Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hooray, had to pay for cross-shipping 'cause who's going to be without a phone for up to 5 business days?

In other news, it's times like this I really miss having root; setting up a phone is a pain in the rear end, especially when I forget to backup my SwipePad pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Hooray, had to pay for cross-shipping 'cause who's going to be without a phone for up to 5 business days?

In other news, it's times like this I really miss having root; setting up a phone is a pain in the rear end, especially when I forget to backup my SwipePad pads.

You have to pay extra for them to cross-ship? What a racket.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It wouldn't be so bad if the phone were several months old, but I haven't even had it two. I mean, I'm glad I'm getting a free replacement, to be sure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've never known Motorola to make you pay for cross shipping. They put a hold on your credit card to be sure, but don't actually charge anything.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

I've never known Motorola to make you pay for cross shipping. They put a hold on your credit card to be sure, but don't actually charge anything.

It sounds like this is a new thing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/3aj7sk/new_25_fee_for_advanced_exchanges/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Either they changed something or I dunno what: $500 hold on the card plus $24.99 "Premium Fee".

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sounds like it also covers return shipping which is nice

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Yeah. I just dealt with them. For cross shipping on a 13 Moto X they wanted a $250 hold and a $24.99 "premium fee." I don't know if it applies to you sending the phone first but I would guess it does as it sounds like a type of service fee.

The guy told me it became policy the 15th when I was arguing that I shouldn't have to pay it. I started my process earlier then the 15th but never received a phone and when I called they said my card had been rejected. It was rejected because they put the wrong billing address in.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is the speakerphone mic on the 2014 X the little hole on the back?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Burden posted:

I have a couple of friends that bought the Alcatel Idol 3 and they like it. For $250 bucks it's a solid phone. They both have T-Mobile and it supports all the LTE bands. I messed around with the phone for a few minutes. Took decent photos and ran fairly smooth.

I heard they had a bunch of problems with it at launch. Bad reception, losing data randomly, dropping calls, all that sort of stuff. Did they get that sorted out?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the speakerphone mic on the 2014 X the little hole on the back?

Maybe. The rep had me go to a page that showed where the different mics are, but none were labeled "speakerphone"; that one is the video record mic, so that'd be my best guess for speakerphone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

Maybe. The rep had me go to a page that showed where the different mics are, but none were labeled "speakerphone"; that one is the video record mic, so that'd be my best guess for speakerphone.

If the one on the back is for speakerphone, then that is a really dumb spot for it because the sound comes out the front, so naturally you would set the phone down face up.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Hace posted:

Moto X 2013 is always going to suffer in mutlithreaded benchmarks since it's only a dual core, but SD600 still happily outpaces SD410 in single-threaded operations which matters more imo

e: also the Moto E has pretty poor random read apparently, which wouldn't help either.

My 2013 Moto X has a Snapdragon S4 Pro, not the 600...is it an international difference?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Basically the same but it's a slightly lower clock

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If the one on the back is for speakerphone, then that is a really dumb spot for it because the sound comes out the front, so naturally you would set the phone down face up.

Yeah, but the only time I use speakerphone is when my wife and I are talking to our parents, and then we just hold the phone up between us.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Hace posted:

Basically the same but it's a slightly lower clock

Ah, makes sense I guess if it is a similar chipset. I do usually use several apps at once, but all usually very low resource applications so take it with a grain of salt. For my purposes (podcasts, audible, kindle, intense outlook/exchange usage, maps, and chrome) it's been a far far better phone. Obviously your mileage may vary. I have a core set of apps that get all my attention and they seem to run the same or faster in a general side by side. Running Kit Kat on the X, Lollipop on the E, with Nova Launcher on both.

Even if it was slower I'd be happier if only for the extra juice. I hated managing the Moto X so much. My usage is heavy though.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My uncle shattered his 2013 Moto X and got an Xperia M4 Aqua as a replacement. How bad of a downgrade would this thing be?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I heard they had a bunch of problems with it at launch. Bad reception, losing data randomly, dropping calls, all that sort of stuff. Did they get that sorted out?

Interesting! I hadn't heard this- got any links?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Dark One posted:

My uncle shattered his 2013 Moto X and got an Xperia M4 Aqua as a replacement. How bad of a downgrade would this thing be?

Doesn't appear to be a terrible replacement. It supports Band 12 LTE so that's a plus if he's on t-mobile.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

The Dark One posted:

Performance wise it's actually a small bit speedier than the 2013 Moto X.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
So, i just switched from T-Mobile to Verizon, and decided that the Note 4 I was previously using was too big for my hands comfortably; Switched over to a Galaxy S6. Since then, I've noticed an oddity regarding WiFi in that the phone will sometimes not scan for WiFi networks to connect me to those that I've already saved. If I go into the WiFi settings manually, it'll scan, but not before then. Really frusterating. Anyone else seeing this?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

NerdsMcGee posted:

So, i just switched from T-Mobile to Verizon, and decided that the Note 4 I was previously using was too big for my hands comfortably; Switched over to a Galaxy S6. Since then, I've noticed an oddity regarding WiFi in that the phone will sometimes not scan for WiFi networks to connect me to those that I've already saved. If I go into the WiFi settings manually, it'll scan, but not before then. Really frusterating. Anyone else seeing this?

I think this is a common bug in Android that's been around for years. I've seen the behavior in multiple Motorola devices I've owned also. Not porting over previous wifi access points you were connected to when initially setting up the phone usually fixes it.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
If any of you have a Galaxy S6 through US Cellular, the 5.1.1 update is available as of today.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

cross-post from the Pebble thread, since I'm not sure if the problem is android related or Pebble related:

Quick question: On my phone (2013 Moto X on both 4.4.4 and 5.1), my Pebble frequently (like...every couple hours, if not more) loses connection to my phone. It's done this with two different pebbles, a regular and a steel. Turning the Pebble off and then back on again fixes it. The phone doesn't have any issues with other bluetooth devices - I have it connected to either a portable speaker or my car frequently, and those maintain connection even when the Pebble loses it.

Any ideas?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

mugrim posted:

Ah, makes sense I guess if it is a similar chipset. I do usually use several apps at once, but all usually very low resource applications so take it with a grain of salt. For my purposes (podcasts, audible, kindle, intense outlook/exchange usage, maps, and chrome) it's been a far far better phone. Obviously your mileage may vary. I have a core set of apps that get all my attention and they seem to run the same or faster in a general side by side. Running Kit Kat on the X, Lollipop on the E, with Nova Launcher on both.

Even if it was slower I'd be happier if only for the extra juice. I hated managing the Moto X so much. My usage is heavy though.

Also, the X has more work to do visually with its far higher pixel count.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

WescottF1 posted:

If any of you have a Galaxy S6 through US Cellular, the 5.1.1 update is available as of today.

Awesome. Thank you very much for this info.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've got an LG G4 and I can't figure out how to make "Ok Google" work when the screen is not active. On my old Droid Maxx, I used to be able to say the phrase when the phone was off and it would respond, with my G4, it will only work if I first turn on the screen. Its annoying cause I used to be able to just shout reminders at my phone with dirty hands and whatnot and now I have to turn on the phone first. Under "OK Google" detection settings, I've set "From Any Screen" to on. I've got no phone lock either so I don't think that's the issue.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

visuvius posted:

I've got an LG G4 and I can't figure out how to make "Ok Google" work when the screen is not active. On my old Droid Maxx, I used to be able to say the phrase when the phone was off and it would respond, with my G4, it will only work if I first turn on the screen. Its annoying cause I used to be able to just shout reminders at my phone with dirty hands and whatnot and now I have to turn on the phone first. Under "OK Google" detection settings, I've set "From Any Screen" to on. I've got no phone lock either so I don't think that's the issue.
It should say "Always on" instead of "From any screen" for that function. The G4 may not be capable of doing that with the screen off.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

visuvius posted:

Apparently only Samsungs and Motorolas have this feature.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Desk Lamp posted:

Apparently only Samsungs and Motorolas have this feature.

And Nexus devices.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I switched back from my Note 4 to my old Moto X to try out lollipop, and it seems the new update removed the ability to swipe over the proximity sensor at the top to wake the phone. Now I have to jab it like a pleb again. Also the battery life still pales in comparison to the Note 4. It's already down to 50%, whereas the Note would be at 75% with the same or less usage.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="446940247"]
I switched back from my Note 4 to my old Moto X to try out lollipop, and it seems the new update removed the ability to swipe over the proximity sensor at the top to wake the phone. Now I have to jab it like a pleb again.
Yeah this is the stupidest loving thing. MY WAIFU is going to be upset when her phone updates and this feature goes away.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Zenfone 2 has the double tap the screen to turn on feature, and I'd hate to give that up. Do any other phones have that feature yet? Not that I'm looking, I'm very happy with this phone.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

My Zenfone 2 has the double tap the screen to turn on feature, and I'd hate to give that up. Do any other phones have that feature yet? Not that I'm looking, I'm very happy with this phone.

All recent LGs, HTCs and Sonys.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Super Dude posted:

And Nexus devices.

That's what I assumed as well, but according to others in the thread for Nexus it's:

ilkhan posted:

Last I heard its screen off only if charging, or anytime screen is on. With appropriate settings selected.

If it works all the time now then all the better.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Hopefully this isn't too off-topic, but when buying a screen protector, are there any brands to seek out or avoid? Amazon has dozens and they all look equally questionable.

I had a "skinomi" and it literally melted last week when the phone was outside in the shade lol.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Desk Lamp posted:

That's what I assumed as well, but according to others in the thread for Nexus it's:

Ah, you might be right. I only yell across the room at my tablet when it's charging. I'll test it out later tonight.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic, but when buying a screen protector, are there any brands to seek out or avoid? Amazon has dozens and they all look equally questionable.

I had a "skinomi" and it literally melted last week when the phone was outside in the shade lol.

Go on eBay and buy the cheapest multipack you can find that ships from the US

If you want glass buy the cheapest glass one you can find that has rounded edges

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Desk Lamp posted:

My 5/M, ok google on charger, got the command sound. Took off charger, turned off screen (which on mine doesn't lock it), tried again and it still worked. Gonna let it sit for a minute to lock it and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ilkhan posted:

My 5/M, ok google on charger, got the command sound. Took off charger, turned off screen (which on mine doesn't lock it), tried again and it still worked. Gonna let it sit for a minute to lock it and try again.

Maybe it's an M thing for the 5? Mine doesn't respond when the screen is off with L.