made inquisitors so drat nuts in 2.
Yeah, I don't remember a ton of crazy mage fights in IWD like there were in BG2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Metal Meltdown posted:

Dispelling all buffs/debuffs and free True Sight are pretty good. There aren't a ton of mages, but there's a good number of spell casting monsters. I honestly can't remember what Cavaliers get, But unless it's better than some situational plus 1's or 2's on to hit rolls I stand by my original statement.