Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to edit Bartz name after the game has started? Mostly since I got a save near where my progress was lost, but rather not keep the name Bartz had.

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Donated to job fair one of my Beserkers. Just rolling the dice against Sandworm for an hour was not fun. But I still have two of the auto attacking morons and an extra $4 goes to charity so hey.:)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dubious posted:

I donated cash and ran an RNG to replace my 2nd bard, and my team is now Bard - Beastmaster - Samurai - Dancer.

I have no familiarity with Beastmaster or Dancers at all, how is this run gonna go?

Great.

Beastmaster rock. Bards rock. Samauri can solo the game without trouble. And dancer can about 7k-8k damage with sword dance.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So, first time ff5 player here, I've got blackmage and berserker so far, anything i should beeline for in karnak?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So my third Job is Ranger. Black Mage/ Red Mage/ Ranger. Aside from the fact that I need to wait a bit to pick it up, it's a job I've never really used. I do seem to recall that Ranger is the class that gets !X-Fight. Too bad I didn't also pick up a Mystic Knight or I could consider the game won already.

I wish I'd known I'd get ranger or I'd have went for the Fire Bow off LiquiFlame rather than trying a bunch of times to get an extra Fire Staff. :(

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Renzuko posted:

So, first time ff5 player here, I've got blackmage and berserker so far, anything i should beeline for in karnak?

get a shitload of different kinds of rods because you can consume them during combat to cast third-level spells like firaga

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Renzuko posted:

Rods. Piles and piles of rods. Fight Wild Nakks in the forest just outside for loads of cash.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

So my third Job is Ranger. Black Mage/ Red Mage/ Ranger. Aside from the fact that I need to wait a bit to pick it up, it's a job I've never really used. I do seem to recall that Ranger is the class that gets !X-Fight. Too bad I didn't also pick up a Mystic Knight or I could consider the game won already.

you're doing pretty great already

give your black mage !animals for free and really good heals

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

setafd posted:

you're doing pretty great already

give your black mage !animals for free and really good heals

I made it out of Karnak castle easier with my party of 3 RMs and a BM than I have in previous times I played the game when I was mix and matching. I think I was always hesitant to use spells since MP was a limited resource whereas this time... well... I don't have much choice. Turns out you usually have plenty to last you, it seems.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ahhhhh gently caress i'm going to have to make it out of the castle with four berserkers gently caress gently caress gently caress

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

I made it out of Karnak castle easier with my party of 3 RMs and a BM than I have in previous times I played the game when I was mix and matching. I think I was always hesitant to use spells since MP was a limited resource whereas this time... well... I don't have much choice. Turns out you usually have plenty to last you, it seems.

and it's not even as though you need to fight every battle

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Blue mage, time mage, beastmaster, dancer. This should be interesting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fungah! posted:

ahhhhh gently caress i'm going to have to make it out of the castle with four berserkers gently caress gently caress gently caress

Skip most of it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Get REKT Sandworm!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Supremezero posted:

WHY IS BAHAMUT NOT A DRAGON

You know what else isn't a dragon?

Great Dragon.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Welp, I did it. Final job is Chemist.

So I now have Blue mage/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Chemist. How much have I just broken the game over my knee?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

gatesealer posted:

So I now have Blue mage/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Chemist. How much have I just broken the game over my knee?

that's an insanely good party, although not a lot of synergy going on

but who needs synergy, just do the blue mage tricks or buff your dualwielding mystic knight and sword magicked ninja

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Would giving a Ninja !Blue increase it's scroll damage?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Skip most of it.

i use the castle to make it so i don't have to farm for elixirs. i got close to twenty out of it on my last run with a thief

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

MrAristocrates posted:

Level 45, 91 tries.

I'm getting there. Already killed about 600 mini-dragons, bought a full set of Flame Rings (to better grind on the mini-dragons), working on Angel Rings.

EDIT: Victory! 700 mini-dragons, average level of 39, unknown number of tries (played Ironcast while attempting runs).

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 23, 2015

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

@Ilyich_SA can now use the Water Job 'Berserker'. Haha.

Took Berserker Risk and I knew it was going to happen anyway, so I figured I might as well get it confirmed before I beat Galura. One more boss and I get some actual damage.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
What's a good level to grind to on the ship graveyard since I'm 4 white mages at the moment?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I've never done one of these Fiestas before, nor have I actually beaten FFV (farthest I've gotten was to some forest area to go beat up a tree I guess? and it was ages ago). So I decided that clearly the best way to get back into this game was to do a Chaos run with Berserker Risk.

I'm only just starting the fire ship, but...I'm in for a hell of a ride, aren't I? :shepicide:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
After you get the fire ship, is there anywhere extra worth going, or should I just head straight for the next plot point.

In my defence, I haven't played this game since like 2009

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Since I've never used monks before, I've been doing a little turbo grinding to get !Chakra on everybody for some healing. Since turbo mode makes everything super fast and painless, would it be worth my while to keep going for Counter at this stage in the game?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

XavierGenisi posted:

I've never done one of these Fiestas before, nor have I actually beaten FFV (farthest I've gotten was to some forest area to go beat up a tree I guess? and it was ages ago). So I decided that clearly the best way to get back into this game was to do a Chaos run with Berserker Risk.

I'm only just starting the fire ship, but...I'm in for a hell of a ride, aren't I? :shepicide:

Grind a ton and pray you get a fire job.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Holy poo poo, breaking rods. holy poo poo. 2 turns to kill the fire ship boss.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Since I've never used monks before, I've been doing a little turbo grinding to get !Chakra on everybody for some healing. Since turbo mode makes everything super fast and painless, would it be worth my while to keep going for Counter at this stage in the game?

What's turbo mode?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Renzuko posted:

Holy poo poo, breaking rods. holy poo poo. 2 turns to kill the fire ship boss.

Breaking Rods is absolutely absurd. It really turns any 4JF with a caster starter from "super extreme hard gently caress You" mode into "Start planning your next run!" so loving fast.

I started it and got Knight as my first class! Not bad. At least this time when it gives me Berserker for the 3rd year in a row for my first (and usually only because I miss it until the last 3 weeks :sweatdrop:) run, I'll at least be able to give him heavy armor and weapons :downs:

No but seriously, Knight is a solid starting choice. Not gonna be too great until I get elemental weapons, but I'm gonna destroy the early game with heavy attacks.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

gatesealer posted:

I have almost the same party, though I got Samurai instead of chemist. Throwing gil is ridiculous

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

little bit of a rule clarification: When you only have 3 party members are you able to use whatever job galuf had when he leaves?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

gatesealer posted:

... that is quite possibly the most ridiculous party I've ever seen anyone actually get.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Level 36/36/38/38 and 350,000 gil later, and I beat Sandworm. Naturally, Sol Cannon falls on the first try. Now to see what my fourth class is and to actually get to use Samurai and Dragoon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RELEASE THE DRAGONS :byodood:

gatesealer posted:

little bit of a rule clarification: When you only have 3 party members are you able to use whatever job galuf had when he leaves?

Yep, you can use any three of your four jobs (one of each, obviously).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Parallax Scroll posted:

What's turbo mode?
Hyper speed, basically.

Not recommended for most situations for a multitude of reasons, but it makes low-level grinding a breeze when all you can do is mash attack anyway and could use a few extra job points.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
aand it's Berserker. Samurai/Dragoon/Berserker/Berserker. Right then.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

gatesealer posted:

The only party that's more broken is this one but with Bard instead of Ninja.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sad that I didn't get time to play today and I need to get to bed to get up for work. Ah well, I'll just have to Färtz tomorrow...

Hopefully I got my bad luck out of the way with Monk - I'm keeping the later jobs a mystery for added fun/misery when I make it further in the game. Good luck, fellow first timers!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

How much longer after the castle explodes do you get access to all the Fire Crystal jobs? I got Ranger and apparently I don't get it right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
guys, I need help. I just got to Titan, and when the battle started, this weird window with "Fight, GilToss, Item" popped up.

This is odd behavior. I don't know how to handle this kind of pressure. THERE'S TOO MANY CHOICES!

I'd actually forgotten what it was like to make decisions in this game.

• Locked thread