Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8ender posted:

Roxy sticker on a lovely Dodge Neon is a staple of the Ontario Southwest rural countryside

In Surrey where I grew up, it meant Easy(er) lay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

It's all part of the homosexual code. No fear means you're down for anything, DC shoes means you're into foot stuff.

In that context, browning means exactly what you think it does.
:monocle: They are so homophobic as a group, spreading that kind of thing might just work stopping it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Same car, same conditions, same drive, on costco premium it did 8.6 L/100km, and on costco regular it did 9.2 L/100km. That's 50km further a tank on premium.

So to match the 70 liter tank on premium at 815kms for $84, it would take 75 liters of regular, or $82.50.

Still not bad considering the EPA rating on the car is 10.7 l/100km highway, so i'm beating the EPA by 200km a tank.

Also interesting, the trip computer was optimistic on regular, pessimistic on premium.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Same car, same conditions, same drive, on costco premium it did 8.6 L/100km, and on costco regular it did 9.2 L/100km. That's 50km further a tank on premium.

So to match the 70 liter tank on premium at 815kms for $84, it would take 75 liters of regular, or $82.50.

Still not bad considering the EPA rating on the car is 10.7 l/100km highway, so i'm beating the EPA by 200km a tank.

Also interesting, the trip computer was optimistic on regular, pessimistic on premium.

I wonder what is actually going on. Is this because of ethanol ? Or is your motor detecting less knocks and increasing timing, running slightly more efficient ? I'd like to try something similar in my Hemi with torque running on my phone and see what exactly it's doing.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I have to prove it out but I noticed a jump in mileage switching the wifes skyactiv 3 to premium also. From high 8s to mid 7s city. If you need a cheap city car the mazda2 gets 7-7.5 in the city driving like an rear end.

I sold the 87 4runner a couple of weeks ago so I bought an intake and torsion bar for the 2. Its got a little growl now - it reminds me of Clarksons 500 abarth review (I know it's ridiculous). However, the intake path from factory is pretty convoluted though - the maf housing is shared by the ECU...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If any of you guys are skywatchers at all, go outside because there are some spectacular aurora going on right now!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

MrChips posted:

If any of you guys are skywatchers at all, go outside because there are some spectacular aurora going on right now!

Can't sleep - on it. Thanks!

Aurorawatch ran by the U of A is also awesome for this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ah poo poo, too bad I missed that. I had a tough time falling asleep last night too so I would have been up for it.

A distant relative once told me (very seriously)

:downs: "I can make the Northern Lights move by whistling"

I said

:) "Well, they move because they always are, but trust me, your whistle doesn't have anything to do with it. I can get into why this is certainly the case if you want to learn about them and it interests you."

:saddowns: "No, screw you. They move BECAUSE I WHISTLE. I can do this every time I see them and I have been for years! You don't know everything!" :argh:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Well, the geomagnetic storm that caused last night's aurora should continue almost as stong tonight; as long as there isn't any cloud cover, you should be able to see aurora overhead pretty much everywhere in Canada tonight!

http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/auroral-activity/kp

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So we were chatting several pages ago about the Lethbridge airshow in July and some of you guys seemed interested, so I thought I'd post the finalized program/info.

Days are July 24 & 25th (Friday and Saturday).

http://lethbridgeairshow.ca/performers/aerial-performers/

Highlights seem to be the :canada: Snowbirds, CF-18 demo (including Friday evening burner show-off flight), B-17 Demo, V-22 demo and several independent civilian aerobatic performers and teams.

Generally there are quite a few several static displays too. Promised is a C5 Galaxy, C17 Globemaster, E-3 Sentry/Awacs and a B-25.

The CF will usually have other stuff there too, probably a Herc, maybe some armour and US DHS usually send stuff too but it isn't promised so :iiam:

If you're interested hotels are supposedly starting to fill up and there is limited camping within 20 minutes of town so it's best to make plans ahead of time. Let me know if you need recommendations/advice.

I would normally offer to host a few people, but Mrs. Slidebite got creeped out by someone a few years ago so she asked I not invite people I haven't previously met. Sorry.

I would probably be up for getting together for a few beers or possibly join going to the show.

I'm leaning towards going Saturday but the Home Depot parking lot should probably offer a decent view of the evening Hornet demo Friday evening.

Lethbridge is typically pretty drat warm and dry at the end of July, so be prepared for heat especially on an asphalt apron for hours on end.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Environment Canada posted:

Tonight Partly cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers this evening and risk of a thunderstorm. Clearing late this evening. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low 10.

Well there's a chance it may be visible.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Red deer got a storm throughout it last night so now it's your turn.

I was working up by mayerThorpe a few years back and between the aurora and the full moon it almost felt like sunset at 2am

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I'm 50/50 whether or not I'm going to be there; either I will be there on static with the T-28 or I'm going to be up in Red Deer flying with the Air Cadets in the Stearman that weekend.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ok, with the same drive with the pickup, and was amazed to get 12.8 l/100km. pretty much the best this truck any 5.4 has ever gotten. over 18mpg.

Still 15 bucks cheaper with the car, now if only it had a pick-up bed.....

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Convert it to a ute.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Convert it to a ute.

Already checking sawzall reviews and pricing out a pail of bondo.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Take the trunk lid off the Lincoln. Easiest ute conversion ever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Take the trunk lid off the Lincoln. Easiest ute conversion ever.

The trunk in the lincoln isn't actually all that big because the frame is masively notched for the rear axle, it can probably lay frame from the factory.

I'm going to california to pick up truck parts. Each of the 2 updated VCT solenoids i need are $65 US or $330 canadian. The price difference pays for the round trip ticket and the first night's hotel!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sounds like you should just buy a trunkload of them and set up Powershift's Home Of Updated Ford VCT Solenoids.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Absolutely, why break even when you can $$PROFIT$$

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That could actually work. pretty much every 04-10 5.4 needs them, there are roughly *crunches calculator* 4 million of them in alberta. Even at half the price of local dealers, it's $100 profit per unit. I could also pick up some of the $5 injector pigtails canadian dealers want $40 for, or the $200 axle shafts they want $850 for.

You could immorally gouge people and still come in well under the dealer price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God drat, guy in the ad is trying way too hard to be funny, but I want this car. Looks clean as hell for its age and KM.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1995-pontiac-trans-am/1082430254?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Too bad it's not a 5spd but whatevs

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just heard on the radio the weather forecast has been updated for the weekend for pockets around Lethbridge to be 38C.
Bring it
:supaburn:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I have two field assistants this summer - to be reduced by one with the shuffling across the country my PI (boss) is doing, this weekend - and both are young women with relatively little exposure to broad experience of the world. The older one, all of 23 years, has an interesting personality quirk of pretty much always speaking what is on her mind. This is frequently spur-of-the-moment reaction to stimuli such as "we just drove past something" or "ExecuDork said something about Alberta". She was blown away, for example, by the revelation that the legal drinking age varies across the country.

A few days ago the other one, younger and from a tropical country (so has at least the experience of moving to a different country, and frequent air travel) asked if there were scorpions in Canada. The 23-year-old was once again shocked to learn that there are, in fact, such critters (as well as rattlesnakes and cacti and other stereotypical desert inhabitants) in Canada. Particularly in the dry and hotter parts, such as southern Alberta.

The two of them have taken the work truck to Banff for camping and hiking and other activities that I enjoy, though I doubt I'd enjoy it as much in teacher-mode with them; I'm going to Edmonton for a conference instead. Please tell me, Slidebite, any tales you have of the exotic wonders of southern Alberta's hot, dry summers. I love watching my assistants lose their goddamn minds when I reveal the secrets of the universe to them; urban-Onterrible naivete is so much fun to crush.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I have two field assistants this summer - to be reduced by one with the shuffling across the country my PI (boss) is doing, this weekend - and both are young women with relatively little exposure to broad experience of the world. The older one, all of 23 years, has an interesting personality quirk of pretty much always speaking what is on her mind. This is frequently spur-of-the-moment reaction to stimuli such as "we just drove past something" or "ExecuDork said something about Alberta". She was blown away, for example, by the revelation that the legal drinking age varies across the country.

A few days ago the other one, younger and from a tropical country (so has at least the experience of moving to a different country, and frequent air travel) asked if there were scorpions in Canada. The 23-year-old was once again shocked to learn that there are, in fact, such critters (as well as rattlesnakes and cacti and other stereotypical desert inhabitants) in Canada. Particularly in the dry and hotter parts, such as southern Alberta.

The two of them have taken the work truck to Banff for camping and hiking and other activities that I enjoy, though I doubt I'd enjoy it as much in teacher-mode with them; I'm going to Edmonton for a conference instead. Please tell me, Slidebite, any tales you have of the exotic wonders of southern Alberta's hot, dry summers. I love watching my assistants lose their goddamn minds when I reveal the secrets of the universe to them; urban-Onterrible naivete is so much fun to crush.

well, on that subject, weather canada just issued this

quote:

A strong ridge of high pressure will continue to build over Western Canada this weekend allowing hot air to invade Southern and Central Alberta. The warmest temperatures are expected Saturday and Sunday afternoon where daytime highs are forecast to reach into the low to mid 30's. Temperatures will be warmest in southeastern portions of the province where daytime highs are forecast to reach 38 degrees. Overnight lows are also forecast to remain in the mid to upper teens therefore limiting any reprieve from the heat.

That's phoenix arizona weather right there, no joke. it could be hotter at midnight in lethbridge than it has been all week in los angeles. It's still supposed to hit 31*c in banff which should make their hike entertaining.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Man, we could fill an entire thread with rural Albertan stories. You could tell them about Cardston, the Mormon settlement-cum-small-town where drinking is still illegal by plebiscite.

You could take them to our many exciting ghost towns. Slung Blade and I found records of a place called Swastika, Alberta which disappeared off the map at some point in the 1950s (wonder why) and was dissolved.

The Badlands in particular have some pretty amazing ecologies going on; horned lizards would also be a surprise for Ontarians. Where you find scorpions you'll probably also find rock wrens and burrowing owls. We also have black widows, though I've only seen a few.

If you go along with what paranormal investigators have to say, structures born of Alberta's most creepy post-colonial history are haunted. The Banff Springs Hotel, the old Grace Hospital in Calgary, and pretty much all of the rolling cornfucker freakshow that is Taber are included in my most memorable "oh my god you guys I just got back from X and it was totally haunted" urbex stories.

A large portion of Alberta's northern landmass is a buffalo preserve.

You could also take them to Ponoka for a day trip. That place is weirder than Lethbridge on meth.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 26, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could also take them to Ponoka for a day trip. That place is weirder than Lethbridge on meth.
I vote for Zama

But yeah, there are TONS of Mormons in the area. Some pretty good genes though as a far higher portion of the women are far prettier than they have any right to be. The religious right in general is pretty strong once you get outside of the Greater Lethbridge area (if I can call it that?). Hell, we have an honest to god Creation museum in the armpit town of Bow Island. I have been meaning to go there.

Going to probably disappoint you with no personal tales of excitement. About all I've ever done is painful fall into a cactus patch, but that was my own inebriated fault. :saddowns:

For animals, most are touched on already. I guess the only other things that they might find is a little shocking is that we have a healthy population of Black Widows, but I suspect you have those back east too.

For reptiles, in addition to the Rattler population we have a good population horned lizards, hog snakes and bullsnakes. The bullsnakes in particular hiss and try to sound all ferocious to scare you away (almost like a rattlers rattle) but I think they are just :3: That Rattler video guy I posted earlier had a good vid of him pissing off a bullsnake he rescued to demonstrate this: https://youtu.be/HDpQXIYSuLI?t=356

There are 2 types of scorpions here, although one of them is more of an ugly quasi spider/scorpion, the Sun/Wind Scorpion. The Northern Scorpions are the true scorpions with the stingers that hurt like a sunabitch if you get stung. Unless you have an allergy or something it's not worse than a really bad bee sting and goes away within a couple hours, but it supposedly to really smart. I do not have first hand experience being stung though.

You should take some basic care working in the back yard this time of year as you never know what's underneath that thing you're lifting up. I generally wear gloves if I know I'm doing a bunch of work just to be safe however a little common sense is probably all you need, like don't stick your hands completely under a board or something. If you are in the River Valley area in particular or close to it, you do need to keep an eye open for Rattlers, especially if you're walking your inquisitive dog.

We have a healthy and strong bird of prey population from the little Prairie Merlins, Owls, Swainsons Hawks and Eagles.. although those are typically closer to the foothills or nest in the River valley. If you ever make it down I strongly recommend a visit to the Birds of Prey center in the little bedroom community of Coaldale, about 5-10 minutes East of Lethbridge. They have several raptors which they have saved from sure death and nurse them back to health usually with the hope of releasing them but some cannot so they keep them in their sanctuary to live out their lives in luxury. You can't go more than a couple miles without seeing hawks circling looking for their next meal. We have a growing population of Vultures too. It's fun seeing a buzzard stick its head into the rotting corpse of a deer.

Non-predator or scary animal related,

We have a unique cottonwood forest in that the cottonwood trees naturally make hybrids with the poplar trees in the River valley, so if you are into that kind of stuff I guess it's cool. The burgeoning Raccoon population loves hanging out in the cottonwoods by day only to clamber out of the river valley at night and hunt through yards for the next dinner. Skunks are becoming more common in town too, but I still find both of those more cute than nuisance.

We are the North-Western range of the Pronghorn, the fastest land animal in North America. Smart like stump but can go in a full-out run of 55MPH/90KPH for a KM.

Medicine Hat and the South Saskatchewan valley gets most of the cool critters we get too and interestingly their summers are generally a degree or so warmer than Lethbridge. However, similar to Calgary, the winters are measurably colder compared to us even though they are only 2 hours away.

e: Just to be clear I don't want to make it sound like Lethbridge is overrun with snakes, scorpions and black widows. It isn't but they are there. I think the Rattlers are actually endangered.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 26, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You could also visit Mayor Slung Blade at his mansion in Dalroy.

I think the fact that SA has had at least two goon mayors at this point is weirder than any number of potentially dangerous snakes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm friends with the Mayor of GP. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he turned out to be a goon but I never asked him.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm going to tell this story now because there's probably never going to be any other chance to.

So a long time ago I went to the Stampede as an impressionable teenager. Part of my journey was going to the ag building, because even then I knew I wasn't wired quite right and didn't belong in the urban hellscape that I was being sent towards. Shapes and images pulsed at the corner of my vision, not helped by my classmate's four-on-the-floor '72 GMC C10 stepside, which had a wood bed and was a loving awesome truck. I'm pretty sure she lives up north now in Ardrossan and might even be involved with Cold War Motors, but we've been out of touch for so long who knows.

Anyway, so here I am sitting in the ag building during a cattle auction.

If you've never been to an Alberta cattle auction I have two questions to ask you:
  • When are you moving back to Ontario, comrade?
  • Hands off our oil
I'm sitting in the stands next to these two Boss Hogg motherfuckers dressed like J.R. Ewing, and they're both taking these heinous hits off a succession of flasks that they have hidden in pockets next to their skinny ties. As the auction progresses, both of them are becoming progressively more drunk, and I think about starting to move, because they're beginning to harass other people in the audience. Eventually one of the Stampede ushers comes by and shoos them out of the stands, and their cursing and yelling gets harder and harder to hear over the sounds of furious bidding over some really awesome bull or something, I don't know.

Later I'm at Superdogs and guess who's sitting in front of me?

I have to say it was pretty entertaining watching two cattle magnates scream invective at the dogs that failed to herd sheep correctly.

And that's what it's like to live in Alberta.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alberta really has an amazing variety of landscapes all within a few hundred kms. That's why so many wild-westy type shows film there. from calgary, in 3 hours in any direction you can simulate almost any landscape in north america, outside of costal regions. in a 3 hour drive you can go from ohio to nevada to colorado, or even the deep south(i'm lookin at you, lethbridge) and at the right time of year in a 3 day period see a foot of snow and +35*C.

quote:

However, similar to Calgary, the winters are measurably colder compared to us even though they are only 2 hours away.

Well, yeah, you drive over the border and the temperature suddenly drops 50 degrees. It's a balmy 86* in great falls montana, couple hours north in calgary it's a freezing 27*

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There is that massive change at the border. Only time it doesn't seem to happen is strangely at -40. :iiam:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any of you Lethbridge folks interested in checking out a car for sale ? It's an 02 wrx I wouldn't mind turning into a fun little project car... I just don't want to make a 900km trip to find out its a dud, although the owner says the car would be fine to make the drive back.

Edit: of course I would pay you for your time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's probably a dud.

I found my old WRX in the background of pictures of some seats i was considering for my truck. checked his other ads and it's definitely the car. What are the fuckin chances?

judging by the type of poo poo he sells, i think he bought it from the pick-n-pull.

These are the seats, it looks like he's trying to hide the drivers seat damage with the back seat.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 26, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

Any of you Lethbridge folks interested in checking out a car for sale ? It's an 02 wrx I wouldn't mind turning into a fun little project car... I just don't want to make a 900km trip to find out its a dud, although the owner says the car would be fine to make the drive back.

Edit: of course I would pay you for your time.
I probably can but how deep of a check do you want? Is it in town? I have company coming Sunday so would need to be before then.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

These are the seats, it looks like he's trying to hide the drivers seat damage with the back seat.

You can even see it coming apart in the picture. I always want to ask these people if they actually believe I'd get there and just go "gently caress it, I'm already here, may as well buy something in terrible condition that I thought was fine"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm selling the king ranch and turning the powerstroke into a rolling project vehicle. Looking at leather to make the interior less work-truck.

genuine leather is almost as cheap as the lame polyester stuff. You could make it feel like you're on the inside of an inside out pig for like $150 bucks

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

I guess the only other things that they might find is a little shocking is that we have a healthy population of Black Widows, but I suspect you have those back east too.

I already blew their minds with this bit of knowledge. Neither had any idea that Black Widows were a) not lethal unless you're old/immune compromised/allergic and b) present in healthy numbers in many parts of Canada. Watching their eyes bug out is just too much fun.

I'll try to swing a visit to southern Alberta, everything you mentioned sounds like a blast.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you've never been to an Alberta cattle auction I have two questions to ask you:
  • When are you moving back to Ontario, comrade?
  • Hands off our oil
And that's what it's like to live in Alberta.
I worked the Stampede, two years running, the last couple of years of High School. One day I was supposed to act as a one-way valve for vehicle access (vehicles go out, they don't go in) to the giant stable where they were keeping the prize-contending "best cow" and "best goat" and so forth. Problem was, they didn't tell me which side was "outside" (it wasn't obvious to me, sat beside a big red gate in a huge crowd of overweight, sweaty ag-tourists) so I basically let every car through in both directions. That was about 4 vehicles over an 8-hour shift, so no big deal I guess. I was in Parking, which is lame until your stuporvisor (Terry - whatever happened to you and your hat condom, Terry? You were a good boss) calls in on the radio to report the roided-up dickholes who just walked past your little barrier by the Saddledome. I'd never been intimidated by an anonymous white van before that - one pulled up, disgorged several very large and very angry looking dudes (sunglasses, earpiece, tight white T-shirts with no logos), and the previously-mentioned dickholes were Disappeared. I assume Calgary Exhibition and Stampede, Ltd., didn't take a page from Pinochet's playbook, but I have no direct evidence. I didn't see any helicopters myself, but it's a very noisy place when the Stampede is in full swing. I also picked up a few shifts at the Petroleum Convention, which co-incided with some kind of pre-Stampede small-scale rodeo. Getting yelled at by a looks-tough Cowboy for not letting him drive right over me and my little barrier (those rolling, 3-part gates will seriously gently caress up a car or pickup. I've seen what happens when an idiot rams the barrier... they don't get far) was a quick lesson in "don't judge a book by its cover". Motherfucker was whinging hard about carrying his saddle all of 100m. What happened to that cowboy toughness, you little poo poo? Yeah, yelling at some 16-year-old in a stupid hat is a great way to get some special access.

I'm not bitter, it's just another Stampede story.

I'm back to Onterrible in mid-September, don't worry there (pseudo)Tex. I've got my Suncor I.D. badge, hardhat, hi-vis vest, steel-toes, and gloves right here, which *should* entitle me to some kind of discount at every Husky and PetroCan across the country, though sadly I don't think it works that way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, it certainly doesn't work that way. I can't phone direct energy when my gas bill is $200 a month screaming at them "i helped get this poo poo out of the ground for you, fucker :argh:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

ExecuDork posted:

I'm back to Onterrible in mid-September, don't worry there (pseudo)Tex. I've got my Suncor I.D. badge, hardhat, hi-vis vest, steel-toes, and gloves right here, which *should* entitle me to some kind of discount at every Husky and PetroCan across the country, though sadly I don't think it works that way.

Sadly it won't, but your Suncor ID badge will get you between 50 & 90% off everything Acklands Grainger carries. ( I have one as well and may or may not make use of it very regularly.)