Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Man.

I don't like these changes.

I don't like new things.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Pakled posted:

I can understand advisors costing exponentially more as they get higher-level, but nobody's ever going to hire a level 3 advisor in 1500, so why should they even appear then? Something like making advisor bonuses more granular and having development in the province they come from alter their skill level/bonuses might be good. So at the beginning of the game, you only end up with advisors that are the equivalent of level 1 and by the end your development should be high enough in at least some provinces to produce top-quality advisors.

starting price for a level 3 isn't that much for a medium-big country. i've taken them a bunch of times.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Jabarto posted:

Wiz is posting some interesting things about the upcoming patch on the Paradox forums:

Source: Is there any reason to build a higher tier fort than 1?

Source: +5 cost per development needs to go.

They both sound like really good changes to me.

The lack of army tradition and high development costs were the only two things that I didn't like about the common sense patch, this is great!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If I'm playing Castille and have a female ruler and the Iberian Wedding fires, I'm the one who gets hosed, right?

ed

LOL

Immediately after posting this I spawned Castillian Civil War but don't seem to have gotten any benefit from choosing the male heir.

Nah it the gender assignment doesn't matter, the only way the Iberian Wedding works is with Castile as overlord and Aragon as junior partner. For it to trigger, you need the rulers to be a male/female pair and which is which isn't relevant

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Nah it the gender assignment doesn't matter, the only way the Iberian Wedding works is with Castile as overlord and Aragon as junior partner. For it to trigger, you need the rulers to be a male/female pair and which is which isn't relevant

Which makes sense since, you know, historically Castille had the Queen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PittTheElder posted:

Just take Royal Prussia from them before you vassalize them.

Yeah I was able to diplo-annex them eventually but lost my PU with Lithuania when Kazimierz the Latest decided it would be great to drop dead a day after the final climactic war... where Lithuania was mad that I didn't give them a piece of the Teutonic Order and at -5 relations. Whoops. :saddowns:

I wish I could support Lithuania's claimant in the Sejm over the Polish one so that I can put one of them on the throne and be able to claim their throne eventually.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 23, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If I declare war on a member of the HRE and the emperor joins the war, will his religious league members join in on it as well if the nation I'm originally declaring war on isn't part of said league? I'm assuming they won't join, but I want to double-check before I start a war with literally all of Europe.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Another Person posted:

Think I just found a bug.

Building something on a province looks like it costs more on the province building page compared to the building window. A textile manufactory costs me 412 through the building window, but going through the province to build costs me about 490.

I had that through my entire Italy game. I had no inflation. I assumed it was some new mechanic that I'd missed (I don't have Common Sense yet, but I have the patches).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
e: i'm dumb

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
huh, I really did not expect this to work

alley oop

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

PleasingFungus posted:

huh, I really did not expect this to work

alley oop

How much easier is Albania, since they no longer start at war with the Ottomans?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Node posted:

huh? A lot of nations do that. Build up your relations with them and it'll lower their liberty desire. How on earth is that a game ender?

No, like, that specific combination of nations has a modifier to their vassal/overlord relationship that adds an additional permanent +50% liberty desire that will never erode over time (at least, it didn't pre-CS). France and Burgundy have the same thing going on, and I think there's a few others.

I don't necessarily dislike the mechanic but I hate that it's completely undocumented. You have no way of knowing it exists until you vassalize that one specific country.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Seeing that screenshot reminds me: the AI papacy is crazy as gently caress now, in one game they annexed about 80% of Naples before 1450 :gonk:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

firestruck posted:

How much easier is Albania, since they no longer start at war with the Ottomans?

Probably "nearly infinitely" as compared to the El Dorado access-sharing.... problems.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bort Bortles posted:

Has anything changed in the past couple months regarding revoking cores? If I conquer Kosovo (the gold province) from Serbia in one war, then go to war with them later, can I get Serbia to revoke its core on Kosovo? I want to do this so I can release Serbia as a vassal to hold on to all of that lovely Serbian land.

Then again I may just go admin for the extra -25% coring cost discount and conquer everything. I'm just worried that without humanist I will not have that many accepted cultures and my empire will be large but weak and have terrible religious unity.

Serbia is the primary tag for Serbian culture. Kosovo has Serbian culture. You can't force the main tag for a culture to revoke their core on a province of that same culture. So no, you can't do that. (If it was Bosnia, however, you could.) Your best bet would be to force vassalize instead of annexing them, I guess. You can do that in the same war as taking Kosovo I think?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, this Baltic Crusader game was looking real good. I joined HRE, and then force-vassal'd Pomerania immediately in like 1448. Then I vassalized LO, annexed riga and sold them to LO. I had to take a lot of loans to fight them because LO and Riga are rich and just kinda stockpile money all game. Luckily I had an alliance with Bohemia and Austria, because Poland and Lithuania separately declared on me, then got their rear end loving wrecked. Lithuania decided to start an offensive war while already in a defensive war with Crimea, which is kind of hilarious. I lost maybe 2k manpower in these wars and managed to snipe all of my claimed provinces.

I love when the game gives you a really bleak situation and suddenly it just flips into the best possible outcome.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is Riga a kingdom-level theocracy, while its neighboring monastic orders are only duchy-leveled?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You know, I understand that advisors are randomized because being able to pick specific bonuses would be pretty OP, and being able to dismiss unhired ones to get a new one is a great feature, but holy crap is it frustrating to fire a level 2 Spy Offense guy, get another level 2 Spy offense guy instead, then fire him and get a level 1 Spy offense guy, and then get another level 1 spy offense guy after that before finally getting something different. Like, come on game.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

I don't necessarily dislike the mechanic but I hate that it's completely undocumented. You have no way of knowing it exists until you vassalize that one specific country.

I'm pretty sure it's because the two nations are historical rivals, it explains this when you mouse over their total liberty desire. You can check that just by looking at your relations with them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is there a good tutorial or learning LP for this game? I did the in-game tutorial, but I'm still pretty lost. :negative:

VV: Yes, but what will I do when I'm NOT playing EUIV?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 23, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Serperoth posted:

Is there a good tutorial or learning LP for this game? I did the in-game tutorial, but I'm still pretty lost. :negative:
Take advantage of your good fortune and enjoy the most realistic portrayal of the challenges of a non-omniscient ruler you'll ever get in EU4. You'll learn the ropes in due time.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

50% administrative efficiency plus the 25% reduction in coring from administrative ideas is so good.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Shayu posted:

50% administrative efficiency plus the 25% reduction in coring from administrative ideas is so good.

Efficiency comes so late though, which makes Administrative ideas feel mandatory.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 23, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to get rid of the advisor death messages when it's not the hired ones who die? It's really annoying spam that doesn't serve any purpose at all. If you have 3 advisors you can tell it was an important one by the empty chair icon that shows up but if you can only afford one or two it's meaningless.

I forced my vassal Dai Viet to convert to Confucianism but they refuse to use missionaries to convert their provinces. I tag switched to them to check and all of their provinces are in the 20-30 months conversion range. They just won't use their missionary.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Poil posted:

I forced my vassal Dai Viet to convert to Confucianism but they refuse to use missionaries to convert their provinces. I tag switched to them to check and all of their provinces are in the 20-30 months conversion range. They just won't use their missionary.

Throw some money at them.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
How do you survive and expand as Theodoro?
Either I get eaten by my neighbours or Genoa is saved by the Austrian army marching all the way to the Crimea to kick my rear end, which is utter bullshit.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Why couldn't I release Naxos and Corfu as vassals? Their provinces were still Greek/Orthodox and had the cores on them, is Greek not their culture anymore?
I'm padding HRE with bunch of OPM princes to improve my imperial bonus and after taking the strip of land along Adriatic sea from Ottomans I was able to add Ragusa, Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Epirus, Morea, Achaea and Byzantium but not those two.

E:They're Lombard culture :doh:

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 23, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

GSD posted:

Why is Riga a kingdom-level theocracy, while its neighboring monastic orders are only duchy-leveled?

Historically wasn't Riga pretty big, it just lost its Territory over centuries to Novgorod and others. Would guess that is the reason.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Throw some money at them.
How in the world would that help? :confused:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

How in the world would that help? :confused:

Missionaries have an upkeep when in use, and the AI refrains from spending gold at the dumbest of times. I had the same problem with Finland in my TO game yesterday.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Missionaries have an upkeep when in use, and the AI refrains from spending gold at the dumbest of times. I had the same problem with Finland in my TO game yesterday.
Oh, thanks. They are sitting at +2 a month though. But I could throw them a buck I guess.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Elman posted:

Efficiency comes so late though, which makes Administrative ideas feel mandatory.

If you're going to blob it's probably a good thing to have or influence with its reduction to diplo-annexing.

Though, I think the new patch more historically models the situation inside Europe that influences them to explore and conquer. If Europe is so easy to conquer why would they bother to go exploring and conquer other continents?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ukle posted:

Historically wasn't Riga pretty big, it just lost its Territory over centuries to Novgorod and others. Would guess that is the reason.

More importantly, why isn't Semien independent? :colbert:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

Oh, thanks. They are sitting at +2 a month though. But I could throw them a buck I guess.

Maybe they're in debt? Or perhaps the AI just doesn't bother with converting provinces until they're below a certain month-requirement?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
WARNING: AI borders! Only click if you have a strong stomach!

http://i.imgur.com/S6LoBkS.jpg

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Kersch posted:

Eet's beeeautifuuul!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

GSD posted:

Better question: why are nations released in peace automatically kingdoms instead of duchies, especially small nations such as Croatia and Sicily? Makes no sense.

Kersch posted:

I went into that thinking "how can I actually be offended by borders" but I really do regret clicking on that link.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ukle posted:

It was one of the most important Baltic trading ports. It's a more important city than the Teutonic shitholes at this point in history.

Also famous for trying a statue of the Virgin Mary as a witch and torching it after it floated in a river.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Please tell me there's somewhere I can read more about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Riso posted:

How do you survive and expand as Theodoro?
Either I get eaten by my neighbours or Genoa is saved by the Austrian army marching all the way to the Crimea to kick my rear end, which is utter bullshit.

I got gothic invasion in the last version. It's pretty much impossible to just attack Genoa at the start because Austria thinks you're their highest priority for whatever reason. I thought that might change with the whole "distant war" thing they said they added but it doesn't sound like it. You either have to wait till Genoa loses all of their territory that's in the empire so you can attack them without Austria interfering or wait till Crimea goes to war with the Golden Horde and their ally the Timurids. I don't know if they still ally any more but they used to consistently.

They can't handle the Timurids and eventually they'll lose a battle and their shattered army might end up running to your border so be ready to attack as soon as Crimea looks weak. Keep an eye on their army size in the ledger. With the new forts system it may not even be possible to run around their territory clearing all their armies till they run out of manpower but it's the only way. It depends on how their forts are placed. Whenever Crimea started with a hostile stance to me I would just start over because usually that means they'll attack you really quickly. Sometimes they start off neutral and will just leave you alone. I had to start over probably around 100 times. Out of those 100 times I got 3 good starts that I stuck with past 5 years but maybe something with common sense changed so that it's less luck based.

There might even be some other way to go about it, like trying to run/migrate to another region but I never think like that so I don't know.

• Locked thread