Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I work in West L.A. where it's normal to see traffic closures every 6 months for when Obama's in town for a fundraiser (the same reason he's here this weekend). But it's pretty surreal to see the latest LAPD traffic warning saying

quote:

The area around Mountain Street and the 210 Freeway 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

The area around 134 Freeway and Colorado Boulevard 8:00 to 12:00 p.m.

The area around Colorado Boulevard and Figueroa Street 8:00 to 12:00 p.m.

The area around York Boulevard and North Avenue 51 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

knowing it's because he's hanging out with Maron for an hour. I hope it goes down like https://twitter.com/BRANDONWARDELL/status/611633762229575681

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
well at least his house will be a no fly zone. Not sure if they will be able to keep the dog from barking.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Obama seems like the perfect guest for marc. Congrats to him.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Hey Obama who are your guys

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Jippa posted:

Obama seems like the perfect guest for marc. Congrats to him.

How so?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Besson posted:

I look forward to finding out what older male figure introduced Obama to "good music."

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What a bizarre event, I wonder how that happened. I also wonder how much more he makes from his ads when the download count goes up by 100x for this episode. Hopefully he calls him out on some of his bullshit and it's not just going to be an hour of dad chat.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Does anyone actually think Maron is going to have the president in his garage and then grill the poo poo out of him? like, really.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It sounds like Obama will be in the garage, but I wouldn't expect a grilling. A cowed Maron can be just as fun as one on the attack, though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It definitely was in the garage, Marc instagrammed a picture of Obama's leftover coffee and napkin (both which have the presidential seal, which is hilarious to me) from the garage. I like hearing Maron when he's over his head and a bit overwhelmed, the Iggy Pop interview was kinda like that.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I bet that episode has no sponsors and is not rated "Explicit" like his other shows are. I can't see him talking about foot cardigan or just coffee dot co-op then "and now the leader of the free world..."

I love the idea of him ending the show with, "So, are we okay?"

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
I believe I saw it's going to commercial free.

Getting the President in person makes it funnier to me that he was only
able to talk to Jagger on the phone for 10 minutes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pryor on Fire posted:

What a bizarre event, I wonder how that happened.

White House: Mark, we know you're a diehard liberal sympathetic to the President.

Mark: I am.

White House: You also have some street cred with the kids and are considered a "hip" alt comic.

Mark: I am.

White House: Would you want to interview the President?

Mark: Sure.

White House: Great, we're forwarding a list of questions for you to ask him. Stick to the script and we're good as gold.

Mark: No problem.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Maron says there were no (explicit) restrictions, and that he has final cut on the interview:

http://www.avclub.com/article/marc-maron-talked-obama-about-racism-disappointmen-221130

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm 45min into the episode and Obama has said "Muslim" and "friend of the family", so I look forward to Fox News stripping the context out and just looping those two words for an hour.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

XIII posted:

I'm 45min into the episode and Obama has said "Muslim" and "friend of the family", so I look forward to Fox News stripping the context out and just looping those two words for an hour.

Just google 'marc maron obama' and the takeaway from most news outlets is the use of 'friend of the family'. Also CNN is calling WTF a "radio program"

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Just google 'marc maron obama' and the takeaway from most news outlets is the use of 'friend of the family'. Also CNN is calling WTF a "radio program"

Haha, you're right. Must have needed to distract from using the M-word and exposing his true self.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Besson posted:

laughed out loud when this actually happened

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Listened, boring and meaningless with nothing new gleaned. Exactly as I thought, Barack Obama ran circles around him and nothing hard hitting was asked. Marc, Please don't ever do politicians ever again, you don't have what it takes to deal with professional obfuscators.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
Obama's racist, yo!

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
I thought the conversation was fine when Obama was talking about his family, but yeah, the political conversation was basically Obama steamrolling Maron with prepared points. But it's not like I really expected anything different.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013

Bleusman posted:

I thought the conversation was fine when Obama was talking about his family, but yeah, the political conversation was basically Obama steamrolling Maron with prepared points. But it's not like I really expected anything different.

I'm pretty disappointed about Obama using Charleston to further "sensible gun control"

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Arm_Fruit posted:

I'm pretty disappointed about Obama using Charleston to further "sensible gun control"

lol

I thought it was a good ep, Marc did fine with Obama. Easy to criticize him but he is talking to the most powerful man in the world in his loving garage.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Really awesome interview. Holy poo poo the president said the word friend of the family. It's almost as if we're getting to a point where people can actually talk about things in a genuine manner without every phrase going through five committees and years of focus group testing. I just wish things like this happened more often.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Loved it. The president is intelligent, sensible, sly, "whole" i guess would be the word. I felt like he really laid it on the table and I walked away from it feeling proud of my president. A little talking point-y but he's the freaking president and this is a comedy podcast. This was obviously not going to be Frost/Nixon.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, this was probably the most 'WTF-style' interview that you could really expect from a sitting President, I enjoyed it a lot.

Kind of sucks that the main thing being reported from it is about his use of 'The N-Word', but at least will hopefully just draw more people to the episode.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Did people really think Maron was going to be holding Obama's feet to the fire about policy? He interviews people about their personal lives.. That's what the show has always been about. Sure Obama got to spit out a bunch of taking points but he's a politician, of course that's going to happen

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

All the cool kids know Obama dropped a bunch of n-bombs in the audio version of Dreams from My Father.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

All the cool kids know Obama dropped a bunch of n-bombs in the audio version of Dreams from My Father.

Yeah this is what I was thinking. I mean they got it someplace for the soundboards 7 years ago.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLA-yums-As

Fox News vs Marc's surname.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Good lord there is really no reason to watch past 48 seconds in to that is there.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

MrWilderheap posted:

Did people really think Maron was going to be holding Obama's feet to the fire about policy? He interviews people about their personal lives.. That's what the show has always been about. Sure Obama got to spit out a bunch of taking points but he's a politician, of course that's going to happen

I think people were hoping to find out more about what kind of guy the President is, because of how Marc interviews. The talking point stuff kind of obstructed that, I guess.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
"Marc Maron wasn't hard enough on the president when he interviewed him" might be the weirdest podcast criticism I've ever read.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think he'd probably have been better off trying to avoid politics entirely, which is a weird thing to say but, come on, Marc Maron isn't gonna be able to juke Obama on talking points.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
He'll get it next time

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Obama's a C minus student who coasted through school. He's not that hard to outwit.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Okay Irish Joe

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Clearly that mispronunciation of Marc Maron's last name was a shout out to CBB.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Marc melting down about credit card points just about killed me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Lost For Words posted:

Marc melting down about credit card points just about killed me

Listening to the follow up episode was almost better than the actual interview. Well done maron.

• Locked thread