Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
computoon1@aol.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

loving lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this got a chuckle out of me

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

i was offline for like a week and a half did i miss anything good?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

linux pirate wasnt posting for like a week and a half and it was pretty sweet

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

linux pirate wasnt posting for like a week and a half and it was pretty sweet

:saddowns:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

if you could hang out in the retro arcade with friends then id go buy one right now
don't worry, 3d models of virtual friends standing next to the arcade machine of your choice and cheering you on are in the works

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Linux Pirate posted:

i was offline for like a week and a half did i miss anything good?

people had opinions. it was a dark time

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

don't worry, 3d models of virtual friends standing next to the arcade machine of your choice and cheering you on are in the works

any of those virtual fuckers try putting a quarter up on the machine while I'm playing, I'll delete their rear end

also needs a Rush tape

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pham Nuwen posted:

also needs a Rush tape

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Palpek posted:

am I the only one who finds those rift demos where you're supposed to have some kind of meaningful interaction with a fake person really creepy? that summer lesson video gives me heebie-jeebies

it could look amazing and be really complex and all but knowing that it is a fake person running through a script to make me think they are real is nauseating when not in the context of a regular videogame

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

am I the only one who finds those rift demos where you're supposed to have some kind of meaningful interaction with a fake person really creepy? that summer lesson video gives me heebie-jeebies

gave me the boner-woners

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I will unironically put on an occulus and get one of those omnidirectional treadmills to play balttfield on

p soon fat gmaers will be a distant maemory

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

KoRMaK posted:

I will unironically put on an occulus and get one of those omnidirectional treadmills to play balttfield on

p soon fat gmaers will be a distant maemory

nah, shooters will be as all gamers go back to puzzle games since moving to play a game makes it less fun

i mean

if they wanted to play a game while moving, they'd be out in some local adult league recreational team

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Yeah think about how much you crouch, slide, jump and go prone in a Battlefield / Call of Duty match and then go play paintball for an afternoon and see how much your knees are killing you even if you're in good shape. I played for like 4 hours when I was an invincible teen and I couldn't get out of my chair that evening for ma jellylegs

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

if they wanted to play a game while moving, they'd be out in some local adult league recreational team

Yeah, thats the same thing alright

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PipeRifle posted:

Yeah think about how much you crouch, slide, jump and go prone in a Battlefield / Call of Duty match and then go play paintball for an afternoon and see how much your knees are killing you even if you're in good shape. I played for like 4 hours when I was an invincible teen and I couldn't get out of my chair that evening for ma jellylegs

Yeah, I believe you're in good shape... NOT!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
as usual, valeyard loudly jumping in with the back-asswords wrong opinions

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PipeRifle posted:

I was thinking of relating it to paintball too, but from what I've seen you dont have to crouch or run AS FASt as real life. to crouch/prone you press a button and run equals same amount of footstep but you have sprint button pressed. So each footstep is like pressing the W key.

so it will just be like light/med cardio at most if you want

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

at the date posted:

Yeah, I believe you're in good shape... NOT!

No but I was once and it murdered me then, too. I did fencing in college and it was the same thing because you have to do the weird "oops I poo poo my pants" half-crouch stance, for some reason even if you can run and jump and climb, the thing that's going to mess you up is sustained crouching

RIP my quads

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Pham Nuwen posted:

any of those virtual fuckers try putting a quarter up on the machine while I'm playing, I'll delete their rear end

also needs a Rush tape

very old (1998), very discontinued emulator Vector Dream has an optional plugin 'arcade ambiance' that simulates a classic arcade with noisy games and people talking and Journey playing over the PA.

it's not very good, but there was an attempt.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

oh are we posting COmpu-Toon again?

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Plugging a 1986 Mac Plus into the modern Web

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UBRUyofiiU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
as if he didnt know that you have to wiggle th emouse on old macs to get them to move

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
people that hate the ocean, even ironically, are Bad People

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

as usual, valeyard loudly jumping in with the back-asswords wrong opinions

If someone wants to play a shooty game, why would going out and play badminton or football be a substitute for some whicked omni treadmill vr shooting? Answer: it wouldn't.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the ocean loving owns I live 10m away from it I should go more often

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PipeRifle posted:

No but I was once and it murdered me then, too. I did fencing in college and it was the same thing because you have to do the weird "oops I poo poo my pants" half-crouch stance, for some reason even if you can run and jump and climb, the thing that's going to mess you up is sustained crouching

RIP my quads

It all depends what you're used to—to an extent. Right after Basic Training, for example, no amount of crouching and running within a 4-hour paintball game is going to faze you. It's all just muscle coordination. Bearing excessive loads on your back and knees, on the other hand, or kneeling on hard surfaces is always going to suck because that's just not what any of those body parts were built for.

In other words, you might have been king poo poo at fencing, but overall fitness doesn't transfer directly to every physical activity like a Stamina stat.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 23, 2015

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-wNyor3g98

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
YOSmeet 2015 shaping up to be a monster.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

gotta bumble around like a lovely stupid spikey moving rock fast

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

chome

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
virtual reality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXGsvlnn1Cs

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this was the game, when the sitdown cab had a nice bright monitor and a rumbly sub speaker under the seat, and the XY yoke was properly calibrated.

they're not cheap to buy now, but if I ever have the space I will buy one.

i dont think i ever knew about the sit-down cab :aaaaa:

now i need that AND hard drivin

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

I was pretty poo poo at fencing tbh

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kn6c1SLmtE

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Panty Saluter posted:

i dont think i ever knew about the sit-down cab :aaaaa:

now i need that AND hard drivin

lol I was Hard Drivin' champ in the seaside arcade near where I grew up, best ever was about 14 laps of the stunt track, either coasting the line in neutral with 00 seconds left or making up a second every lap. I think I learned stick driving so easily from ploughing money into that thing :o:

Also the sitdown X-Wing made such a difference, it being an enclosed cabinet with all decals on and decent speakers.

• Locked thread