Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Two Berserkers ain't so bad as long as you tactically knock them off for bosses where they can gently caress things up (LiquidFlame, Sandworm, sometimes Byblos depending on comp but honestly they're one of the better bets for outdamaging Drain in a lot of comps), and pay close attention to them during Neo Exdeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Two Berserkers ain't so bad as long as you tactically knock them off for bosses where they can gently caress things up (LiquidFlame, Sandworm, sometimes Byblos depending on comp but honestly they're one of the better bets for outdamaging Drain in a lot of comps), and pay close attention to them during Neo Exdeath.

Two berserkers pretty much work or don't work depending on who's supporting them. MK and Bard are great classes on their own and incredibly powerful, but both of them need to spend turn/s setting up their super combos which means they can't heal or manage the fight.

Which doesn't matter so much in World 1/2, but in World 3 you're going to be shaking your head at the enemy out damaging your healing while your Berserkers whiff everything. At least you have Equip Harps so you don't need to worry about speed/underflowing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bufuman posted:

I managed it at 18, but I lucked way the gently caress out and LF spent almost the entire fight shifting between hand and tornado forms, which meant I took only one Blaze the whole battle (he only shifted back to human once he was one hit away from death). Above 20 should manage it, 25 would probably be overkill. It's all about waiting for the RNG to fall in your favor.
3 tries at 18 did it, thanks!

Oh, and my 3rd job is Samurai to go along with my Ninja and Berserker. I'd like a Mage for my 4th job but I'm fine with anything that isn't Dancer or Berserker.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 23, 2015

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Man, navigating North Mountain with a touchscreen is a real pain.

Had my first wipe when all my knights got poisoned and I couldn't get off the mountain to use a tent.

I suppose I could've run, but I'm not willing to ruin the efficacy of the Brave Blade.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Amgard posted:

Two berserkers pretty much work or don't work depending on who's supporting them. MK and Bard are great classes on their own and incredibly powerful, but both of them need to spend turn/s setting up their super combos which means they can't heal or manage the fight.

Which doesn't matter so much in World 1/2, but in World 3 you're going to be shaking your head at the enemy out damaging your healing while your Berserkers whiff everything. At least you have Equip Harps so you don't need to worry about speed/underflowing.

I had two berserkers and a bard last Fiesta. I even had a Knight who was better equipped to help babysit the Berserkers.

It was TERRIBLE. Only getting to play with one of your four characters is a nightmare. Bard is a super strong class but with two berserkers is one of the least pleasant experiences I could wish on anyone. If you lose the non Bard/Zerker at any time your entire team goes on autopilot and I hope you can win without any further input. It's better than a berserker, but tbh I think bard synergizes really poorly with multiple berserkers.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

BlondRobin posted:

I had two berserkers and a bard last Fiesta. I even had a Knight who was better equipped to help babysit the Berserkers.

It was TERRIBLE. Only getting to play with one of your four characters is a nightmare. Bard is a super strong class but with two berserkers is one of the least pleasant experiences I could wish on anyone. If you lose the non Bard/Zerker at any time your entire team goes on autopilot and I hope you can win without any further input. It's better than a berserker, but tbh I think bard synergizes really poorly with multiple berserkers.

Yeah, with a bard and zerks you're going to have to spend less time actually building up your advantage and just straight trying to claw for kills right away which eliminates the huge benefit Bards bring. You still have Love/Regen/Requiem, but slowbeef is going to be better off just giving Spellblade to his bard, harps to his zerks and MK, and just plowing through bosses with his insane damage.

I had MK/Ninja + 2 Zerks and even then I was having issues with Necro/Neo just wailing on me and turning my two best characters into pot bots for long periods of time. The whole challenge is going to come at endgame with his setup.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Summoner/Berzerker/Berzerker/???

Not exactly looking forward to the Earth crystal tonight, because it'll cost me one of my summoners & there aren't that many classes that are an improvement. Red Mage & Chemist come to mind and they're more of sidegrades than anything.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Hard to say who the MVP was. Bard's the obvious choice, as !Sing was absolutely necessary for this team, but Ranger gave Equip Bows to Fartz+, which let him proc !Rapidfire off of Hayate's Bow for ~4k damage, once Krile started buffing everyone's level.

Without that, though, Faris was still... technically doing damage with the Titan's Axe.

Onwards to Shinryu!

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Thanks Job Fiesta for reminding me why this might be the best Final Fantasy from a 'Being a Game' standpoint. Look at all these infinite ways to play!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Dishwasher posted:

Thanks Job Fiesta for reminding me why this might be the best Final Fantasy from a 'Being a Game' standpoint. Look at all these infinite ways to play!

Yeah, getting into World 2 has put this game as the Best Final Fantasy in my book.

Party loadout this time around has turned out to be Black Mage, Black Mage, Ranger, and Chemist. Right now I'm thinking my endgame strategy will be to give all of my Black Mages !Mix, while possibly giving my Ranger !Drink, !Black, or the multi-attack.

note: I have not made it to endgame before.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Arrrthritis posted:

Yeah, getting into World 2 has put this game as the Best Final Fantasy in my book.

Party loadout this time around has turned out to be Black Mage, Black Mage, Ranger, and Chemist. Right now I'm thinking my endgame strategy will be to give all of my Black Mages !Mix, while possibly giving my Ranger !Drink, !Black, or the multi-attack.

note: I have not made it to endgame before.

If it's your first time, abuse the crap out of !Rapidfire. Especially if you've been powering up the Chicken Knife, it'll put a stop to most fights very quickly. Much quicker, and far less boring, than just !Mixing your way to immortality. Which is also something you can do if you feel like it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

My first Fiesta triple crown. :toot: Chemist is really overpowered, you guys, and Dancer + Dual Wield Chicken Knife/Man-Eater is one of the biggest chunks of damage I've seen without overlevelling.

LordKaiok
Jan 19, 2006
Ruler of Okaria
http://imgur.com/WJ88Nak Omega down! Took way too long, but damnit the robot is dead. Not sure I'll go for Shinryu with this team, but I killed the one I really wanted to anyway so I'll call it a win. Next stop on this hate train: NED.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
https://goo.gl/photos/A5HRe3cb1u4MxYmH6

First run down. Just waiting for processing to start number 2. And I'm sorry but I will always have Butz in my heart.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I'm seeing everyone saying bard is good but I'm having some troubles as mine is somewhat useless, I'm in the Ronkan ruins right now my team is Zerk/RedMage/Zerk/Bard

The Zerks are strong enough for now and hit hard with their death sickles, My RM has pretty much been acting as a white mage for the most part keeping me alive I have romeo's ballad, alluring air, and mighty march and have played all world 1 Pianos.

Any suggestions on my bard pulling a little more weight?

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Two worlds down. Grinding all that gil for Flame Rings seems stupid now that I have access to Drain Sword.

Granted, that's a strat that absolutely doesn't work in certain circumstances (Pyramid). So it's nice to have my 200000-gil backup solution.

... it took me 15 minutes to beat Exdeath... I miss mages...

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Bard is a late bloomer. Really, your best bet right now is to slap !Red on the Bard, and Equip Harps on the Red Mage. That'll let Bard do something in boss fights, and give the RM a bit more magical oomph.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Looks like my final team is going to be Black Mage / Red Mage / Ranger / Samurai.

Good. Goood.

My toddler son always has a lot of questions about 'the magicians'. Then when I got red mage, about 'the new magicians'.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i have dancer, red mage, berserker, and samurai. what's the best way to beat the four crystals in the forest? i end up getting wiped really quick if i try to use the throw money to try and quick wipe all of them

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm seeing everyone saying bard is good but I'm having some troubles as mine is somewhat useless, I'm in the Ronkan ruins right now my team is Zerk/RedMage/Zerk/Bard

The Zerks are strong enough for now and hit hard with their death sickles, My RM has pretty much been acting as a white mage for the most part keeping me alive I have romeo's ballad, alluring air, and mighty march and have played all world 1 Pianos.

They don't do a lot other than give equip harps for you right now. The biggest things they can do are swift song and hero's rime, which you get in the latter half of world 2 (at the earliest) and world 3, respectively. Requiem is amazing versus undead (also world 2). Other than that, for random encounters just spam Romeo's ballad to keep most enemies from ever getting a turn.

If you want to brute force your way through a lot of fights, get a bunch of rods and put your bard on boss healing duty with !red until you get hero's rime. Have the red mage crack rods over faces while the zerkers do their thing.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 23, 2015

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Edward_Tohr posted:

Bard is a late bloomer. Really, your best bet right now is to slap !Red on the Bard, and Equip Harps on the Red Mage. That'll let Bard do something in boss fights, and give the RM a bit more magical oomph.

Thanks! That makes sense.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Which ability should I get for my berserker in my blue mage/ninja/beastmaster/berserker party? Dual wield or equip whip? Or something else that I am overlooking?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CapitalistPig posted:

Bard is sort of a magikarp. In the beginning of the game, he's not going to do much - though Romeo's Ballad and Alluring Air have their uses in keeping the enemies locked down while your zerks tear into them. It's not until the songs you get in late W2/W3 come around that they really come into their own and start statbuffing to obscene degrees.

The biggest problem there, though, is that people just noted a page or two back that Bard and Berserker is kind of a dangerous team to have; Berserkers don't give Bards enough time for their songs to become world ending monstrosities, and you're basically giving up control of half of your remaining controllable party members to use the statbuff songs.

Equip Harp is a great secondary for Berserkers if for no other reason than the stat gains, but Zerk hurts Bard's viability a lot.

Seravadon posted:

Which ability should I get for my berserker in my blue mage/ninja/beastmaster/berserker party? Dual wield or equip whip? Or something else that I am overlooking?

Dual Wield for offense, Equip Whip for defense. A back-row berserker won't be afraid of much of anything, but one that can swing two axes (or daggers) is going to tear faces off.

EDIT: I think Equip Whip boosts Berserker Agility a bit, too, but not nearly as much as Equip Harps does.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 23, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CapitalistPig posted:

Spam Romeo during randoms and let your Zerks do the heavy lifting. Romeo's Ballad/Alluring Air loving trivialize random encounters, since so few trash mobs are immune to Stop.

And eventually you get the Agility and Strength and Level boosting songs and then you're a pack of 99 Agility/99 Strength, level 99 murder machines. :getin:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

hubris.height posted:

i have dancer, red mage, berserker, and samurai. what's the best way to beat the four crystals in the forest? i end up getting wiped really quick if i try to use the throw money to try and quick wipe all of them

!Ianuki (or !Slash, or whatever the instant-death move is called in your version). Repeat until they're all gone.

Seravadon posted:

Dual-Wield will let them attack twice each round, doubling their damage giving them two chances to whiff. Probably your best shot.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
off to galuf's basement i go

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So, pro tip to anyone that gets Beastmaster at Wind/Water and is using the Fiesta mod to unlock all jobs from the start: Mani Wizards in the Wind Shrine cast Death when Released.

You can use this on, among other things, loving Liquiflame.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

KataraniSword posted:

Dual Wield for offense, Equip Whip for defense. A back-row berserker won't be afraid of much of anything, but one that can swing two axes (or daggers) is going to tear faces off.

EDIT: I think Equip Whip boosts Berserker Agility a bit, too, but not nearly as much as Equip Harps does.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Dual-Wield will let them attack twice each round, doubling their damage giving them two chances to whiff. Probably your best shot.

Double-Fisted Skull Smashing it is then!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

So, pro tip to anyone that gets Beastmaster at Wind/Water and is using the Fiesta mod to unlock all jobs from the start: Mani Wizards in the Wind Shrine cast Death when Released.

In addition to this, for those who haven't yet read Sulla's beastmaster run, a Released Calcruthl will petrify the target. Which works on Siren.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Soul Cannon down, and that's a good point to stop for today.

I'm trying to be completionist, which means trying to get Guard Off/Off Guard from Page 256. Has anyone had luck confusing it and getting it that way, or is that one that's Control-only?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dareon posted:

Soul Cannon down, and that's a good point to stop for today.

I'm trying to be completionist, which means trying to get Guard Off/Off Guard from Page 256. Has anyone had luck confusing it and getting it that way, or is that one that's Control-only?

It's control only from 256s.

You can eventually get it from Magic Dragons in Meat Fort.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Edward_Tohr posted:

In addition to this, for those who haven't yet read Sulla's beastmaster run, a Released Calcruthl will petrify the target. Which works on Siren.

How do you get Beastmaster before defeating Siren? :crossarms:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's control only from 256s.

You can eventually get it from Magic Dragons in Meat Fort.

You can pick it up slightly earlier in the Barrier Tower from Ziggurat Gigas.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
I need some help. I'm doing a Natural run. My team right now is Monk, Summoner, Beastmaster, and Galuf is a freelancer still. I can't get past the Sand Worm. Does anyone have any tips?

My friends warned me against doing a Natural run. Why didn't I listen to them? :negative:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

I need some help. I'm doing a Natural run. My team right now is Monk, Summoner, Beastmaster, and Galuf is a freelancer still. I can't get past the Sand Worm. Does anyone have any tips?

My friends warned me against doing a Natural run. Why didn't I listen to them? :negative:

Capture a Dhorme Chimera. It'll cast Aqua Breath when released, which will end the fight instantly.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

^^^:argh:

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

If you can manage it, have your Beastmaster capture a Dhorme Chimera from the desert north of the Ancoent Library. Releasing it will use Aqua Breath and one-shot the Sandworm.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Maleketh posted:

How do you get Beastmaster before defeating Siren? :crossarms:

Same way you get it before Liquiflame:

Kyrosiris posted:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Edward_Tohr posted:

Same way you get it before Liquiflame:

I'm going to blame a lack of sleep for that one. :downs:

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Looks like I'll be doing a 750 run after all :v:

Despite the blue mage (which is absolutely as broken as people say it is, even without a beastmaster backing it up), this lineup actually feels a touch underpowered when compared to the monk/time/ninja/dancer I used in my practice run. That team had some amazing synergy.

Still, this team is forcing me to come up with strategies other than 'spam sword dance and damage race' which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Any tips for Garula with only thieves? I have all my party members equipped with Mythril Knives and the best armor I could buy, but I just can't whittle his HP down in time before he starts Rush'ing me to death. I'm at Level 14, do I just need to grind for a while?

• Locked thread