Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Finally beat Byblos. Had to get absurdly lucky with the drain counterattacks, needed Lenna to die a few times so she could use focus to knock him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i got a death sickle on my first try and i wasn't even sure which enemies dropped them

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MrAristocrates posted:

Also Speed is always the best effect.

This is truth. The best way to kill NED is to get in all of your turns before he can even act.

Tybolt
Jul 27, 2014
I've never gone Bare/Freelancer up to the Water Crystal before. I'm still not sure how I even got past Siren.

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

Suck it Jumbo Cactuar Neo Exdeath!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Renzuko posted:

Quick question, is there any real synergy between blackmage, berserker and bard? like, is it worth it to try and cross class any of their skills?

Equip Harps is one of the better passives for a Zerker...

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bad Seafood posted:

Oh man oh geez.

Welcome to hell. :smith::hf::smith:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
NIN/ZERK/RAN/ZERK

Liquid Flame was a nightmare, but killing the rest of the World 1 bosses in a couple turns felt good. Nothing feels better after last year's WHM/ZERK/BRD/ZERK run than beating Byblos before he even gets a turn.

E:

Tybolt posted:

I've never gone Bare/Freelancer up to the Water Crystal before. I'm still not sure how I even got past Siren.

Hitting her in her normal form and then focusing on healing when she's undead. I used Daggers and row-switching to maximize the effect. Just make sure you pick up the Frost Rod in that-town-whose-name-I-forgot before heading to North Mountain, it turns what might have been a painful boss fight into a three-round affair.

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 23, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

axes or knives on liquid flame as four zerkers, do you think. i'm leaning axes, i need as few blaze transitions as possible, but otoh axes have a bad habit of leaving him stuck in tornado for a while and letting him heal

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
*tries Shinryuu... wipes in 5 seconds*

*tries Shinryuu with different equipment... wipes in 9 seconds*

Well, as is Chicken Knife Rapid Fire deals 5500, Apollo Harp does 5500, and my other two characters combined do about the same as those two on the first turn. So I'd need 4 turns to kill him.

Which isn't going to happen unless I get lucky as all hell.

So, I guess I'm going to keep trying for a bit, and if luck isn't going to work, grind a bit. Man, if you could Rapid Fire Apollo Harp this would be so easy.

If I had time to buff with my Bard, things would be different, but that's just not going to happen.

Hmm. Is preemptive attack possible on Shinryu?

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 23, 2015

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Fungah! posted:

axes or knives on liquid flame as four zerkers, do you think. i'm leaning axes, i need as few blaze transitions as possible, but otoh axes have a bad habit of leaving him stuck in tornado for a while and letting him heal

Definitely knives. I had this same issue, the reliability of knives trumps the potential for greater damage from the hammers. After losing 5 times at levels 15-18, I got up to 22 and was able to get by without much trouble. You should be fine anywhere above 20.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Equip Harps is one of the better passives for a Zerker...

What exactly does Equip Harps grant for Berserker? Just a nice stat spread from the Bard?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Alabaster White posted:

What exactly does Equip Harps grant for Berserker? Just a nice stat spread from the Bard?

It gives the best agility boost other than Bows, a solid (+11) magic boost, and the ability to use harps.

But given that other than the Apollo Harp, all harps do percent damage (and do absolutely nothing on heavy targets), I'm pretty sure he's joking.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

setafd posted:

you're doing pretty great already

give your black mage !animals for free and really good heals

Yeah you're right, Black Mage/ Red Mage/ Ranger is pretty okay. Now to see what my Earth job is...

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Soon as I get a good night's sleep, it's time for some tree surgery.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Alabaster White posted:

Decent agility and magic. So you get turns more often and can get some nice damage with Gaia Hammer/Rune Axe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

aaaaa my file got corrupted after an hour of grinding berserker adsf

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alabaster White posted:

It grants the Bard's Agility (32, up from Berserker's 15) and Magic Power (35, up from 1).

The biggest part of it is the magic score - it dramatically empowers the Rune Axe.

quote:

[20:59:38] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 45 rune 1
[20:59:39] <@CarbyBot> Level 35, 45 Strength and 1 Magic Power gives Rune Weapon M of 14 (as long as you have MP). To get a bonus M, you need to reach level 37 for Strength, 129 for Magic!
[20:59:47] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 45 rune 35
[20:59:48] <@CarbyBot> Level 35, 45 Strength and 35 Magic Power gives Rune Weapon M of 23 (as long as you have MP). To get a bonus M, you need to reach level 37 for Strength, 37 for Magic!

An increase of about 65% is pretty drat good.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Oh, I forgot Rune Axe benefited from MA.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

It grants the Bard's Agility (32, up from Berserker's 15) and Magic Power (35, up from 1).

The biggest part of it is the magic score - it dramatically empowers the Rune Axe.

An increase of about 65% is pretty drat good.

Riiiight, Rune Axe. Excuse me for somehow forgetting about axes and hammers :v:

Tybolt
Jul 27, 2014
Praise RNG! Who the gently caress is this guy anyway? Magissa's boyfriend? Summon?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
111 Skeletons later I have daggers and can leave the drat boat graveyard.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tybolt posted:

Praise RNG! Who the gently caress is this guy anyway? Magissa's boyfriend? Summon?

I was in the same position, having freelancers until water, I just broke the frost rod from carwen on magissa and killed her in one shot.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I just autoattacked the pair to death with my freelancers :v:.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Lilli posted:

I just autoattacked the pair to death with my freelancers :v:.

Siren was such a pain in the butt I didn't even wanna mess with her.

Tybolt
Jul 27, 2014
I was worried I'd need the rod later so I save scummed a few times until Magissa didn't use drain which was like a one-hit kill on anyone she touched and just barely made it through. Now I'm enduring Y Burns and then I can finally get some jobs going after dealing with Garuda.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Supremezero posted:

*tries Shinryuu... wipes in 5 seconds*

*tries Shinryuu with different equipment... wipes in 9 seconds*

Well, as is Chicken Knife Rapid Fire deals 5500, Apollo Harp does 5500, and my other two characters combined do about the same as those two on the first turn. So I'd need 4 turns to kill him.

Which isn't going to happen unless I get lucky as all hell.

So, I guess I'm going to keep trying for a bit, and if luck isn't going to work, grind a bit. Man, if you could Rapid Fire Apollo Harp this would be so easy.

If I had time to buff with my Bard, things would be different, but that's just not going to happen.

Hmm. Is preemptive attack possible on Shinryu?

Do you have some way of inflicting berserk? At that point you're just dealing with his physical attack, and while it's a one-hit kill, it only hits one person at a time.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tybolt posted:

I was worried I'd need the rod later so I save scummed a few times until Magissa didn't use drain which was like a one-hit kill on anyone she touched and just barely made it through. Now I'm enduring Y Burns and then I can finally get some jobs going after dealing with Garuda.

Garuda was a joke after getting the drake because you can go to tycoon and get all those weapons from the basement, freelancers can equip them so I had a samurai sword and a bell and whatever else was down there and just powered through the water tower.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

Garuda was a joke after getting the drake because you can go to tycoon and get all those weapons from the basement, freelancers can equip them so I had a samurai sword and a bell and whatever else was down there and just powered through the water tower.

The whip is the best thing there.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So I'm about to head off for world 2 but had a quick question. With my party setup I'm probably going to want Flame Rings for the crystal fight. Do I still need Angel Rings for anything from this point on? Because selling the four I have would help reduce the grinding I'd need to do for the Flame Rings.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

dis astranagant posted:

The whip is the best thing there.

Yeah , the whip from Magissa, the bell, and the sword together killed Garuda in one round

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Going live with my own fiesta run of Final Fantasy 5. Gonna be a long one folks!

Hahahahaha 4 black mages. This is stupid as hell.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 23, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
got my fourth class

i'm gonna have fun coming up with fun combos of skills

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

First run with with MK/Ninja/Zerker/Zerker

This group was hideously overpowered. I underflowed Rune Axe and Earth Hammer for insane damage. Incredible fun.

To anyone who moans about getting zerkers: they actually are a ton of fun if you know how to make your equipment work for you. For World 2 zerkers carried the poo poo out of my normally overpowered non-Zerking jobs. And as good as MK and Ninja are, they slow way down until you get to endgame.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
You know, after playing a lot of Final Fantasy XII again lately, and earlier playing FFXIV's free trial, it feels really weird to be playing Final Fantasy V, and thinking, oh yeah, this is a main series Final Fantasy game. It feels so different to what I've been used to the last little while.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ultrafilter posted:

Do you have some way of inflicting berserk? At that point you're just dealing with his physical attack, and while it's a one-hit kill, it only hits one person at a time.

Ranger/Bard/Dancer/Dancer. No, I don't. Believe me, I looked.

... but it worked out anyway. I ground out another 5 levels, and with a lot of luck, killed him.

:bang: And, due to shock, only barely got a picture of him dying. :bang:

Please tell me this picture is good enough.

I DON'T WANT TO DO IT AGAIN

Does a picture of getting the Dragon Seal still count? I remember it did in past years.

Or was it you standing in front of the empty chest, I forget. Well, I'll take that picture too anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Supremezero posted:

Ranger/Bard/Dancer/Dancer. No, I don't. Believe me, I looked.

... but it worked out anyway. I ground out another 5 levels, and with a lot of luck, killed him.

:bang: And, due to shock, only barely got a picture of him dying. :bang:

Any/all of those would count for #VictoryShinryu. Congrats!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
titan would be really rough if not for samurai having a huge hp pool

Tybolt
Jul 27, 2014

This is all I've waited for, and I could not ask for more except for two more Berserkers.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kyrosiris posted:

Any/all of those would count for #VictoryShinryu. Congrats!

Awesome. And now I got

Neo Exdeath!

I was right about never getting to see Almagest.

Actually, he never got to use anything but physical attacks and a random Aeroga.

So, that's everything. Only things I didn't do were Bahamut (Only way I'd survive is Reflect Rings, which I didn't have enough of when I was in that area), and of course the post game junk. Is getting a second team for another run a thing? I remember it happening last year, but I think it was slow as heck to get it or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
*gets home from work, boots up VBA, notices that one guy died to Sandworm 91 times with a level 40 Berserker team*

I'm guessing my team's current levels of 25 won't cut it at all. Well, grinding time then.

I am really sick of these Mini Dragons spamming Frostbite and slowing my grinding though. Would it be worth it to buy a set of Flame Rings (I've got 112k at the moment), or should I save my gil for Angel Rings on Soul Cannon?

• Locked thread