Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Erwin posted:

Yes, profit over safety most definitely caused that Amtrak train to hit the truck that stopped on the crossing instead of hopping over it like trains in Europe do.

You mean europe where we try to minimize the number of crossings, even if that means spending more on building bridges and underpasses, which invariably means that the profits of the RoW companies goes down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

SybilVimes posted:

You mean europe where we try to minimize the number of crossings, even if that means spending more on building bridges and underpasses, which invariably means that the profits of the RoW companies goes down?

I dare you to try and count the at grade crossings along...say the Vale OR route to the sea. Which most of those you couldn't tunnel, and the bridges would have to be impressive because EQUIPMENT.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm pretty sure British Rail would have tried to build a truck-hoppin' train if they thought they could have gotten away with it.
Channeling Axeman Jim:

But due to a strike at the one good factory which resulted in its closure, the construction was shifted for political reasons to a tractor factory in New Bunglingshire On Sea which made the train out of fiberboard and leftover parts from the Austin Maxi, and the project was a colossal embarrassment.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cygni posted:

Channeling Axeman Jim:

But due to a strike at the one good factory which resulted in its closure, the construction was shifted for political reasons to a tractor factory in New Bunglingshire On Sea which made the train out of fiberboard and leftover parts from the Austin Maxi, and the project was a colossal embarrassment.

It was then replaced by un-refurbished equipment that serviced the route two generations prior until a new, entirely temporary stopgap design could be produced (which is still in service to this day).

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

MikeCrotch posted:

Holy poo poo the US, what is with all the rail crashes? Is it just because PROFIT is king on American railways and everything else, including safety, comes second? All these crashes remind me of the late 90's/early 00's in Britain where Railtracks raging incompetence caused horrific crashes to be in vogue. Is the government looking to step in and sort this poo poo out like the UK government did, or is it not even on the radar?

How can you get angry at a 'for profit' company for making economic business decisions? That's like getting mad at banks for not providing loans to every single person that applies.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

How can you get angry at a 'for profit' company for making economic business decisions? That's like getting mad at banks for not providing loans to every single person that applies.

I don't mind the for profit part, I get it you need to make money.

But don't blow smoke up my rear end touting how we are going to be so safe and that safety is number 1 priority, but when it comes to actually implementing an idea that may cost a few bucks, its a huge debacle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There is a difference between turning a profit and turning a profit at the sake of everything else the company needs to function properly.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bennyfactor posted:

It was then replaced by un-refurbished equipment that serviced the route two generations prior until a new, entirely temporary stopgap design could be produced (which is still in service to this day).

... but which is finally and slowly being phased out for an AnsaldoBreda design that, while better, has a tendency to rust if exposed to fog - and they can't replace everything this decade anyway, for contractual reasons.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 10, 2015

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Computer viking posted:

... but which is finally and slowly being phased out for an AnsaldoBreda design that, while better, has a tendency to rust if exposed to fog - and they can't replace everything this decade anyway, for contractual reasons.

Hahaha even British Rail wouldn't be dumb enough to order AnsaldoBreda products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AnsaldoBreda#Controversies posted:

In May 2013, the Belgian railway company cancelled its contract with AnsaldoBreda, after a technical examination of a pair of V250 train halves. The inspections yielded 1159 and 2019 deficiency points, where a total of 9 per full train was the permitted tolerance before rejection. The report mentioned, amongst others, the following defects: during a test run, an iron plate of the roof bent towards the overhead wire, axles were severely rusted, with a risk of breaking in moving trains, the brakes were not suited for high-speed trains, wiring was not shielded from rain and snow, a bottom plate came loose and fell down on the railtrack, batteries overheated in carriages that had been already taken out of service, resulting in fire and subsequent scorches in the carriages, earthing points were wrongly connected, causing electric driven heavy oxidation, the door sliding mechanisms were faulty, assembly varied from train to train.
:catstare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SybilVimes posted:

FYI, the united states is 3.8 million square miles. We have a population of 319 million.

The EU is 4.4 million square miles. You have a population of 507 million. That's fully 40% higher population density.

There also is that little thing called WW1/WW2 that flattened half the loving cities and allowed them to be rebuilt at least partially in a sane, modern way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Hahaha even British Rail wouldn't be dumb enough to order AnsaldoBreda products.

:catstare:
At last count the Fyra debacle cost the dutch railways like 770M euros.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The US also moves 2.4 billion tonne-kms of freight a year, while all of the EU combined moves .4 billion. And much of the most strained US freight corridors right now are long stretches of track out in middle of fuckin' nowhere. For example, Lisbon all the way to Denmark is a shorter distance than LA to Chicago... and the vast majority of the land between LA and Chicago is 'middle of fuckin' nowhere'.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

FYI, the united states is 3.8 million square miles. We have a population of 319 million.

The EU is 4.4 million square miles. You have a population of 507 million. That's fully 40% higher population density.

There also is that little thing called WW1/WW2 that flattened half the loving cities and allowed them to be rebuilt at least partially in a sane, modern way.

This doesn't even tell the whole truth, since large portions of the US have extremely low densities, and even urban areas in the US tend to be significantly less dense than in Europe.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Cygni posted:

The US also moves 2.4 billion tonne-kms of freight a year, while all of the EU combined moves .4 billion. And much of the most strained US freight corridors right now are long stretches of track out in middle of fuckin' nowhere. For example, Lisbon all the way to Denmark is a shorter distance than LA to Chicago... and the vast majority of the land between LA and Chicago is 'middle of fuckin' nowhere'.

You should probably recheck your numbers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

My bad, chopped off some zeros. It's 2.4 trillion for US, .400 trillion for EU. Same ratio, but I was clearly not a math major.

Heres some data that actually shows it as 2.8 for US and .327 for EU, but there some wiggle room in the various numbers from diff people.

http://www.uic.org/com/IMG/pdf/cp18_uic_stats_2010_en-2.pdf

vains
May 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is a difference between turning a profit and turning a profit at the sake of everything else the company needs to function properly.

What does closing at-grade crossings have to do with a company functioning properly?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I don't mind the for profit part, I get it you need to make money.

But don't blow smoke up my rear end touting how we are going to be so safe and that safety is number 1 priority, but when it comes to actually implementing an idea that may cost a few bucks, its a huge debacle.

I think you told me that safety/the emphasis on safety/etc is just a snow job anyways. If not you, then one of the other T&E employees.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm sure if it wasn't me, it was one of the other crews.

Most of the safety programs are just lip service to the feds.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Obligatory "the best railway safety feature is building a pipeline" post.

vains
May 26, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Obligatory "the best railway safety feature is building a pipeline" post.

Agreed. But, even if one were built that serviced Bakaan crude, there would still be crude unit trains running.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm sure if it wasn't me, it was one of the other crews.

Most of the safety programs are just lip service to the feds.

Only loosely related but: Read CFR Title 49 part 200. It was kind of surprising to see how many operating rules are mandated by the feds.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=de82145e1a271ba44c4d575052d0e010&mc=true&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title49/49cfrv4_02.tpl

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Anyone know why the news and FRA has been downplaying the windshield impacts of the train that crashed and the two other trains in the area in the minutes leading up to it?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Agreed. But, even if one were built that serviced Bakaan crude, there would still be crude unit trains running.

Only loosely related but: Read CFR Title 49 part 200. It was kind of surprising to see how many operating rules are mandated by the feds.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=de82145e1a271ba44c4d575052d0e010&mc=true&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title49/49cfrv4_02.tpl

I wasn't referring to the actual operating rules, that I know is a fed thing. I am talking about safety programs and "empowerment" that the company likes to tote around. Often times, its a knee jerk reaction to something that happens, instead of actually being proactive.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Anyone know why the news and FRA has been downplaying the windshield impacts of the train that crashed and the two other trains in the area in the minutes leading up to it?

They need a scapegoat. For all we know a rock hit the window, this guy went into a seizure, and sped up.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They need a scapegoat. For all we know a rock hit the window, this guy went into a seizure, and sped up.

You never know how people will react to stress. He can't even remember. The other two trains being hit minutes before and lets focus on a cellphone and expensive technology instead of I don't know.. another person.

"But but but that would be expensive!"

So tell me, when they pulled that second person out of the cab how much did they decrease ticket prices?

So you shifted the risk to the public without benefiting the public? Ahh I see.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I wasn't referring to the actual operating rules, that I know is a fed thing. I am talking about safety programs and "empowerment" that the company likes to tote around. Often times, its a knee jerk reaction to something that happens, instead of actually being proactive.

I knew what you meant. I was reading about blue flag rules and didn't realize how much the federales mandate.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

another person.

"But but but that would be expensive!"

So tell me, when they pulled that second person out of the cab how much did they decrease ticket prices?

So you shifted the risk to the public without benefiting the public? Ahh I see.

Well look at the metro link crash. 1 man in the cab.... I mean I know 2 eyes can gently caress up just as bad as 1 set... But it can at least reduce.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well look at the metro link crash. 1 man in the cab.... I mean I know 2 eyes can gently caress up just as bad as 1 set... But it can at least reduce.

As long as the second isn't a complete retard, like Air France Flight 447.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InterceptorV8 posted:

As long as the second isn't a complete retard, like Air France Flight 447.

Have you met the people I work with?

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

they're probably sleeping in the cab

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Same poo poo different name on the door I bet.

WOOP WOOP STALL WOOP WOOP STALL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECeKM1OvgYU

Oh god the fuckin' airbus is annoying as gently caress.

Don't they get mad when you put a toolbox on the "are you awake button"?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Right now they are. loving hell, its a railroad that can handle 90 trains a day and they have killed almost every train out here... And there's only 36 trains on the line up. loving incompetence left and right.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Or even worse...

texting. Ban this sick filth

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Right now they are. loving hell, its a railroad that can handle 90 trains a day and they have killed almost every train out here... And there's only 36 trains on the line up. loving incompetence left and right.

I hear grumblings from my yard jobs, but they're insulated from the retardation to an extent I guess.

What is absolutely absurd is seeing a guy that's just barely marked up instructing a guy fresh out of the REDI how to do the job. This is my new pet peeve because they're all clueless and slow.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

I hear grumblings from my yard jobs, but they're insulated from the retardation to an extent I guess.

What is absolutely absurd is seeing a guy that's just barely marked up instructing a guy fresh out of the REDI how to do the job. This is my new pet peeve because they're all clueless and slow.

Blind leading the blind. loving scary.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

So you guys work for CR England now or what?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
You had one job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6pKu0eLgPY&t=156s

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

I've not seen a crossing like that but who the hell would pass you when one was coming up :psyduck:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So, was it just poor timing and a train was coming, or did the lights go on because a piece of the cantilever completed the circuit?

Edit: Nevermind, only watched the impact and didn't have sound on.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

You had one job.

Wait, those guys actually do something? I thought it was a "fat out of shape old dude in a beat-rear end buick lesabre with a $50 flea market grubby second hand yellow light bar and four magmount antennas" pension plan.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

kastein posted:

Wait, those guys actually do something? I thought it was a "fat out of shape old dude in a beat-rear end buick lesabre with a $50 flea market grubby second hand yellow light bar and four magmount antennas" pension plan.

As far as I know, it isn't the job of the lead or trailing car, but is either up to the person who applies for the oversize load permit or the person who grants it to verify that the load will clear obstacles on the road. That said, this sounds like the classic juris-my-dictional fuckup where gates had been added to what was formerly a primitive crossing, but the paperwork didn't get through to the right people on time.

Also: What's up with this? Was CP holding out on the gov't or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CP is holding out on one government body or another at any given time.

Also maybe this:
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/montreal/cp-rail-refuses-to-pay-for-lac-mégantic-cleanup-1.1375503