Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

The other day on Diane Rehm they were discussing this. A caller talked about how she wasn't racist etc. but she respected her ancestors. The guest said "I sure don't. Your ancestors fought for the right to keep people like me as property. What is there to respect about that?"

Admitting that your ancestors were really bad and stupid can be traumatic. It takes time and education and a person has to come to that conclusion on their own, it can't be forced on them by others. Wasn't there a whole youth movement in Germany that centered around a backlash against the German survivors of WW II and what a horrible legacy they made for their children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

I am kind of curious how far people will go with the statue thing. Why stop at Jefferson Davis? There's an Alexander Stephens statue in the Capitol too, along with at least a half dozen Confederate generals.

Oh and John Calhoun. But, awful person though he was, it seems silly to remove the statue of possibly the most important Senator of his time from the Capitol.

If there's any figure that absolutely has to go it's Nathan Bedford Forrest. Besides his military acumen he was a monster with few redeeming qualities at all.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could it possibly be a tad bit early to call this the only meaningful change to result from this terrorist attack?

There isn't even any real hope that the flag will be removed from the statehouse. Sure, the market is making some noise about not enabling these racists, but the big one is the flag at the Capitol. I just don't see that being taken down, not when they need a 2/3 's vote.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I still think that it's hilarious that Rt 1 in Virginia, which literally runs right in to DC, is named Jefferson Davis Highway

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, several churches in this area have rainbow flags on them. In radical leftist Upstate New York.

Whereabouts? Ain't never seen no queer church flag here in Western New York (I have seen one at a synagogue though).

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

I think you can make a better support of your argument than a terrible, now-defunct court decision to jail war protesters.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

That happening is actually part of progress. We all get to congratulate ourselves and be on the winning side while things also get incrementally less racist. Making a major racist shibboleth unacceptable goes a long way towards furthering that end.

It is nowhere as extreme as I would like, but then again, I'm a radical. Having major Republican figures (including the presumptive establishment favor and a previous candidate for President) come out against Confederate iconography is a move in the right direction.

People talk about sweeping things under the rug. The whole idea about sweeping is that you gather a big enough pile to throw away. This dialogue is recognizing that the mess we have is big enough to get out from underneath the rug and into the garbage.

I'll agree that there is a huge rear end bulge under the rug and the floor is dirty as poo poo. But even these topical solutions are better than the longstanding history of "salutary neglect".

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Young Freud posted:

I don't think any of those old Challengers from Dukes of Hazzard exist anymore. They pretty much wrecked a car a week on the show, and someone wrapped a surviving one around a tree last week. There's probably one in a museum, but the new one had the flag erased from it's roof.

The dude that wrecked it?

29 year old Mohammed Abdulla Jamali, who was subsequently arrested and charged with reckless driving due to the use of improperly adjusted brakes.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

ReidRansom posted:

Amazing.

Question is, do they now ban people wearing it from entry into events?

They do not and will not (at least for now).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

I still think that it's hilarious that Rt 1 in Virginia, which literally runs right in to DC, is named Jefferson Davis Highway

Like literally right across the Potomac. The first time I ever saw a sign for that I'm all yep, they want you to know right away they were Confederate.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Doctor Butts posted:

Maybe in another fifty years they'll address how cops treat minorities differently.

Nothing's going to happen with this lack of self-awareness. If you're talking about the Carolinas in particular, they're better than basically every other state when it comes to calling cops to the carpet. Contrast what happened to Eric Garner's killer versus the Charleston cop who shot Walter Scott, is being charged, and is also abandoned by his union.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well, since it's more than anyone did after Sandy Hook or Aurora, I think we can assume that this is the most meaningful action that will be taken.

I'm not sure what gun regs besides "no guns" would've helped here.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

I am kind of curious how far people will go with the statue thing. Why stop at Jefferson Davis? There's an Alexander Stephens statue in the Capitol too, along with at least a half dozen Confederate generals.

Oh and John Calhoun. But, awful person though he was, it seems silly to remove the statue of possibly the most important Senator of his time from the Capitol.

I thought Albert Pike was the only confederate general with a statue in DC.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And as it turns out, the Jefferson Davis Highway in Arlington was part of a planned cross-country highway bearing that name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Jefferson_Davis_Highway

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

DeusExMachinima posted:

I dunno. If his father gave him the gun, then he should totally get jail time. If the seller did not perform due diligence and sold the gun to someone who shouldn't own a gun, they should at least face major fines if not serious time in jail. If the state reporting methods are inefficient, too bad. They should create their own free market version, let that solve the problem. It's about keeping gun sellers safe so they can better ply their trade.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah, this is a really awful example case for gun control. Roof could have been 100% as symbolic and historically-ominous by burning the church down around the people and/or throwing a homemade explosive and/or using a hunting rifle. Sandy Hook was a good argument for at gun control, senseless violence by someone with legit mental illness and unreasonable access to powerful guns. This is a premeditated hate crime, where it IS probably true that he could have accomplished it without a gun.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

radical meme posted:

Admitting that your ancestors were really bad and stupid can be traumatic. It takes time and education and a person has to come to that conclusion on their own, it can't be forced on them by others. Wasn't there a whole youth movement in Germany that centered around a backlash against the German survivors of WW II and what a horrible legacy they made for their children?

I don't understand this. I have an ancestor from South Carolina who raised a company to fight in the Civil War. He was a racist piece of poo poo and I've always been glad his side lost. If it was my parents or grandparents, like in Germany, then maybe I'd feel differently, but this man lived and died more than a hundred years before I was born. I don't get why I should feel particularly attached to how he lived his life.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's great that we're all banning the Confederate flag so we can feel good about not addressing structural racism in any form.

It's great that you can post this and pretend the previous four pages aren't just chockablock full of people saying the exact same thing. Hell Obama said the same thing on a podcast and the post right before yours is expressing the same sentiment. Just not as smugly.

To deny that this is a step forward, or that any victory short of absolute is worthless, is childish.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

I thought Albert Pike was the only confederate general with a statue in DC.

In the National Statuary Hall Collection:

Major-General Joseph Wheeler (AL)
General Edmund Kirby Smith (FL)
Lieutenant General Wade Hampton (SC)
General Robert E. Lee (VA)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

berzerker posted:

Yeah, this is a really awful example case for gun control. Roof could have been 100% as symbolic and historically-ominous by burning the church down around the people and/or throwing a homemade explosive and/or using a hunting rifle. Sandy Hook was a good argument for at gun control, senseless violence by someone with legit mental illness and unreasonable access to powerful guns. This is a premeditated hate crime, where it IS probably true that he could have accomplished it without a gun.

Homemade explosives capable of killing many people are more difficult to acquire or construct from allowable materials than many suppose. See: the Boston Bombings. This guy couldn't case a joint without getting the cops called, I doubt he could have stolen or manufactured enough explosives to kill 9 people.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Ah OK maybe he's the only outdoor one.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Joementum posted:

The Senate shut down for a bit today. Probably had something to do with this:

That last one is surprising to me. I thought the DC handgun ban was struck down?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

VikingofRock posted:

That last one is surprising to me. I thought the DC handgun ban was struck down?

The Capitol has different regulations than elsewhere in DC. For example: sledding is banned.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Trabisnikof posted:

Homemade explosives capable of killing many people are more difficult to acquire or construct from allowable materials than many suppose.

Well some guy nearly blew up his house here this week with his arsenal of doomsday explosives. 85 year old guy with bombs, hand grenades, land mines, guns, ammo, a machine gun, dementia, and a felony rap going back to 1946.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Warner Bros. is officially removing the Confederate flags off of all Dukes of Hazzard merch: http://www.vulture.com/2015/06/dukes-hazzard-confederate-flag-warner-bros-stop-licensing.html

I'm genuinely surprised at how sudden and extreme the backlash against Confederate imagery has been the last few days. Even if none of this results in an actual discussion of institutional racism, it's at least a cultural course correction that should have happened decades ago.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Trabisnikof posted:

Homemade explosives capable of killing many people are more difficult to acquire or construct from allowable materials than many suppose. See: the Boston Bombings. This guy couldn't case a joint without getting the cops called, I doubt he could have stolen or manufactured enough explosives to kill 9 people.

Seriously, it isn't impossible to buy black powder, but it isn't exactly as easy as buying a gun, either. What else are you going to make a bomb out of?
If he went to buy black powder they would probably have laughed at him and turned his info over to the fbi.
I guess you could buy it in small quantities over a long period of time, but people don't think that way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

HorseRenoir posted:

Warner Bros. is officially removing the Confederate flags off of all Dukes of Hazzard merch: http://www.vulture.com/2015/06/dukes-hazzard-confederate-flag-warner-bros-stop-licensing.html

I'm genuinely surprised at how sudden and extreme the backlash against Confederate imagery has been the last few days. Even if none of this results in an actual discussion of institutional racism, it's at least a cultural course correction that should have happened decades ago.

At this rate, our children might not have to deal with people ignoring historical documents on the cause of the Civil War.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Pohl posted:

Seriously, it isn't impossible to buy black powder, but it isn't exactly as easy as buying a gun, either.
It is very easy to buy gunpowder intended for reloading ammunition.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 24, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Joementum posted:

A lot of those guys, Pike included, did stuff after the war to get those statues. Some of those guys came back and served the U.S. Army after the civil war.

I'm all for holding people's past against them forever though when it's this egregious. Dump them in a river.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

taqueso posted:

It is very easy to buy gunpowder intended for reloading ammunition.

In small amounts, not the amounts you would need for a bomb. My family had a mine and my dad and uncle bought black powder for demolition purposes. They had to jump through a lot of hoops to get enough to actually blow poo poo up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's a good point. Do we just remove all the statues of unreconstructed racists from the Capitol?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

The theory that the Nazi's were so evil because they were all gay has been around in the American evangelical movement for decades. See The Pink Swastika by failed Massachusetts Gubernatorial candidate and drafter of murderous Ugandan laws Scott Lively.

Actually, don't. It is an awful book.

I'll take your word for it.

Joementum posted:

The Senate shut down for a bit today. Probably had something to do with this:

This reminds me of that episode of Alpha House where the Tea Party Congresswoman/Donna from The West Wing starts waving her gun around.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Pohl posted:

In small amounts, not the amounts you would need for a bomb. My family had a mine and my dad and uncle bought black powder for demolition purposes. They had to jump through a lot of hoops to get enough to actually blow poo poo up.

I don't know how much is enough and I am hesitant to try and google it, but you can buy 8lb tubs online or in store, and I don't think there is any tracking on those purchases.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
A series of adds for Autotrader.com came out a while back featuring the General Lee and the Duke Boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6syCBrvmJ68
All of the shots are real low angles so you can't see the roof. I wonder if it was at the request of WB or the website. Either way, somebody knew the flag was bad for business. Here is an article for adweek.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dilkington posted:

Whereabouts? Ain't never seen no queer church flag here in Western New York (I have seen one at a synagogue though).

Albany. You know, where your tax dollars are converted to graft.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

radical meme posted:

A huge part of the generational clash that took place in 1960s West Germany centered entirely on the kids who either were very young or not even born during the war confronting their parents' refusal to own up to what, exactly, they'd been doing 1933 - 45.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Trabisnikof posted:

It's pretty easy to fill a make a few molotov cocktails, as witnessed by the continual arson of black churches since the Civil War.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

taqueso posted:

I don't know how much is enough and I am hesitant to try and google it, but you can buy 8lb tubs online or in store, and I don't think there is any tracking on those purchases.

Yeah, that is just crazy. I never realized it was so available. 8 lbs would be a pretty drat good start...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pohl posted:

Yeah, that is just crazy. I never realized it was so available. 8 lbs would be a pretty drat good start...

Back in high school a friend of mine and I used to screw around with pyrodex all the drat time, because like all teenagers we were bored, stupid, and had poor impulse control. It was never particularly hard to get in quantity.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

taqueso posted:

The limit is 50lbs. But you're only allowed to buy it to use for your guns, which is an interesting consideration.

Besides, black powder alone doesn't make that great of a bomb, so you get results like the Boston Bombing, which resulted in fewer fatalities than this shooting. To get big, building destroying results you need more complex or larger explosives. There's no evidence Roof had the complex knowledge to make high explosives (otherwise he'd have found a better racist occupation) and there's no reasonable way he could have wheeled a suitcase anfo in bomb and then asked everyone to stand around it and still killed nine.

berzerker posted:

It's pretty easy to fill a make a few molotov cocktails, as witnessed by the continual arson of black churches since the Civil War.

And its pretty hard to kill 9 people when you do it. As evidenced by those same continual arsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
With trade votes expected this week, the House Freedom Caucus is meeting in the Tortilla Coast basement tonight. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread