Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

Like they haven't even said it is coming down, just that she is calling for a debate. Bringing the state legislature back to have a debate. Nothing is happen yet, just expect the shooting be obscured by another flag debate.

if she calls a special sessin for the confederate flag lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
techies, lolbertarians, oh my, goddamn stanford sucks

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

site posted:

Keep it in treasured in our hearts and minds...

What a bunch of poo poo.

That thing has embarrassed me for as long as I lived there. That the press conference didn't end with anyone actually walking out to remove it bothers me.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Sinnlos posted:

If your stance on slavery is anything less than "terrible and appalling" you should get to temporarily experience it.

slavery was in pretty bad taste. it was offputting, and inappropriate. it might be some people's bag, but I don't know if I go for that whole slavery thing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
we as a nation need to have a serious conversation. ok more like a chat and a handshake. over coffee, if weve got time. but i mean haha who does these days right? but no for real we should do something some time, just catch up. in the aftermath of this horrible tragedy.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

if she calls a special sessin for the confederate flag lmao

This is exactly what she is doing.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

paranoid randroid posted:

*gigantic bong rip* i mean when you get right down to it is there one single correct interpretation of anything

Brad Paisley Feat LL Cool J- Accidental Racist (W…: https://youtu.be/KSurzeGvPrQ

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Rodatose posted:

slavery was in pretty bad taste. it was offputting, and inappropriate. it might be some people's bag, but I don't know if I go for that whole slavery thing.

"We must come together as a nation and say that slavery was pretty gauche."

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

techies, lolbertarians, oh my, goddamn stanford sucks

ha yeahh

still better than berkeley

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im glad that american politics has weaponized smarm to the point where basically nothing can have any meaning except on a personal level

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Now you'll have another flag/pro-flag poo poo fit in SC, where most of the closet racist kept their mouths shut (barely) you're going to see another heritage poo poo fit.

Then if if anything gets done and the flag is removed then you will here "Hey we moved the flag what more do you people want?" :shrug:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

ha yeahh

still better than berkeley

to berkeley's credit at least it doesn't have a major lolbertarian thinktank on its premises

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
genocide is another one of those things that i've got a wary eye on. seems something is "off" about the whole planned extermination thing, imho. but that's just me :/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gravel Gravy posted:

Now you'll have another flag/pro-flag poo poo fit in SC, where most of the closet racist kept their mouths shut (barely) you're going to see another heritage poo poo fit.

Then if if anything gets done and the flag is removed then you will here "Hey we moved the flag what more do you people want?" :shrug:

Man, it would be loving embarrassing for SC if after all this the legislature decides not to take it down.

Rodatose posted:

genocide is another one of those things that i've got a wary eye on. seems something is "off" about the whole planned extermination thing, imho. but that's just me :/

Not a pro white stance. Get out.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rodatose posted:

genocide is another one of those things that i've got a wary eye on. seems something is "off" about the whole planned extermination thing imho

*folds hands in a calculatedly non-aggressive, considerate way* true, true. some peopel have very bad associations with the word "genocide". but on the other hand, think of all those people who have a strong identification with the practice, and what banning genocide would mean to them.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

to berkeley's credit at least it doesn't have a major lolbertarian thinktank on its premises

funny enough with the law school at least stanford's students are way more service oriented than berkeley's. berkeley funnels a lot of students into IP poo poo, stanford has way more people do public interest/public service.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

site posted:

Man, it would be loving embarrassing for SC if after all this the legislature decides not to take it down.

guess what's going to happen

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
see i feel like youre overemphasizing the negative aspects of industrialized eradication of populations. some people might not want to hear that. they come to the holocaust museum to hear about the camps their grandparents served at during the war. or to see blueprints for the bmw forced-labor factories. shouldnt we be considerate of those people as well?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

funny enough with the law school at least stanford's students are way more service oriented than berkeley's. berkeley funnels a lot of students into IP poo poo, stanford has way more people do public interest/public service.

ah, small condolences i guess

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

site posted:

Do you remember 2000?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

zoux posted:

hwo do you guys cope with the fact that we actually have no idea what dinosaurs truly looked like and we never will

sinnlos lives with a dinosaur, lets just ask him

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

paranoid randroid posted:

*folds hands in a calculatedly non-aggressive, considerate way* true, true. some peopel have very bad associations with the word "genocide". but on the other hand, think of all those people who have a strong identification with the practice, and what banning genocide would mean to them.

hmm. I hadn't thought of it in that way. thanks, haha. it's great we can sit down and hash this out civilly and though I'm still not convinced of the systematic destruction of whole peoples being "kosher", it's nice to see other POVs besides my own :)

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

PupsOfWar posted:

sinnlos lives with a dinosaur, lets just ask him

I love/hate my owl

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

This is exactly what she is doing.

grahahah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

here's a hint yall: the reason that the Charleston church shooting is terrible has nothing to do with the confederate flag

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

grahahah

"I just want to make one thing clear. This is South Carolina's decision..." is where she lost me.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

zoux posted:

here's a hint yall: the reason that the Charleston church shooting is terrible has nothing to do with the confederate flag

no poo poo but this is about the only aspect of that shooting that america is comfortable with dealing with

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

look arguing for removing a flag is the most america can accomplish in the wake of unspeakable violence, cut us some slack

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
that and the ATTACK ON CHRISTIANITY

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Jagchosis posted:

that and the ATTACK ON CHRISTIANITY

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gravel Gravy posted:

Do you remember 2000?

Actually, not that well. Did something like this happen?

zoux posted:

No way?!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the black austin city council member named her son askia, p. badass imo

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

look arguing for removing a flag is the most america can accomplish in the wake of unspeakable violence, cut us some slack

colorado got some minor gun control laws after the batman shooting, and bonus: AMC theaters compensated victims and family members with free tickets to a screening

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Jagchosis posted:

no poo poo but this is about the only aspect of that shooting that america is comfortable with dealing with

My mother's law firm is going to be empty tomorrow from her entire staff driving to Columbia to protest the removal.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

colorado got some minor gun control laws after the batman shooting, and bonus: AMC theaters compensated victims and family members with free tickets to a screening

oh good. how thoughtful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

the black austin city council member named her son askia, p. badass imo

there's an extremely easy joke here that I'm not making, and would like some praise for that

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Jagchosis posted:

seems like a good way to trigger some ptsd

e: "some ptsd" that's a weird phrasing. man walks up to concessions counter: "TWO PTSD, PLEASE"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
amc extends its sincere condolences and would like to offer you half off a large popcorn

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aha! A shooting wiht unambiguous motives! We got the guy alive, and he said he did it because of racisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Buuuuut it's a minor political win that is attainable.......

• Locked thread