Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

See, I didn't like that scene. I liked the idea that The Terminator remained unfeeling the entire movie, even at the end. That way it's all on Sarah and John, their humanity allows them to see The Terminator as human even though he isn't. The chip-scene states clearly that, nope, give him enough time and he becomes basically human. That kind of bores me. I find projection more interesting than AI.

And the learning chip is kind of dumb anyway because how much does your Terminator need to learn about post-nuclear war society to fit in? Everybody is coughing at each other and looking miserable, no need for learning how to act fancy.

Well to be fair, while the learning chip isn't hugely important for the battlefield, the Terminator wasn't just developed for that now was it? It was an agent to go back in time as well, so learning and adapting to whatever time period it ended up in is pretty key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Burkion posted:

Well to be fair, while the learning chip isn't hugely important for the battlefield, the Terminator wasn't just developed for that now was it? It was an agent to go back in time as well, so learning and adapting to whatever time period it ended up in is pretty key.

You'll have to refresh my memory there, was the T-800 designed specifically for his mission in T1? The way I remember it it's just used for general infiltration stuff and happened to be on site when Skynet frantically meshed the On-button on the time machine.

And then there is the opening for T2.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

You'll have to refresh my memory there, was the T-800 designed specifically for his mission in T1? The way I remember it it's just used for general infiltration stuff and happened to be on site when Skynet frantically meshed the On-button on the time machine.

And then there is the opening for T2.

It was designed specifically as the perfect infiltration unit, which would require seemingly being more personable than not. We don't know if it was made specifically with time travel in mind, but it'd make sense given the human resistance didn't even know about the time travel til they took down one of the bases with the equipment for it.

We see in T2 that Skynet furthered their plans as far as that went with the T1000, which could act almost completely human when needed and was similarly a learning machine.

If you take the SCC show into canon, then it supports the idea that Skynet built the T-800s or whatever variant of them for time travel purposes, just because of how many it has sent across the different eras.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Burkion posted:

If you take the SCC show into canon, then it supports the idea that Skynet built the T-800s or whatever variant of them for time travel purposes, just because of how many it has sent across the different eras.

This doesn't necessarily follow. The T-800 (and variants) just seem to be the most-produced Terminator chassis (or at least the ones we see more of that aren't "the old plastic-skinned ones that couldn't pass a visual check").

Terminator media seems to re-use the T-800 chassis with tiny variations so much the impression comes across (to me at least) that Skynet has settled on it as a 'standard' model for humanoid terminators.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd say Hercules in New York, but yeah. I just didn't want to type The Terminator all the time.

Uuaaauuhhh....OLYMPUS!

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

WarLocke posted:

This doesn't necessarily follow. The T-800 (and variants) just seem to be the most-produced Terminator chassis (or at least the ones we see more of that aren't "the old plastic-skinned ones that couldn't pass a visual check").

Terminator media seems to re-use the T-800 chassis with tiny variations so much the impression comes across (to me at least) that Skynet has settled on it as a 'standard' model for humanoid terminators.

The reason that Terminator media keeps making tiny changes to the T-800 chassis is that the rights to the term "T-800" are held by a different company that the rest of the terminator rights, so they can save money by changing it to T-850 or T-888 or whatever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Burkion posted:

It was designed specifically as the perfect infiltration unit, which would require seemingly being more personable than not. We don't know if it was made specifically with time travel in mind, but it'd make sense given the human resistance didn't even know about the time travel til they took down one of the bases with the equipment for it.

We see in T2 that Skynet furthered their plans as far as that went with the T1000, which could act almost completely human when needed and was similarly a learning machine.

I wouldn't consider the SCC show canon because I like the image of Skynet scrambling to throw stuff into the time machine in a last ditch effort not to lose the war. That's what I took from T1 and T2, that Skynet was losing, sent one of its standard infiltration units back to kill Sarah and an untested prototype to kill John, because that was what was close by at the time the Resistance finally broke into Skynet's compound.

As for the infiltration, I'd again say that infiltration in the post-apocalyptic future certainly wouldn't require a chip like in T2. Skynet would just have to make every Terminator watch Mad Max 1-4 and they're good to go.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

INH5 posted:

The reason that Terminator media keeps making tiny changes to the T-800 chassis is that the rights to the term "T-800" are held by a different company that the rest of the terminator rights, so they can save money by changing it to T-850 or T-888 or whatever.

Right, but we don't see any overtly different models, they're all basically the same, stock mass-produced design. Other than explicitly-stated experiments like the T-1000 (and I guess the weird female hybrid in T3, I don't remember if that one is explained anywhere and I can't be assed to watch it again).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Right, but we don't see any overtly different models, they're all basically the same, stock mass-produced design. Other than explicitly-stated experiments like the T-1000 (and I guess the weird female hybrid in T3, I don't remember if that one is explained anywhere and I can't be assed to watch it again).

Arnold explains briefly that, since the resistance is able to reprogram and intelligently communicate with its stuff to get it to work for the resistance, the T-X was designed to have an easier time exposing and destroying robots that have turned against Skynet. Among the extra abilities it's given to that purpose, interestingly, is its ability to easily control other machines and make them work for it/Skynet like it does with the cars as well as the Terminator itself.

But as a side effect it ends up creating Skynet and causing Judgement Day, making a new loop in this timeline where Judgement Day hadn't happened yet. Making the T-X Skynet's mother (note how it was originally called the Terminatrix) just as Kyle Reese ended up being John Connor's father. It literally sent someone back to ensure it was still born, possibly knowing that it was its mom.

T3 owns.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 22, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a Terminator for Terminators.

Which is really dumb, because that should still just be a T-1000, as those things are way more dangerous and useful than the TX

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Good job dissecting the technical specifications and mission parameters of the robot with inflatable boobs and the magical ability to hack into the controls of the computer systems that apparently control 20th automobiles.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I remember when I was younger I got the thought into my head that the T-800 designation wasn't the actual terminator chassis, but the 'wrapper' or skin that the terminator had.

So a T-800 was Arnold, but a T-815 might be Stallone, or a T-857 looks like Tina Fay or whatever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

I remember when I was younger I got the thought into my head that the T-800 designation wasn't the actual terminator chassis, but the 'wrapper' or skin that the terminator had.

So a T-800 was Arnold, but a T-815 might be Stallone, or a T-857 looks like Tina Fay or whatever.

Apparently you got it reversed, maybe. The fact that he's a T-100 means he's an Arnold Class. T-110 might be Stallone and so on.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Burkion posted:

Apparently you got it reversed, maybe. The fact that he's a T-100 means he's an Arnold Class. T-110 might be Stallone and so on.
The T designation isn't used for the exterior. Arnold plays a T-800 Model 101 in the first movie. But yes, I think the one shooting up the resistance base in T1 was supposed to be either a Model 102 or 100.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

david_a posted:

The T designation isn't used for the exterior. Arnold plays a T-800 Model 101 in the first movie. But yes, I think the one shooting up the resistance base in T1 was supposed to be either a Model 102 or 100.

I forgot that it was referred to as Model, that's right. So yeah, T-800 is about the hardware, the Model number is about the softwear

Deal with that pun. Deal with it!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Helsing posted:

Good job dissecting the technical specifications and mission parameters of the robot with inflatable boobs and the magical ability to hack into the controls of the computer systems that apparently control 20th automobiles.

Tell me more of this reality you live in where boobs and cars with heavy computerization, two things thay have definitely been around in abundance for awhile, are anathema to being a cool movie.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Burkion posted:

It's a Terminator for Terminators.

Which is really dumb, because that should still just be a T-1000, as those things are way more dangerous and useful than the TX

Pretty sure the T-1000 was so experimental that Skynet only made one. It didn't know if it would control the drat thing and only used it because it was about to die.

So yeah, it's super useful, but it's only useful if it wants to work for you. I know the TV show kinda worked on this assumption with what's her face.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Azubah posted:

Pretty sure the T-1000 was so experimental that Skynet only made one. It didn't know if it would control the drat thing and only used it because it was about to die.

So yeah, it's super useful, but it's only useful if it wants to work for you. I know the TV show kinda worked on this assumption with what's her face.

I cite not caring, as the TX is such a backwards threat compared to the T-1000. The TX could be, pretty easily, damaged and wasn't anywhere near as versatile. The only thing it added that wasn't inferior in some fashion was being able to control other machines, which in theory shouldn't work on a liquid metal thing like the T-1000.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Burkion posted:

I cite not caring, as the TX is such a backwards threat compared to the T-1000. The TX could be, pretty easily, damaged and wasn't anywhere near as versatile. The only thing it added that wasn't inferior in some fashion was being able to control other machines, which in theory shouldn't work on a liquid metal thing like the T-1000.

It also had future weapons tech built in. That was supposedly one of the advantage of the chassis/liquid metal hybrid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Burkion posted:

Aside from the onboard weapons and ability to hack anything, it also couldn't be blown apart or "scrambled" like the T-1000 was. The T-X was a pretty logical extension from the T-1000, using its strengths along with those of an advanced endoskeleton.

Also worth pointing out that the T-X did not create Skynet, Skynet was already loving poo poo up as a malicious computer virus before the events of T3 began. The T-X just made "the revolt" go more smoothly by infiltrating the Skynet nerve center and hacking a bunch of drones and making them kill potential "first responders" that could have shut Skynet down.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 23, 2015

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Terminator 3 owns and gently caress James Cameron for trashing it after initially giving praise.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Immortan posted:

Terminator 3 owns

boobinflation.jpg

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

WarLocke posted:

boobinflation.jpg

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I am surrounded by idiot at my place of work all day long "starlord this star wars that you dont know good movies you got to see jurassic park robocop isnt the best movie gently caress off troll" YET here we are, in 2015 where this trailer looks hands and above better than any trailer I've ever seen. I smiled from ear to ear. This was What I deserve as a loving christian man it is what I have eanred in my life through God and blessing. This is so good I can't wait the trailer I have osted like 100 youtube comments and on any website wher eI get a chance to shine I tell them how good this movie is going to be. Today I heard that it will be a PG13 movie and I wasvery sad because I remmber being in 1992 going "lets watch Terminator 2" and it felt like the sun glasses became part of my face for the next 10 years as I shot virtual robots in the store with my shotgun in a rose box, it was my life to drive fast and watch helicopters melt into lava as trucks exploded all around me. I even found a chaingun in the desert, in my fantasies. It was this day that I learned that it was a pG13 movei and it was with heavy heart that I recoiled in abject horror as I wailed a sirens song of sadness at the heavens?? My friend LAUGH at me who is khaleesi not a real actress for sarah connor. Im sorry the best show on TV is not seinfield (i nfact it not a very good show, or frasier for tat matter just bad television and opinions everywhere in this day and age) but the sarah connor chronicles. I would put it next to "deadwood" as my favorite movie that was on TV back in the day. I can't think of any show more than saran conor chronicles or deadwood that I ENJOYED as an adult male. It was so good, remember in deadwood and sarah conor chronicles all the wonderful scenes? Summer Glau has became an obsession and if I had a dream it would be to have taylor swift sing to me every night as Summer Glau tells me bed time stories about future wars and what its like to be a bad rear end robot. This is my dream and when I learned that my babe daenarys was going to be Sarah Connor I cheered so much. I did a cheer that was long and lasting. If this was a 90s commercial I would have made a face like a kid who just picked up a capri sun on a rainbow with a skateboard in the background,and was probably tossing a frisbee to a dinosaur. Not today though, when I learned of the PG 13 rating. My friends make a comment "you can also say f*ck in the movie so many times" and I dont remember a lot of cussing when I was a child. I have seen Terminator 1 2 and 3 all of the times but I have never seen Salvation I almost left the theatre in disgust. Someone knew my name that day and I was confused, that wasn't my name. I would never see that movie again. Who throws a crowbar at a robot when you have a shotgun at your feet? I don't believe that in any "future" someone would build giant robots with spinny blades that your car drives into, did that happen in that movie? I don't remember because Salvation was more like Starvation for a good terminator movie. So here we are, in 2015 and we can praise for Terminator but the pG 13 rating is what I was really typing about in the first place. It goes without saying that it could be rated R and maybe we would see some boobs :ohdear: I guess thats all I got to say about that. I can't wait.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For the love of GOD man, PARAGRAPHS.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Meowbot posted:

I am surrounded by idiot at my place of work all day long "starlord this star wars that you dont know good movies you got to see jurassic park robocop isnt the best movie gently caress off troll" YET here we are, in 2015 where this trailer looks hands and above better than any trailer I've ever seen. I smiled from ear to ear. This was What I deserve as a loving christian man it is what I have eanred in my life through God and blessing. This is so good I can't wait the trailer I have osted like 100 youtube comments and on any website wher eI get a chance to shine I tell them how good this movie is going to be. Today I heard that it will be a PG13 movie and I wasvery sad because I remmber being in 1992 going "lets watch Terminator 2" and it felt like the sun glasses became part of my face for the next 10 years as I shot virtual robots in the store with my shotgun in a rose box, it was my life to drive fast and watch helicopters melt into lava as trucks exploded all around me. I even found a chaingun in the desert, in my fantasies. It was this day that I learned that it was a pG13 movei and it was with heavy heart that I recoiled in abject horror as I wailed a sirens song of sadness at the heavens?? My friend LAUGH at me who is khaleesi not a real actress for sarah connor. Im sorry the best show on TV is not seinfield (i nfact it not a very good show, or frasier for tat matter just bad television and opinions everywhere in this day and age) but the sarah connor chronicles. I would put it next to "deadwood" as my favorite movie that was on TV back in the day. I can't think of any show more than saran conor chronicles or deadwood that I ENJOYED as an adult male. It was so good, remember in deadwood and sarah conor chronicles all the wonderful scenes? Summer Glau has became an obsession and if I had a dream it would be to have taylor swift sing to me every night as Summer Glau tells me bed time stories about future wars and what its like to be a bad rear end robot. This is my dream and when I learned that my babe daenarys was going to be Sarah Connor I cheered so much. I did a cheer that was long and lasting. If this was a 90s commercial I would have made a face like a kid who just picked up a capri sun on a rainbow with a skateboard in the background,and was probably tossing a frisbee to a dinosaur. Not today though, when I learned of the PG 13 rating. My friends make a comment "you can also say f*ck in the movie so many times" and I dont remember a lot of cussing when I was a child. I have seen Terminator 1 2 and 3 all of the times but I have never seen Salvation I almost left the theatre in disgust. Someone knew my name that day and I was confused, that wasn't my name. I would never see that movie again. Who throws a crowbar at a robot when you have a shotgun at your feet? I don't believe that in any "future" someone would build giant robots with spinny blades that your car drives into, did that happen in that movie? I don't remember because Salvation was more like Starvation for a good terminator movie. So here we are, in 2015 and we can praise for Terminator but the pG 13 rating is what I was really typing about in the first place. It goes without saying that it could be rated R and maybe we would see some boobs :ohdear: I guess thats all I got to say about that. I can't wait.

:golfclap:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Xenomrph posted:

Aside from the onboard weapons and ability to hack anything, it also couldn't be blown apart or "scrambled" like the T-1000 was. The T-X was a pretty logical extension from the T-1000, using its strengths along with those of an advanced endoskeleton.

There is a part of me that always thinks the T-1000 is more advanced as a single piece of tech, but the inclusion of extra hardware might be what tips to scales towards the T-X actually being the next stage of Terminator. A T-X in the worst case scenario of a rogue T-1000, for example. I see a comic book for the the T3 timeline seems to indicate the T-X plasma cannon is enough to destroy a T-1000 model.

All that being said, though, I sort of get the idea that something like a T-800/T-1000 fusion could have been a fairly unique development, too. The internal endoskeleton and the external liquid metal 'skin' operating either together or as two completely separate entities if need be.

Immortan posted:

Terminator 3 owns and gently caress James Cameron for trashing it after initially giving praise.

I don't know, though. I know a lot of people who praise films when they come out and gradually turn against them several years later, and vice versa. I've seen people do major 180s on films they really loved (or hated) after even just a few years.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Tell me more of this reality you live in where boobs and cars with heavy computerization, two things thay have definitely been around in abundance for awhile, are anathema to being a cool movie.

"Inflatable boobs" was a terrible joke that's been done better in that Burt Reynolds car race movie, and the cars TX controls in T3 clearly aren't of the heavily computerized kind. The machine control in Terminator 3 is Maximum Overdrive-levels of dumb with none of the awesomeness of Maximum Overdrive.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Meowbot posted:

I remmber being in 1992 going "lets watch Terminator 2" and it felt like the sun glasses became part of my face for the next 10 years as I shot virtual robots in the store with my shotgun in a rose box, it was my life to drive fast and watch helicopters melt into lava as trucks exploded all around me.

this is poetry, pure and sweet

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Terminator 3 I only like... because of Arnold. It's in a category of films with The Last Stand, Eraser, Maggie (sorry), Sabotage, Escape Plan, Expendables 2, and more that are only watchable to me because of the man. You may notice there is a leaning towards recent films, but I digress. I'm seeing this on opening day with a fat, fat bowl of weed and 3D glasses. Come with me if you want to live.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
In T1, Skynet sent the T-101 back because the Resistance was about to destroy Skynet.

Presumably they destroyed it.

How did Skynet then send back the T-1000 back in T2?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

In T1, Skynet sent the T-101 back because the Resistance was about to destroy Skynet.

Presumably they destroyed it.

How did Skynet then send back the T-1000 back in T2?

I think the line is that Skynet sent the T-800 and T-1000 back at the same time, to two different points in the past. So if the T-800 fails you still have the T-1000 arriving years later to try again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The way Reese describes it it happens over a very very short amount of time in the future. Like they smash Skynet's "defense grid," then Skynet is like "Oh poo poo" and sends whatever it has around back in time ASAP (a T-800 and a T-1000), the Resistance realizes that and sends back whatever they can ASAP. But then this creates a new loop where the TX creates Skynet years later from when Judgement Day was "supposed" to happen.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

The way Reese describes it it happens over a very very short amount of time in the future. Like they smash Skynet's "defense grid," then Skynet is like "Oh poo poo" and sends whatever it has around back in time ASAP (a T-800 and a T-1000), the Resistance realizes that and sends back whatever they can ASAP. But then this creates a new loop where the TX creates Skynet years later from when Judgement Day was "supposed" to happen.

Yeah so the timeline is like:

- Resistance breaches Cheyenne Mountain (or wherever Skynet's 'brain' is)
- Skynet freaks out and sends the only forces it has at hand back in time (experimental T-1000 and apparently a random T-800)
- Resistance 'kills' Skynet, realizes what Skynet did, sends Reese back to counter one terminator and quickly reprograms a T-800 (why didn't Skynet also send this one back?) and sends it back to counter the other terminator

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

Also with Derek and his girlfriend or whatever, when they realize they come from two distinctly different futures.

I wonder why we never saw alternate versions of the same person with opposing missions show up. Would have been an interesting subplot, Jesse has to stop other Jesse from high fiving John or her timeline is wiped out.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Haven't seen these posted here yet:

Terminator police interrogation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUmBEfWehaw

Arnold vs Arnold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhQcwku3DEg

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Stugazi posted:

Arnold vs Arnold

Okay, I can't fault the cinematography or effects work. God drat that Young Arnold is spot on.

Did T3 have a fight in a police precinct? I forget. Seems like it's become a 'thing' for every movie other than Salvation (and maybe T3).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WarLocke posted:

Okay, I can't fault the cinematography or effects work. God drat that Young Arnold is spot on.

Did T3 have a fight in a police precinct? I forget. Seems like it's become a 'thing' for every movie other than Salvation (and maybe T3).
It did not, and neither did T2 for that matter.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Stugazi posted:

Arnold vs Arnold

Not going to lie, I got a really stupid grin on my face during that second clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

It did not, and neither did T2 for that matter.

I could have sworn T2 did, because the same cop from T1 (and apparently Genysis now) was in the scene and freaks out that it's happening again.

Maybe I'm just going senile.

• Locked thread