Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Timmy Horsey posted:

Okay, after beating Living Flame i'm now at Knight / Mystic Knight / Bard. How's my team looking?

Strong. Knight covers defense (with bonus offense from Mystic Knight because their defense doesn't actually take any activity), Mystic Knight offense, Bard Support.

You'd be thoroughly set with a good healer, but you don't really need it much. Your only real downside is a complete lack of AoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Ok so my Chemist just did over 1k damage with a single Succubus Kiss to the Chimera.

This class is dumb and I love it.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

the Orb of Zot posted:

Ok so my Chemist just did over 1k damage with a single Succubus Kiss to the Chimera.

This class is dumb and I love it.

Succubus Kiss has something around 8 times the normal power of a regular Drain spell. It's quite absurd.

Just be careful not to cast it on undead enemies. You'll instantly off whoever mixed it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
All Berserkers team is level 35. I'm getting bored with grinding on Mini Dragons (though at least I can kill a fair number of them thanks to my four Flame Rings), so I think I'll take a break and go see how much damage I can do to Sandworm before he kills my team.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Got my first party wipe against Liquid Flame with three monks and a berserker. Next time gonna kill off the berk beforehand.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I got a death sickle on my first try and decided to stop playing for a few hours. just turned the game back on and got into another encounter, and got another death sickle. apologies to any people grinding for these things for their berserkers.

edit: a third

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Level 35 Zerkers trying to take on Sandworm... did not go all that well. I can deal about 500 damage a hit, but that 1/6 hit chance is loving brutal. Not helping is that the death proc on my sickles seems to activate on every single hit and draw a second Gravity.

I think I need more magic evade. Sadly, looks like all I can add is another 5% from Plumed Hats.

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013
First successful run of the season.

I'd never really used berserker before, so I was pleasantly surprised at how little of a burden they wound up being. Then again, I had a blue mage and a bard, too, so...

I kinda regret not joining the #chaos zerker bandwagon, but then again, grinding up to the mid 40's in order to beat sandworm didn't really appeal to me :v:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Ok Final chaos roll Red Mage/Berserker/Bard/Berserker

Since I got Zerker twice does that mean I have to have two zerkers at all times?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

Since I got Zerker twice does that mean I have to have two zerkers at all times?
Yes.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What would theoretically be the hardest run/conditions to do with do repeating final classes?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I cleaned out the burning castle thanks in no small part to the Titans' Aerogas there, a bunch of scaredy-dogs, and some good vamping. I was woefully unprepared for it and should've bought some items beforehand (mythril hammer was not a bad piece of last minute equipment there right before the ship). Team usability kinda just dropped, though; guess I'll be grinding in the near future!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

BabyRyoga posted:

What would theoretically be the hardest run/conditions to do with do repeating final classes?

Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon, I suppose.

Doom Goon posted:

I cleaned out the burning castle thanks in no small part to the Titans' Aerogas there, a bunch of scaredy-dogs, and some good vamping. I was woefully unprepared for it and should've bought some items beforehand (mythril hammer was not a bad piece of last minute equipment there right before the ship). Team usability kinda just dropped, though; guess I'll be grinding in the near future!

Not really. You see that Sandworm everyone else who has multiple berserkers is complaining about? You one shot him with Aqua Breath. Soul Cannon? Break a few thunder rods. Archaeoaevis? Living form, each phase gets 1 turned by 2 Blue Mages using Thousand Needles, Dead form is instakilled by level 5 death.

Even if your Earth Job turns out to be another Berserker, you're still more or less fine. Blue Mage is just that amazing.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Northan
Nov 6, 2011

Spear Spear Spear Spear
Spear Spear Spear Spear

So far so good, turns out black mage just kills everything before it can kill you. :smug:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So I'm trying to figure out a damage range for Berserkers at my current level (and figure out when I'd get my next multiplier or two). The algorithms FAQ lists an Attack modifier of ((Attack*3)/2) for Berserk status. Does this apply to just the status ailment Berserk, or the Berserk ability as well?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
And there's a Fartz! for the pile.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Thus does my second run (more or less) begin!

And my team...

Is Beastmaster/Beastmaster/Ranger/Dancer.

I AM STUCK WITH FREELANCER UNTIL FIRE CRYSTAL AGAIN

I should've just made a save file on my Freelancers just after unlocking each crystal.

On the plus side, Beastmaster is amazing. Sort of a way harder to work with (yet even more flexible version of Blue Mage). But fully half my team is exactly the same as my previous team.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Honestly surprised I didn't wind up with geomancer.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this question. Do you mean with fire/earth giving the same job, or just having two of the same job in general, or..

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bad Seafood posted:

Honestly surprised I didn't wind up with geomancer.

Same first three I got. Good luck!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Supremezero posted:

You have a Knight. Your team is anything but fragile.

Honestly, the only downside to this team is how redundant Chemist renders Bard.

Does Chemist have any multi-target mixes? I think Bard has some advantage in that all of their songs affect the entire party or all of the enemies. The fact that they don't cost anything is nice too.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
I knew I was crazy for doing a chaos berserker risk run.. and by the time I finished world 1, I ended up getting:

Berserker Berserker Bard Berserker

This will be quite a ride. I guess this makes up for my 750 run last year where I had both Blue Mage AND Chemist.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

NeoExdeath with 2 Red Mages, Chemist and Ranger was pretty easy. Once I got the Chicken Knife, Rapid Fire and farmed Turtle Shells it went pretty well. Dragon Powered Up my Ranger for Rapid Fire, then used Succubus Kiss to stomp NeoExdeath to the grave.

Not sure how to take down Omega and Shinryu with this group. No Bard or Beastmaster means no way to stop Omega, and my damage output isn't high enough to kill him fast (Chicken Knife+Rapid Fire only does 5K, then he counters and battle over). Shinryu I can Berserk/Blind, but even then he gets too many attacks in and I have no access to Blink, Golem or Guard. Am I forgetting something?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Krakhan posted:

I knew I was crazy for doing a chaos berserker risk run.. and by the time I finished world 1, I ended up getting:

Berserker Berserker Bard Berserker

This will be quite a ride. I guess this makes up for my 750 run last year where I had both Blue Mage AND Chemist.

I wonder how much damage 3 level 255 berserkers with max speed do.

Hah.

Hahahaha.

You can't even make your bard stop singing.

Mustard Iceman posted:

NeoExdeath with 2 Red Mages, Chemist and Ranger was pretty easy. Once I got the Chicken Knife, Rapid Fire and farmed Turtle Shells it went pretty well. Dragon Powered Up my Ranger for Rapid Fire, then used Succubus Kiss to stomp NeoExdeath to the grave.

Not sure how to take down Omega and Shinryu with this group. No Bard or Beastmaster means no way to stop Omega, and my damage output isn't high enough to kill him fast (Chicken Knife+Rapid Fire only does 5K, then he counters and battle over). Shinryu I can Berserk/Blind, but even then he gets too many attacks in and I have no access to Blink, Golem or Guard. Am I forgetting something?

Wonder Wand. Shinryu's harder, but you can probably kill him faster than he can kill you with some luck.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 23, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Sulla killed both of them with a solo Chemist. You can look up his runs to see how.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Level 40 Team Berserker has 10 deaths so far to Sandworm. If I hit a round 100, Imma head back and go to level 42, which if my math is right should get my Zerkers another Attack multiplier.

Seriously, this isn't looking good. I don't think I've hit more than twice per battle, and plenty of those that actually targeted Sandworm were whiffs.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chaotic Neutral posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this question. Do you mean with fire/earth giving the same job, or just having two of the same job in general, or..

Missed my typo. I meant to say, the hardest possible run/conditions with 4 unique, different classes. They could be from any crystal.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Missed my typo. I meant to say, the hardest possible run/conditions with 4 unique, different classes. They could be from any crystal.
Monk, geomancer, dragoon, berserker.

No healing. No damage. Just really lengthy dull battles.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Thief/Dragoon/Dancer/Red Mage, in that order.

You know it's a bad party when getting Monk would be an improvement.

Unfortunately, it's not Chaos legal - Red Mage would be shuffled forward. Thief/Geomancer/Dragoon/Dancer, however, is. It's a little better since Geo can help a lot on randoms, but until then..

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

ultrafilter posted:

Sulla killed both of them with a solo Chemist. You can look up his runs to see how.
Interesting stuff; have to gain another 12 levels and farm Dark Matter; maybe I'll get around to it this weekend.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Soul Cannon and Archeoavis are now dead, and my final class is Red Mage.

Monk / Knight / White Mage / Red Mage seems pretty good.... I can break rods erryday!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Attempt 21 of Level 40 Zerkers against Sandworm...

:toot:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Thief/Dragoon/Dancer/Red Mage, in that order.

You know it's a bad party when getting Monk would be an improvement.

Unfortunately, it's not Chaos legal - Red Mage would be shuffled forward. Thief/Geomancer/Dragoon/Dancer, however, is. It's a little better since Geo can help a lot on randoms, but until then..

I don't get the red Mage hate. Rod and staff breaking, healing staff, dual casting cura, and nearly every status effect. Sure it is still a middle of the road class, but it is by no means bad.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Alright, got my four Angel Rings. Let's see if I can tear down that last All-Berserker wall of Soul Cannon. TO WAR! :black101:

Edit: Down with relative ease, only taking one shot from the HP-halving cannons before the Zerkers brought them both down. Granted, Lenna was the one that took it and went down to the only Wave Cannon as a result, but the other three wiped it out in short order. I'm basically home free at this point! :toot:

Sadly, my work schedule for tomorrow beckons, so I need to be asleep. Tomorrow I get through world 1, and hopefully world 2!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 23, 2015

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Shwqa posted:

I don't get the red Mage hate. Rod and staff breaking, healing staff, dual casting cura, and nearly every status effect. Sure it is still a middle of the road class, but it is by no means bad.
They're pretty great up until mid-World 2. Then the fact that it has the lowest magic stat of rod-breaking classes sets in; by end game, most rod breaks do less than 1K to enemy groups and bosses. Confuse and Toad are pretty useful... Definitely more time-consuming, though. Definitely the 2nd-worst Water class.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Shwqa posted:

No damage, even their rod breaking is weak, and by the time you can dualcast Cura you're past the point where dualcast Cura was useful. Protect and raise are nice, and the status effects are kinda useful - but Black/White is the weakest and most inaccurate form of applying those status effects.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Sorry for garbage screenshot size, I lost my configuration from last year and I forgot to change the setting.

Blue Mage / Berserker / Berserker / Dragoon - Chaos / Berserker Risk

Buzzed through the whole game without any speed bumps along the way. Every berserker party roadblock along the way was trivialized by the blue mage. Dragoon just ended up being a blue mage in heavy armor. Overall it was a fun setup but not very difficult at all.

Could have done Shinryu with wonder wand but I didn't feel like going through the effort. I'm not sure if Omega is possible with this party, and I don't feel like finding out.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mirthless posted:

I'm not sure if Omega is possible with this party, and I don't feel like finding out.

Only if you're really, really patient and lucky, since your only non-Berserker source of damage would be Trident Jumps from your Dragoon, and I'm not sure that'll get past his defense.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
First run down!

I ended up with Monk/Samurai/Dancer/Dancer. Kinda boring honestly, going through world 1 with nothing but monk just wasn't very fun. Hopefully things are more interesting next run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

I have to say, Geomancer is not as bad as I expected, what with its Diamond Bell damage actually being decent.

• Locked thread