Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

That last panel :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Endless Mike posted:

No, and in fact, right-hand traffic in Europe is specifically associated with France and Napoleon.

I might be wrong, but isn't left hand traffic exclusive to Great Britain & it's colonies?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Nevets posted:

I might be wrong, but isn't left hand traffic exclusive to Great Britain & it's colonies?

Mostly. You will be surprised to find how fascinating this is.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nevets posted:

You calling Japan and Sweden British colonies? :crossarms: Sweden is notable because they switched from left to right side traffic as late as 1967 - and this being Sweden in the 1960s they had a very Swedish public awareness campaign for it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I remember reading about that surgery, and scalpels with meticulously-carved obsidian blades aren't exactly stone handaxes, Ripley. I'm starting to wonder if all your facts are just bombastically embellished half-truths. Oh, whatever, You're Not Listening Anyway Comix.

I believe we are supposed to infer an Eyes Wide Shut montage in that second-to-last panel.

Ballard Street

That's not so weird, Donny. I once called my pet ferret a scurrilous wretch and bade him away and see my face no more after the little fucker dug up the ficus.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Presumably, however, she did get an anaesthetic.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

That line about "the color of your livers" - there was an old belief that the liver was the source of courage. If your liver was dark and bloody, you were very brave... but if you were a coward, your liver would be pale like a lily. Thus, 'lily-livered'.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Parahexavoctal posted:

That line about "the color of your livers" - there was an old belief that the liver was the source of courage. If your liver was dark and bloody, you were very brave... but if you were a coward, your liver would be pale like a lily. Thus, 'lily-livered'.

If Jonathan had gotten his hands on them, presumably he would have punched them repeatedly in their livers before ripping the organs out to make sure of things.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RandomFerret posted:

I remember reading about that surgery, and scalpels with meticulously-carved obsidian blades aren't exactly stone handaxes, Ripley. I'm starting to wonder if all your facts are just bombastically embellished half-truths.

Believe it or not. :colbert:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Edminster posted:

Believe it or not. :colbert:

We've been to the Ripley Museum in Niagara Falls, and I believe it. All of it. :razz:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix reveals the truth.

Sometimes I really really like these. This is one of those times.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Presumably, however, she did get an anaesthetic.
That's a dude. Believe it, or not!

F Minus

Mary Worth

These two belong together.

Rex Morgan MD

You know, I've completely forgotten how this all is really supposed to be about some museum. I think the cover story was something like having some little girl no one knows or cares about paint there and have her works displayed is supposed to promote the museum and make people want to visit, but really they just did this to keep this old woman's donations rolling in.

Secret Agent X-9

I see the professor is in his comfortable loungewear for around the house.

Also, Comics Kingdom has started running Thimble Theater, which I think was part of that contest and lost to SAX9 but I guess they said "gently caress it that contest was bullshit marketing hype anyways we're running the vast supply of material we have featuring one of our most recognizable properties who the hell is this Secret Agent X-0 anyways and how in the world did that win?" I think they just started because according to the site this is from Jan. 1, 1929. That is 10 years into the run, but only 16 days before Popeye makes his first appearance on the 17th, so I will probably try to keep up with this one for a while, at least until Popeye shows up, unless someone else (like EasyEW maybe) wants to take it on, which by the way would be more than ok by me.

Thimble Theater

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

What's Joe Pesci doing in this comic? And in a wig no less!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Johnny Walker posted:

Also, Comics Kingdom has started running Thimble Theater, which I think was part of that contest and lost to SAX9 but I guess they said "gently caress it that contest was bullshit marketing hype anyways we're running the vast supply of material we have featuring one of our most recognizable properties who the hell is this Secret Agent X-0 anyways and how in the world did that win?"
<snip>
I will probably try to keep up with this one for a while, at least until Popeye shows up, unless someone else (like EasyEW maybe) wants to take it on, which by the way would be more than ok by me.

It's worth a thought, even if it's not exactly in the freebie zone. :unsmith:

Skippy (April 23, 1928)

Peanuts (June 25, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire meets his family in the strangest places.

Out Our Way is hard on the corns today. (May 23-24, 1927)

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Also, Comics Kingdom has started running Thimble Theater, which I think was part of that contest and lost to SAX9 but I guess they said "gently caress it that contest was bullshit marketing hype anyways we're running the vast supply of material we have featuring one of our most recognizable properties who the hell is this Secret Agent X-0 anyways and how in the world did that win?"

The best possible outcome! :haw:

The Amazing Stan Lee

I have a number of emotions, but I cannot define nor express them.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

In the latest episode, Eve dates a Goon.

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

holy poo poo its' stan lee

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SynthOrange posted:

holy poo poo its' stan lee

Well, it's hardly the first time he's written himself into his own comic. Ever read Nightcat?

Protip: Don't read Nightcat.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Deep Dark Fears

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, it's hardly the first time he's written himself into his own comic. Ever read Nightcat?

Oh wow this is fascinating. They created a rock star/superhero character and hired an actress to play her in real life, even going to far as to record an album and have her appear on talk shows. And Into the Night with Rick Dees of all shows!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I sincerely forgot what the Grumbel's uniform looked like before this polo shirt storyline.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

I instantly recognize you as a hitman, so I'm going to put you within knife-fighting range of my ward. Inspector Danger: Competent Cop

E: I need to kill a man, so I'm going to use a cover profession I have not seen in the wild for nearly 25 years or more, and is in fact so rare that I didn't notice its literal total absence for 5 years. Hitman: Good At Things

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 23, 2015

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Stan Lee

I have a number of emotions, but I cannot define nor express them.

I am just gushing over the meta-ness of this cameo. Stan Lee is making a cameo to make a cameo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

While he's writing the comic. :psyduck:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*camera pulls back, revealing that the person reading the comic, you, is in fact Stan Lee*

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ensign_Ricky posted:

In The Fantastic Four #10 Doctor Doom uses Stan Lee and Jack Kirby as bait for a trap, because Marvel Comics itself exists inside the Marvel Universe, and they publish semi-fictionalised accounts of the real-life adventures of the Fantastic Four.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pastis, don't put yourself in the last panel when you make a pun right before it; it's--wait, what?

Pros & Cons

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

This is dumb.

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Good point.

Kliban's Cats

:stare:

9 Chickweed Lane 6/23/2004

The return of static dog. I wonder what the hell color he's going for with that, anyway.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I thought it was illegal to kill predators?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I can't imagine how much a sharkskin suit would chafe and catch on itself.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Good point.

http://www.johnjosephadams.com/robot-army/free-reads/for-entertainment-purposes-only-jeremiah-tolbert/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sacTeases us with Camp again.

Poptropica is a different kind of camp.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is dealing with pollen season.

Working Daze gets political.

Thanks for explaining, dude.

Super-Fun-Fak-Comix is better than staring at the wall.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Something to read while pissing? Bob has some sort of urinary tract problem and should see his doctor.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

I thought it was illegal to kill predators?

I think it's more that it's illegal to kill anyone you don't intend to eat. We've had predators killing and eating other predators before; the only time killing has been portrayed as wrong is when the rabbits started killing predators.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

It looks like Funky has some competition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That groundsman is very good at whistling.

• Locked thread