Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do like people in South Africa keep flags or memorabilia or poo poo from apartheid and claim it's heritage, not hate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

They're just replacing it with the last Confederate flag flown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdKsgBNEHUU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

psydude posted:

Do like people in South Africa keep flags or memorabilia or poo poo from apartheid and claim it's heritage, not hate?

The racists probably do.

So pretty much the same as here.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

psydude posted:

Of course, but only because it hasn't even been long enough for that stuff to be "memorabilia" yet.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I never got why it's always the confederate battle flag, too, and not the flag of the CSA. Nobody gives a poo poo about silver medalists.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
its too bad most of the union generals were total trash, especially in the early stages of the war. if there were some competent guys in charge they couldve squashed that poo poo early on

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Victor Vermis posted:

While the quality of the opponent should be considered, I do think naming stuff after defeated foes is pretty rad.

A helicopter named Apache slaying mountain bushwhackers in some middle eastern desert is the tightest poo poo.

Boeing Mujahideen 1st generation inter-atmospheric worldfucker-class starfighter gonna tear poo poo up for uncle sugar in the 22nd century.

Third Gen Stealth Bomber: Zyklon B

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

I never got why it's always the confederate battle flag, too, and not the flag of the CSA. Nobody gives a poo poo about silver medalists.

Because the CSA's citizens didn't really care about the leadership, the President was mostly hated. Lee was the icon of the CSA and the South loved him, and he probably would've been elected President next had he not been too busy chasing slaves around the North and getting his rear end whooped while trying to find shoes in Pennsylvania. The States were too busy bickering over (hilariously) State's Rights and who had to take care of the Army and keep the war effort supplied.

http://deadconfederates.com/2010/07/01/old-pete-slave-raids-and-the-gettysburg-campaign/

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

psydude posted:

It's not even the confederate battle flag. It's the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

Yes. South Carolina had to borrow a defunct military unit from another state's flag to display their heritage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Genocide Tendency posted:

It's not even the confederate battle flag. It's the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

Yes. South Carolina had to borrow a defunct military unit from another state's flag to display their heritage.

No, it was the National Flag, they just had difficulty telling it apart at a distance through field glasses so they removed the white around it.

It was the second CSA flag.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Just burn the South now. Get it over with, reduce our nation's burden. Sure I"d die but dammit, I signed up to serve my country as best as possible and if that's dying in a fiery holocaust so future generations don't have to have Mississippi be a place then so be it

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
why stop at the south? why stop at america?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
On your southern pyro rampage if you could leave south florida alone as they have the best coffee and hot brown women tia

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I'll volunteer to raze the South. People confuse my name with Sherman often enough. Hell, the VFW even sent me a card with that on it. Time to go scorched earth on these motherfuckers. :sherman:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

Just burn the South now. Get it over with, reduce our nation's burden. Sure I"d die but dammit, I signed up to serve my country as best as possible and if that's dying in a fiery holocaust so future generations don't have to have Mississippi be a place then so be it

I heard we're looking for someone to put on some money...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

There's about a thousand schools named after Nathan Bedford Forrest, only seems fair.

EDIT: I was bidding on a brass bust of Sherman on Ebay but let it go after it reached $40. I want one for my desk but I'm trying to save money right now.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 23, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

There's about a thousand schools named after Nathan Bedford Forrest, only seems fair.

We're burning the South....

....With Education.

Sherman had the best quotes:

quote:

You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out.

Grant stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk, and now we stand by each other.

I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers.

If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.

War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.

War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.

If drafted, I will not run; if nominated, I will not accept; if elected, I will not serve.

Courage - a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 23, 2015

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011

shyduck posted:

Afghanistan's parliament building is currently under attack, explosions and gunfire reported, Taliban is claiming responsibility

https://i.imgur.com/JkogN8p.gifv

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Dude's got the conch, ain't nothing going to stop him from talking.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psydude posted:

Yeah. Lots of people who work for the debeers family of companies have them in their homes, but its more about social class there, because lots of well to do black guys there keep them as well

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

psydude posted:

Plenty of assholes still jerk off over swastikas.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Godholio posted:

Southerners will finally know how Team Redman and the Fabulous Feather Heads feel holding a :20bux:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Kink shaming much? Mods?!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I read somewhere that Rhodies, Rhodesians who just can't let it go, are really low on the totem pole when it comes to white Africans. Afrikaaners apparently think they're pathetic as gently caress.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXxkFd3lHaM

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

What the gently caress is wrong with the god drat cable? I'm trying to jerk off to AHC's Auschwitz series...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-22/solar-storm-may-trigger-aurora-visible-across-the-u-s-south

Oh...

Also. For those of you who want to track why Quebec doesn't have power...

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Aurora potentially visible in Alabama. Which I imagine will provide endless entertainment as the entire state collapses in the face of what they think is the rapture.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiOW0A0qrmA

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Genocide Tendency posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the god drat cable? I'm trying to jerk off to AHC's Auschwitz series...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-22/solar-storm-may-trigger-aurora-visible-across-the-u-s-south

Oh...

Also. For those of you who want to track why Quebec doesn't have power...

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Aurora potentially visible in Alabama. Which I imagine will provide endless entertainment as the entire state collapses in the face of what they think is the rapture.

Supposedly I should be able to see it in the DC are at its current intensity, but there's too much drat light pollution.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Dude's got brass ones.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

psydude posted:

The Economist ran an interesting article related to this question.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I grew up in various Southern locales, and don't recall the Confederate flag being very prominent except on the odd redneck pickup. The only real emotional connection I ever felt to it was the General Lee because Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane can eat my dust. Then again, the only Civil War-era American ancestors I have were a Union officer and Natives, so maybe I'm not a good example.

So maybe we can compromise: the Confederate flag can still be displayed, but only on on the roof of an orange 1969 Dodge Challenger.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Should make a new flag, that doesn't symbolize a failed rebellion, with cornbread and BBQ.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh christ no opening the pandora's box of mustard vs vinegar would ignite bloodshed beyond your imagination.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

Oh christ no opening the pandora's box of mustard vs vinegar would ignite bloodshed beyond your imagination.

Exactly

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Navy allowed a film crew on board a P-8 that went looking at China's newest ploy to claim the entire western half of the Pacific.

I wonder if the resemblance of the workstations to Dangerous Waters is intentional or not...

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/06/18/us-submarine-hunter-grabs-spotlight-at-paris-air-show.html

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Derek Dominoe posted:

So maybe we can compromise: the Confederate flag can still be displayed, but only on on the roof of an orange 1969 Dodge Challenger.

John Schneider used to regularly race one in the Big Bend Open Road Race bborr.com

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
RIP James Horner

Also I will ban anyone starting an inane food debate.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

RIP James Horner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WH8mHJnhM

:rip:

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

RIP James Horner

Thank you, the 20 page derail in the Eve thread over that was enough for me for a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
New ISIS video featuring RPG execution, cage drowning, detcord beheading
https://archive.org/details/Win3dtom3dna

• Locked thread