Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Hm i think i killed my 360. Took it swimming earlier and a couple of hours later it just shut down and wont boot up anymore. It has a crack on the back (from normal wear, what the hell motorola?) so that probably compromised the seal that makes it waterproof.
I had it randomly shut down a couple of days ago but putting it on the charger fixed it. No luck this time :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Shai-Hulud posted:

Hm i think i killed my 360. Took it swimming earlier and a couple of hours later it just shut down and wont boot up anymore. It has a crack on the back (from normal wear, what the hell motorola?) so that probably compromised the seal that makes it waterproof.
I had it randomly shut down a couple of days ago but putting it on the charger fixed it. No luck this time :/

Mine is also cracked on the back. While mine currently still works, they are replacing it under warranty. I would imagine you could get it replaced as it's supposed to be waterproof and their crappy back that cracks is really what caused it to probably die. Can't hurt to try anyway.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well, I guess now we know why all the Pip Boy watch faces were removed from the Play store:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/14/8780111/fallout-4-pip-boy-edition-e3-2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I was barely, barely considering picking up a 360 now that they are being cleared out so I tried one on today:

Nope, I'm sorry, it does not pass for a normal watch, even if it round. Maybe techno jewelry but the thing looks way bigger and less watch like on my wrist than my G Watch with a leather band.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

I was barely, barely considering picking up a 360 now that they are being cleared out so I tried one on today:

Nope, I'm sorry, it does not pass for a normal watch, even if it round. Maybe techno jewelry but the thing looks way bigger and less watch like on my wrist than my G Watch with a leather band.

You're a skeleton.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

You're a skeleton.

But G Watch:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

But G Watch:

Wait, you're saying that looks better and more watch-like than the 360?

Because if you're saying that...you are always wrong!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Jesus your arms are small. A ton of watches will look like poo poo on you. It will also pass like a normal watch if there was a watch face displaying instead of it being a black void but Jesus eat some food dude.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Wait, you're saying that looks better and more watch-like than the 360?

Because if you're saying that...you are always wrong!

No, I'm saying that the 360 looks comically large on my wrists and could never pass as a traditional watch. Might as well pocket the money and have something that costs much less, runs the latest software, is faster and has better battery life.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

No, I'm saying that the 360 looks comically large on my wrists and could never pass as a traditional watch. Might as well pocket the money and have something that costs much less, runs the latest software, is faster and has better battery life.

You're ragging on a really good watch because it looks bad on you. Kinda weird.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I have really big wrists and still think the Moto 360 looked pretty tacky. :shobon:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
46mm watches are clown comedy big

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Jesus your arms are small. A ton of watches will look like poo poo on you. It will also pass like a normal watch if there was a watch face displaying instead of it being a black void but Jesus eat some food dude.

But they aren't!

Here is my old as poo poo Forerunner that I bought like over a decade ago:

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You're ragging on a really good watch because it looks bad on you. Kinda weird.

By what definition is it a "really good watch" besides looking good on you? It has chronic manufacturing issues, the worst SOC and battery by far and there aren't promises on the latest wear that all of the other watches have had for weeks. I just don't understand why the 360 is the undisputed best Wear device by so many people.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 16, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

The 360 looks way better. It doesn't look like a watch on you...it just looks like 10x better. I mean they both look stupid and you shouldn't wear either.

You really shouldn't be wearing anything on your arms though. Unless you're wearing some of those weighted things to bulk up.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Three Olives posted:

No, I'm saying that the 360 looks comically large on my wrists and could never pass as a traditional watch.

If you mean that it could not pass for a normal watch because of how large (or tacky) it is, you really really really do not understand the watch scene for the past couple decades.

E: seriously, I mean I could see the argument that there aren't a lot of watches with a bezel like that (There are probably some because fashion watches), but I am so tired of "It doesn't look like a watch". You know what don't look like watches any more? watches. They're status symbol jewelry and people buy crazy poo poo, so they keep making crazy poo poo. The moto360 is basically just a bauhaus-style smartwatch, except with that dumb flat tire. It's pretty watchlike.

And yes, everybody will know that your watch with a digital screen is not a non-digital watch. This is not actually a problem, unless you are already worried about getting a nice watch stolen, in which case do not buy a nice/expensive watch.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 16, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How do all your tendons fit through that tiny space

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
And here's me thinking I had skeleton arms

It actually doesn't look that bad in person, the really wide angle lenses they put on smartphones these days tend to exaggerate stuff like this

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

dissss posted:

And here's me thinking I had skeleton arms

It actually doesn't look that bad in person, the really wide angle lenses they put on smartphones these days tend to exaggerate stuff like this

What's that watch face?

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
I got my LG G watch on monday.

Every night, when I go to charge it, I have to restart it before it will start charging. I've factory reset it three times, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I can live with it, but I'm still hoping there is a fix.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Rubicon posted:

Every night, when I go to charge it, I have to restart it before it will start charging. I've factory reset it three times, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I think the fix is return it and get a working one

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rubicon posted:

I've had mine for quite a while now, and it's done that to me a couple times recently.

edit : I can confirm that the charger is horribly finicky, but it was in my case a reboot that did it. I've fussed with the connection for 10 minutes before to no avail when it usually just takes no more than 20 seconds. shutting down the watch would then immediately trigger the 'charging' icon, followed by the watch booting itself back up.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 17, 2015

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
My G watch can be quite finicky about charging, but that seems to be a physical connectivity issue rather than a software one. Are you sure yours isn't just a physical thing? I find that it charges more easily if it's a little sweaty from wear.

I really hope qi charging for android wear is standard on the next generation.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Nerdrock posted:

I've fussed with the connection for 10 minutes before to no avail when it usually just takes no more than 20 seconds.

It seriously takes 20 seconds on a good day? :wtc:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

It seriously takes 20 seconds on a good day? :wtc:

20 might have been a bit of hyperbole, but still the point is the charger (and more specifically the contacts on the watch) is trash.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Yeah, if I have one complaint about the G Watch, it's the cradle being finicky.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reportedly the 5.1.1 update is coming to the Moto 360 starting today.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Rastor posted:

Reportedly the 5.1.1 update is coming to the Moto 360 starting today.

Just got the update. Wrist gestures are fiddly, but they work. The new app launcher is a definite improvement. I won't be able to check out the WiFi until I go to my friends' house after work, but it looks like it doesn't turn on until it loses the Bluetooth connection, which should reduce any battery drain from the new feature.

e: A tutorial for wrist gestures just came up, makes a lot more sense now.

Kakairo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 18, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My 360 updated last night.

One change that I noticed this morning which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere: alarms set on your phone now also vibrate the watch. However, alarms set on the watch are still watch only which is kind of stupid UX.

Edit: Ah, this is part of the updated Clock app, not the Wear update.

Edit edit: Comedy error message of the day:

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 19, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I guess a broken clock isn't always still right twice a day.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/rosterloh/status/612006062237978624

Motorola president says they held off on shipping the 360 update until the apparent battery issues in the 5.1 update had been dealt with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

https://twitter.com/rosterloh/status/612006062237978624

Motorola president says they held off on shipping the 360 update until the apparent battery issues in the 5.1 update had been dealt with.

I'm only half way through my second day with my 360 update and the battery life seems way better. Like...I've been off the charger for 8 hours now and I've got 69% battery left.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Battery life with the update seems about the same to me so far but it seems way smoother and wi-fi connectivity owns.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

Battery life with the update seems about the same to me so far but it seems way smoother and wi-fi connectivity owns.

It already had wifi though? Mine hasn't updated since I got it a couple of months back and wifi has always worked.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What secret model Moto 360 do you have? The wifi chip has always been there, but it was never supported in software at all until the Android 5.1 update that rolled out this week.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

8am to 2am with 39 percent battery left on my 360.

Would have easily been dead before 5.1.1.

Or maybe just having a particularly good day and it doesn't have anything to do with the OS update...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

What secret model Moto 360 do you have? The wifi chip has always been there, but it was never supported in software at all until the Android 5.1 update that rolled out this week.

I guess I was confused - the Cloud Sync option is there and I thought it was working

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

I guess I was confused - the Cloud Sync option is there and I thought it was working

Yeah they put the Option in the Wear App before they even rolled out the 5.1 update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I know it's ridiculous to ask in here but where is the next Moto 360? Everyone was sure it was imminent pre-I/O and now nothing. Considering it's passed the certification boards and the old stock has been discounted to nothing you'd think there'd at least be a presser announcement. :smith:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I know it's ridiculous to ask in here but where is the next Moto 360?

Motorola has it. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Is there a go-to metal strap replacement for the 360? I've read that some people using the Pebble one have experienced cracked backs after a while and AFAIK you can't order the Moto metal bands on their own.