Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

M42 posted:

So basically I have an anomalous weirdo head and the only helmets on the market that fit are scorpions (and I really don't like the latest models). Intermediate oval cranium shape, really narrow jawbone - so anything that fits my head completely fails the chin up/down test. gently caress :v:

Actually the scorpion I'm testing right now fails that test too, if I try. Fuuuuuuuuuck

Have you tried the Arai Signet-Q? Both the top liner and cheek pads come in different thicknesses. I've got a narrow face as well and it's quite snug with the thickest pads installed. My local shop was really cool and provides the customization of the correct pads free with purchase.

apologies if this has already been brought up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

So basically I have an anomalous weirdo head and the only helmets on the market that fit are scorpions (and I really don't like the latest models). Intermediate oval cranium shape, really narrow jawbone - so anything that fits my head completely fails the chin up/down test. gently caress :v:

Actually the scorpion I'm testing right now fails that test too, if I try. Fuuuuuuuuuck

M42
Nov 12, 2012

kuffs posted:

Have you tried the Arai Signet-Q? Both the top liner and cheek pads come in different thicknesses. I've got a narrow face as well and it's quite snug with the thickest pads installed. My local shop was really cool and provides the customization of the correct pads free with purchase.

apologies if this has already been brought up

This is with the extra smalliest liners that all the helmets come with (I tried an arai, XS felt pretty loose, not sure which model though). It's like my head is an XS (54") but my cheeks are 3XS.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

This is with the extra smalliest liners that all the helmets come with (I tried an arai, XS felt pretty loose, not sure which model though). It's like my head is an XS (54") but my cheeks are 3XS.

Can't you just buy bigger cheek pads and shove them in a helmet that fits your dome?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The biggest cheek pads possible are still too small is what I'm saying.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

M42 posted:

Oh, easy. Just get some cheek implants.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's not so crazy to modify cheekpads, really. I've done it, although not to make them thicker. Just need some sewing skills. I could see adding a layer of foam in there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Oh.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/413620-how-to-strengthen-your-jaw-muscles/#page=2
:shrug:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Continuing on the whole helmet thing. Someone told me that the internal shape of ECE/Snell helmets might be different for the same model of helmet, is that a thing? For example, the Shoei RF1200 VS the euro version, the NXR.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Continuing on the whole helmet thing. Someone told me that the internal shape of ECE/Snell helmets might be different for the same model of helmet, is that a thing? For example, the Shoei RF1200 VS the euro version, the NXR.

I'd be interested to know if this is the case; is my NXR more jug shaped in American markets?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

I'm saying gently caress it, and doing this:
https://www.bellhelmets.com/bell-custom-fit/#star-carbon

Yeah, it's about a thousand bucks but I wear my helmet nearly every day and at a shelf life of 5 years, figure I'm paying about 60c a day for a helmet that fits me exactly. I really wanted to buy an Arai Defiant, but it didn't quite fit me perfectly and gently caress paying $400+ for a helmet that doesn't fit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Shark and a few other manufacturers do helmets with inflatable padding that might be the solution you're looking for.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Funny you should mention, I ordered (and returned) a Scorpion EXO-500 with airfit. Too loose even pumped all the way up! Also they changed the internal shape to narrow.

Honestly I might just buy a Snell and be done with it. Shoei fits me really well and has like 2xs cheekpads.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Funny you should mention, I ordered (and returned) a Scorpion EXO-500 with airfit. Too loose even pumped all the way up! Also they changed the internal shape to narrow.

Honestly I might just buy a Snell and be done with it. Shoei fits me really well and has like 2xs cheekpads.

I think you're probably safer with a snell helmet that fits than an ECE helmet that doesn't.

edit:

Z3n posted:

Yeah, it's about a thousand bucks but I wear my helmet nearly every day and at a shelf life of 5 years, figure I'm paying about 60c a day for a helmet that fits me exactly. I really wanted to buy an Arai Defiant, but it didn't quite fit me perfectly and gently caress paying $400+ for a helmet that doesn't fit.

Let us know how it goes! Do you know the ETA from measure to delivery?

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 25, 2015

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Z3n posted:

If it's good enough for Troy Bayliss, it's good enough for me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

The motorcycling Gods have blessed you with freedom. Go helmetless, and let the wind whip through your hair like one of mighty Odin's valkyries! If you find yourself in a mead hall filled with fat, sweaty, leather clad men, then you are in Valhalla, and you're already dead!:black101:

#m00tlife

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

monsterzero posted:

If it's good enough for Troy Bayliss, it's good enough for me.

Troy Bayliss :swoon:

builds character posted:

Let us know how it goes! Do you know the ETA from measure to delivery?

No idea - need to scrape together my pennies first.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wow, ok, I completely missed that it was a custom headscanned one. Maybe someday...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Wow, ok, I completely missed that it was a custom headscanned one. Maybe someday...

Just don't buy a second beater bike to ride.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That and cough up for a flight to CA.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Just wear a goddamn helmet

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Woo, got my jar of Renapur from Amazon today, time to do up my jacket & gloves on Saturday since it looks like it's gonna be a washout.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Not to derail, but as I'm new to CA, who or what is m00t? Isn't that the jerk who created 4chan?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

YF19pilot posted:

Not to derail, but as I'm new to CA, who or what is m00t? Isn't that the jerk who created 4chan?

Sir Mootington is a pro level motorcycle rider who used to post here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Sir Mootington is a pro level motorcycle rider who used to post here.

Also a Peer of the Realm and master bike builder.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

YF19pilot posted:

That's a different moot.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

YF19pilot posted:

The best drag racer this subforum ever knew.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So is he dead or just inactive?

It doesn't really matter to me, I'm just curious and you're kind of making it sound like he died

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Behold, the glory of mootmoot.

Turning is hard.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I decided I'll stick to my transalp this year and not get a new gen tenere 660.

So, I got a 2015 klim badlands set instead.

First 120km impression is very good. All the pockets + air vents I'll ever need in Norway, build quality looks very good.
Stock d3o everywhere + tail bone foam thingy in the pants. Fit on the pants was good, the arms on the size large jacket could maaybe be 1.5-2 cm shorter, but still fits good. The whole set just screams solid and quality.

Now I'm actually looking forward to the next day with random rain showers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff5PcDYwjBU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I want that stuff encapsulating my body.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'm looking for a pair of the Alpinestars Black Leather Trackpants in 54, but all the online vendors I've tried seem to be out of stock. I was just by my local Cyclegear, and all they had were the white paneled versions.

I've tried:
SportBikeTrackGear
Revitt
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
and Amazon

Are there any other online stores of any note I might try? (I'm in the US of A for shipping purposes)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Motorcycle superstore?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
And revzilla?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I think I misremembered Revzilla as Rev'it. Thanks for the suggestions from both of you guys, but it looks like they are tapped out as well. My GF and I went gear shopping for her, and I have mad gear envy. She got some really nice Dainese boots and some really cool perf leather pants. Sedici, but they fit her perfectly. They had some even cooler SIDI boots, but they wouldn't fit over her ankles when in the pants. I've got some big baggy First Gear overpants that work well in the rain, but I want something tighter in leather now. And maybe some power ranger boots like the SIDI Vortice or Mag 1.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Commodore_64 posted:

I think I misremembered Revzilla as Rev'it. Thanks for the suggestions from both of you guys, but it looks like they are tapped out as well. My GF and I went gear shopping for her, and I have mad gear envy. She got some really nice Dainese boots and some really cool perf leather pants. Sedici, but they fit her perfectly. They had some even cooler SIDI boots, but they wouldn't fit over her ankles when in the pants. I've got some big baggy First Gear overpants that work well in the rain, but I want something tighter in leather now. And maybe some power ranger boots like the SIDI Vortice or Mag 1.

Yeah, I hear you on the baggy pants hate. I have a pair of Tourmaster Overpants and I love them for how they work, but they are fugly. It's funny, one size down (that I can almost squeeze my fat rear end into) and they're so much less baggy all over.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Well, I've been debating getting Vortices or something similar for something like 3 years now, so I finally bit the bullet and went in on some MAG-1's. I'm stoked!
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/sidi-mag-1-boots/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Renapur'd basically all my leather gear, including my ratty old jacket I only wear as a fashion item. My usual perforated jacket looks so shiny and new! Quite amazed with this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Commodore_64 posted:

I'm looking for a pair of the Alpinestars Black Leather Trackpants in 54, but all the online vendors I've tried seem to be out of stock. I was just by my local Cyclegear, and all they had were the white paneled versions.

I've tried:
SportBikeTrackGear
Revitt
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
and Amazon

Are there any other online stores of any note I might try? (I'm in the US of A for shipping purposes)

Competition accessories, or just Google the item name and check Google shopping. I got my tires for about $40-$50 cheaper from some dealership/brick and mortar website than online retailers.