Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

vyelkin posted:

tbh I don't think Liverpool should sign Benteke because there are no signs that Rodgers knows how to use a striker with his skillset so he would probably not score many goals and people would make fun of the club for ruining another good striker and then he would be sold at a loss and score tons of goals for his next club.

Benteke also isnt all that at all, and the kind of sums being thrown around for him are absurd relative to his ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TelekineticBear! posted:

Benteke also isnt all that at all, and the kind of sums being thrown around for him are absurd relative to his ability

I rate Benteke. He's good with his back to goal but is also quick enough to play off the last defender. Think he'd be effective as a lone front man or playing along side Sturridge. He's less of a gamble than spending large on Bacca imo.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TelekineticBear! posted:

You say that but if Arsenal want an upgrade on Giroud he does the hold up better, the play off better, finishes better and can beat the last man better.

And this is compared to a guy as good as BENZEMA.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 22, 2015

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Benzema is really good and you can tell he's playing within the team at Real. He's the focus point for France and he looks great there as well. Anyone will look overshadowed when playing with Ronaldo scoring 60 goals a season

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Clyne has all been papertalk from what I know. Ive heard Schneiderlin interest is real tho but the sticking point may be van gaal v koeman

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ewar Woowar posted:

I rate Benteke.

I think he's pretty good, can take players on, wins all the headers, can score any kind of goal including free kicks, what else do you want?

I've read about an alleged 32 million pound buyout, dunno if that's true. If it is, seems to me like the only teams that can afford that probably don't need him that bad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ninpo posted:

You say that but if Arsenal want an upgrade on Giroud he does the hold up better, the play off better, finishes better and can beat the last man better.

lol at your fixation, the Benteke talk was entirely unrelated to Arsenal :)

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I don't see how Rodgers would possibly get the best out of Benteke given his track record with strikers and for what they're asking.

He (over)spent money on Borini, never played him (probably because he realized he was poo poo), flat-out refused to work with Carroll then with Balotelli, although a risk to begin with, absolutely was incapable of playing in the way Rodgers seemingly wanted. Strurridge seems to be very much the exception but I'd credit that more to him being played as an actual striker, being healthy for more than 3 consecutive games and the presence of Suarez opening up more opportunities, not so much Rodgers being a tactical genius to get the best out of him.

What I'm trying to say is Brendan Out.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ninpo posted:

Clyne is quality though and his only real competition is a perpetually injured Rafael. :/

Rafael is going to be sold imo

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I had completely forgotten that Rodgers was responsible for signing Borini. Jesus.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Paperhouse posted:

Rafael is going to be sold imo

I would say "who would buy someone injured that often?" but then Juve and both Milan clubs want Jovetic...

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

pik_d posted:

I would say "who would buy someone injured that often?" but then Juve and both Milan clubs want Jovetic...
I think quite a few clubs would take a punt on him, he's a good player when fit and is still only 24. I don't really even know how much he was injured this season because for some reason he never got a game even when he could have played

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Liverpool had so much effing deadwood on the books year after year. Terrible recruiting year after year

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

sticksy posted:

I don't see how Rodgers would possibly get the best out of Benteke given his track record with strikers and for what they're asking.

He (over)spent money on Borini, never played him (probably because he realized he was poo poo), flat-out refused to work with Carroll then with Balotelli, although a risk to begin with, absolutely was incapable of playing in the way Rodgers seemingly wanted. Strurridge seems to be very much the exception but I'd credit that more to him being played as an actual striker, being healthy for more than 3 consecutive games and the presence of Suarez opening up more opportunities, not so much Rodgers being a tactical genius to get the best out of him.

What I'm trying to say is Brendan Out.

Borini is the right type of player to fit into how Rodgers wants to play, unfortunately he's poo poo. Rodgers and FSG were 100% right to sell Carroll and I don't think there is anyone who thinks we made a mistake getting rid of him. Balotelli was clearly not a Rodgers signing and I feel bad for the guy that he was saddled with that mistake.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's nice that you feel sorry for Balotelli

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

JFairfax posted:

It's nice that you feel sorry for Balotelli

I feel sorry for him too. He's clearly not right for us and was made to lool far worse than he is given the way we play.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

RVProfootballer posted:

lol at your fixation, the Benteke talk was entirely unrelated to Arsenal :)

Let the retard baby have his tantrum

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Ninpo posted:

Giroud is better than Benteke at both hold up play and overall integration with the team. Benteke is better overall but Jesus do you have eyes?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

blue footed boobie posted:

I had completely forgotten that Rodgers was responsible for signing Borini. Jesus.

I was certain it was actually Borini Hunter's call

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The Chronicle think Newcastle are willing to sell Cisse since other clubs are willing to pay £10m for him

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Giroud is better then benteke in pretty much every aspect.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Skip My Posts posted:

Let the retard baby have his tantrum

Go on then we're waiting, lmao

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Believe it or not, this was seen as a good transfer at the time. Rodgers knew him from his time at Chelsea and Borini was seen as a decent prospect (like all Liverpool transfers it seems) and he would get played a lot because Bellamy had just left and no one liked Carroll anyway. Then he got injured for ages in his first season, loaned out in his second and then Rodgers just didn't want to pick him after that.

I mean all of our strikers were dogshit this year, but at least Borini looked like he actually wanted to win and would just run around like a total maniac forever.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Giroud is better then benteke in pretty much every aspect.

Benteke has more goals in less games than Giroud in the Premier League and that's for a FAR worse side.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Benteke has more goals in less games than Giroud in the Premier League and that's for a FAR worse side.

No he hasn't? Plus he's villas only outlet for goals up front.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Rangers have signed Rob Kiernan

Warburton and Weir are obviously building from the back, and that partnership inspires more confidence than McCulloch and Zaliukas.

Still not sure on Eustace, seems like it's going in the wrong direction.

Ewar Woowar posted:

They're very different players with very different jobs and roles, I don't know if Arsenals style of play would ever actually suit a Lukaku type of player.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

No he hasn't? Plus he's villas only outlet for goals up front.

Going off wiki he has. Not that that's a totally reliable source.

They are different players and Giroud is a far better link up player (actually I think he's one of the best in the league) but Benteke has a lot more strings to his how than being a big oval office up front. He can actually play off the last defender as he's quick- something Giroud most certainly isn't.

They're both great players but I think there would be just as many people who would take Benteke over Giroud than the other way around.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

They're very different players with very different jobs and roles, I don't know if Arsenals style of play would ever actually suit a Lukaku type of player.

Is this a joke. I don't even know any more.

Benteke and Lukaku are very different players.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Benteke is so good that he's still going to play for Villa next season after being linked with big clubs for years.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Both are decent third tier strikers.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

euroboy posted:

Benteke is so good that he's still going to play for Villa next season after being linked with big clubs for years.

Maybe...

It's surprising that Liverpool, Tottenham or even United haven't made a move for him. All three need a striker and Benteke is only 24 and has a pretty good goal scoring record for a pretty terrible club. I mean he's not going to be cheap but he'd be a lot less of a gamble than most.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Johannes Geis from Mainz to Schalke is a Done Deal.

A couple of signs show that Kevin Trapp might make his way from Frankfurt to PSG, if Eintracht accepts the offer.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ewar Woowar posted:

Has tekkers had a hotel scandal yet though?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Twat le Piss posted:

Has tekkers had a hotel scandal yet though?

He's French. Cheating on your wife in a hotel isn't a scandal, it's a PR move.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

He's French. Cheating on your wife in a hotel isn't a scandal, it's a PR move.

Ceci n'est pas un hôtel

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gorn Myson posted:

I mean all of our strikers were dogshit this year, but at least Borini looked like he actually wanted to win and would just run around like a total maniac forever.

Like when he ran off after getting sent off at the Emirates.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

There are actual, legitimate (I.e. not the Mirror/metro) sources saying Liverpool are after Firminho.

I have never really seen him play but lots of people are very excited about it.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EvilHawk posted:

There are actual, legitimate (I.e. not the Mirror/metro) sources saying Liverpool are after Firminho.

Firminho/Coutinho, potato/potato

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

None of these people have ever seen him play either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

peanut- posted:

None of these people have ever seen him play either.

I cant wait for Tychans posts about him then

• Locked thread