Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Dr. Stab posted:

Why would their board go away?

Because you're a control deck who likely wiped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

End of Life Guy posted:

Because you're a control deck who likely wiped it.

Then what's the tradeoff here? Play boardwipes and don't play the card that makes them draw 7 cards.
Also Tainted Remedy + Beacon of Immortality combo here I come.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man these spoilers are great.
Not Timetwister is my favorite.
Hopefully we get to see a Quicken variant that is disgustingly overcosted in the next few sets.

Edit: loving phone.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 23, 2015

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

suicidesteve posted:

So is this entire set just bad remakes of cards they won't put in standard? Stoneforge, Noble Hierarch, Demonic Tutor, Timetwister, Opalescence, Bolt. I'm waiting for the bad Goyf, bad Confidant, bad Swords (to Plowshares of of This and That to go with bad Stoneforge.)

When they said "origins" everyone thought we'd get a reprint of BoP. Instead we're getting remixes of old cards, time spiral block style. Not gonna lie, I like it. :shobon:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

Hey whoa quirion dryad is the much closer comparison plus this is at least interestingly comparable to dryad.

:rip: quirion dryad :qq:

It's closer to Taurean Mauler.

Bring back Quirion Dryad. That card's great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

It's closer to Taurean Mauler.

Bring back Quirion Dryad. That card's great.

It's kinda sad that they reprinted it in M13 and it barely got any play, even with RTR right after.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Boxman posted:

When they said "origins" everyone thought we'd get a reprint of BoP. Instead we're getting remixes of old cards, time spiral block style. Not gonna lie, I like it. :shobon:

It's a neat reboot flavor take, yeah. Maybe a not flying baby bird could tap for limited mana.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Boxman posted:

If the card is good then it's a neat callback, but if it's then it's kind of like being flipped off (Ignoble Hierarch)

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

TheKingofSprings posted:

If the card is good then it's a neat callback, but if it's then it's kind of like being flipped off (Ignoble Hierarch)

You really wanna force that nickname don't you.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
This is completely off the top of my head after looking at the Day's Undoing spoiler. Thoughts?

creatures (14):
—————
4 Delver of Secrets
3 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
3 Guramog Angler
4 Notion Thief

Sorcery (12)
————
4 Day’s Undoing
4 Serum Visions
4 Inquisition of Kozilek

Instant (8)
———
3 Doom Blade
2 Psionic Blast
3 Far/Away

Enchantment (4)
——
4 Leyline of Anticipation

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

This is completely off the top of my head after looking at the Day's Undoing spoiler. Thoughts?

Feels like if it doesn't get its very specific set of cards at the right time, then it's just going to fall apart from pressure from more consistent decks. Part of what makes, say, Twin good is that even if it isn't do its instant death combo, it's still a very refined and powerful tempo deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Needs thought scour and/or noble hierarch at least.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pyronic posted:

You really wanna force that nickname don't you.

The one I really want to force is Timeshitter, I'm just going along with the crowd for that other one

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ramos posted:

Feels like if it doesn't get its very specific set of cards at the right time, then it's just going to fall apart from pressure from more consistent decks. Part of what makes, say, Twin good is that even if it isn't do its instant death combo, it's still a very refined and powerful tempo deck.

Yeah, reasonable, I'm just spitballing. I want to build a deck around a day's undoing / notion thief shell, though. What would you do?

Zoness posted:

Needs thought scour and/or noble hierarch at least.

Splashing green also puts abrupt decay in there instead of Doom Blade.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Yeah, reasonable, I'm just spitballing. I want to build a deck around a day's undoing / notion thief shell, though. What would you do?

It curves better from Spirit of the Labyrinth as long as we're bringing up janky ideas :getin:

It looks like it would play well with Aether Vial, too

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I mean noble hierarch isn't a light investment and a bit unusual for a delver shell so i think thats a tradeoff there. Thought Scour lets you expand in the dimension of delving out tasigur or angler which is still your primary plan here then graveyard size permitting you can delve away garbo cards and then daze undoing a new hand or something. Noble Hierarch would let you play a bant-ish shell where you ramp bigger threats and use day's undonning to refill your hand after committing more to the board but you can't really play knight of the reliquary with day-z undoting so that kind of sucks. The idea in either case is to get ahead on board and then use the draw 7 to keep building on that lead, in the abstract.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

creatures (14):
—————
4 Delver of Secrets
3 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
3 Guramog Angler
4 Notion Thief

Sorcery (12)
————
4 Day’s Undoing
4 Serum Visions
4 Inquisition of Kozilek

Instant (8)
———
3 Doom Blade
2 Psionic Blast
3 Far/Away

Enchantment (4)
——
4 Leyline of Anticipation

Delve and Days Undoing only work together if you have a Notion Thief out, and only if you do it on your turn. Otherwise Day's Undoing shuffles your graveyard in to your library.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

I respect the one that actually earned its abilities instead of being born with them.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Aside from the problem with delve mentioned, I think the deck should largely stay working with instants. That way when you play the card you can be reloaded for the opponent's turn. It's why I immediately thought of counterburn in standard at least. Might work well with faeries, actually? I say really, really hesitantly.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I think the leylines are bad, you're not going to survive if you're putting off the combo until turn 7. A cantrip would probably be better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I respect the one that actually earned its abilities instead of being born with them.

I too appreciate the card being a symbolic representation of the 99% being brutally crushed by the 1%

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

His power comes from being acknowledged by others rather than earning recognition and he goes on not to use his power to enable others. That's not a heroic attribute, it's selfish and vainglorious. He's clearly lost his way.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
lots of dumb/bad cards for origins

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

With all the remixes of old cards, good or bad, that they're printing in this set, I can't wait for the remixed Time Walk.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think Tainted Remedy is a good sideboard card.

Cards I would use it against: Rhino, Courser, Seeker of the Way, Soulfire, Mastery of the Unseen, Dromoka.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

What makes this Heirarch so special though? Plenty of other creatures deal damage to players without getting renown. I tell you, inter-planes media just isn't the same these days. You shouldn't need a drat +1/+1 counter just for doing your job.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Trilas posted:

What makes this Heirarch so special though? Plenty of other creatures deal damage to players without getting renown. I tell you, inter-planes media just isn't the same these days. You shouldn't need a drat +1/+1 counter just for doing your job.

He's good at politics, alright? A real man of the people.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
New Hierarch reminds me a little of Experiment One, though worse past the early turns obviously.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Liliana made deals with how many demons? We've got a depiction of Griselbrand and a release of another demon. What's left for her?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Oraculum Animi posted:

Liliana made deals with how many demons? We've got a depiction of Griselbrand and a release of another demon. What's left for her?

4 in all, and I think the demon in this set was the last one alive?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ramos posted:

Aside from the problem with delve mentioned, I think the deck should largely stay working with instants. That way when you play the card you can be reloaded for the opponent's turn. It's why I immediately thought of counterburn in standard at least. Might work well with faeries, actually? I say really, really hesitantly.

Timeshitter will work best with cheap cards that you play a lot of in a turn, and yeah, instant speed probably works best

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Why would their board go away?

Because I'd been awake for 10 minutes and am illiterate. Whoops.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samael posted:

Can someone translate this? It's something like-

2G 1/1

Trample

When a player casts a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on this thing.

I will be putting this and the new Hierarch in my Skullbriar Tiny Leaders deck. Huzzah for counters!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

4 in all, and I think the demon in this set was the last one alive?

Kothophed and Griselbrand were already dead as of the last time we saw Liliana, and the other two aren't mentioned.

Origins isn't "current" so it has Kothophed in it, but he was killed by Liliana when she took the Chain Veil prior to Innistrad's story arc.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The new Timetwister seems probably bad but I like the notion of using it to refill your hand in a very aggro deck with alternate-casting cost / cheap poo poo, either affinity or even a delver shell that is gonna love drawing a new grip of forces/dazes/misdirections. Ending your turn after casting it in your second main does not seem terrible so long as you can capitalize on the cards afterwards.

The new demonic tutor seems pretty strong for storm, and would fix a lot of the consistency issues that modern storm has too (although it would gently caress up the mana).

the "if an opponent would gain life, they lose it instead" card seems like it would be useful in legacy fringe deck "false cure". You can dump a lot of life on an opponent for free with that deck :D

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ZeButler posted:

With all the remixes of old cards, good or bad, that they're printing in this set, I can't wait for the remixed Time Walk.

We just got that in the last set. It was bad so everyone forgot about it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

We just got that in the last set. It was bad so everyone forgot about it.

Well, no, we got a few callbacks to characters in the storyline as well as several guest designed cards, but no time spiral-esque call backs. Also, I liked M15 a lot and felt it also added a lot to the metagame as well as to casual decks?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The new tutor won't see play guys. Modern can't support the color, it already chokes hard on blue. Sure you could cast it in legacy, but what would tutor for?
Legacy already has 2 mana tutors in the form of burning wish and the hellbent one who's name escapes me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

Well, no, we got a few callbacks to characters in the storyline as well as several guest designed cards, but no time spiral-esque call backs. Also, I liked M15 a lot and felt it also added a lot to the metagame as well as to casual decks?

I meant the 8UUU Delve Time Walk. No one remembers it because it's really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sigma-X posted:

The new Timetwister seems probably bad but I like the notion of using it to refill your hand in a very aggro deck with alternate-casting cost / cheap poo poo, either affinity or even a delver shell that is gonna love drawing a new grip of forces/dazes/misdirections. Ending your turn after casting it in your second main does not seem terrible so long as you can capitalize on the cards afterwards.

The new demonic tutor seems pretty strong for storm, and would fix a lot of the consistency issues that modern storm has too (although it would gently caress up the mana).

the "if an opponent would gain life, they lose it instead" card seems like it would be useful in legacy fringe deck "false cure". You can dump a lot of life on an opponent for free with that deck :D

I agree, it actually seems strong if "end your turn" is what you were going to do if you didn't cast it. I don't know if that makes it good enough (maybe in Control, which operates at Instant speed otherwise?), but it's certainly strong.

• Locked thread