Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
My kids went to nursery school for 2.5 hours, 2x a week when they were two--it's not too much for them at all. They made little friends, learned to be away from home/mom, learned to share and take turns, and to listen to other adults. She'll be great; only way to learn to be around other kids/people is to be around other kids/people--and any class for two year olds shouldn't expect them to do anything much. Although, you may be surprised how cooperative she'll be with the class. The instructors will know what they're doing and channel all the kids to do things together.

Also, parallel play (where kids play together, but not necessarily with each other) is also totally normal for that age--so a gymnastics and dance class, where everyone is doing the same thing or taking turns to do the same thing, but not having to necessarily be cooperative with each other, will be right in her developmental wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Thanks for helping me feel a bit less "oh god is he the only one doing this to himself why what is going on argh".

He does have some rubber grape teether things he loves and seems to have finally learned that shoving them all the way into the back of his throat until he gags is not an effective way to chew on them. It does seem to help with scratchingness due to teething and even hunger, but does not help with scratching due to tiredness or just randomness.

We have been cutting his nails like every other day, maybe we'll have to buy another nail file so we can get them down even more.
Get more teethers. Until they stop teething they will change preference every day and having a few means you can run one through the dishwasher and still have one or more available and one in the freezer for cold soothing. Some kids literally grow ninja claws daily,it does happen.

Also, baby popsicle molds exist for breastmilk or formula and are the perfect size for a baby. We tried one yesterday and she took to it immediately and loved it so much she never dropped it or let it go. Plus bonus humor of first solid equivalent.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
E: wrong thread

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 29, 2015

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Suddenly, the six-year-old was ready to walk a kilometer or so home from school all by himself.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You could go to the park once a week for 45 minutes and save yourself the $20/class. It's my opinion those organized activities don't do much for the kids, but it's a good parent meeting zone.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

photomikey posted:

You could go to the park once a week for 45 minutes and save yourself the $20/class. It's my opinion those organized activities don't do much for the kids, but it's a good parent meeting zone.

I actually think a class setting is very useful. Kids need to learn stuff like taking directions and that there are authority figures besides their parents. Nothing huge, but having a dance teacher once a week provide structure is worth that $20/class.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
So - there you go! Both sides of the argument. ;-)

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
We're facing a day-care change, and we're having some anxiety about it. Right now, our 16-month old goes to day-care 3 days a week, and goes to my mom's house the other 2 days. He's been at this day-care since he was 3 months old, he seems happy there, and all the teachers love him. Recently we've decided to move to full time day-care, which is needless to say, a big cost increase. Our options are basically to tighten the belt a little and pay the extra cost to keep him at his current school, or move him to a more affordable school. How attached does everyone think kids that age can be to certain places, people, and routines? Do we change his routine and save money, or do we keep him where he is and pay a little more?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Sneeing Emu posted:

We're facing a day-care change, and we're having some anxiety about it. Right now, our 16-month old goes to day-care 3 days a week, and goes to my mom's house the other 2 days. He's been at this day-care since he was 3 months old, he seems happy there, and all the teachers love him. Recently we've decided to move to full time day-care, which is needless to say, a big cost increase. Our options are basically to tighten the belt a little and pay the extra cost to keep him at his current school, or move him to a more affordable school. How attached does everyone think kids that age can be to certain places, people, and routines? Do we change his routine and save money, or do we keep him where he is and pay a little more?

Kids adapt to change. 16-months old? He'll be fine.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Honestly, make sure you like the new place before you give up the old. Not all daycares are created equal.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Has anyone had experience with silent reflux? I'm beginning to think it's the cause of our son's sleep woes. He's ten months and still up every 2-3 hours at night despite all our efforts. I've been successful at nap training him - he stirs after half an hour, I shh him, maybe pat his back, and he's back to napping another hour or two without ever fully coming awake. He acts totally different during most of his night wakings, though, and that's what makes me wonder. He's often arching his back, screaming and inconsolable for a while. We switched his formula to Enfamil Gentlease and that first night he slept EIGHT HOURS STRAIGHT (his previous record being 5 hours, months before, when he had a fever). But his sleep, while initially improved, just went back to normal over the next week or so. He's always choked on his bottle a lot, when he's upset at night his breath smells sour, and he does throw up once or twice a week. But maybe I'm just desperately trying to find a medical thing when he's just a crap sleeper and he'll grow out of it, like everyone tells me?? Ugggh. He'll be seeing the doctor on Tuesday to discuss.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Does he still need to eat overnight?
If not, try cutting out night feedings and see if that helps.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Sneeing Emu posted:

Do we change his routine and save money, or do we keep him where he is and pay a little more?
Routine is no problem. If you think you'll like the new place as well as you liked the old place, move along. I changed twice in 5 years and each change was better than the last. Don't fear change.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

photomikey posted:

See it's on her time so I wouldn't really even be able to go nor would I have to pay. I just wasn't sure if that would be too much for her. Plus the two classes combined are like 150 bucks a month. I guess I'll talk to her and see what classes are like.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

momtartin posted:

See it's on her time so I wouldn't really even be able to go nor would I have to pay. I just wasn't sure if that would be too much for her. Plus the two classes combined are like 150 bucks a month. I guess I'll talk to her and see what classes are like.

Wow, that's pricey. I have two kids that attend MyGym classes, and for both of them to attend a structured class once a week and 4 open play classes it's $160/4 weeks. It's by far the most expensive thing we do, as memberships to zoos and stuff are about $100 for a year, and they all offer free classes and events for kids.

But if it's not your money! :)

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

sheri posted:

Does he still need to eat overnight?
If not, try cutting out night feedings and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion- that's what we're currently trying. I'm certain he would do fine without at this point. We already attempt to get him back to sleep without a bottle, and for his calmer wakeups it works great. If he's fussy/crying/screaming, he'll sometimes go on for thirty minutes or more and only quiet down with a bottle (though often he's too upset and refuses the bottle entirely). We're also going to move his last daytime feed further from bedtime.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011
Big reminder why travel insurance for any holiday is a VERY good idea.

Just come back from Portugal for a one week break, and have had to leave the other half and my Daughter behind due to a lovely case of Chickenpox deciding to sprout up halfway through the week. Fortunately, travel insurance have covered accommodation and new flights for them, because the holiday rep was beyond useless. Put it this way, I'm still waiting to hear from her on availability of rooms in the hotel.

So on the good list - Travelsure Insurance, Vila Gale Hotels and our travel agents (Hays Travel in the UK if anyones interested) for all going above and beyond. On the poo poo List - Thomas Cook, who have now lost a lot of business from us and the in-laws because the rep was so useless.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Past two days when I woke up Arthur was trying to open the front door. It has a child resistant knob but he managed to break one earlier this week. Also it's locked but he may be able to figure that out. I suppose worst case scenario he opens it, the security door is next and has a double sided deadbolt that would be impossible for him to open, and my alarm would go off, but I sure as hell don't like it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

greatn posted:

Past two days when I woke up Arthur was trying to open the front door. It has a child resistant knob but he managed to break one earlier this week. Also it's locked but he may be able to figure that out. I suppose worst case scenario he opens it, the security door is next and has a double sided deadbolt that would be impossible for him to open, and my alarm would go off, but I sure as hell don't like it.

We installed two toddler locks on our doors, so I could have more peace of mind at night and during naptime (when I fall asleep with them)

The front door has this:

The back door has this:

We installed them on the doors high enough to keep out of the reach of toddlers, even if they are standing on a dining room chair.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Just came back from a month-long holiday to France. I was a bit worried about spending such a long time on the road with a not quite two-year-old, but it. was. AMAZING. None of us wanted to go back. Protip when travelling abroad - teaching your toddler a few basic phrases in the local lingo gets them free desserts by the bucketload. I'm pretty sure she thinks that "bonjour" means "I would like some cake". We're going to have a hard time weaning her off the daily ice-cream and oysters, lighting candles in everything from tiny Norman churches to massive Gothic cathedrals (this is the kid whose seventh or so word was "church!"), and trips to beaches, ancient monuments, safari parks and medieval castles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We get it, you're rich.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Haha, no, just European. I'm a student, even. We drove there and back. .We could do it because my husband saved up a month of his paternity leave, and I had time between my final exam and my summer job starting.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

greatn posted:

We get it, you're rich.

Europeans have mandated time off and they don't have to pay off massive medical bills when they have babbies. Also little to no student loans. Some countries even pay them to go to school.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ah, I was assuming you were an American (werewolf) in Paris

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Tigntink posted:

Europeans have mandated time off and they don't have to pay off massive medical bills when they have babbies. Also little to no student loans. Some countries even pay them to go to school.

The first part definitely applies to us, but I'm amassing student debt by the bucketload. We're very lucky that my husband has a steady government job with great parental benefits. This was our big holiday this year, since I'll be working all summer. I didn't mean to brag at all, I honestly didn't think about it that way since most of her favourite daily activities were free, it's just that she's been living in a church and icecream-loving toddlers paradise for the last month, with mum and dad around to play with all day, so I'm curious to see how she'll adapt to her regular "boring" kindergarten routine again :)

abuimak
Sep 7, 2006
I am the father of a wonderful 3 1/2 year old autistic child, she is 40lbs and tall for her age, I have another bundle of joy on the way soon.

I'm having a dilemma choosing a stroller for the both of them. With my daughters autism, she tends to run off very excitedly in any direction which isn't a huge issue now, but I know my wife will struggle trying to keep an eye on two children in this circumstance.

Fortunately, my daughter enjoys being in a stroller, I am having problems finding a tandum/side by side stroller that will fit my tall daughter and an infant carrier as well. I was hoping someone here could offer a suggestion. Thank you

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

abuimak posted:

Two in a bed

We've got a 3 year old whose pretty tall, and we picked up a Bugaboo Donkey off eBay. It fits the 3 year old when she's tired of walking, and the baby fits in fine. It can take a car seat or the standard attachments.

I'd suggest going to your friendly neighbourhood pram retailer, putting the 3 year old in, and seeing how comfy she is. The baby will fit in anything to be honest. Then buy on eBay or somewhere cheaper. Because gently caress spending £1200 on a new pram.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

abuimak posted:

I am the father of a wonderful 3 1/2 year old autistic child, she is 40lbs and tall for her age, I have another bundle of joy on the way soon.

I'm having a dilemma choosing a stroller for the both of them. With my daughters autism, she tends to run off very excitedly in any direction which isn't a huge issue now, but I know my wife will struggle trying to keep an eye on two children in this circumstance.

Fortunately, my daughter enjoys being in a stroller, I am having problems finding a tandum/side by side stroller that will fit my tall daughter and an infant carrier as well. I was hoping someone here could offer a suggestion. Thank you

I think the Mountain Buggy duet might work. It says up to age 4, but it also says max load 79lbs, so you probably could go longer than 4. The thing that I like for your situation is that there is a scooter accessory that attaches to the back that she could ride on when she gets too big for the stroller and the extra seat can be converted to a tote for extra storage. While riding on the scooter she wouldn't be contained by straps, but she would be between your/your wife's arms so that at least gives you an edge! I think something with an option like that would probably helpful in the long-term because she will size out of any stroller.

I'm not sure where she is on the spectrum, but I've had success with teaching preschoolers and school aged kids with autism to stay with a group. Maybe try a ribbon/rope with a handle tied to the stroller and teacher her if she is walking she must hold the handle. If she wants to go see something she has to ask mum/dad. You can start working on that now, before the baby, by attaching it to her current stroller. Then when you switch strollers and add in the baby, she'll already have the familiar cue. I definitely suggest practicing how to help mum/dad before the baby. Use a doll as a baby to show her how it will be extra work and you'll need her help. The more role-playing you can do, the better she'll be at adjusting when the new baby arrives. This is true of all kids, but especially so when adding in autism. Honestly, kids on the spectrum are often much more capable than we realize. You'll have challenges, but overall it can be great. Enjoy your awesome daughter and congrats on the new one on the way!

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
I'm not a parent but I've been living with some friends for the past year who are raising their first son who is 2. I've sort of been just observing them as good/bad examples should I have kids in the future. But there were a few things that made me uncomfortable that I wanted some more feedback on so I figured this thread would help. For the purposes of this story the names of my friends are Ron and Jenny.

The first thing is that Ron and Jenny argue about how to discipline their son, in front of their son. Ron is stereotypically tougher on his son, and Jenny is more nurturing. Ron will be quick to challenge the sincerity of his sons crying and loudly tell him he's faking it. Jenny is slow to discipline her son for stepping out of line and then purposefully re-crossing that line. Ron will sometimes mock his son by mimicking his crying and tantrums and also taunt his son with candy. At this point it's clear that their son favors his mother and will sometimes slap his father's knee and yell "bad daddy" at him after being scalded. And though I don't think that's a rare thing to hear from young kids who are getting in trouble I can't help but feel like this toddler already resents his father.

Apologies if this has already been addressed to death but as someone who lives in this environment and will be for at least another year I wouldn't mind some input.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

HatchetDown posted:

Apologies if this has already been addressed to death but as someone who lives in this environment and will be for at least another year I wouldn't mind some input.

This is clearly a dysfunctional, sad situation and the kid is caught in a weird maelstrom of immaturity and emotional chaos. It's not the worst thing I've heard, by far, but it touches on a ton of little things people do that negatively affect their kid in ways they may never imagine. Fighting in front of the kid. Inconsistent discipline. Minimizing a child's voice and emotional state.

It sucks to say this, and I don't mean to be an rear end in a top hat, but nothing you say or do will change this behavior. The last thing people want is unrequested parenting advice, especially from someone who doesn't have kids and doesn't "get it". I've done it myself, especially with my first kid and especially from people who didn't have kids, I just rolled my eyes at the advice or anecdote and plowed ahead. Now, ironically, with experience I can appreciate some of the things I was told in the beginning and I can see the value in advice from most sources, but at the time I was too wrapped up in my situation to let anything sink in.

So...my advice is actually to focus on the kid. Be as much of a positive, emotionally stable, bright beacon of sunshine to that kid as you can. Play with him, comfort him if you feel comfortable with that, ask him about his favorite toys or something. If all parties agree, maybe hang out with the kid or take him somewhere awesome. Just try to provide some level of consistent awesomeness, if you are up for it.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

abuimak posted:

Baby Jogger City Mini GT double with a car seat adapter is one of your best options. Tall seats, easy fold, can take 50lbs per seat, and for a high quality double stroller it's fairly reasonably priced. If you want to buy new I highly recommend looking for floor model and open box deals on strollerdepot.com. I just bought a double stroller through them as an open box, $130 cheaper than anyone else had it, and it was absolutely perfect and had clearly never even been assembled.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Ron sounds 22. At 32, he will be less of a dick. However, by 32, his son will be 12 and well into his career as a juvenile delinquent.

Ron's dad was exactly like this. So was Jenny's - that's why she picked Ron. Jenny is doing what her mom did when her dad did this 20 years ago.

The only thing that could break this cycle is if Ron and Jenny both sought some counseling - and not like 10 years of counseling you'd need to forget what you saw in 'Nam, but a hand full of sessions to learn some more appropriate parenting methods.

As the Bunny points out above, there is nothing you can do to successfully suggest this.

The only thing I wanted to add to the above is that you don't have kids and don't "get it", that part isn't just their defensive mechanisms, it's really true. You don't "get it". I thought I got it, but I was wrong, I didn't. Not that this has any bearing, I just wanted to point it out.

And I agree that the best thing you can do is be a positive role model, so that when Ron Jr craps out a kid at 22, he thinks "I shouldn't be a dick to my kid like my dad was, I should be more like HatchetDown".

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

So...my advice is actually to focus on the kid. Be as much of a positive, emotionally stable, bright beacon of sunshine to that kid as you can. Play with him, comfort him if you feel comfortable with that, ask him about his favorite toys or something. If all parties agree, maybe hang out with the kid or take him somewhere awesome. Just try to provide some level of consistent awesomeness, if you are up for it.

Luckily my mom is a teacher, so growing up around her classrooms has given me an understanding on how to speak to kids and a vague picture of child development. So far I think I've managed to be a positive role model in his life. The first five names he learned were Papa and Maymi (his grandparents), Mama and Daddy (obvious), and then there's me who he called HaHa and now intermittently calls me that and Nemo which is my nickname. I've already babysat for him many times, taken him on errands with me, so he's comfortable. Funny enough yesterday we were watching shark videos on YouTube together and he put his forehead against my temple and told me he loved me. :3: That being said I'm afraid that's going to wear on Ron because I've never heard him say the same to his Dad.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We were visiting my husband's sister this weekend. She never wants to have kids which I respect. Jasper wasn't feeling that great. He's just getting over an ear infection. He's just starting to be able to communicate how he's feeling, but if he's upset that goes right out the window. I made the comment that it will be nice when he can use language better so he can tell us what's wrong a little bit more than just screaming and throwing a tantrum and be able to explain things better and have him understand consequences better. My sister in law commented back "Yeah cause then if he's throwing a fit in public you can tell him if he calms down you'll give him chocolate or something."

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

HatchetDown posted:

Luckily my mom is a teacher, so growing up around her classrooms has given me an understanding on how to speak to kids and a vague picture of child development. So far I think I've managed to be a positive role model in his life. The first five names he learned were Papa and Maymi (his grandparents), Mama and Daddy (obvious), and then there's me who he called HaHa and now intermittently calls me that and Nemo which is my nickname. I've already babysat for him many times, taken him on errands with me, so he's comfortable. Funny enough yesterday we were watching shark videos on YouTube together and he put his forehead against my temple and told me he loved me. :3: That being said I'm afraid that's going to wear on Ron because I've never heard him say the same to his Dad.

See, this is all awesome! Nothing you say or do will change Ron's parenting choices, and I hate to say it but seeing how close the kid is with you might lead to some resentment from Ron towards you. But, in the long run, none of that matters because you are showing this little dude there is another way to be and that is invaluable. As long as you provide a soft place to land for this kid when he needs it, that's all you can do.

Good luck! And thanks for caring about this kid, too often folks see lovely stuff happening, shrug their shoulders and move on with their lives. :cheers:

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Thanks much I appreciate the input and I'm sure everything will be great in the long run.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

HatchetDown posted:

I'm not a parent but I've been living with some friends for the past year who are raising their first son who is 2. I've sort of been just observing them as good/bad examples should I have kids in the future. But there were a few things that made me uncomfortable that I wanted some more feedback on so I figured this thread would help. For the purposes of this story the names of my friends are Ron and Jenny.

The first thing is that Ron and Jenny argue about how to discipline their son, in front of their son. Ron is stereotypically tougher on his son, and Jenny is more nurturing. Ron will be quick to challenge the sincerity of his sons crying and loudly tell him he's faking it. Jenny is slow to discipline her son for stepping out of line and then purposefully re-crossing that line. Ron will sometimes mock his son by mimicking his crying and tantrums and also taunt his son with candy. At this point it's clear that their son favors his mother and will sometimes slap his father's knee and yell "bad daddy" at him after being scalded. And though I don't think that's a rare thing to hear from young kids who are getting in trouble I can't help but feel like this toddler already resents his father.

Ron reminds me of this Will Ferrell skit: http://www.hulu.com/watch/284575

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

Doctor says our son has reflux or an ulcer. We have medicine to try out! There's light at the end of the tunnel!! :dance:

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Sweet Gulch posted:

Doctor says our son has reflux or an ulcer. We have medicine to try out! There's light at the end of the tunnel!! :dance:

Keep in mind that there are multiple reflux medications that all work in slightly different ways so if the first one you try doesn't work, don't lose hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

Yep, thankfully his doctor explained that so we're keeping our expectations in check. I'm just thrilled that we finally have a problem with a definite solution. We've read books and gone to sleep workshops and talked to other parents, but nothing ever worked, and everyone kept telling us that it would get better or we'd have to cry it out. I wish I would have trusted myself and looked into it sooner.