Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'm really marveling here that QuarkJets managed to get like 6 left wing posters convinced that "fractional uncertainties" are a reason to avoid using detailed data

I never said that; I said that the fractional uncertainties would be the same or worse. This is true.

You said that the smaller sample would have smaller fractional uncertainties. This is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
geriatric pirate is only mad about this because he feels he was denied a chance to thrive by living in a welfare state which ensured that he would never have to make any of the hard decisions that the american poor have to face daily

this makes him jealous and insecure, so he lashes out

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Effectronica posted:

Yes, and the conclusion in the paper is that the owners pay for 93% of it.

Okay, so you believe in magic, and regardless of the actual costs, if the word "poverty threshold" comes from a subject you sorta-trust, that's ineffable. Well, I'll just have to print out some of your posts and run water over them. As the representation of you melts and runs away, so too shall you disintegrate into nothingness.

*Sigh*.

No, think again, the paper concluded (with some uncertainty) 100% pass through. I.E owners paid for none of it.

EDIT: remember all those times myself and a few others said "don't compare those numbers". This is why.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 22, 2015

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

Yes, and the conclusion in the paper is that the owners pay for 93% of it.

Seems quite at odds with the actual conclusion of the paper, and more in line with "Effectronica is confused because he doesn't understand that percentage increases in prices and wages are not directly comparable"

Zeitgueist posted:

Could you point me at some jobs in whatever US city you live in? Thx
You're right, it's impossible to get a job. Better just stay in and post all day.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Maybe instead of posting here 40 times per day complaining about how poor you are, you could, you know, get a job? I'm guessing most people don't do that, which is why, like the BLS says, working full time and being poor is quite an achievement.

Just wanted to wade into this to say you're dumb as gently caress. People who can't get jobs don't get ones that allow them to post on the Internet, like I do.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I made four hundred and fifty dollars this week in tips. I immediately turned around and put 270 of that into my car because it needed new brakes and rotors. I have another hundred and something coming in tomorrow on my check (check was weird this pay period because of employment shenanigans) but I still have rent and utilities to pay in a week and I'm two months behind on my car insurance and I have a phone bill to pay

But I'm doing just fine. Right.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Still don't know why I bother because you make up poo poo

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radbot posted:

Just wanted to wade into this to say you're dumb as gently caress. People who can't get jobs don't get ones that allow them to post on the Internet, like I do.

Poster "Literally the Worst" has 40000 posts on these forums and also wants the government to give him more money.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Poster "Literally the Worst" has 40000 posts on these forums and also wants the government to give him more money.

I don't know what you're talking about, just wanted to throw it out there since you don't understand literally anything about working in America. I post much, much, much more now that I have a better job.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Poster Geriatric Pirate lives in a Scandinavian social democracy with decent health care, welfare and other things and also thinks he understands what its like to be poor in America.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's some back of the envelope, Effectronica style math:

Literally the Worst has 41000 posts on these forums. Assume 5 minutes of browsing per post. Then assume that instead of posting, he made $10 per hour. If he had worked instead of posting, he'd literally have $34,000 more.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, just wanted to throw it out there since you don't understand literally anything about working in America. I post much, much, much more now that I have a better job.

There are no working poor in Swamp Sweden so therefor working poor don't exist at all!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

*Sigh*.

No, think again, the paper concluded (with some uncertainty) 100% pass through. I.E owners paid for none of it.

The paper concludes 100% pass-through in the formal conclusion. The data provided, however, shows that the increases in prices are much less than the increases in costs. Therefore, the costs must somehow disappear. But that doesn't change that only 7% of the actual increase in wages is transmitted as price increases. Which is minor, and likely to be weighted towards premium items and services.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Seems quite at odds with the actual conclusion of the paper, and more in line with "Effectronica is confused because he doesn't understand that percentage increases in prices and wages are not directly comparable"

You're right, it's impossible to get a job. Better just stay in and post all day.

Again I am literally working 45-50 hours a week on a regular basis and something as simple as regular preventative maintenance on my car is throwing my finances off. I'm also not buying things just for shits and gigs.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Again I am literally working 45-50 hours a week on a regular basis and something as simple as regular preventative maintenance on my car is throwing my finances off. I'm also not buying things just for shits and gigs.

I'm sorry you post on the internet, clearly you don't exist!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Literally the Worst has 41000 posts on these forums. Assume 5 minutes of browsing per post. Then assume that instead of posting, he made $10 per hour. If he had worked instead of posting, he'd literally have $34,000 more.

Imagine 10,000 bullets, all fired into Geriatric Pirate. The benefits are literally infinite.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

No, I want my job to give me more money. You know, the one you keep insinuating I don't have.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Over the course of eight years during which time I was going to school (high school and college) at various points for a grand total of an extra 2.5k a year. Wow. Wow. If only I hadn't wanted pesky things like days off, or had a job where I made ten bucks an hour.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Assume 5 minutes of browsing per post.

like i said i appreciate that you post so often as every post discloses that you have some sort of chronic dissociative fugue which prevents you from being able to comprehend the world around you

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
americans are the most productive workers in the world. it may take you five minutes to craft a bad post according to strict labor regulations and international post agreements, but i can easily leverage my superior american intellect and posting skills to crank out stunnning burns with extremely rapid turnaround

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

like i said i appreciate that you post so often as every post discloses that you have some sort of chronic dissociative fugue which prevents you from being able to comprehend the world around you

This malady also afflicts asdf32, sadly :(

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
It's like a train wreck in slow motion, only the conductor is busy denying not only that it's a train wreck but that trains even exist. Please post forever Geriatric Pirate. :allears:

Yeah but think how much money you could make if you didn't spend so much time making GBS threads. Or sleeping. Or talking to relatives. Or eating. Or reading books, watching TV, cooking, listening to music, browsing the internet... you'd be miserable filthy rich!

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 22, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Geriatric Pirate posted:

This is especially hilarious considering your contribution to society has almost certainly been to do nothing but suck up as much government resources as your hypocritical rear end can.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Who What Now posted:

This is especially hilarious considering your contribution to society has almost certainly been to do nothing but suck up as much government resources as your hypocritical rear end can.

Now now, he probably also votes for a Finnish right wing party that wants to cut off those resources from as many people as possible too.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Over the course of eight years during which time I was going to school (high school and college) at various points for a grand total of an extra 2.5k a year. Wow. Wow. If only I hadn't wanted pesky things like days off, or had a job where I made ten bucks an hour.

34/8 = 4.25, but I guess expecting someone who is running out of money for rent and car payments to work a few extra days is just asking way too much, all that for a measly 4.25k per year. I mean it's much easier to complain about how greedy your employer is and demand a law to make him pay you more (he'll probably fire you instead, but that'll be a fun surprise for you if the minimum wage ever increases!)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

34/8 = 4.25, but I guess expecting someone who is running out of money for rent and car payments to work a few extra days is just asking way too much, all that for a measly 4.25k per year. I mean it's much easier to complain about how greedy your employer is and demand a law to make him pay you more (he'll probably fire you instead, but that'll be a fun surprise for you if the minimum wage ever increases!)

:laffo: So do taxes not exist in your world??

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:laffo: So do taxes not exist in your world??

Sorry, didnt realize people making under 20k in America paid 40% taxes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"if the minimum wage increases, thousands of businesses will fire all their workers and close their doors" -a man who has to remind himself to breathe

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

oh so NOW you start clarifying the things you don't realize about poor people in america

that train has sailed, brother

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

state taxes and social security deductions???? What are these???? - a swamp swede who knows how America works

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

"A few extra days" meaning seven days a week, since I'm already working five days a week, often for longer than eight hours at a stretch, and then paying taxes on that money

Also I literally make less than minimum wage most of the time and survive on tips so

Also oh boy you got me I made a typo on my phone, my argument (which as a reminder is that you, as someone who lives in a country with a functioning welfare state, have no loving business telling people in america that they don't have it that bad) is a shambles whatever shall I do

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if you can afford luxuries like days off then you're not really poor *waves a sheaf of official government numbers*

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also I'm still making more than I was working 40/wk at 10/hr because a good chunk of my money comes to me tax free and I'm still barely getting by

But shame on loving me, for daring to not want to work seven days a week.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fun fact about tips in America: Never tip your server/driver/bartender/whatever on your credit card receipt unless you're too drunk to recognize denominations on your paper money. We get taxed on tips that go on your card, because they go into the system when you get charged for it. Always tip cash, 100% of that will go in your server's pocket

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

state taxes and social security deductions???? What are these???? - a swamp swede who knows how America works
poor people in america literally pay 42% tax and are literally starving on the street - an american who really knows what its like to be poor and thinks MMT is mainstream economics

"A few extra days" meaning seven days a week, since I'm already working five days a week, often for longer than eight hours at a stretch, and then paying taxes on that money

Also I literally make less than minimum wage most of the time and survive on tips so

Also oh boy you got me I made a typo on my phone, my argument (which as a reminder is that you, as someone who lives in a country with a functioning welfare state, have no loving business telling people in america that they don't have it that bad) is a shambles whatever shall I do

The typo isn't a big deal, though it did bring out another poverty expert (raskolnikov38) who thinks that poor people are paying 42% tax rates.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

poor people in america literally pay 42% tax and are literally starving on the street - an american who really knows what its like to be poor and thinks MMT is mainstream economics

Still waiting for those MMT papers that state what you think MMT is (hint it isn't).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Fun tip about america, pay your loving taxes you leech.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I make $15 an hour and about 30% percent of each paycheck goes to taxes and deductions so I'm not seeing where assuming LTW's typo was a little bad math with taking taxes into account is blowing your mind.

oh wait I see it now, you don't understand math or language.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fun fact about tips in America: Never tip your server/driver/bartender/whatever on your credit card receipt unless you're too drunk to recognize denominations on your paper money. We get taxed on tips that go on your card, because they go into the system when you get charged for it. Always tip cash, 100% of that will go in your server's pocket

Higher taxes are good, unless I'm paying them

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Still waiting for those MMT papers that state what you think MMT is (hint it isn't).

I wasnt the person who said the infinity debt stuff, I just said it's fringe heterodox stuff and think it's funny that you pretend it isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I wasnt the person who said the infinity debt stuff, I just said it's fringe heterodox stuff and think it's funny that you pretend it isn't

Oh whoops i mixed up the idiots that don't understand algebra or what a null hypothesis means in this thread, please forgive me.

• Locked thread