Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I can't imagine playing any game on a console. I've never owned a console. I barely understand consoles as a concept.

Expand your mind, dude. :2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

zooted heh posted:

but will the game have tommy guns?

yeah sure why not

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Dialogue wheels are bad because sometimes I just want to say "no thanks" but the dialogue wheel says "NO AND ALSO gently caress YOU YOU'RE A PIECE OF poo poo"

What the wheel said: "This interview is over."
What I expected: "This interview is over." *walks away.*
What I got: *right hook*

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

*goes to a bar in Diamond City to get the feel of the place*
*sit down next to a fellow wastelander, hoping to buy him a drink and he tells me about the place*
[GLASS HIM]

sout
Apr 24, 2014

> Yes
"No."

gently caress.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
All melee will actually be wrestling moves taught to you by a ghoulified John Cena.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

Yeah actually if you say 'this interview is over' you walk away, if you say 'time to shut you up' you punch her. Also the paragon is always the top option, the renegade is the bottom option. If you pick 'time to shut you up' and were surprised when he hit her then idk.

And in ME2 you punch her only if you click when the renegade thing pops up.

Seems fine to me.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

You say that as if it's a bad thing

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

the entire "dialogue option results in completely unexpected result" thing is uncommon in practice but people apparently like the meme so it doesn't matter i guess

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
-Yes
-Maybe
>gently caress YOU YOU FUCKIN gently caress, YOU ARE A LIAR NOW DIE.

"No, I must regrettably decline your request sir. Now good day to you."

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I can't begin to imagine the hellscape of social anxiety and misunderstandings you must navigate on a daily basis if the ME dialogue options confused you so drat much and so often.

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah actually if you say 'this interview is over' you walk away, if you say 'time to shut you up' you punch her. Also the paragon is always the top option, the renegade is the bottom option. If you pick 'time to shut you up' and were surprised when he hit her then idk.

And in ME2 you punch her only if you click when the renegade thing pops up.

Seems fine to me.

'It's time to shut you up!' is so overtly aggressive on top of the option placement. Did anyone really think Shepard meant they would write a strongly worded letter to her boss and then organize a boycott of her news program?

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 23, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You know what would have side stepped the issue? If the "punch him" button was labeled "[Punch him]."

Just sayin'.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lotish posted:

You know what would have side stepped the issue? If the "punch him" button was labeled "[Punch him]."

Just sayin'.

GET FOOD

edit: Other than that VERY FIRST TIME in ME 1, every other "Punch Them" was telegraphed as gently caress, and then in the second and third game 90% of them became interrupts, which aren't part of the scope of the system we're talking about anyway.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 23, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Just so long as it doesn't go putting words in my mouth like "I could really go for a snack cake right about now. Do we still have any of those Fancy Lads?" because that is abhorrent to role-playing.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lotish posted:

Just so long as it doesn't go putting words in my mouth like "I could really go for a snack cake right about now. Do we still have any of those Fancy Lads?" because that is abhorrent to role-playing.

Yeah, not like the limited, pre-written lines of The Good Old Days.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

When I click "GET FOOD" I only want my character to shout the command like the Hulk and be rewarded with a generic FOOD that is deposited in my inventory.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

Just sayin'.

I mean yeah okay but you have to be really socially dense to not understand 'Time to shut you up!' and the implications of that. Like, what did you *think* he was going to do with that option? It was going to get physical somehow.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Personally I was expecting to shoot him dead on the spot. :commissar:

So disappointed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ah but in F4 apparently you can just pull out in the middle of any convo and blast away!

Gonna be doing that a lot. Although I seem to remember something similar being promised in ME1 before it came out but maybe I just misread the article like the dumb kid that I was.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Lotish posted:

When I click "GET FOOD" I only want my character to shout the command like the Hulk and be rewarded with a generic FOOD that is deposited in my inventory.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Odobenidae posted:

the entire "dialogue option results in completely unexpected result" thing is uncommon in practice but people apparently like the meme so it doesn't matter i guess

It is uncommon, which makes summarised dialogue still inferior to just writing out the actual line.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

GirlBones posted:

This is awesome! Anyone know where I can see pictures like this for other games?

Here's World Of Warcraft post Cataclysm with an almost infinite view distance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTYvEBsghc

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 23, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Can't they just meet everyone halfway and add that thing the new Deus Ex had where it pops up with what you're actually saying if you highlight the dialogue wheel option you want to choose?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

I recall just just a handful of them (2 or 3 really) throughout the ME trilogy. But DA2 was full of instances where the paraphrased responses sounded okay, but had Hawke saying something idiot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Can't they just meet everyone halfway and add that thing the new Deus Ex had where it pops up with what you're actually saying if you highlight the dialogue wheel option you want to choose?

I thought this was a good compromise back when I thought Dragon Age Inquisition was going to do it, but then what they actually did was provide a summary of what you could expect to happen with certain critical story choices.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

Low intelligence run.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Ah but in F4 apparently you can just pull out in the middle of any convo and blast away!

Gonna be doing that a lot. Although I seem to remember something similar being promised in ME1 before it came out but maybe I just misread the article like the dumb kid that I was.

I plan to shoot anyone who asks me to kill an innocent. I bet you didn't expect that when you called me over to talk.

And they did promise a mechanic in Mass Effect where the game would register if you interrupted people or just straight up left a conversation as rudeness. They stated later that they couldn't get it fun so decided to ditch it in one and went with the "right hook, left hook" options of 2 and 3.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

2house2fly posted:

It is uncommon, which makes summarised dialogue still inferior to just writing out the actual line.

It is definitely worse than dialogue choices in all of the previous fallout games, don't get me wrong. There's just no point in people being hyperbolic about it or being unfunny idiots with their hilarious take on Dialogue Choices Gone Wrong.

Besides, i'm sure it will be fine, people (gamers in particular) are just adverse to change. Sooner or later we'll all be talking about how It Just Works.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Spikeguy posted:

I plan to shoot anyone who asks me to kill an innocent. I bet you didn't expect that when you called me over to talk.

And they did promise a mechanic in Mass Effect where the game would register if you interrupted people or just straight up left a conversation as rudeness. They stated later that they couldn't get it fun so decided to ditch it in one and went with the "right hook, left hook" options of 2 and 3.

the best part is that in the previous games your conversations with NPCs took place in some kind of sound and time vacuum of extra-dimensional space, so you have situations where the bad guy in the megaton bar asks you to nuke the place and no one else is concerned at all, and if you cap him in the bar everyone else gets mad at you

guys, i just put a 9mm between the eyes of a guy who was soliciting strangers to nuke your entire town. i find your hostility misplaced and overall judgement capabilities to be extremely lacking

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 23, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

homeless poster posted:

guys, i just put a 9mm between the eyes of a guy who was soliciting strangers to nuke your entire town. i find your hostility, and overall judgement capabilities, to be extremely lacking

Who are you to dispense justice when the town has a sheriff for it :colbert:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

frajaq posted:

Who are you to dispense justice when the town has a sheriff for it :colbert:

uh i'm a lone wanderer with a mysterious past who hails from parts unknown. clearly my every move is destined to become legend, and you should be so fortunate as to watch me write my grand narrative across the canvas of your town

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look you can't just go blasting every stimhead talking nonsense alright? There's due loving process here in Megaton. I don't know where you're from but around here we are civilized.

Spikeguy posted:

I'm definitely planning on shooting people who offer me a quest I want to turn down.

That was something I absolutely hated in Skyrim; no matter what the quest appears in your log. Playing as a good character and some Argonian asks you to orchestrate a shipwreck so you can loot the corpses together? No option to tell him to gently caress off or report him to the guards or anything. Hopefully F4 lets me shoot the quest giver in the face.

It'd also be cathartic. Being able to shoot Caesar in the middle of his speeches in NV would have been great.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Or that quest where they want you to become a cannibal.

Skyrim was so loving bad at this, just give me failstates for quests I don't want. If Todd Howard is reading this, I hope he's taking note.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Attacking quest givers will only work if they don't make every NPC with a unique name essential.

Oooh! Unless they implement procedurally generated quests you can get from anybody!

"Help! My [child|brahmin|heirloom] was stolen by [raiders|ghouls|soldiers], they were heading towards the old abandoned [schoolhouse|mine|drive-in]. If you help me I can pay you [level*25] bottlecaps."

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lotish posted:

Just sayin'.

This reminds me of an Aldmeri Dominion quest in ESO. There's an NPC who's causing a shitstorm (and a literal storm) about being constantly pushed around. When you find him atop a tower and try to speak to him he screams about no longer being pushed around and one of your response options is

quote:

[Push him over the edge] (NPC Dies)

Pretty much the only entertaining moment in ESO

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nevets posted:

Oooh! Unless they implement procedurally generated quests you can get from anybody!

"Help! My [child|brahmin|heirloom] was stolen by [raiders|ghouls|soldiers], they were heading towards the old abandoned [schoolhouse|mine|drive-in]. If you help me I can pay you [level*25] bottlecaps."

I mean, that's basically what they did for Skyrim.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Want a perk where your character is mute, and communicates through your dog which barks each word you would otherwise say aloud in succession.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, that's basically what they did for Skyrim.

But only after you were Guildmaster were you rewarded with such epic quests as "Guy is talking poo poo we're getting paid to punch him" or "Get me six firesalts."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Scyantific posted:

This reminds me of an Aldmeri Dominion quest in ESO. There's an NPC who's causing a shitstorm (and a literal storm) about being constantly pushed around. When you find him atop a tower and try to speak to him he screams about no longer being pushed around and one of your response options is

Pretty much the only entertaining moment in ESO

Okay, I like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

But only after you were Guildmaster were you rewarded with such epic quests as "Guy is talking poo poo we're getting paid to punch him" or "Get me six firesalts."

As Guildmaster, I won't abide anybody talking poo poo on me

• Locked thread