Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Do you guys open all the curios, even when you don't have the items for interacting with them? That's the only way the amount of loot you're talking about seems possible. For me all my characters just go crazy from bad interactions, so I pretty much never touch anything in most dungeons except for the one or two items I'll bring for level specific stuff.

I walk down the halls holding W and accepting every interaction, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Do you guys open all the curios, even when you don't have the items for interacting with them? That's the only way the amount of loot you're talking about seems possible. For me all my characters just go crazy from bad interactions, so I pretty much never touch anything in most dungeons except for the one or two items I'll bring for level specific stuff.

I end up with maybe two or three slots short of a full inventory of loot on Medium missions. The only curio I don't touch is the pile of books because it has a poo poo interaction table, but I do indeed skip the curios I have no items for unless I don't care about Blights or Bleeds or stress because I am doing well. I'm in the camp that bringing a bit too much is better than bringing not quite enough, because even if you toss like four supply items during a mission, that's probably not even 1k gold, which is maybe one curio if you use the right item.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I often find myself throwing away fairly valuable non-consumables by the end of medium missions anyway, as the heirlooms, cash stacks, and gems all crowd out my inventory. The risk of opening everything seems greater than the reward since I'm already maxed out in what I can carry.

For shorter missions I'd be more likely to interact, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, as far as I can understand it, leveling up a hero's resolve is the only way to be able to subsequently level their equipment, and these guys are gonna go crazy and/or die on me pretty regularly until I upgrade the town a bit.

So upgrading the town by getting all the crests, portraits, deeds and whatever is my actual goal, starting out, rather than getting these jokers leveled-up or even worrying about their survivability/sanity.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Depends on what the curio is. Some of them only give a good result if you have an item for them and a bad result if you do not, like the shallow graves, locked luggage, and display cases. Some of them are 50/50 on good vs bad results if you interact with an object, like the iron maiden or the urns. And some of them feel more weighted toward a negative result than a positive one if you do not have the right item, like the stack of books, the troubling effigy, the confession booth. Those three examples actually do have positive outcomes to interacting with them, but the chances are either equal to or worse than the chances of a bad result being rolled and I feel the risk isn't worth the reward.

In short I'd say there are 3 kinds of curios. Those that I always interact with, mostly because I have the proper item to do so, those that I will usually interact with, even if i don't have the proper item, because I know the risks, and those that I will never interact with. It's like triage, but for poking things in a dungeon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Speedball posted:

So, as far as I can understand it, leveling up a hero's resolve is the only way to be able to subsequently level their equipment, and these guys are gonna go crazy and/or die on me pretty regularly until I upgrade the town a bit.

So upgrading the town by getting all the crests, portraits, deeds and whatever is my actual goal, starting out, rather than getting these jokers leveled-up or even worrying about their survivability/sanity.

Yes. This is like Football Manager and you are the biggest rear end in a top hat manager who doesn't give two fucks about the players.

Your job in early Darkest Dungeon is to literally feed your heroes to the meat grinder to get resources in return.

What is extremely key is that you can fire and hire new heroes for like nothing. And low level adventures really don't require you to spend money on supplies.

Darkest Dungeon is tough and can be kinda Roguelike, but its different because its more about town advancement per se than hero advancement, and even if all your heroes die you can't really hard-fail, you keep your town progress going continuously.

Once your town is upgraded a bit and you have some options, then you can worry more about getting a star team leveled up to do higher level missions and quests. At first just stick to the low level ones and when people get scared, rather than try to fix them with therapy, just sack them.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I don't touch curios without the items but I still come home with like 25000 gold from a long run.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Ok, the triage of curio interactions seems like a pretty good way to do it. Now to go pull up that reddit sperglord's curio list...

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Something better than this?
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

That's way better, thanks!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I hope they just bake that into the game. Keeping a wiki open is stupid, at most put them in as one time discoveries that you unlock for the rest of your save.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

How is scouting determined? Does each character have their own scouting score or is it all a pooled stat? For instance, let's say I have two people use a +scouting skill while camping and another is wearing a +scouting trinket. Are those bonuses independent of one another in the sense that they each apply to separate checks, or are the effects all additive?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

These battle nuns seem really applicable to a lot of different situations. Punching fools in the face up front, healing from the back, maybe a bit of both, and a skill that replenishes torchlight.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Time_pants posted:

How is scouting determined? Does each character have their own scouting score or is it all a pooled stat? For instance, let's say I have two people use a +scouting skill while camping and another is wearing a +scouting trinket. Are those bonuses independent of one another in the sense that they each apply to separate checks, or are the effects all additive?

I never did rigorous testing, but scouting seems to be pooled. Two people wearing a trinket and the camp buff could pretty reliably scout 2 rooms away and occasionally scout 3.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Picked this up from last sale, pretty fun/interesting.

One gripe though: It's hard to tell just how much provisions you should be bringing along. I usually get one full stack of food (12) and two full stacks of torches (16). I haven't run out of food yet, but I've come really close a few times.

Should I be bringing shovels or bandages or anything else?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 23, 2015

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
The worst thing about food is that, if a "hunger" event happens, it's all or nothing, the party requires a certain amount of food and if you have just one less they will all starve and take a huge amount of stress/hp damage. So you need to be very careful about those quirks that increase food consumption under certain conditions, because it applies to this and then keeping 4 food in the inventory just in case may not be enough. In other words your Crusaders disgusting stress eating habit might doom your run or even kill people because there is no way of prioritizing food.

To answer your question, I usually do with less torches but a bit more food. I take one full stack on a small mission and two full stacks on medium missions, even a bit more on long missions. The Weald and Gutter dungeons often have curious that give a ton of food when you take healing herbs, I think carcasses, meat wagons and these stone tables, this can save a bit of money or be used as a free healing opportunity.

Bandages are useful for some curious (check out the list posted above), I always take 2 or 3 and get lots of money and heirlooms in return. Shovels are a must, they can be used with several curious and more importantly clean out blockages which you would otherwise have to remove by hand and this also causes stress and HP damage. I never enter a dungeon without 2+ shovels.

sicDaniel fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 23, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Google Docs Curio Interactions

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

Picked this up from last sale, pretty fun/interesting.

One gripe though: It's hard to tell just how much provisions you should be bringing along. I usually get one full stack of food (12) and two full stacks of torches (16). I haven't run out of food yet, but I've come really close a few times.

Should I be bringing shovels or bandages or anything else?

It's always better to be on the safe side with food and shovels. I usually bring 1/2 a stack + 1/2 * difficulty, but less for Warrens and Weald because you can get food as rewards. But it's always better to take more food. It's cheap, it stacks to 12, and you can use it as a healing potion (it heals a % of max HP, so heal your big dudes first if possible).

As for the other curios, take a look at some of the curio list people have linked. Some supplies have no interactions at all in certain dungeons (e.g. no curio interacts with antivenom or bandages in the Ruins). You could take them to cure blight/bleed, but that's personal preference. I'd rather take more food instead.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dackel posted:

It's always better to be on the safe side with food and shovels. I usually bring 1/2 a stack + 1/2 * difficulty, but less for Warrens and Weald because you can get food as rewards. But it's always better to take more food. It's cheap, it stacks to 12, and you can use it as a healing potion (it heals a % of max HP, so heal your big dudes first if possible).

:aaa: This is good to know. I guess my guys are so low level, I just assumed it only ever heals 1hp.

Also I just got absolutely wrecked by the Hag. RIP my B-Team including my only Leper.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

:aaa: This is good to know. I guess my guys are so low level, I just assumed it only ever heals 1hp.

Also I just got absolutely wrecked by the Hag. RIP my B-Team including my only Leper.

I think most people's first real roadblock was the Hag. No way to just bruteforce like the Necro if you're not prepared. We've all been there :)

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

The Hag would be much better if the cauldron were only size 1 so half of the cast can actually hit her from rank 1.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I bring no torches on a short run, 4 torches on a medium or long. Your campfires are worth 4 torches each.

I bring 4 food on a short run and 8 food + 8 per campfire for those sweet heals and stress reductions.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Phrasing posted:

I bring no torches on a short run, 4 torches on a medium or long. Your campfires are worth 4 torches each.

I bring 4 food on a short run and 8 food + 8 per campfire for those sweet heals and stress reductions.

4 torches? Do you mean stacks? I go through at least a stack and a half (12~) on medium runs, even with the campfire

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Away all Goats posted:

4 torches? Do you mean stacks? I go through at least a stack and a half (12~) on medium runs, even with the campfire

I only take like, a couple torches for most stuff, just enough to activate curios. You can do just fine in the dark.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rayjenkins posted:

I only take like, a couple torches for most stuff, just enough to activate curios. You can do just fine in the dark.

Doesn't fighting in the dark stress out the heroes? Or is it because most of my heroes are still level 1?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Away all Goats posted:

Doesn't fighting in the dark stress out the heroes? Or is it because most of my heroes are still level 1?

Well, yeah that can happen, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. Nothing a day in the bar won't fix.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I FINALLY found a way to remove "The" and "Estate" from the estate screen. I dunno why, it bothered me :v: Anyways, it's in the miscellaneous strings file. There, you can also edit some other stuff like the Caretaker's lines and stuff. It's nice to be able to alter small stuff like this - reminds me of Dungeon of the Endless.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

sicDaniel posted:

The worst thing about food is that, if a "hunger" event happens, it's all or nothing, the party requires a certain amount of food and if you have just one less they will all starve and take a huge amount of stress/hp damage. So you need to be very careful about those quirks that increase food consumption under certain conditions, because it applies to this and then keeping 4 food in the inventory just in case may not be enough. In other words your Crusaders disgusting stress eating habit might doom your run or even kill people because there is no way of prioritizing food.

To answer your question, I usually do with less torches but a bit more food. I take one full stack on a small mission and two full stacks on medium missions, even a bit more on long missions. The Weald and Gutter dungeons often have curious that give a ton of food when you take healing herbs, I think carcasses, meat wagons and these stone tables, this can save a bit of money or be used as a free healing opportunity.

Bandages are useful for some curious (check out the list posted above), I always take 2 or 3 and get lots of money and heirlooms in return. Shovels are a must, they can be used with several curious and more importantly clean out blockages which you would otherwise have to remove by hand and this also causes stress and HP damage. I never enter a dungeon without 2+ shovels.
Shovels and bandaids seem to be the most useful in the most circumstances imho however, I really like holy water because there's a pretty decent chance of getting a negative trait cleansed if you find the right curio. I also don't mind bringing too much food because sometime it's my only heal available.

Also someone mentioned above that graves are always negative without a shovel however, I could swear that I have dug out a couple by hand and found loot, without getting sick. v:shobon:v

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

:suicide:

It just did not want to morph into the healing flesh.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Zeruel posted:

:suicide:

It just did not want to morph into the healing flesh.

Did you try stacking bleed effects on it? I think you can bleed even the non-healing flesh with a little luck.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Has anyone seen some rankings of how difficult each boss is? I think I've gotten that Wizened Hag is among the more difficult, and I rolled over Apprentice Necromancer and Swine Prince pretty well on the first try. What's next in the natural order of difficulty?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Lakitu7 posted:

Has anyone seen some rankings of how difficult each boss is? I think I've gotten that Wizened Hag is among the more difficult, and I rolled over Apprentice Necromancer and Swine Prince pretty well on the first try. What's next in the natural order of difficulty?

The Shambler is probably the trickiest, fitting considering it's a bonus boss. I had a nice team by the time I started boss runs so I can't say any were overly 'hard', it's all down to the team you bring (hint - make sure everyone can hit the back two rows). The Flesh is tricky, especially if you don't see many hearts or they appear in hard to hit areas, but having four parts with a shared health pool makes it vulnerable to AoE attacks.

The Prophet is a joke if you can hit the back row reliably (Arbalest/Occ/Highwayman/Hellion would make a mess of him, as will Men-at-Arms if you destroy the front pew and Retribution him constantly), but has good damage output. The cannon is really dangerous if you let it fire, but if you just kill the fuse guy every turn (he's super fragile) it's harmless, but takes ages to kill.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Rayjenkins posted:

Did you try stacking bleed effects on it? I think you can bleed even the non-healing flesh with a little luck.

I tried, but I guess I got complacent with how easy the prophet, pounder and hag were compared to Flesh.

First turn, my healer gets one-shot to deaths door with a blight, then dies. I should have pulled out then but a few lucky crits on it gave me hope.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Coucho Marx posted:

The Shambler is probably the trickiest, fitting considering it's a bonus boss. I had a nice team by the time I started boss runs so I can't say any were overly 'hard', it's all down to the team you bring (hint - make sure everyone can hit the back two rows). The Flesh is tricky, especially if you don't see many hearts or they appear in hard to hit areas, but having four parts with a shared health pool makes it vulnerable to AoE attacks.

The Prophet is a joke if you can hit the back row reliably (Arbalest/Occ/Highwayman/Hellion would make a mess of him, as will Men-at-Arms if you destroy the front pew and Retribution him constantly), but has good damage output. The cannon is really dangerous if you let it fire, but if you just kill the fuse guy every turn (he's super fragile) it's harmless, but takes ages to kill.

You don't even need to break any Pews to kill the Prophet with the MaA. Retribution Riposte ignores location requirements. Even if your MaA gets knocked to the back row and then hit with a separate attack later he'll still Riposte each one :ssh:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Oh I know, but it makes it go at least a little faster if you can hit him with the Retribution itself, and quick to do since you only have to knock over the first pew to bring him in range.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Ordered easiest to hardest in my experience: Swine King, Necromancer, Prophet, Cannon, Hag, Flesh.

Only the hag, cannon, and swine king have claimed heroes from me but the flesh seems like it's hardest to deal with.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Makes sense, especially considering that list is also basically 'more predictable <---> less predictable'. The Hag denying you a key team member or the Flesh spawning in ways that make it difficult to damage can really screw you up. Meanwhile, the Necromancer stresses you a bit and makes a dude, while the Swine King and Prophet just wail on you - you even get advance warning of the targets!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

What I find makes the Flesh lethal is it's sheer number of attacks. It can wipe out a character quickly if it gets lucky and from there things snowball.

It's weakness is that it's surprisingly weak to stuns. Hellion and the PD's double stuns work wonders on it and they both excel at stacking effects it's also weak to.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Thanks all. In the interim I did go and beat the Prophet without really any trouble at all. It basically got Riposte'd to death until the first Pew died, and then MOA did a crit on crush for 37 points of damage. I think somewhere in there the arbalest landed one for a similar amount too. Nobody ever went below maybe 50% health. I guess Cannon's next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You know I wish that there were more curios and poo poo in rooms. Rooms without a fight are so boring. :(