Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Other Heroes show up in the Dragon Quest Heroes aside from the ones shown in the trailer, correct?

Don't get me wrong, they could have just given me Yangus and I'd be pleased as punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're underleveled for the fight so unless your gear's really nice (doubtful) you're fighting an uphill battle.

Guhh. I spent forever grinding metal slimes outside Alltrades, too..

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Guhh. I spent forever grinding metal slimes outside Alltrades, too..

Go elsewhere. The world is extremely open and includes areas better suited to your level, and you'll get stronger from exploring than you will from grinding. It's not a linear game; there are next to no plot gates.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

So it's not actually out yet, but Dragon Quest VI has a page on the Google Play Store now! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq6

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here's 11 minutes of Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS.

https://youtu.be/rhJGalo9tqk

You’ll find the footage at the following time stamps:

5:05 – 9:16
9:45 – 11:57
12:58 – 14:36
15:00 – 15:35
16:04 – 16:22
18:12 – 18:32

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Finally got my King Cureslime! :henget::feelsgood::effortless::hellyeah::iia::rms:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skeezy posted:

Here's 11 minutes of Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS.

https://youtu.be/rhJGalo9tqk

You’ll find the footage at the following time stamps:

5:05 – 9:16
9:45 – 11:57
12:58 – 14:36
15:00 – 15:35
16:04 – 16:22
18:12 – 18:32

Highlighted new features:
1.) Voice acting (for the first time in a main series DQ title)
2.) New party members
3.) New scenarios and or events
4.) Soundtrack by Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra (東京都交響楽団)
5.) Street Pass implementation of some sort.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wendell posted:

So it's not actually out yet, but Dragon Quest VI has a page on the Google Play Store now! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq6

This is the version that was out on the DS right? If so how is it? I played the SFC version thoroughly and the only thing I recall hearing about the DS version is that Mudo wasn't a complete and utter bullshit fight.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

4.) Soundtrack by Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra

My one weakness. :negative: Better dust off my 3DS, it's going to get some mileage again.

I love orchestral pieces. I was listening to my local classical radio station last weekend and they played Fear of the Heavens from Secret of Mana which was by far my favorite growing up.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 12, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I kinda wonder why the didn't port DQ9 instead - it could use real streetpass instead of ghetto DS tag mode, I guess they could add online multiplayer or something and it might actually look better on 3DS instead of worse.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I kinda wonder why the didn't port DQ9 instead - it could use real streetpass instead of ghetto DS tag mode, I guess they could add online multiplayer or something and it might actually look better on 3DS instead of worse.

Probably because you can already play DQ9 on a 3DS

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

My one weakness. :negative: Better dust off my 3DS, it's going to get some mileage again.

I love orchestral pieces. I was listening to my local classical radio station last weekend and they played Fear of the Heavens from Secret of Mana which was by far my favorite growing up.

What station is this because mine doesn't play game tunes and I listen every night to go to sleep.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Skeezy posted:

What station is this because mine doesn't play game tunes and I listen every night to go to sleep.

It's Texas Public Radio. It seems like a once in a blue moon kind of thing, but every so often I would hear Final Fantasy, Zelda and once even DQ's intro.

Zelda happened because "The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses" was at the downtown theater. Everything else was a surprise.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I know that this isn't the Zelda thread but that Symphony show is really good and if anyone ever has a chance to go do it.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Marcello's VA reminded me of Seto Kaiba for some reason. I still prefer Josh Cohen.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

BabyRyoga posted:

1.) Voice acting (for the first time in a main series DQ title)

There was already Voice acting in the Original PS2 version of VIII

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there wasn't in the JP version. That trailer is japanese. So the voice acting is a new feature for the japanese audience.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Has anyone played Dragon Quest Heroes? If so, is it any good?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's a Dynasty Warriors game, so if you don't like those, you won't like Heroes. With that said, the rest of it is extremely well crafted and engaging. The magic system is fun, the weapons all show up individually based on what you equip, and the graphics in general are beautiful. The game is also very fluid and responsive in general, I found.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hokuto posted:

It's a Dynasty Warriors game, so if you don't like those, you won't like Heroes. With that said, the rest of it is extremely well crafted and engaging. The magic system is fun, the weapons all show up individually based on what you equip, and the graphics in general are beautiful. The game is also very fluid and responsive in general, I found.

I'm mostly wondering about the weapon variety. How does it measure up to, say, Hyrule Warriors?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm mostly wondering about the weapon variety. How does it measure up to, say, Hyrule Warriors?

Sorry, I haven't played Hyrule Warriors so I can't compare, but -

Each character has a defined weapon type. Sword, whip, staff, fist, spear, axe, bow, and boomerang are the main ones I recall offhand. The ones that become available progressively in stores tend to be straight upgrades over the previous episode's weapon selection.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there any reason to play the NES or GBC versions of DQ1-3 over the SNES versions?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

A nostalgic 8-bit feeling is the only thing that comes to mind. In my opinion the snes version is more fun because of the visuals and the battle animation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

3 GBC is a bit faster than SNES. I think the mobile versions are currently definitive, however.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

SNES versions, hands down.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
3 GBC has the second bonus dungeon, which the SNES version doesn't, but it's a huge grind to get to and not really worth it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's rare that someone can safely claim a remake on another system is strictly superior in every way, but in Dragon Quest's case, it's a legit claim.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Alright, thanks. I actually wasn't even aware there were mobile versions, but I don't have a tablet so I'd be playing it on a tiny phone and either way I really hate trying to use touch pad approximations of d-pads.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

3 GBC has the second bonus dungeon, which the SNES version doesn't, but it's a huge grind to get to and not really worth it.

Lord the monster medal drop rates are just the worst thing :suicide:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I have no idea what that is and I'm glad I'm not familiar with it if drop rates are involved.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I have no idea what that is and I'm glad I'm not familiar with it if drop rates are involved.

They were a thing in the GBC remake of 3. Sometimes you would find a monster medal for one of the monsters you fought. There was a second bonus dungeon that was entirely about collecting the drat things. It was terrible.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, they're bringing over Dragon Quest Monsters Light for iOS/Android in two weeks!
Seems they're cool with bringing over DQ games... as long as it's incredibly easy and on mobile.

They're doing a little "pre-registration" thing over here:
http://dqmsl.garena.com/preregistration/?l=en

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, they're bringing over Dragon Quest Monsters Light for iOS/Android in two weeks!
Seems they're cool with bringing over DQ games... as long as it's incredibly easy and on mobile.

They're doing a little "pre-registration" thing over here:
http://dqmsl.garena.com/preregistration/?l=en

Done. Got me a :black101: Wax Murderer :black101: as a starter. Don't care about min/maxing (F class starter), just want to play.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
You have to be in Asia to use that page? It asks for a mobile number but only has the country code for a bunch of Asian countries.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I just used an email and my gaming/spam facebook account. Worked just fine.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Worked for me, seemed country code was irrelevant.

I got an Armoured Wartoise.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So it looks like Square Enix sent a DQ7 3DS fan translation a cease and desist. So it could mean something but probably not.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Skeezy posted:

So it looks like Square Enix sent a DQ7 3DS fan translation a cease and desist. So it could mean something but probably not.

I sadly agree with you. As much as I would like to think that this signals a desire to optimize sales for an impending western release of 7, it is just as likely if not more likely them just being arseholes.

Edit: "sales" and "sails" are not the same thing, despite identical pronounciations.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 23, 2015

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

S-E usually isn't in the business of going after translation projects just for the hell of it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Brother Entropy posted:

S-E usually isn't in the business of going after translation projects just for the hell of it, though.

I dunno, they tore down that Chrono Trigger remake just for funsies. Unless you count a DS port of Chrono Trigger to be competition to that fan project. I know I didn't.