Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Knormal posted:

So remember this guy I got a few weeks ago?

So to summarize,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRnEOUxZm0&t=48s

I was hoping to see a chase video of you chasing him around, set to Yakity Sax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nah, it's like a bag with little chopped up bits in it. Looks like chopped up carrots and green beans. It's this stuff:
http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/food/all-living-things-dried-reptile-food-mix-zid36-21544/cat-36-catid-500004

Try giving her some real, fresh chopped veggies and fruits and see if she eats them. If she does, toss that poo poo out.

Newb-o-Vision
Oct 15, 2012

Golly!
I had some trouble getting my bearded dragon to eat vegetables. The lack of roughage caused her to become impacted eventually.

I found that if I put a bit of Crested Gecko Diet on some Collard Greens or a slice of Squash, she would go bananas for it. I slowly backed off on the crested diet but she kept the feeding response it caused.

This stuff.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nah, it's like a bag with little chopped up bits in it. Looks like chopped up carrots and green beans. It's this stuff:
http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/food/all-living-things-dried-reptile-food-mix-zid36-21544/cat-36-catid-500004

Can you try giving her real, fresh salad? No lettuce (too much water) but dandelion greens, arugula, and squash are good staples. Berries are like lizard crack, you can give her a couple raspberries as a treat.

As for her tank, I would suggest another hide so that you have hides on both the warm and cool sides.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I kinda want a blue tongued skink. I would just have to figure out where the hell to put the tank. My room already has a wall of tanks and the Tokay's tank is taking up the living room. Also, my Tokay is broken. He isn't mean anymore. He opens his mouth angrily at me like once every couple months and hasn't bit me in like a year and a half. Totally chill dude.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

PK posted:

Can you try giving her real, fresh salad? No lettuce (too much water) but dandelion greens, arugula, and squash are good staples. Berries are like lizard crack, you can give her a couple raspberries as a treat.

As for her tank, I would suggest another hide so that you have hides on both the warm and cool sides.

I can try that.

I tried feeding her the veggie mix, as well as some chopped up pineapple and grapes. (I checked to make sure they could eat them.) The only thing she actually tried to eat was the pineapple, and even then she had a little difficulty as she tried grabbing it with her tongue like she would a bug and it usually just slipped out. She ate a piece or two and gave up. I had to hand feed her the pineapple and when I tried it with the grapes she was like "lol nope."

The school would feed her like 7 crickets a day, and I'm told she's about 3 or 4 and she's way too old to be eating like that. From what I've heard, is that it can sometimes be a pain getting them to eat their veggies. Just like children.

I also have a few superworms, but I know not to feed her too many of these as they're fatty and more of a treat than anything else. She likes them though, of course.

I also think her water bowl (which is more of a pool) might be a little too big. Beardies don't really swim AFAIK, I haven't seen her in it, and her tank seems to be too humid according to my thermometer. Of course granted, I also live in a pretty humid place.

She also seems to have calmed down a lot and is no longer glass surfing, which is good.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Careful with grapes, I've heard grape skins aren't digestible so a big piece of skin can block up their intestines like swallowing a balloon. I imagine chopped grapes would be okay as long as the skin pieces were small enough.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I thought I lost Electra this morning.

I went in to feed her, couldn't find her in the plants, in her ship, or anything. I even looked behind the polystyrene wall and dug my fingers through the substrate in case she'd buried herself. I eventually gave up and started looking around the room (though there was no escape hole/route I could see) and my housemate just says 'oh, there she is.' She was downright camoflauged against the polystyrene wall, and was pissy that I'd upset her whole tank in trying to find her.

:argh:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Cless Alvein posted:

I kinda want a blue tongued skink. I would just have to figure out where the hell to put the tank. My room already has a wall of tanks and the Tokay's tank is taking up the living room. Also, my Tokay is broken. He isn't mean anymore. He opens his mouth angrily at me like once every couple months and hasn't bit me in like a year and a half. Totally chill dude.

Get a tame bluey when they bite it's like having your fingers slammed in a car door. Do not cheap out and get an import like me or you have months of careful handling acclimation ahead of you with something that can probably dislocate your finger if it wants to. That said, he's really loving cool and I think he's smart? I dunno I just have snakes but he looks me in the eye and tilts his head when I talk at him so that's pretty cool.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

I can try that.

I tried feeding her the veggie mix, as well as some chopped up pineapple and grapes. (I checked to make sure they could eat them.) The only thing she actually tried to eat was the pineapple, and even then she had a little difficulty as she tried grabbing it with her tongue like she would a bug and it usually just slipped out. She ate a piece or two and gave up. I had to hand feed her the pineapple and when I tried it with the grapes she was like "lol nope."

The school would feed her like 7 crickets a day, and I'm told she's about 3 or 4 and she's way too old to be eating like that. From what I've heard, is that it can sometimes be a pain getting them to eat their veggies. Just like children.

I also have a few superworms, but I know not to feed her too many of these as they're fatty and more of a treat than anything else. She likes them though, of course.

I also think her water bowl (which is more of a pool) might be a little too big. Beardies don't really swim AFAIK, I haven't seen her in it, and her tank seems to be too humid according to my thermometer. Of course granted, I also live in a pretty humid place.

She also seems to have calmed down a lot and is no longer glass surfing, which is good.

Try sprinkling some basil or mint on the salad to grab her interest. If you want to take out the water dish you could supplement with weekly baths.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Silver Nitrate posted:

Get a tame bluey when they bite it's like having your fingers slammed in a car door. Do not cheap out and get an import like me or you have months of careful handling acclimation ahead of you with something that can probably dislocate your finger if it wants to. That said, he's really loving cool and I think he's smart? I dunno I just have snakes but he looks me in the eye and tilts his head when I talk at him so that's pretty cool.

Aren't they up there with Monitors and Tegus in the intelligence category? It'll probably be a ways away since I wanna do some more research, figure out where to put they tank and def look into getting a CB. I'm kinda surprised at price, but then that shouldn't be too surprising since they have 1 clutch at year with like 15 babies. Maybe I'll see what they have at the next repticon in St. Charles, IL whenever they announce it.

Quezacotl
Aug 5, 2006

I'm an atheist. Deal with it.
So a while ago I posted in this thread about maybe getting a bearded dragon. In early May I went and did just that. Heres a picture of him in early May when I first got him.

And here's a picture of him today.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
Hey so I'm back around again after many months of not following the thread. Just paired my first cresteds and eagerly awaiting what I might produce this fall. I was digging back on some of the old big names in the herp thread to see if they're still around, particularly those who breed Rhacs, and I see that a lot have moved on. I was particularly sad to see the drama bomb that was Cpt. Foxy and Pardalis. I always appreciated Pardalis' advice but looks like she's been gone for over a year.

So anyways. My pair are now 3 years old and both over 40g so I've decided to finally pair them and start my little project. Trouble is I haven't really been keeping up with anything Crestie related in the mean time. So who all are the majors around here for Cresties or other Rhacs? What's the scene like these days? When I started 3 years ago I picked up two nice pinstripe females from Mendel Geckos (who also went out of business) that were from AC stock. One female died but I still have my 100% pinstripe stunner. I'm pairing her with a bright yellow and cream male with about 80% complete striping. Hoping for something decent and maybe something I can make some money on after holdbacks so I can buy a better stud.

Are structure/pinning still very desirable or are there some crazy combos now. The Pangea forums are ripe with stuff but looks like Reds are still all the rage unless I'm missing something.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yellow pins, quad stripes, and reds are hot this year. Anything else isn't really selling great unless you're selling low.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Silver Nitrate posted:

Forgot to ask. What size tank is your Bluey in? I'm trying to decide if it would be cheaper/easier to wait for petco sale and get a 40L or 55G or just build my own frag tank.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
He's in a 40L and it's a bit too small, after I move he's getting a proper 4'x2'x1' cage.

In my area, Dals are selling like hotcakes because everyone got out of them and now there's only one local person breeding them :v:

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Quezacotl posted:

So a while ago I posted in this thread about maybe getting a bearded dragon. In early May I went and did just that. Heres a picture of him in early May when I first got him.

And here's a picture of him today.

Looks like his pancake tummy is growing nicely

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I have never seen him turn this shade of green before. It was an amazing emerald green.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
New post. So I think I'm moving forward with the Skink and I'm in the process of planning out to build a tank out of melamine with inside dimensions of 4x2x2. I'm just slightly stumped on how to address the lighting. Any ideas? I'm leaning to just installed some a couple ceramic bulbs or a mercury vapor socket to the ceiling and an LED strip.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 19, 2015

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Snake health question:
I got a road hit kingsnake a few days ago that I think was clipped on the left side of his face. He is mostly/completely blind in one eye now, and he yawns/stretches his jaw pretty frequently on the hosed up side of his face. I don't see any major issues when he does it (everything has a decent light pink colour to it) except it's a deeper purple in the back by the esophagus. There is also a noticeable bulge just past the start of his throat on the same side. He also can't really tongue flick much anymore. I'm trying to decide if this is even an issue I could find a vet to look at (I'm guessing he would need x-rays), or if I should wait it out and see how the snake does. Shortly after we collected him, he passed a fecal that didn't have any blood in it, so I'm hoping for little to no internal damage on that front. Overall, I would guess his jawbone is broke on one side, and it's probably not fixable. If it sets funny I'll just feed him small (pre-killed) food items from now on.

RIght now his name is pancake. This was actually the 2nd road hit kingsnake we saw in two days like this. First was a little better looking, so we got in off into a small secluded spot and wished it luck.

Here is a pic of pancake's left side:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So I was PetCo just kinda looking around and found an Armadillo Lizard. I had never actually seen one before and was curious. It was apparently born in the store and was only $15. Long story short, I have an Armadillo Lizard. Anybody have any good caresheets. Obviously UVB and bugs, but mostly interested in substrate and adult tank size. Since it is a wee one it is going into my spare 10gal after I finish sterilizing it. I'm assuming it is a girdled but photo for other more knowledgeable included.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Can anyone identify this guy from my crummy pictures? Whatever it is, it was green most of the time but is brown right now.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
Anole. Carolina/American probably.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Looks like I need to get some stuff for this guy! Free animals are pretty expensive.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Can snakes see what's on TVs?

I assumed they couldn't because it wouldn't be showing up in IR but I just watched Jurrasic Park with mine and he was staring at it pretty intently.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Atmus posted:

Looks like I need to get some stuff for this guy! Free animals are pretty expensive.
Anoles can be moderately difficult to keep properly, despite being $4.99 at PetCo. Besides the normal UVB and heat requirements they need a certain amount of humidity. If it was free I assume you caught him locally so that might not be a problem for your area, but if you're going to keep it inside where the AC dries the air out make sure you mist him from time to time. Google a caresheet if you haven't already.

freelop posted:

Can snakes see what's on TVs?

I assumed they couldn't because it wouldn't be showing up in IR but I just watched Jurrasic Park with mine and he was staring at it pretty intently.
It's not like they can only see IR. They can definitely see what's on TV, how they interpret it is another question. It probably got his attention because of the quick movements, I seriously doubt he was recognizing any reptile buddies. Snakes generally aren't very visual anyway, smell's their main sense.

None of my dad's dogs ever payed attention to the TV, until one time when I was flipping through the channels and passed Boohbah and one of the dogs started freaking out. Which is pretty understandable if you've ever seen Boohbah

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
URGH BLUGH I'm a dumb idiot that looked through local online classifieds and saw someone an hour away from me selling royal pythons that looked to be in terrible condition, so I couldn't just pretend I hadn't seen them even though I've only had my own snake for a couple months.. so I went to pick them up since I have a couple heat mats, tubs and thermostats spare.

Oh jesus you guys I don't know much about snakes but I feel like these ones were at death's door, they're supposedly 6 months old but weigh about 100g and 110g apiece, they were covered in layers of stuck shed and were probably blind from so many retained eye caps, and when I picked them up I could have cried they felt so thin. Their skin was just hanging off them, bellies were caving inward.. really prominent spines. Pretty difficult not to shout at the person I was buying them from, especially since she seems like she's on her way to being an animal hoarder as she has a husky, a rabbit (her son said they had 5 rabbits but 4 died??) and several guinea pigs just in her lounge area in really crappy conditions. God knows what else was in the house.

I regret not asking her a bit more about what the gently caress she'd been doing with these guys, but I just wanted to buy them and get out of there before she changed her mind because she was a bit iffy about letting them go ('I really love them, I just want to be sure they're going to someone who can look after them'). I may be a novice but I can probably do a whole lot better for them than she did :/

I took them home and very quickly bathed them to get those layers of shed off and they perked right up after that, not striking at me though even though I wouldn't blame them if they did. I've even managed to get them eating and they've both taken two rat pups now in the past few days. Watching them eat, it was like they weren't entirely sure what to do once they'd grabbed the food.

So right now they're downstairs in quarantine, in a couple of 9l tubs with a thermostatted heatmat shared between them so it covers about a third of each tub, some hides I made from plastic flowerpots and a big water bowl to help them remove any shed I missed.
Because my naming convention for my reptiles so far has been Capcom games, they're now called Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Marvel vs Capcom 3, or Phoenix and Marvel for short. :3:

Here's the picture she put on the classifieds site:

When I emailed her about how it looked like the snake had stuck shed, she said 'oh that's an old picture, that's what they looked like when I got them' so I asked for a more recent picture, assuming that maybe it was just in shed at that point and maybe they were fine now.

Nope!

They were sharing one of those snake starter kit faunariums that retain absolutely 0 humidity so I can't imagine they've had a successful shed in a while. The crap thermometer they had said they were at about 20 degrees C.

So, uh.. as much as I would seriously like to, I can't keep both of them forever because I can't imagine where I'm going to fit two 4ft vivs in the future. How long would you recommend I keep them and feed them up before letting them go to new homes? I can keep them for months if need be, no problem there. How long should they be consistently feeding?

I feel like I'm going to end up keeping at least one of them because I'm already so attached to them :(

Lesson learned: don't look at animals on online classifieds because you will want to save them

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
Poachers have stolen an entire species of turtle. Every single loving Phillipine Forest Turtle. Now they need donations to try to save them all/

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e6a7f8599e08681aa0cbfc9ce&id=e1b0beed7e

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

Poachers have stolen an entire species of turtle. Every single loving Phillipine Forest Turtle. Now they need donations to try to save them all/

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e6a7f8599e08681aa0cbfc9ce&id=e1b0beed7e

There is no way in hell they're going to do anything other than lose like 80% of them anyway.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:swoon: Electra :swoon:

DSC_0099 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

DSC_0106 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

DSC_0098 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

DSC_0096 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

DSC_0112 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Having a bit of a problem getting/keeping my humidity levels down. I bought a hygrometer, and my readings are usually between 80-100%. For cresties it's app supposed to be the 60-80% range. I have three live plants and a handful (was two handfuls) of moss stuff in there, misted twice a day, temps usually around 20-23C. Thoughts?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mist once a day.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Mist once a day.

Permanently or just to let the levels drop?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Permanently or just to let the levels drop?

You are way overthinkin' this man. I dunno, maybe there's some enviromental humidity coming into play or something since it's summer. If it gets dryer, mist twice a day, wetter? Once or less. With all the moss and stuff in there I imagine it won't get too dry unless you go like five or six days without misting. You don't want her too wet, but as long as she's got something to drink, food, a good temp, good weight, good poops and she's shedding good? You're good to go.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

dog days are over posted:

URGH BLUGH I'm a dumb idiot ...
So, uh.. as much as I would seriously like to, I can't keep both of them forever because I can't imagine where I'm going to fit two 4ft vivs in the future. How long would you recommend I keep them and feed them up before letting them go to new homes? I can keep them for months if need be, no problem there. How long should they be consistently feeding?

I feel like I'm going to end up keeping at least one of them because I'm already so attached to them :(

Lesson learned: don't look at animals on online classifieds because you will want to save them
Thank you for getting them away from that negligent owner.

Instead of vivariums you could house them in stackable PVC cages!
I don't know exactly how long you should keep them but a few months will be enough for them to get up to healthy weight and have a few complete sheds..

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fraction posted:

Having a bit of a problem getting/keeping my humidity levels down. I bought a hygrometer, and my readings are usually between 80-100%. For cresties it's app supposed to be the 60-80% range. I have three live plants and a handful (was two handfuls) of moss stuff in there, misted twice a day, temps usually around 20-23C. Thoughts?

Everything FB said is right, but one thing you can do is make sure there's reasonably good airflow in/out of the vivarium.

What's your ambient humidity in the room you keep the viv? If it's a lot dryer, but your viv is staying super-humid, that's a sign of inadequate airflow.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Everything FB said is right, but one thing you can do is make sure there's reasonably good airflow in/out of the vivarium.

What's your ambient humidity in the room you keep the viv? If it's a lot dryer, but your viv is staying super-humid, that's a sign of inadequate airflow.

This is true. Fraction's in england, though, so I wouldn't think it'd be dryish in there unless she has a dehumidifier or some such. Could totally be wrong though. Everywhere's weather's so hosed it's pretty neat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Internal to a house could be really different from outdoor ambient humidity. Central forced air heating can dry out the air a lot, for example. :shrug:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I'll have to check re room humidity.

FWIW we haven't had the central heating on for a few months, and there's no air con here. The tank is the exo terra medium, with half of the mesh top open to the air and half of it covered by the bulb hood thingy.

Humidity seems to be down a little today after only misting once, so will keep an eye on that for a few days. I feel bad I didn't get a hygrometer before recently to check it, assumed it'd be all fine. Will a few weeks of too high humidity have done any damage?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm sorry to say it's going to turn her into a terrorist. If you see her constructing any tiny explosive vests, tell the queen. (she'll be fine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah these geckos come from New Caledonia, a temperate island. They naturally experience regular rainfall and dry cycles, but I'm sure occasionally it rains for a week, just like it does in any similar climate. They can deal with a few weeks of humidity no problem, and too humid is better than too dry (too dry and you can get stuck shed). Unless she's obviously sick, I'm sure she's fine.