Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
In Russia poo poo is crazy. But in China? poo poo is BIG!

edit: totally going to play this song at some huge cardio kickboxing class or something

and force people to punch in sync

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I did my first BJJ class ever last night. First martial art period, actually (I'm 29). It was really fun! I'm excited to go back. The gym seems nice and everyone was friendly and helpful.

I rolled with three different people. I have no idea what I'm doing but it's cool. The extent of my knowledge so far is some very basic guillotine defense and a couple of transitions from half guard to side control.

Really cool though! Ordered a gi off amazon later that night and it's getting here today.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
What are those amazing, legendary BJJ gyms that people visit when they come to Rio de Janeiro to train? I'm planning to start BJJ again and I'm going to visit the Gracie Barra and Gracie Humaitá gyms around where I live, and the smaller gyms as well, but I feel like there are supposed to be non-Gracie great instructors around who haven't yet fled to the USA.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hungry_bear_grr posted:

I did my first BJJ class ever last night. First martial art period, actually (I'm 29). It was really fun! I'm excited to go back. The gym seems nice and everyone was friendly and helpful.

I rolled with three different people. I have no idea what I'm doing but it's cool. The extent of my knowledge so far is some very basic guillotine defense and a couple of transitions from half guard to side control.

Really cool though! Ordered a gi off amazon later that night and it's getting here today.

glad you enjoyed it. keep us updated on your progress. I love hearing how new people get on.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

ICHIBAHN posted:

glad you enjoyed it. keep us updated on your progress. I love hearing how new people get on.

I'll try to check in every so often. Second class is tonight and I can't wait. The gi I bought fits perfect (just the basic Fuji one everyone on the internet recommends). The loaner gi they gave me Monday had super loose/long pants so I'm really amped to roll around in a gi that fits.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I don't know where to put this but I figure the experts will see it here

https://vimeo.com/130765059

Is that a heel hook in the middle of a loving rugby game or a bizzare accident? It looks like he's intentionally trying to snap his ankle there.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Looks intentional to me. gently caress that guy.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Intentional. Definitely not an accident. He got popped pretty well from the previous ruck and was probably looking for blood.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does it make sense to do practices Mon and Fri so there's a more regular interval between them? Does it harm conditioning or something? It'd also make a lot more sense given my weekly schedule.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I know this is a place for nerds to congregate but there is almost no necessity to min max your training stats since you probably won't be competing at a high enough level to get that into the minutiae. You will learn, get into shape and grow as a person by just showing up and doing work.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Is that a heel hook in the middle of a loving rugby game or a bizzare accident? It looks like he's intentionally trying to snap his ankle there.

What a massive oval office that guy is. That's someone's knee absolutely hosed for a very long time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, what about correlation between kick and impact? Does it hurt the same whether you land with shin or instep?

As far as correlation between kick and impact, it hurts the minute the kick hits the pad or the bag or whatever I'm kicking. And it's just when I land a kick with the instep.

I'm on vacation this week, so we'll see if giving myself some time off will help. If not, then I'll just suck it up and go to the doctor since I live in the land of socialized medicine (for now).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Novum posted:

I know this is a place for nerds to congregate but there is almost no necessity to min max your training stats since you probably won't be competing at a high enough level to get that into the minutiae. You will learn, get into shape and grow as a person by just showing up and doing work.

Truth. But even as a hobby grappler schedule matters for injury and mental focus. If I try to train every day I end up broken down, alternating days seems to do the trick. I personally don't optimize beyond that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

As far as correlation between kick and impact, it hurts the minute the kick hits the pad or the bag or whatever I'm kicking. And it's just when I land a kick with the instep.

I'm on vacation this week, so we'll see if giving myself some time off will help. If not, then I'll just suck it up and go to the doctor since I live in the land of socialized medicine (for now).

I wonder if it's a bone bruise under the Achilles insertion to the heel bone? That somehow flares up when you land on the instep, where the heel is pushed toward the calf.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

willie_dee posted:

Holy Christ. Who taught Palhares how to play Rugby?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

Looks intentional to me. gently caress that guy.

And then some:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/other-sport/rugby-league/watch-moment-left-rugby-league-9472874
"Thompson, who also plays second row, is likely to miss the remainder of the season and is taking unpaid leave from his job as a landscape gardener after rupturing his achilles and damaging his medial collateral ligament."

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I hope somebody knowledgeable about martial arts has contacted the authorities over there, that should be an assault conviction and paid compensation for time off work

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That was absolutely intentional willie

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
And then he just ran off too. Feel really bad for the victim.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The team's getting hassled on Facebook now too...

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I hope somebody knowledgeable about martial arts has contacted the authorities over there, that should be an assault conviction and paid compensation for time off work

Yeah

I like how that article says "nothing is broken" as if a broken bone would be worse than a ruptured achilles and MCL

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

After moving to the other side of the world I am also starting with BJJ after doing some half assed submission grappling.Cheapest place I could find was like 100$ a month in Australia so I consider that a victory in itself.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm gonna be straight here, I'm a fat gently caress that needs to drop a fair bit of weight, and I thought boxing might be a half decent way to do that.
The only boxing gym in the area is this one and from what the OP says to avoid it seems like it's alright but I wanted a more experienced opinion.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm gonna be straight here, I'm a fat gently caress that needs to drop a fair bit of weight, and I thought boxing might be a half decent way to do that.
The only boxing gym in the area is this one and from what the OP says to avoid it seems like it's alright but I wanted a more experienced opinion.

They offer a free class, and the website makes no bones about them being a fitness club. From the photo gallery, there seems to be at least some sparring. So.. Looks fine? Take the free class and make a decision, you have nothing to lose.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ShootaBoy posted:

all gyms market
"burn a million calories its fun!"
because
"we will hit you in the face and you will be glad because at least its not your liver again" will not pay the bills.

I would check it out and see. poo poo if you really just want a good workout, a non-sparring gym isn't terrible as long as they're not letting you get foolish (aka hurt) striking bags and mitts. They might have a core group of guys who spar and would be willing to bring you along if thats what you want.

EDIT: on their homepage they mention teaching someone how to box for her charity event. So, seems like they do spar.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
IMO you shouldn't spar if your goals are weight loss only.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

1st AD posted:

IMO you shouldn't spar if your goals are weight loss only.

Yeah, but if you're going to a boxing gym to do your exercise there must be at least some subconscious desire to get punched the face.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The Fool posted:

Yeah, but if you're going to a boxing gym to do your exercise there must be at least some subconscious desire to get punched the face.

the same applies in BJJ, but instead of getting punched is getting your trachea chocked.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Part of the reason I was looking into boxing is because the weight loss is a precursor to joining the military (my area has the highest unemployment in the state and I've only got a seasonal position right now so I'll be jobless come fall) and I thought knowing to how take a hit right would be a semi-useful skill.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ShootaBoy posted:

Part of the reason I was looking into boxing is because the weight loss is a precursor to joining the military (my area has the highest unemployment in the state and I've only got a seasonal position right now so I'll be jobless come fall) and I thought knowing to how take a hit right would be a semi-useful skill.

lmao no, i mean the fitness part would be usefull as gently caress, but learning to get punched in the face as a semi-usefull skill in the military is just LOL

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It should also be fine to go train at a sparring/competitive gym without sparring and being competitive. They usually like people who pay fees and take up less of the coach's time. No gym should ever be pressuring anyone into the ring. You'll learn better technique at a competitive gym, whether or not you intend to actually get into the ring. Sometimes I run into people who do the non-sparring gyms or "body combat" and their technique is like :psyduck:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I met a few "boxercise" people at a run recently and loving hell it's like they're learning anti-self defence, all the confidence of doing a martial art but very little of the useful bits

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Rabhadh posted:

I met a few "boxercise" people at a run recently and loving hell it's like they're learning anti-self defence, all the confidence of doing a martial art but very little of the useful bits

I have a cousin who, after getting burned by their McDojo years ago, finally decided to get back into martial arts, but he joined a cardio kick boxing class. He seems to like it which is good, and it's better than playing video games all day.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Martial arts experience won't help much in the military, army people are really bad at hand-to-hand combat. They just get taught a baseline in the hope that they won't panic and run away if they lose their weapon. But yeah, being fit would be Cool As Hell

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Fool posted:

Or just the other side -- punching someone else in the face. I've seen two people graduate to sparring, be completely upset about hitting and getting hit, hang in for a week, and then go back to the rest of their training.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I have a cousin who, after getting burned by their McDojo years ago, finally decided to get back into martial arts, but he joined a cardio kick boxing class. He seems to like it which is good, and it's better than playing video games all day.

Absolutely It's great to be doing exercise, but these guys were under the impression they were learning how to box minus the part where someone tried to box them back. I can completely understand not wanting to spar, but they/ their trainer should have been honest.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Pretty deep into another BJJ plateau. Loads of really strong new guys turning up that I'm having to really work hard to submit. loving BJJ.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
that sucks dude. I'm experiencing the opposite. everything is starting to come together. I'm creating dominant situations and getting finishes now, finally, while my defense is getting stronger. still white belt but enjoying the improvements.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

de la peche posted:

Pretty deep into another BJJ plateau. Loads of really strong new guys turning up that I'm having to really work hard to submit. loving BJJ.

I will not apologize for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

That's a good picture. The plateau will pass. It's not the first time and it won't be the last (unless somehow I get super clever)...

• Locked thread