Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Gravel Gravy posted:

Sorry if I offended your atheistic dogma.

this is the smugness im talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LorrdErnie posted:

what im saying is that 99.99999999% of atheists fit that definition of agnostic and the distinction is largely pointless bullshit except agnostic is generally less useful because fewer people know what it means and you could even be an agnostic theist (though they never are) so in addition to being redundant it is actually telling you less about the person

Who doesn't know what agnostic is?

I've met more people who equates atheism to satanism than people that don't know what agnostic means.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

joeburz posted:

like there could totally be a god woman in some plane of existence that does poo poo beyond my comprehension, but lmao if earthly religions give you any remote sense of belief in that

tbf this is equally annoying atheist smugness

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

LorrdErnie posted:

this is the smugness im talking about

Not smugness. If you give lovely responses then expect lovely responses.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

LorrdErnie posted:

tbf this is equally annoying atheist smugness

let me write a dissertation on the reasons why~

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

joeburz posted:

like there could totally be a god woman in some plane of existence that does poo poo beyond my comprehension

i believe in madoka

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

I've met more people who equates atheism to satanism than people that don't know what agnostic means.

most people never study religion and agnostics dont really get talked about much,

same with people met though

still id bet ive met more people equating atheism and satanism

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gravel Gravy posted:

lol i am arguing in good faith and dared to say your definitions are lovely haha

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

well its the exact same language

apologies for misinterpreting your tone

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jagchosis posted:

i believe in madoka

you mean lain

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

in addition to what i said though the rest of my post still holds

99.9% of atheists fit the agnostic definition

richard loving dawkins fits the agnostic definition under the criteria youve placed woodrowskillson as an agnostic

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

UberJew posted:

you mean lain

i couldn't get to the end of that show does lain become internet jesus? either way i prefer magical girl jesus, she died for the sins of magical girls

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

LorrdErnie posted:

richard loving dawkins fits the agnostic definition under the criteria youve placed woodrowskillson as an agnostic

the entire new atheist movement counts according to his definition, short of perhaps penn jillette

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

i believe in the v8

this is increasingly faith based with the improvements in automotive technology

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the entire new atheist movement counts according to his definition, short of perhaps penn jillette

and penn jilette is almost certainly a liar and entertains some vague possibility

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jagchosis posted:

i couldn't get to the end of that show does lain become internet jesus? either way i prefer magical girl jesus, she died for the sins of magical girls

yo that third movie thou

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

i believe marketing, propaganda, and advertising are the great ritual magics of this age

a con man or general sweet-talker can do the same thing on a personal scale but ritual magic is basically always more powerful

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lol i am arguing in good faith and dared to say your definitions are lovely haha

Yeah you are arguing in good faith, which is why the basis of your argument hinges on the word "lovely".

LorrdErnie posted:

Recall a talk Dawkins had at my school and he was pretty certain on the idea that there wasn't a god, so I am not sure how you are equating him with agnostic.

But going off the google definition of atheist-

"a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods."

My difference was the idea of atheism hinged on absolute belief or idea in existance of a god. So by the "lack belief" but my definition was wrong. So fair enough.

LorrdErnie posted:

well its the exact same language

apologies for misinterpreting your tone

It's ok.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jagchosis posted:

we're on the internet you know you'd think internet anime jesus would be the preferred anime jesus

anime heresy abounds

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WoodrowSkillson posted:

penn jillette also needs to get hit by a bus

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

all anime is heretical

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

LorrdErnie posted:

i believe marketing, propaganda, and advertising are the great ritual magics of this age

a con man or general sweet-talker can do the same thing on a personal scale but ritual magic is basically always more powerful

i, too, believe in the power of the Brand

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i'm about to interrupt this conversation and start posting about cars

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jagchosis posted:

i believe in madoka

hmm.. i'll allow it.

personally i'm a follower of nausicaa, the white winged goddess of death sent to cleanse the world of humanity. i mean, it's for the best, really

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr9r81O5vN8

go to 0:55 seconds for coolness

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

kustomkarkommando posted:

all anime is heretical

:milk:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah you are arguing in good faith, which is why the basis of your argument hinges on the word "lovely".

Recall a talk Dawkins had at my school and he was pretty certain on the idea that there wasn't a god, so I am not sure how you are equating him with agnostic.

But going off the google definition of atheist-

"a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods."

My difference was the idea of atheism hinged on absolute belief or idea in existance of a god. So by the "lack belief" but my definition was wrong. So fair enough.

It's ok.

"A friend, an intelligent lapsed Jew who observes the Sabbath for reasons of cultural solidarity, describes himself as a Tooth Fairy Agnostic. He will not call himself an atheist because it is in principle impossible to prove a negative. But "agnostic" on its own might suggest that he though God's existence or non-existence equally likely. In fact, though strictly agnostic about God, he considers God's existence no more probable than the Tooth Fairy's.
Bertrand Russell used a hypothetical teapot in orbit about Mars for the same didactic purpose. You have to be agnostic about the teapot, but that doesn't mean you treat the likelihood of its existence as being on all fours with its non-existence.
The list of things about which we strictly have to be agnostic doesn't stop at tooth fairies and celestial teapots. It is infinite. If you want to believe in a particular one of them -- teapots, unicorns, or tooth fairies, Thor or Yahweh -- the onus is on you to say why you believe in it. The onus is not on the rest of us to say why we do not. We who are atheists are also a-fairyists, a-teapotists, and a-unicornists, but we don't have to bother saying so."
-- Richard Dawkins, following a list of excerpts from hate mail sent to the editor of Freethought Today, after she won a separationist court battle, in "A Challenge To Atheists: Come Out of the Closet" (Free Inquiry, Summer, 2002) paragraph division added

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Literally The Worst posted:

penn jillette also needs to get hit by a bus

He was pretty solid in Alpha House.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

when will the pope call upon the faithful to crush the vile heresy of anime and its false prophets

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ugly

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

is uspol Bernie Crew evangelical in nature

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

lol that confederate flags are disappearing from retailers.

however they will continue to live on being sold by out of work carnies from vans along the road, just like in the old days

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

when will the pope call upon the faithful to crush the vile heresy of anime and its false prophets

hes canonizing haruhi on friday, actually

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Anime Curator posted:

yo that third movie thou

homura worship is basically ironic satanism so it works too

UberJew posted:

we're on the internet you know you'd think internet anime jesus would be the preferred anime jesus

anime heresy abounds

yeah but i'm also a magical girl gotta know where to place my faith

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I don't believe there is a need for a god to exist to explain the existence of the universe or of the human race but I've always felt that people are entitled to whatever theology makes them more comfortable with their own mortality so long as it doesn't leave their home or church. It has no place infringing on anyone else's daily activity though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Calling Venom Snake to USPol:

Young Freud posted:

Reuters is reporting that the top manufacturer of flags in the United States, Valley Forge Flag, will no longer produce Confederate flags.

BTW, has anyone heard anything from the reenactment community? Civil War reenactment groups always seem to be a vortex of 'Lost Cause' worshippers, like how WW2 Nazi reenacters seem to get way into it.

By the way, I just read the least sympathetic story about a failed attempt at immigration to the US. :qq: "But I went to all the best schools and had a great legal job, why don't they want me!!!!" :qq:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He was pretty solid in Alpha House.

thats not him getting hit by a bus

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

sounds like we have another anti-pope on our hands.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

continues to be best pope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

sounds like we have another anti-pope on our hands.

they're all antipope except for pope badger of basra the first through ninth

• Locked thread