Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Make sure you use every piano and get every song along the way. There's only a couple of songs you can miss and they're pretty niche but you might as well get everything. If your last class is chemist get ready to farm for a long time in World 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Poulpe posted:

Can you guys speak to any important "missables"? I don't know if there's any important sidequests to do before leaving world 1, for example.

Depends on your class. The only really big missable on World 1 that I know of is Romeo's Ballad (I think that's missable, anyway), and that's only relevant if you're a bard. Thief's glove is also sort of missable (it pops up 3 times, and all 3 are missable).

Well, basically, missables are entirely dependent on your class lineup.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Supremezero posted:

Depends on your class. The only really big missable on World 1 that I know of is Romeo's Ballad (I think that's missable, anyway), and that's only relevant if you're a bard. Thief's glove is also sort of missable (it pops up 3 times, and all 3 are missable).

Well, basically, missables are entirely dependent on your class lineup.

I am pretty sure you can always get the Thief glove by going into the flame ship's interior, which you can still access in World 3.

Edward_Tohr posted:

They cast it when confused, I'm pretty sure.

Oh holy poo poo thank you, the wiki said I had to use !Control so I almost left World 2 without getting it. I can now play the rest of the game on autopilot. Thanks!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 22, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think the Control and Confuse options are identical, just using !Control removes the RNG aspect(s) of it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm doing my first run of this game ever and I have thief as my starting class. I can't believe I never played this game before, it's got pretty much everything I'd want out of a final fantasy game

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Am I allowed to ask for all my jobs in advance or is that cheating?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dragonatrix posted:

I think the Control and Confuse options are identical, just using !Control removes the RNG aspect(s) of it.

In this case, but there are some enemies with skills that they won't use even when confused.

OzFactor posted:

No, it's fine. Some people like the suspense, but if you don't, you can get them all now.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

OzFactor posted:

Technically cheating, though there's very few things you can actually do differently enough to matter, and nobody really cares. I would say to do it in order, just because it will keep you from using a lovely team combination as an excuse to not finish the game. At least if you get to the Earth crystal on your own you'll be far enough into the game to be invested in finishing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the biggest thing to be gained from knowing in advance, imo, is knowing whether or not you should farm chemist ingredients before Galuf takes off for his home planet. Otherwise it's just mostly for planning purposes.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
I drew Monk/Berserker/Bard/Chemist.

So... not half-bad, I guess?

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Random run, Blue Mage/White Mage/Mystic Knight/Chemist, gg FFV, gg

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Looks like my final team is going to be Blue Mage, Berserker, Beastmaster, Ninja. I think I can live with this.

Other than using control to learn blue magic I don't know a whole lot about Beastmasters. Is there a good place to learn what monsters I should be capturing?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
berserker
red mage
samurai
?????

gonna use this as an excuse to finish ffv for the first time, instead of getting to the final dungeon and quitting

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

How would an unsupported Blue Mage set Confuse? Wait for the Wonder Wand?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Final party ended up being Black Mage/Berserker/Ninja/Chemist. That seems acceptable to me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dancingbears posted:

How would an unsupported Blue Mage set Confuse? Wait for the Wonder Wand?

dancing dagger or wonder wand yeah

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Seravadon posted:

Other than using control to learn blue magic I don't know a whole lot about Beastmasters. Is there a good place to learn what monsters I should be capturing?

There are lists all over the place of which monsters do what when released. This list was the first one I found.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

I love Hyate's Bow.

Tybolt
Jul 27, 2014
Is there a way to decently emulate the PS1 version? ePSXe and PCSXR apparently both suck and the PS3 won't play the black label Anthology version because of the stupid save glitch it's got going on. I re-bought this for the Fiesta this year (never finished it when I bought it back when) and it's pretty much the only iteration of FFV I haven't finished, so I'm feeling pretty defeated right now.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my first job was monk, my second job is samurai.......................................

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tybolt posted:

Is there a way to decently emulate the PS1 version? ePSXe and PCSXR apparently both suck and the PS3 won't play the black label Anthology version because of the stupid save glitch it's got going on. I re-bought this for the Fiesta this year (never finished it when I bought it back when) and it's pretty much the only iteration of FFV I haven't finished, so I'm feeling pretty defeated right now.

The collections are playable through pSX, but they all have some graphical errors going on (and you have to use the second memory card for V).

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
looks like i'm going Bard Bard Samurai Dancer this year...

interesting.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

This will never, ever, ever get old.

setafd posted:

my first job was monk, my second job is samurai.......................................

Looks like three Earth jobs for you then.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fartz% is a tricky amount to get but dancing all night achieves it. Eventually.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
Proud recent entrant into Team #Reg Four White Mage Wind Crystal. Congratulations to my hard start and easy finish

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anyone got a monk save right before the Water Crystal? I overwrote my save I had and I really don't want to do the pirate ship and mountain again.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

This will never, ever, ever get old.

Looks like three Earth jobs for you then.

sure enough, my third job is chemist

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So, my first job is Black Mage, my Second is Red Mage. Is there any reason not to run 3 Red/1 Black with !Black for now? !Black carries over the magic stat, right?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Prison Warden posted:

So, my first job is Black Mage, my Second is Red Mage. Is there any reason not to run 3 Red/1 Black with !Black for now? !Black carries over the magic stat, right?

Partially. It'll still be way higher than a Red Mage's, so yeah, if you want to work on getting !Red leveled (and make inroads towards !Dualcast), then sure.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
it'd be hilarious if i got a white mage as my earth job on chaos

white mage, black mage, red mage, berserker

doublecasts all the way and also That Guy

edit: oh poo poo what's my plan against archaeovis if it absorbs all elements?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My second Job is Berserker so now I have to get to the fire ship with 4 berserkers, so I can nab Ninja and whatever my third job is.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Doctor Goat posted:

The last form? Get out your daggers/flail and shiv the fucker.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Status report: about two hours in, Team Thief is past the Ship Graveyard, all three chars at level 9 / job level 3, Siren went down on the second try. So far it's easier than expected. Made it to the boss on top of the mountain but that one hits like a loving truck, so I'll probably have to go back to an earlier save and grind some.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Actually can someone upload a save outside of the tower with the water crystal for the GBA?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

it'd be hilarious if i got a white mage as my earth job on chaos

white mage, black mage, red mage, berserker

doublecasts all the way and also That Guy

yoou've got a guy with an axe, hit him with the axe. just don't equip a death sickle

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

berserker... i got berserker :negative:

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

berserker... i got berserker :negative:

You can whine when all of your classes before Sand Worm are berserker.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MaskedHuzzah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKDeiMD9a7w

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So Knight/Summoner

Fire job is Bard.

From what I'm researching, it seems like it doesn't even matter what my Earth job is now? Have I basically won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MaskedHuzzah posted:

:agreed:

• Locked thread