Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Pinball posted:

Hello! I hope you guys can help me out with issues I'm having with Morrowind. I've installed it on my PC and installed the current edition of MGO, and for whatever reason, the game won't run above 10 FPS in exteriors. I've done all of the tweaks in the OP, but the game is still basically unplayable. Here's the relevant PC specs:

GPU: MSI R9 270X 2G ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad Core
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (16 GB)

Is there anything I can do to make the game playable?

Do you have Morrowind FPS Optimizer installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

Do you have Morrowind FPS Optimizer installed?

No; I've tried installing it, but for whatever reason, when it launches and asks me to find Morrowind.exe, the executable doesn't show up as an option, only folders in the /SteamApps/common/Morrowind directory, which is where the executable also is.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Set Morrowind to run on single core, quads weren't even a thing back then. You should hit significant improvements.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

GuyUpNorth posted:

Set Morrowind to run on single core, quads weren't even a thing back then. You should hit significant improvements.

Tried this. For whatever reason, the system isn't saving the fact that I want Morrowind to run single-core. I start the game, go to the process manager, tick a single core, and try and go back to Morrowind, which instantly crashes. Even if I close the Morrowind process from within the process manager after setting the core affinity, next time I run Morrowind, it defaults to running on every core.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been playing Skyrim on the 360 and it's made me want to give Morrowind another go, but the game is pretty old and clunky. I want to install some mods to make it feel less like there's a bunch of 10 year old rpg design choices, but I'm a bit weary since modders tend to make terrible optimization decisions. Are there any mods that are lovely as gently caress laptop friendly? My desktop needs a new power supply so I'm stuck with a dying laptop that's prone to blue screens because the CPU is begging to be put out of its misery. Seriously, opening two YouTube vids is a good way to get a blue screen.

I know about the FPS optimizer. I'm just curious about anything else I might be able to use.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 19, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Pinball posted:

No; I've tried installing it, but for whatever reason, when it launches and asks me to find Morrowind.exe, the executable doesn't show up as an option, only folders in the /SteamApps/common/Morrowind directory, which is where the executable also is.

If you fix that, you'll fix your frame rate problem. Try setting the MW install folder as a different location using this guide.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Pinball posted:

Hello! I hope you guys can help me out with issues I'm having with Morrowind. I've installed it on my PC and installed the current edition of MGO, and for whatever reason, the game won't run above 10 FPS in exteriors. I've done all of the tweaks in the OP, but the game is still basically unplayable. Here's the relevant PC specs:

GPU: MSI R9 270X 2G ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad Core
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (16 GB)

Is there anything I can do to make the game playable?

I had the same problems, and what worked was this:

K8.0 posted:

gently caress the FPS optimizer, try running MGE XE, and running the exe optimizer (after the code patch) and see where that gets you. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some significant performance benefits.

I also have great hopes for OpenMW. They just switched to a faster rendering engine, and the game is functional but not complete.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

If you fix that, you'll fix your frame rate problem. Try setting the MW install folder as a different location using this guide.

I moved my Steam installation and all my games to E:/Morrowind, so it's now on a different hard drive; I'm hoping that's what you meant! I managed to get FPS Optimizer running, but so far, exteriors are still only 8 or 9 FPS. For some reason, the system is still refusing to save core affinity preferences. I appreciate everyone's help; Morrowind was the first video game I ever fell in love with, so it's been a lot of fun to return to it, even though it's very janky.

Pinball fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 20, 2015

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Pinball posted:

I moved my Steam installation and all my games to E:/Morrowind, so it's now on a different hard drive; I'm hoping that's what you meant! I managed to get FPS Optimizer running, but so far, exteriors are still only 8 or 9 FPS. For some reason, the system is still refusing to save core affinity preferences. I appreciate everyone's help; Morrowind was the first video game I ever fell in love with, so it's been a lot of fun to return to it, even though it's very janky.

Is it any exterior, or is it particularly bad in towns? If it's anywhere and you have distant land on, you can go into MGE-XE and lower the settings. I think this may be buried somewhere in the FPS tweaks in the OP you mentioned trying, but this is the single biggest cause of FPS loss outdoors. You might even try binding the toggle distant land function to a keyboard shortcut in the MGE-XE macro editor.

Robo Reagan posted:

Been playing Skyrim on the 360 and it's made me want to give Morrowind another go, but the game is pretty old and clunky. I want to install some mods to make it feel less like there's a bunch of 10 year old rpg design choices, but I'm a bit weary since modders tend to make terrible optimization decisions. Are there any mods that are lovely as gently caress laptop friendly? My desktop needs a new power supply so I'm stuck with a dying laptop that's prone to blue screens because the CPU is begging to be put out of its misery. Seriously, opening two YouTube vids is a good way to get a blue screen.

I know about the FPS optimizer. I'm just curious about anything else I might be able to use.

The only thing I can possibly think of besides the optimizer is the Chocolate Pack (from the OP). Depending on your CPU, though, even that may be too much.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

9 am: hmm, what game shall I play? Oh, I got Morrowind on a sale, maybe I can play the beginning up to Balmora and some early quests...
5 pm: Archmage.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Seriously, why is this game so much fun? I think I've been Nerevarine about 5 or 6 times in my life already but I still enjoy doing these quests, even though I've basically memorized what to do. I don't feel very compelled to install Tamriel Rebuilt, partly because I'm afraid that it'll feel like fanfic, and partly because I kind of enjoy the parts of the game I remember best the most.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shibawanko posted:

Seriously, why is this game so much fun? I think I've been Nerevarine about 5 or 6 times in my life already but I still enjoy doing these quests, even though I've basically memorized what to do. I don't feel very compelled to install Tamriel Rebuilt, partly because I'm afraid that it'll feel like fanfic, and partly because I kind of enjoy the parts of the game I remember best the most.

I honestly think it has the best world building of almost any RPG ever made, but doesn't shove it in your face. Also the quick start helps a lot. Oblivion, Skyrim and even loving Daggerfall make you put up with a lot more bullshit before you can really start to explore the world. Morrowind just has the annoyong walk through the boat that is easily modded out, loot everything that isn't in line of sight from the census bureau, then you can gently caress off and do whatever the hell you want. All the other ones have a tutorial dungeon and aside from Daggerfall some extra bullshit too before you can dig into the openness of the games (I haven't played Arena).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with the obvious polish that was put into the world. Morrowind just feels like this huge, hostile island that will eat you alive if you let it but gently caress you I'm the goddamned Nerevarine. I think the lack of things like the scaling they put in Oblivion also helps because you start as this lovely prisoner that can't even run faster than a trot and end up as this behemoth of raw power that can just snap anything that gets in his way. But even when you've basically achieved godhood there's still cool poo poo to do. Even if you've played the game 20 times I guarantee there are still places you haven't been and stuff you haven't seen. Every time I play the game I find something new. There's always some other thing I haven't done.

Plus the world building is just magnificent. Morrowind isn't the slightest bit generic. I think the later Elder Scrolls games kind of lost something by becoming more normal. Compared to Morrowind Oblivion was a boring, generic dungeon crawl. Morrowind still has one of the most unique plots I've ever seen and it's still a joy to play through it just because of how well done it is.

I think that's also why so many people like the Telvanni so much. They're just so different than anything else out there. Crazy, ancient wizards that live in mushroom towers? Yes, please.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

yo i had the same fear but tamriel rebuilt is legit really good

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Hog Inspector posted:

yo i had the same fear but tamriel rebuilt is legit really good

Too bad development ground to a halt last year.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Being a dark elf archeologist is v. sweet and v. fun

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I posted about it in the Fallout 4 hype thread, but the reason I think Morrowind stands out so much in my mind is that the game's plot walks a fine line between maintaining narrative momentum and giving you enough slack to feel alright about going out and exploring, picking up some side quests, putg in work for a few guilds, etc. in a way that not only feels natural to the progression of your character, but to the plot.

Take Oblivion, for example: In Oblivion, from the moment you build your potato-faced PC, poo poo is hitting the fan. You're escaping with the emperor himself, watching him get assassinated, and then having the Amulet of Kings (the key to repelling a daedric invasion and saving the world) pushed into your hands. At virtually no point in the main quest does it feel like it would make sense to go wander out into the woods, join a guild, or help some pissant farmer with his goblin problem (except, perhaps, for when you need to go out and find a Daedric prince to work for). In Skyrim, you're escaping under attack from a dragon in the midst of a civil war. With the abrupt return of these creatures and their tendency to show up and destroy villages and raze the countryside, it's sort of difficult to be like, "Eh, it can wait--gotta go find some ingredients for this idiot alchemist".

Obviously in both examples, there's nothing mechanically stopping you from putting the main quest on hold so you can hunt vampires or help the Mages Guild. There's no countdown or clock (like, say, Fallout 1's water chip) that will lead to an endgame. It just feels weird because the game is actively reminding you, through dragon attacks and Oblivion gates, that time is of the essence--you need to find Martin and warn the villagers and bolster the defenses.

For as small as the world actually was, Morrowind felt absolutely packed full of people and places and stories that were largely unrelated to the main quest, or even secondary quests like the "main" guilds. What really added to this was the fact that the game didn't smash you over the head with everything it had to offer. The Morag Tong, for example, was a genuinely hidden guild that the average player might never encounter; for the most part, vampires were rare and hid in remote parts of the world, adding to their mystery (rather than showing up all over the drat place like mudcrabs or wolves). Winning your way into various organizations wasn't handed to you like in subsequent games (compare it to Skyrim's Thieves Guild, which has an NPC who practically corners and shouts at you to recruit you for the guild regardless of what sort of character you're playing). Entire areas, like forbidden shrines, Telvanni regions, and parts of Vivec would balk or flat-out reject your presence unless you bent over backwards to appease them. In most cases there was nothing really stopping you from going into these areas anyway--no magically unpickable door or gamey, invisible wall or prompt saying you're not playing by the rules--but it wouldn't stop NPCs from trying to kill you if they caught you, either. Getting around was thought of in in-game terms, whether it was actually following directions to navigate the terrain or thinking, "well, I could climb the ranks a bit in the temple so they won't immediately kill me for entering the Ministry of Truth...or I can sneak in. Or kill everything."

There was a constant sense of concealment in every corner of the game, like every NPC is hiding something, whether it's getting in over their head by smuggling ash statues, worshipping Dagoth Ur, or belonging to a hidden cult tucked away in some dark corner of the world--or even right under your nose. The whole place seemed strange and sinister. Between that and the relatively hostile demeanor of many characters, the game really gave the impression that you'd have to work to win its approval (if it was even possible) rather than having an NPC shout their secrets at you, doing a few quests, and suddenly becoming the King of all Guilds.

And the game let you break it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I agree with all of that. I think another nice touch for example is that the ocean around the island is dotted with a bunch of stone spires. Mostly there's nothing among them except for a few shipwrecks with vendor trash and stuff, but they add to the sense of scale, you feel like there's something to be found there.

What I hated in Skyrim and Oblivion was exactly the way it shoved a story down your throat. It made you feel like everything depended on your character and like everything was a job you had to do. The world in Morrowind doesn't give a rat's rear end about what you do, unless you really went poking around and worked for it.

The only thing I still don't like in Morrowind is how easy it is to get really overpowered early on. I took the armor of my dark brotherhood assassin but I just sold it at no profit because it's such a broken thing to get at that point of the game. I'm pretending that the Sword of White Woe doesn't exist. I want to wear Chitin armor for the early levels and not steal the full set of glass you can find in Ghostgate.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The other major difference that worked incredibly well was that in Morrowind the Big Bad was just kind of creeping over the world slowly. It was like an infection. You had the various diseases and whatnot slowly creeping over the world. It was blatantly obvious that the world was utterly hosed if you didn't stop it but it was a cancerous, slow sort of thing. There was no massive rush to stop it just because of how insidious, hidden, and slow it was.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Mooktastical posted:

Too bad development ground to a halt last year.

People seem to still be posting on the forums, I assume things are just slow. Do you know something?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tamriel Rebuilt is really pretty and fun to explore for a few hours but I still feel like there isn't much to do outside of maybe map 1, and even it still has some quests and poo poo that are coming "eventually". I know, playing Morrowind for the quests lol, but I like to have a goal to point me in a direction and find interesting things along the way. TR just feels like... you stumble across cool and weird places sometimes, but all you can really do is look at them and nod appreciatively. It's fun for a few hours but I wish there was more to it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Tamriel Rebuilt is still being developed, they had a trailer released pretty recently for the new areas they're working on.

It just won't be complete until everyone posting ITT is like 85 years old, but oh well.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
TR is dying, unfortunately. I mean, it's a logarithmic curve because there will always be someone working on it, but I have the feeling that the mildly controversial decision to change vanilla content was as much an attempt to invigorate the troops as it was an egotistical idea that it is their "mission" to "make Morrowind as Bethesda truly intended it".

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
They also had to scrap a lot of what they were working on due to severe performance issues.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hopefully OpenMW's release will reinvigorate development somewhat.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I found something that really improved the inexplicably bad fps I have:

Bethsoft posted:

If you are having problems with frame rates when running Morrowind try doing this, Right click your Morrowind shortcut> Click the compatibility tab> And tick the boxes that say disable desktop compositon, disable visual themes and disable display scaling on high DPI settings> Click apply and enjoy increased performance! :P

Actually, right-click the .exe and find the Compatibility tab under Properties. Morrowind really improved for me, I had pretty crappy fps in towns.

Also tried the latest OpenMW with the new rendering engine. Wow, this looks really good! :stare:
I'm going to play the regular game for a while before I try OpenMW, just to know what I'm comparing.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I'm not so sure given how they tend to try and stick to 'vanilla' a lot of the time even when people request that they don't.. like all their heads are based on vanilla heads, and pluginless replacers are hard to find. A lot of their textures are really low res. The armor and clothing needed/needs BB patches. But then they add clutter all over the place which is what causes the performance issues for the most part. I think they sortof assume that most people won't use a ton of mods, except maybe theirs? They may assume that fewer people are using OpenMW too because of that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

They're still just recreating the vanilla game. Making it prettier and functional is what mods are for.

What's the clutter they're adding? Pretty sure OpenMW does not modify the environment (or meshes and textures) in any way without mods.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
OpenMW will eventually have mod support, so there is that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It already does.

Complete vanilla Morrowind compatibility is the goal for 1.0, but the aim is to be a general game engine for Bethesda-esque RPGs. Multiplayer is being considered and additional features are more than welcome.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I can't decide if multiplayer Morrowind is the best or worst idea I have ever heard.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cubey posted:

I can't decide if multiplayer Morrowind is the best or worst idea I have ever heard.

Co-op play through the single player campaign could be fun, though it'd require some extensive messing with the game scripts.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

They're still just recreating the vanilla game. Making it prettier and functional is what mods are for.

What's the clutter they're adding? Pretty sure OpenMW does not modify the environment (or meshes and textures) in any way without mods.

I was actually talking about TR. Not OpenMW. And why I think OpenMW doesn't mean TR will actually pick up speed.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other major difference that worked incredibly well was that in Morrowind the Big Bad was just kind of creeping over the world slowly. It was like an infection. You had the various diseases and whatnot slowly creeping over the world. It was blatantly obvious that the world was utterly hosed if you didn't stop it but it was a cancerous, slow sort of thing. There was no massive rush to stop it just because of how insidious, hidden, and slow it was.

In addition figuring out what was actually going on and what you needed to do was fed to you over the course of the game in Morrowind it was paced really well narratively. Oblivion basically tells you what's up as soon as you hit Kvatch. "Daedric monstrosities are invading our world and we need to stop this poo poo." Skyrim also presents the actual problem immediately, having a dragon come and interrupt your execution and all. Granted, actually finding out what all happened was spaced out pretty nicely, with the blades plotline, checking out what the thalmor know, and then getting answers from the greybeards/paarthunax/an elder scroll, but you kinda got hit in the face at the start with the problem.

Morrowind just takes it's time actually establishing that there's poo poo that's off you as the Nerevarine need to take care of.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've always liked Morrowind because like what Shibawanko up there said, the game couldn't give less of a poo poo about what you end up doing. Most RPGs allow you to build a lot of different characters that feel different to play, but you always play through the same content the same way. In Morrowind, most characters end up playing pretty much the same by the time they're developed (mouse clicks once, enemy dies), but it seems like you always play through different content in different ways each time. In Morrowind, like, the world is the character you develop, maaaan. :okpos:

Also, another one of the reasons I always liked Morrowind was the combination of the facts that:

1) Even though most NPCs were basically just interactive info dumps, their circumstances (clothing, placement in the world, race, sex,etc) always told a lot about them and made them feel like they had a real and individual identity in the game's universe.

2) The character creation system was open ended enough that you felt like you could literally create that character exactly and exist in the game as him/her (after killing and disposing of their corpse, of course), in a way you just can't really do in Oblivion or Skyrim.

Understanding those two concepts always made me feel, and still makes me feel like Morrowind's world is a lot bigger and holds a lot more potential than it really does. When I play the game and meet interesting NPC's, I always think about what it would be like to play the game as them. "I could be that dirt farmer over there. Neat." "I could be that wacky Telvanni mage over there. Neat." etc. Even though I almost never do, the fact that I could if I wanted to is cool to me.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 24, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Co-op Morrowind: Somebody plays the main character and somebody plays a customizable Jiub. The main character must become the Nerevarine and Jiub must drive all of the cliff racers from Morrowind.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Co-op Morrowind: Somebody plays the main character and somebody plays a customizable Jiub. The main character must become the Nerevarine and Jiub must drive all of the cliff racers from Morrowind.

It'd be more interesting if each player could join a rival house. Except nobody wants to join anything but Telvanni so maybe that would not work out so well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
All I have to say is "competing Nerevarines." You are not the Nerevarine. But you may yet become the Nerevarine.

...there just happens to also be nine other poo poo bags trying too.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I enjoyed what I played of Tamriel Rebuilt; there were some neat quests and Necrom was fun.

Cubey posted:

It'd be more interesting if each player could join a rival house. Except nobody wants to join anything but Telvanni so maybe that would not work out so well.

Ummm Redoran for life :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pikestaff posted:

Ummm Redoran for life :colbert:

Redoran is the only quest line in Morrowind that I only finished once. So boring. Even the Cult is better.