Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
How are you gonna post Superdickery on Father's Day and not go straight for this classic?

side note: Whoever decided the Superdickery website would be better redesigned as a WordPress blog is just awful.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
In case anyone is wondering the plot of that issue since it comes up so often, the gist of it is that Superman decides to adopt Jimmy Olsen, but during like a "trial period" before the adoption is official, Superman receives a prediction that he will destroy his son, and so he acts like a jerk to Jimmy so that Jimmy will refuse to make the adoption official. Then it turns out that the actual prediction was that Superman would destroy a SUN, but at that point it is too late and the adoption does not go through.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Benito Cereno posted:

In case anyone is wondering the plot of that issue since it comes up so often, the gist of it is that Superman decides to adopt Jimmy Olsen, but during like a "trial period" before the adoption is official, Superman receives a prediction that he will destroy his son, and so he acts like a jerk to Jimmy so that Jimmy will refuse to make the adoption official. Then it turns out that the actual prediction was that Superman would destroy a SUN, but at that point it is too late and the adoption does not go through.

The lesson here is that the Silver Age was loving bonkers.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Oh thank god I will just destroy a solar system

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the story behind the one where Superman is taunting Jimmy and Aquaman with a jug of water in the middle of the desert?

It's my all-time favourite Superdickery image - probably for the inclusion of Aquaman.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Benito Cereno posted:

So Superman decides to adopt Jimmy Olson (which means he must be an orphan. Unless Superman decided to ignore that little wrinkle. ) who is either a grown rear end man, or very nearly one. Either way, only a few years younger then Supes.

And then that fell apart because Superman clearly has a Greek Oracle telling him the future in a vague manner. That's the Silver Age.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the story behind the one where Superman is taunting Jimmy and Aquaman with a jug of water in the middle of the desert?

It's my all-time favourite Superdickery image - probably for the inclusion of Aquaman.

The Superman doing the taunting is a Greek god who has shapeshifted himself to look like Superman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's a bit disappointing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

So Superman decides to adopt Jimmy Olson (which means he must be an orphan. Unless Superman decided to ignore that little wrinkle. ) who is either a grown rear end man, or very nearly one. Either way, only a few years younger then Supes.

And then that fell apart because Superman clearly has a Greek Oracle telling him the future in a vague manner. That's the Silver Age.

During this time period it has been previously stated that Jimmy is 21 years old.

A lot of those stories are weird because they involved Superman needing to lie about something but not being able to because of the standards of the time. So instead he just creates these elaborate fictions where he isn't technically lying but instead doing things that cause people to misinterpret his intentions/actions. Another hallmark of the era was Superman not trusting anyone with anything, like the time that Jimmy accidentally gets Superman's secret identity written on his hand in indelible ink. Instead of just telling Jimmy and trusting that he'll cover it up until it wears off Superman creates this elaborate fiction wherein Jimmy thinks he's gained the ability to breathe underwater.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A bit like all those Legion of Superheroes stories where one of them would have a premonition of Element Lad stubbing his toe, then mastermind an elaborate scheme to seize control of the Legion and bully him out of the team or break both his legs so he wouldn't be able to go on the mission where he stubbed his toe.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's a bit disappointing.

The answer to almost every Silver Age cover.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
True - they did the covers first then wrote the stories to fit them in the Silver Age, didn't they? Sure, the entire reason the multiverse exists is supposed to be because Infantino drew a cover with both Barry Allen and Jay Garrick and said, "Ha! Write your way out of that one, Gardner!" (He probably did not say this, but he should have.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

True - they did the covers first then wrote the stories to fit them in the Silver Age, didn't they? Sure, the entire reason the multiverse exists is supposed to be because Infantino drew a cover with both Barry Allen and Jay Garrick and said, "Ha! Write your way out of that one, Gardner!" (He probably did not say this, but he should have.)

It sounds like an improv exercise, and it would probably be a fun idea to do once in a while. Force the normal writers to deal with something they weren't expecting; you might get something brilliant.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

One time a cover artist on G.I. Combat mistook the directions "Drop an inch" as the name of a story, so Robert Kanigher sat down and wrote it during his lunch break.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

During the height of the "B" movie era they would draw up posters and send them around to theaters. If enough owners ordered the movie only then would they actually shoot it.

GorfZaplen posted:

One time a cover artist on G.I. Combat mistook the directions "Drop an inch" as the name of a story, so Robert Kanigher sat down and wrote it during his lunch break.

Wonder Girl only came into existence because of a cover showing Wonder Woman doing stuff alongside a teenage and baby version of her character.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh Stan. :allears:

Amazing Spider-Man (Newspaper Strip), June 21.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 25, 2015

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

prefect posted:

It sounds like an improv exercise, and it would probably be a fun idea to do once in a while. Force the normal writers to deal with something they weren't expecting; you might get something brilliant.

Look up Val Lewton, a Hollywood legend who built his career out of adapting titles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

smashpro1 posted:

The glorious dream of Tacocopter is finally coming true! :patriot:

And it's also a ploy to get Americans to accept a surveillance state. :toot:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The corporate faces are the best. Prez #1

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pete... if MJ really is into you dressing like her, that's cool, you do you... but maybe keep it private enough that you're both in the same country when you do it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this? posted:

like the time that Jimmy accidentally gets Superman's secret identity written on his hand in indelible ink. Instead of just telling Jimmy and trusting that he'll cover it up until it wears off Superman creates this elaborate fiction wherein Jimmy thinks he's gained the ability to breathe underwater.

I know it's going to be really dumb, but I want to know how that plan was supposed to go. "Need to make sure no one sees my name on Jimmy's hand. Well, step one, obviously I need to convince him he can breathe underwater. That goes without saying."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why not just drop a mountain on his hand and give him a robot one? Seems about the same amount of effort.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just get more indelible ink and scribble it out, jeez.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Use your shaving heat-vision to burn off the layers of skin that the ink is actually on.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
But... Jimmy Olsen already works with Clark Kent! Why would people freak out about 'Clark Kent' being written on his hand?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It said "Superman is Clark Kent" because he was writing it for some time capsule. Really, a lot of Superman's problems with his identity in the Silver Age were his own fault because he kept writing it down somewhere and would then be shocked that someone found it.

Tiggum posted:

I know it's going to be really dumb, but I want to know how that plan was supposed to go. "Need to make sure no one sees my name on Jimmy's hand. Well, step one, obviously I need to convince him he can breathe underwater. That goes without saying."

Because if Jimmy thought he could breathe underwater he would then just spend all his time underwater and it would then be hard to read anything written on his hand because of light refraction.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wouldn't most people take a look at the writing and go "yeah right Jimmy, as if :rolleye:"?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tiggum posted:

As it turns out, Silver Age comic book logic is surprisingly similar to adventure game logic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part of Silver Age stories is when they just wouldn't really give a poo poo about how it is a superhero comic. Like the time Jimmy enters a goddamn marbles tournament and Superman just hangs out watching all this go down.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
That seems like something to do to horrible scar Jimmy out of playing marble.

"Gee Willikers Superman, I won 8 marbles at that tournament, isn't that great?"

"Yes it is Jimmy, but did you know that while you were playing 80 people died in this state alone from accidents I could have prevented. Each of those Marbles cost 10 people their lives. But it's alright, I was completely glad to be here to watch your mediocre performance that didn't even come in first. And just imagine the rest of the world that I could hear with my Super Hearing, click, 4 people, clack, 3 people, click, 20 people, clack, 5 people. All for you Jimmy, you're my best friend, and I'd never think of disappointing you."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh no, Jimmy came in first even though there was rampant cheating by the sponsor of another kid. He stole Jimmy's marble and then altered it by putting a bead of metal and then would alter the trajectory with a buried electromagnet. The other kid was unaware of the cheating and was sad that he didn't get second place on his own merits until Superman chimes in that he talked to the cheater who said that he barely had to cheat and that the kid totally got there almost on his own. The way that last part is given secondhand totally implied that Superman was just lying to the kid to make him feel better.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Not gonna lie, It's all pre-school level improv but all of the silver age absurdism sounds about 12 trillion times more appealing than anything that involves multi-verses/clones/shapeshifters these days.

Although i'm always happy to see some panels to prove my impression wrong!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Not gonna lie, It's all pre-school level improv but all of the silver age absurdism sounds about 12 trillion times more appealing than anything that involves multi-verses/clones/shapeshifters these days.

Not a fan of Secret War?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Although i'm always happy to see some panels to prove my impression wrong!

Not really, they are interesting when you summarize them but kind of a chore to read through.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really, they are interesting when you summarize them but kind of a chore to read through.
Oh well, I kind of figured. Really it was just a roundabout way of asking for more funny panels. I like funny panels.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm starting to think Superman's Secret Identity is actually some kind of Rumplestiltskin situation. Like, it's completely impenetrable until someone says aloud "Clark Kent is Superman" and then it all falls apart.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My preferred take is that everyone around him knows but lives in a constant state of terror and paranoia, but I like that one almost as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

My preferred take is that everyone around him knows but lives in a constant state of terror and paranoia, but I like that one almost as much.

Tu es Moleculo.