Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

wateroverfire posted:

Maybe read the paper, IMO.

Can you prove that you have read it to the thread and demonstrate clearly how these people are wrong? poo poo or get off the pot, imo.

For as bad as asdf may seem to some, at least he quotes things and tries to form an argument instead of smugly telling people to read something and not adding anything to the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

The null hypothesis is that there's no relationship between the price data and the unemployment wage. Failing to reject the null hypothesis means that the conclusions from the paper may as well be fart gas. It means that the authors may as well have said "we observed no significant effects".

You just said that this isn't important. Can you explain why?

if you'd just read the paper, you'd understand

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The null hypothesis is that there's no relationship between the price data and the unemployment wage. Failing to reject the null hypothesis means that the conclusions from the paper may as well be fart gas. It means that the authors may as well have said "we observed no significant effects".

Where in the paper are you getting that they find no relationship between the restaurant price data and the minimum wage hike?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if you'd just read the paper, you'd understand

This, but unironicly.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

This, but unironicly.

woah, hold up! read the paper, pally

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's important that you acquiesce to my condescending demands and prove to my satisfaction that you have done what i emotionally manipulated you into doing before i treat your argument with the barest respect

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

woah, hold up! read the paper, pally

You are literally the worst because I know you're a pretty sharp and well read dude in other contexts and you're just choosing to shitpost here.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I can't believe someone would have the gall to smarm about those darn physicists and then reveal that they have no idea how science is done.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

You are literally the worst because I know you're a pretty sharp and well read dude in other contexts and you're just choosing to shitpost here.

excuse me, have you read the paper? no? kindly gently caress along now, please *makes walking motion with fingers*

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
check this out, got a new tat

*shows you my knucks*
code:
P A P E R        R E A D E
                         R

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

wateroverfire posted:

Back up to what the hypothesis was and why I should care about this line of questioning and I'll get back to you?

Quarks point is that if you observe gravity acting on an apple, The Null Hpothesis is that a banana will float in the air.

More on this later.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i believe only 8 knuckles would be visible, friend.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
so uh...

i hear the minimum wage is gonna get set higher. wonder what folks think about that!

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

but what about all the people who aren't worth the desperation wages i piteously give them :rant:

The pink slip they get will let them know they should be in rehab instead of bothering the rest of us with their laughable attempts to have independent lives.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

Quarks point is that if you observe gravity acting on an apple, The Null Hpothesis is that a banana will float in the air.

More on this later.

This is going to be good, and dare I say it? It's going to involve assuming that since iron sticks to a magnet, that everything else should be assumed to do so as well.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

i believe only 8 knuckles would be visible, friend.

i always make a fist with my thumbs to the side in the tiger claw style, to show off my intimidating hand and finger tats

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The most important datapoint I have gotten from this thread in the last 50 pages

asdf32 posted:

More on this later.

is that asdf32 exists in one of our parallel universes, perhaps the one where Mike Judge's Idiocracy came to pass

The second is that the minimum wage should be abolished (since it's apparently impossible to determine what that should be without creating a country full of Geriatric Pirates, or Somalia), and everyone should be provided a minimum income indexed to cost of living in their area, subsidized through a 70% marginal tax rate on incomes exceeding $100,000 and an 80% tax rate on capital gains and high frequency trading while also removing the cap on contributions to social security. The cost of living would be determined through pricing a basket of goods in an area that includes a domicile that has one bedroom per person, internet access, public transport, cost of health insurance, provide for a minimum 2,500 calorie daily food intake and a $400 entertainment and miscellaneous expense allowance.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 22, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

asdf32 posted:

More on this later.

Everyone stop and stare at this beautiful post :allears:

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Are you serious? How many of the words in that paragraph do you think are jargon? Seriously, please list all of the jargon terms.

This is such a rich twist, in the previous post you accused me of having no real statistics knowledge, and now you accuse me of using too much statistics jargon because I whipped out a big word like "systematic", perhaps?

If there are unbiased fractional uncertainties, they're not going to be decreased by decreasing your sample size. Same for biased fractional uncertainties.

This is such an elementary point of statistics that I don't really know how else to drive this point home. You keep trying to claim that the smaller dataset has smaller fractional uncertainty, but it really, really doesn't. OLS is also being used by the other papers, and they had issues because the uncertainties were too large, so this paper should have at least the same issues! There are cases where this could be false, but you haven't given a good reason for why that would be the case. In your world it would be possible to drive down uncertainties by just randomly selecting a subset of data, but that is clearly not the case

You keep trying to use OLS as an excuse to ignore the large uncertainties, but surely you realize that OLS doesn't actually make those uncertainties go away, right? OLS can help drive down the final propagated uncertainty on your reported values, but those original uncertainties are still going to bite you in the rear end when you attempt to reject the null hypothesis, which is why this paper failed to do that.

It's a clever trap to lure idiots like you into revealing that they're illiterate

The R^2 is relevant, it's just not as important as the fact that the authors couldn't reject the null hypothesis. It's a supporting detail. The small R^2 supports the notion that the data has very large variance, which implies very large uncertainty. We know that both of these things are true, and the small R^2 helps to confirm it. It's like finding a bullet casing at the scene of a shooting; we already know that a gun was used, the casing is just a supporting detail (not like whatever dumb bullshit "sky is blue" thing you tried to use in a later post, god drat you suck at analogies)

You should try actually read the things that you're responding to before you respond to them.

Once again that's a whole lot of terms with no actual meaning behind them. Not sure what "fractional uncertainties" you're talking about but still not sure how you think essentially taking the mean and doing tests on it is better than using the actual raw data. Any problems you have in the data that affect ols coeffs affect the mean. This is really simple.

Still not sure how you think r2 which you now admit is irrelevant to testing a coefficient "helps confirm" anything. Does the sky being blue also help confirm that a murder happened?

Literally The Worst posted:

I like that you jumped right ot this instead of actually dealing with the multiple people calling you out for saying the working poor don't exist, as opposed to just calling them liars for sharing their experiences being working poor.

Did someone post anything beyond their anecdotes about not affording anime that would somehow trump BLS data? I love left wing D&D posters because being poor is some sort of achievement here and people have the best stories about how they were poor (apparently the daily routine of poor people in America consists mainly of posting here)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yes, but *vomits profusely*

*the vomit is only a loose collection of spreadsheets*

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Once again that's a whole lot of terms with no actual meaning behind them. Not sure what "fractional uncertainties" you're talking about but still not sure how you think essentially taking the mean and doing tests on it is better than using the actual raw data. Any problems you have in the data that affect ols coeffs affect the mean. This is really simple.

Still not sure how you think r2 which you now admit is irrelevant to testing a coefficient "helps confirm" anything. Does the sky being blue also help confirm that a murder happened?

Hey man there's a difference between you not understanding something and it having no meaning. Maybe look into that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Did someone post anything beyond their anecdotes about not affording anime that would somehow trump BLS data? I love left wing D&D posters because being poor is some sort of achievement here and people have the best stories about how they were poor (apparently the daily routine of poor people in America consists mainly of posting here)

Seeing as you believe that being poor in America is impossible, being so would in fact be quite an achievement. Or you could just be a colossal moron, I wonder which is more probable?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Akumu posted:

Hey man there's a difference between you not understanding something and it having no meaning. Maybe look into that.

But..but he is a swamp swede! The font of all knowledge!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The R^2 is relevant-

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Still not sure how you think r2 which you now admit is irrelevant-

Think I found out where communications are breaking down here. Despite having literally quoted an entire paragraph about exactly how the R^2 relates to his overall point; somehow Geriatric Pirate misheard Quark and thought he said IRrelevant. I am convinced at this moment that an analysis of the last one hundred pages will demonstrate that this has all just been a tragic mixup where one poster somehow keeps mishearing words in a written conversation. :iiam:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
statistically, poor people do not exist. you cannot argue with statistics. i am the winner

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Ebenezer Scrooge: Pfah, anecdotes! Do you have any statistical data, or are you just whining about not being able to afford penny-dreadfuls?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Fractional uncertainty is uncertainty as, well, a fraction. Not knowing that it's kinda basic to literally everything involving statistics does a great job as outing you as an idiot.

Also the sky being blue confirms that the murder was on earth. You continue to be an idiot.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

wateroverfire posted:

When effort is met over and over by condescension and pigheadedness, it's very important that he keep a partcular tone because surely one of these days the people who haven't given an inch in 100 pages will admit they are wrong.

Also if somebody uses a more casual typing form I can avoid addressing their point and claim they are shitposting.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

When effort is met over and over by condescension and pigheadedness, it's very important that he keep a partcular tone because surely one of these days the people who haven't given an inch in 100 pages will admit they are wrong.

Also if somebody uses a more casual typing form I can avoid addressing their point and claim they are shitposting.

Everything I said about him applies to you, except the positive parts.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Stop being so dense.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Once again that's a whole lot of terms with no actual meaning behind them.

"I am uneducated and ignorant of basic terminology. Obviously this is your failing and not mine!"

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=630515 posted:

Much work has looked at the employment implications of raising the minimum wage, with a range of estimates reported in the literature. We offer new empirical evidence using output prices both at the store-level and aggregated to the city-level. In both cases, prices unambiguously increase in response to a minimum wage change. Furthermore, the results are similar across three sources of variation in the data: cross-state differences in the size of the minimum wage change, cross-restaurant type differences in the tendency to pay at or near the minimum wage, and cross-metro differences in the fraction of workers paid at or near the minimum wage. There is no evidence that prices fall in response to a minimum wage increase.
We interpret these findings within a simple yet quite general model of employment determination that shows that monopsony and perfect competition have opposite implications for not only employment but output prices as well, so long as the minimum wage is not set too high. In particular, under monopsony, an increase in a binding minimum wage causes employment to rise and output prices to fall. Under competition, employment falls and output prices rise. Therefore, our price results appear to provide evidence against the hypothesis that monopsony power is important for understanding the small observed employment response to minimum wage changes. Indeed, our estimated price responses provide evidence against other explanations of the small employment response, including the potential substitution of nonwage for wage compensation and the importance of endogenous work effort. Rather, we interpret our price results to be fairly consistent with the textbook model of labor demand.

Empirical data supports the Econ 101 model of the labor market? Of course an economist would say so.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Who gives a poo poo, what matters is how much they increase.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

JeffersonClay posted:

Empirical data supports the Econ 101 model of the labor market? Of course an economist would say so.

Can you address the criticisms QuarkJets has made of this conclusion, or will the abstract stand as ineffable shield against it?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
So when Quarkjets was making a huge deal about their failure to reject the null hypothesis, he was wrong.

Effectronica posted:

Can you address the criticisms QuarkJets has made of this conclusion, or will the abstract stand as ineffable shield against it?

That's not the abstract. Is there any coherent critisism other than R^2 too low? That's not sufficient reason to reject the data and conclusions in the study.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

JeffersonClay posted:

So when Quarkjets was making a huge deal about their failure to reject the null hypothesis, he was wrong.

That's not the abstract. Is there any coherent critisism other than R^2 too low? That's not sufficient reason to reject the data and conclusions in the study.

Section 3.1 is totally useless as it assumes no errors in measurement. Section 3.2 is reliant on a statistical method that reveals high uncertainties in measurement, such that at best 20% of the variance can be explained, and at worst 2%. Section 3.3 shows that a quarter of the price movements are negative, and they are unable to explain this. Given that the price changes quoted are equivalent to 7% of the increase in costs, the data doesn't convincingly show what they claim it shows, as things stand.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

As usual, QuarkJets was lying about the contents of a paper. Normally I just don't bother engaging, but he also had interesting comments on the methodology that he seemed to actually be putting effort towards.

I think he's the master troll though because he has a bunch of left wing posters here convinced that "fractional uncertainties" are a real concern. His logic basically says that let's say we have a clinical study on the effectiveness of a drug. Even though we can track who actually takes the drug and their health, we shouldn't do this because of fractional uncertainties. Instead, we should look at city-level averages for the use of the drug and health and measure those instead.

And of course use of the drug must explain at least 50% of variation in health, otherwise [insert whatever his incoherent argument about R2 here was] because we know that if Aspirin doesn't improve your life expectancy by 20 years, it's not really useful at all.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 22, 2015

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

Section 3.1 is totally useless as it assumes no errors in measurement. Section 3.2 is reliant on a statistical method that reveals high uncertainties in measurement, such that at best 20% of the variance can be explained, and at worst 2%. Section 3.3 shows that a quarter of the price movements are negative, and they are unable to explain this. Given that the price changes quoted are equivalent to 7% of the increase in costs, the data doesn't convincingly show what they claim it shows, as things stand.

Super internet poster effectronica, who once again has exceeded his "I only post for half an hour per day" on this awesome thread, shows off his knowledge of statistics

only 20% of variation is explained? drat... that paper was owned. R2 is way too low

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

As usual, QuarkJets was lying about the contents of a paper. Normally I just don't bother engaging, but he also had interesting comments on the methodology that he seemed to actually be putting effort towards.

I think he's the master troll though because he has a bunch of left wing posters here convinced that "fractional uncertanties" are a real concern. His logic basically says that let's say we have a clinical study on the effectiveness of a drug. Even though we can track who actually takes the drug and their health, we shouldn't do this because of fractional uncertanties. Instead, we should look at city-level averages for the use of the drug and health and measure those instead.

And of course use of the drug must explain at least 50% of variation in health, otherwise [insert whatever his incoherent argument about R2 here was] because we know that if Aspirin doesn't improve your life expectancy by 20 years, it's not really useful at all.

I don't know how they do things in the hellhole of suicidal ideation you live in, but in the United States of America, if you attended the sort of elementary science lab course that is included in general education requirements all around the country, and wrote in a lab report that you didn't need to account for or track errors and uncertainties, you would be marked down, and if the professor was a hardass, flunked.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Super internet poster effectronica, who once again has exceeded his "I only post for half an hour per day" on this awesome thread, shows off his knowledge of statistics

only 20% of variation is explained? drat... that paper was owned. R2 is way too low

Quick question. You have made it clear you know nothing about statistics, the sciences, American society, the sciences, and how to write clearly. What do you know?

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

Except that they don't reject the null hypothesis. Saying that you reject it is not the same as actually rejecting it. That kind of thing is okay for a working paper, which is what this is, but it's not acceptable to draw meaningful results from the paper in the meantime.

• Locked thread