Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I did an entire book->zeta relic in about two weeks after zeta came out, and finished sticking the last of the crit/det 4's on it a week before HW.

Then they nerfed Det. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Have they said when the new job-specific armor will be added? I'm a bit disappointed that it's not available out the gate like AF1 was, and I'd be more disappointed if the Gubal Library gear wasn't so snazzy looking.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
Maybe I'm a lion.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Moldy Taxes posted:

and I'd be more disappointed if the Gubal Library gear wasn't so snazzy looking.

Last night we had 4 minutes to beat the last boss before maintenance, PLD chest armor dropped for me but the 4th person in the group was sitting there watching the cutscene instead of rolling and I really wanted credit to proceed with the MSQ so I left :negative:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Tenzarin posted:

They should remove MCH ammo and replace it with how old-timey muskets worked!

Here's their 3 new skills! replace man with cat girl, solution found. Mount and blade but with cat girls.

So basically, replace MCH with the spell Flare? :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

hey ffxiv thread, what is your dark knight's theme song?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Moldy Taxes posted:

Have they said when the new job-specific armor will be added? I'm a bit disappointed that it's not available out the gate like AF1 was, and I'd be more disappointed if the Gubal Library gear wasn't so snazzy looking.

It's most likely going to be the Esoterics tome gear. So when Alex Savage opens in 4 weeks.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Minrad posted:

I get what they were going for with MCH and Ammunition, but they should've just made reload tie into bonus effects or more obvious damage increases rather than make your main combo work. Like, make ammo double the effect of hot shot, or make your main combo apply a dot or something else.

GB and WM are both hosed, but that's almost an entirely different barrel of monkeys.

Yeah it looks good on paper but falls apart quickly in practice.

The big problem is the random extra potency procs. It's like they were going for that OR the ammunition system and ended up throwing both in because reasons. The end result is just messy and encourages nonsense like ignoring your rotation and spamming your 1-2 shot to get the proc for 2 -3 before Reloading THEN doing the combo properly. It also introduces wild variances in your overall DPS as even if you do the combo rotation as normal, the damage swings varies so much between having procs/ammo/both or not. Then there is the problem of using anything BUT your basic 1-2-3 shots is a near complete waste of an ammunition stack.

It only compounds the issue of the overall sluggish damage MCH put out in general even if they are absolutely perfect with their execution.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 23, 2015

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

KoB posted:

Last night we had 4 minutes to beat the last boss before maintenance, PLD chest armor dropped for me but the 4th person in the group was sitting there watching the cutscene instead of rolling and I really wanted credit to proceed with the MSQ so I left :negative:
Yeesh, that's rough. I've gotten the body and hand pieces, and I kind of want to go back to farm up the rest, but I'd feel like a big jerk Needing pieces that I already have Yasha in. Definitely gonna farm from 59 to 60 in there once my PLD or DRK are 60, though.

Tsurupettan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMP7k6tECKA
This on loop.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tsurupettan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7c-n4k3XrU

Give into your anger your rage. It makes you stronger. Gives you focus.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

triple sulk posted:

Apparently the Mac version is unusable to the point that people are attempting to get refunds. Perhaps this isn't surprising but pretty shameful if they're charging full price for it and the game doesn't run at all.

Edit: And the game doesn't appear to run at all unless you change your OS X settings to allow apps to be run from anywhere since the app binary isn't from an identified developer.

I just got to see it first hand and it's really really bad. The friend who was running it played on Bootcamp (dual-install windows) and they went from being able to play it in 2560x1440 resolution to not being able to get better than ~25 FPS by turning literally every option as low as it can go and running the game at a lower-than-monitor resolution. It's also apparently buggy.

It really bummed me out because he was psyched to play Heavensward. It's especially hosed up because it isn't just some throw-away wrapper with the implied caveat-emptor, you have to buy the Mac version in a bundle for 60 dollars for a totally unoptimized, broken wrapper. Do Not Buy.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Axle_Stukov posted:

It's most likely going to be the Esoterics tome gear. So when Alex Savage opens in 4 weeks.

The next patch is that close already?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The next patch is that close already?

It'll a 3.05 patch like 2.55. 3.1 is probably not due until September/October.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Tsurupettan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw

So anyway, I just got to the Aery and people said this games story was like...grim? Like literally every single major dire story beat in 2.5 has been undone or resolved with little to no real struggle? Like the Sultana is just alive, you and Raubahn are cleared of all charges, the abdication of the throne is delayed due to the the impending invasion like?? idk.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 23, 2015

peloazul
May 11, 2010

:catdrugs:

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

Apparently the Mac version is unusable to the point that people are attempting to get refunds. Perhaps this isn't surprising but pretty shameful if they're charging full price for it and the game doesn't run at all.

Edit: And the game doesn't appear to run at all unless you change your OS X settings to allow apps to be run from anywhere since the app binary isn't from an identified developer.

Source for people bitching about it?

I will try it out myself after work (and Hellfire Citadel :sadwave:). I admit, I laughed a bit at the 14.2GB download, followed by a ~8GB patch. Wtf yoshi-p.

Re: signing, I saw the extended code-sign verification when I launched it the first time (to initiate the patch). Took a few minutes, what with the multiple GBs of hashing.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sour that female Au Ra have exactly one hair style that shows off earrings and it's the damned braided pigtails.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Rei_ posted:

So anyway, I just got to the Aery and people said this games story was like...grim? Like literally every single major dire story beat in 2.5 has been undone or resolved with little to no real struggle? Like the Sultana is just alive, you and Raubahn are cleared of all charges, the abdication of the throne is delayed due to the the impending invasion like?? idk.

Just wait til The Vault. And if you're like me you'll hate that they made 2.55 totally pointless.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tsurupettan posted:

Guns of Brixton, obviously

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Rei_ posted:

Well I found it a more existential grim for the first "Act" (which ends at the Aery), where you have the plucky party trekking through the wilderness to find the one Good Dragon who wants peace to try and resolve this war without bloodshed, and there are trials and obstacles and character growth.

And if this were a standard final fantasy you'd reach the Good Dragon and figure out how to resolve things happily but you get there and the Good Dragon is all "no, really, we loving hate you for legitimately understandable reasons and just because I'm not out there murdering as many of you as I can doesn't mean I'm interested in helping you. Piss off." and you're left with no good options but to continue a cycle of violence.

And then more stuff happens but you haven't gotten to it yet.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Calihan posted:

Yeah it looks good on paper but falls apart quickly in practice.

The big problem is the random extra potency procs. It's like they were going for that OR the ammunition system and ended up throwing both in because reasons. The end result is just messy and encourages nonsense like ignoring your rotation and spamming your 1-2 shot to get the proc for 2 -3 before Reloading THEN doing the combo properly. It also introduces wild variances in your overall DPS as even if you do the combo rotation as normal, the damage swings varies so much between having procs/ammo/both or not. Then there is the problem of using anything BUT your basic 1-2-3 shots is a near complete waste of an ammunition stack.

It only compounds the issue of the overall sluggish damage MCH put out in general even if they are absolutely perfect with their execution.

Yeah, even if they buffed the potency numbers to fix damage output, having your combo be a coin flip to even happen just doesn't feel good. I was hoping ammunition would be like MY ANIME and using a caster pistol from outlaw star, but instead it just enables you to do regular dps. Like, how cool would it have been if MCH just got a regular combo instead, and then had different types of ammunition that interacted with each other to produce more damage so the skill lay in correctly swapping ammo in and out. It would have been unique instead of "bard with a gun and worse damage."

Also I dig the math chat, we should have more math chat because learning stuff like how AAs work is cool.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guG9cVs3ms4

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
The post-credits scene is loving hilarious. Like, it's supposed to be serious or whatever, but how can EVIL GENERIC YOU ON THE MOON not be hilarious in every way

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just FYI, the XP rewards for exploration and challenge log entries do NOT scale beyond level 50, so don't feel like you need to "save" them for level 59.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No gently caress you

i never finished the Alex grind :negative:

If it makes you feel any better, maps give five Alex per now and they only cost 75 poetics!

(I just did the last 40 Alex over the weekend).

Reports seem to indicate they made everything about five times faster for the old relic progress including drop rates and light.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tsurupettan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LitDGyxFh4

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah, even if they buffed the potency numbers to fix damage output, having your combo be a coin flip to even happen just doesn't feel good. I was hoping ammunition would be like MY ANIME and using a caster pistol from outlaw star, but instead it just enables you to do regular dps. Like, how cool would it have been if MCH just got a regular combo instead, and then had different types of ammunition that interacted with each other to produce more damage so the skill lay in correctly swapping ammo in and out. It would have been unique instead of "bard with a gun and worse damage."

Also I dig the math chat, we should have more math chat because learning stuff like how AAs work is cool.

I have to admit, seeing how Dark Arts for DRK works how I thought Ammunition would work for MCH makes me more than a little jealous.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love this game.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VILgSsesD0 For anyone that doesn't get the reference there. (Also the obvious backwards talking bit from FF1)

That's loving amazing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Servers crash right as we kill the octopus boss in the second dungeon...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I love this game.

FF1, South Park, and The Simpsons in one sweep. Very nice.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Is there still an active Excalibur/DGKK presence? I played a bit back when ARR first came out but haven't really touched the game since that first month or two. Noticed that the expansion comes out today so was thinking about giving it another try. Not sure I can even remember how to play, but don't think I can face the idea of levelling a new character (and I never even hit cap on any class)...

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

We're so active these days that we had to spring up a 3rd FC and there are still people all through the level spectrum. A lot of us are 30+ because of the new classes, but it's not like that's a preventative from helping.

Plus when you hit the end of the Main Story Quest for 2.0/2.1/2.2 etc people are still willing to run the old stuff to help people get to the new.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

bonewitch posted:

The post-credits scene is loving hilarious. Like, it's supposed to be serious or whatever, but how can EVIL GENERIC YOU ON THE MOON not be hilarious in every way

Really?! At the end of the Heavensward trailer, when they mention the Warrior of Darkness, I was joking with people that there was gonna be an evil doppelganger of you. I'm really sad that's the case for real.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

cadenza posted:

Is there still an active Excalibur/DGKK presence?

Hahaha ha ha haaa haa :eng99:

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity

The Chairman posted:

Hahaha ha ha haaa haa :eng99:

So... no? I haven't played in 18+ months and have no idea.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

cadenza posted:

There's two FCs full to the brim, and one more with about 100 dudes in it. That's about 1100 people, if you're counting.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

cadenza posted:

Real answer: Read the OP, there's over 1000 goons regularly playing on Excalibur.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Tsurupettan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn58-Nl9NYw

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

hes adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
By virtue of this being a legitimately good MMO and the guilds fostering a generally helpful and positive atmosphere, this game has actually inverted the standard goon MMO population decline.

• Locked thread