Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

nuru posted:

I'm still getting used to abilities actually working on bosses. Bear with me here.

Don't worry about it, when it comes to FFV I only know the plot. I barely know a thing about all the tricks you can use on the bosses. The only reason I knew Magissa could be silenced was reading it in either this thread or Mega64's Solo Challenge Run thread in Let's Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THROWN INTO THE VOID!

(WHILE IN THE VOID!)

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

NeoExdeath down with Time Mage/Berserker x3. Not sure if it'll be possible to do Shinryu or Omega with this team.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fatigued posted:

NeoExdeath down with Time Mage/Berserker x3. Not sure if it'll be possible to do Shinryu or Omega with this team.

shinryu maybe. berserk it with the wonder wand, wear a mirage vest on your time mage and refresh it if it goes down, use phoenix downs to keep the berserkers up and hope for the best. if you want to go nuts you could put mirage vests on the berserkers too to keep them up a little longer

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Fatigued posted:

Time Mage is fully capable of soloing both, with the help of the Quick spell and a Venom Rod.

... And also Reflect Ring, in Omega's case.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Quick glitch doesn't work on every platform, but that looks like GBA, so you're good to go.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

quick glitch is lame, berserker it to death like the good lord intended

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thief/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon is kinda lovely huh? that's what i've ended up with

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Thief/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon is kinda lovely huh? that's what i've ended up with

ranger's really good, rapidfire's one of thebest skills in the game and equip bow on a berserker and thief make them a lot better until you get the chicken knife for the thief. dragoon's solid, it's not going to be an mvp but it's real hard to kill and it puts up solid numbers. it's kind of a rough team for your first playthrough though yeah, you're going to have a hard time getting through an optional dungeon halfway through the endgame so you'll miss a little of the content probably

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
For the blue mage / time mage / beastmaster / dancer combo, are there any really broken things I can do? I just beat the crystals in world 2. I've been pretty much thousand needles/aqua breath-ing everything to death so far with everyone running !Blue/!Time, but those aren't scaling very well anymore.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also animals is going to be bgreat for healing for the first part of the game, nightingale's good

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Ithaqua posted:

For the blue mage / time mage / beastmaster / dancer combo, are there any really broken things I can do? I just beat the crystals in world 2. I've been pretty much thousand needles/aqua breath-ing everything to death so far with everyone running !Blue/!Time, but those aren't scaling very well anymore.

In exdeath's castle you can get aeroga, level 3 flare, level 2 old, and a few other random spells. They're all very helpful and will carry you through pretty much everything until you get meteor and quick.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Lilli posted:

In exdeath's castle you can get aeroga, level 3 flare, level 2 old, and a few other random spells. They're all very helpful and will carry you through pretty much everything until you get meteor and quick.

I already have aeroga, and I tried to get level 3 flare in barrier tower but my dudes weren't the right level or anywhere close to it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

equip a wind knife with aeroga, it boosts wind damage the way the rods boost elemental damage. also in the next dungeon you get to control a rabbit and have them use white wind on you

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Fungah! posted:

quick glitch is lame, berserker it to death like the good lord intended

I'd rather a glitched kill than no kill. :colbert:

That said, I berserked it to death, myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmAbC3Dgjqs

.... Oh, hang on, you were talking about Shinryu, weren't you? :sweatdrop:

Ithaqua posted:

Blue, Time, and Beastmaster? I think the question is which really broken things can't you do. If you haven't grabbed White Wind yet, do so in Exdeath's Castle. All of the Level X spells are fun (except Graviga. Doesn't even bypass the heavy flag like the others do).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fungah! posted:

also animals is going to be bgreat for healing for the first part of the game, nightingale's good

yeah it helped a ton in the floating city right before the earth crystal. two rangers was definitely the way to go for that. i've got equip axes on my thief now, and the thief skill that raises agility on my berserker, so i have two fast strong dudes with death sickles which will hopefully carry me for a bit. I guess I'll put the multihit ranger skill on my dragoon eventually and call it a day. at least Dragoon is the coolest sounding and looking class in the game

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So for whatever reason, Gilgabot used my OLD Twitter that I deleted. Despite registering with the NEW Twitter, that uses the same login details (I deleted the old account, remade with a new name/e-mail, then changed the name/e-mail).

So I'm not showing as registered, and the other account looks open and registered, despite the other account being closed and the NEW account being register.

:suicide:

EDIT: Also getting the third degree on twitter from the dude.

Like, c'mon man. I'm asking for you to either reg me with Knight and Berserker Job-Fair'd to M.Knight or just change the username (whichever is easier/possible). Not for a million dollars wired to my bank account :psyduck:

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 23, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mabels big day posted:

yeah it helped a ton in the floating city right before the earth crystal. two rangers was definitely the way to go for that. i've got equip axes on my thief now, and the thief skill that raises agility on my berserker, so i have two fast strong dudes with death sickles which will hopefully carry me for a bit. I guess I'll put the multihit ranger skill on my dragoon eventually and call it a day. at least Dragoon is the coolest sounding and looking class in the game

yeah that's a real solid setup for now. i'd probably put rapidfire on your thief with the axe though, dragoon's jump does double damage with spears so it can do decent damage on its own. oh poo poo, almost forgot, before you leave world 1 there's a rare spear you can get witha thief, one sec while i look it up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah go back to the big desert and find a sand bear, they've got the third or fourth best spear on them as a common steal. no biggie if you missed it, you get one that's almost as good in a couple dungeons anyway

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Edward_Tohr posted:

Blue, Time, and Beastmaster? I think the question is which really broken things can't you do. If you haven't grabbed White Wind yet, do so in Exdeath's Castle. All of the Level X spells are fun (except Graviga. Doesn't even bypass the heavy flag like the others do).

I have white wind and I keep my time mage equipped with the heal staff so I'm pretty well set on healing. I'll keep an eye open for more level 5 spells, I have Lv 5 death which has been awesome so far.

Should I be keeping everyone in the back row and just using them as blue/time casters, or should I put the dancer up front and pray for sword dances? I know dancer + chicken knife can be awesome, albeit inconsistent.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Well, finally started my chaos run.

wind job: ninja
water: samurai

Looks like I almost got the 4 earth job run.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

Fungah! posted:

shinryu maybe. berserk it with the wonder wand, wear a mirage vest on your time mage and refresh it if it goes down, use phoenix downs to keep the berserkers up and hope for the best. if you want to go nuts you could put mirage vests on the berserkers too to keep them up a little longer

Hmm, Time Mage doesn't seem to be able to wear the Mirage Vest. Using GBA version and tried the Quick glitch on both of them and it didn't seem to do anything.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rocks fall...

...Neo Cactuar dies.

(oh and Omega and Shinryu too I guess.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to restart the run in a different registration? My current run got ruined by a bad save loading, but looking at what jobs I would had received...the run was just doomed to be a miserable boring run with Monk, Red Mage, Bard (only saving grace), and Dragoon. I honestly rather just do a chaos run instead, as that sounds more interesting to try then this.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fatigued posted:

Hmm, Time Mage doesn't seem to be able to wear the Mirage Vest. Using GBA version and tried the Quick glitch on both of them and it didn't seem to do anything.

oh yeah mages can't wear the mirage vest zuh zuh zuh. just slap it on a berserker, it's mostly in there to make it so you can take a hit on the time mage and keep swinging. it;''ll just be a lot dicier

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fatigued posted:

Quickleak works just fine on GBA.

Step 1: Cast Quick
Step 2: Snap a Venom Rod at someone on your team with a Reflect Ring
Step 3: Wait for Omega to die (about 5 hours realtime, 15-ish minutes fast forwarded)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to restart the run in a different registration? My current run got ruined by a bad save loading, but looking at what jobs I would had received...the run was just doomed to be a miserable boring run with Monk, Red Mage, Bard (only saving grace), and Dragoon. I honestly rather just do a chaos run instead, as that sounds more interesting to try then this.

monk is terrible BUT bard makes it not only a lot better but also one of the best damage classes in the game. barehand's damage formula's based almost entirely on level so if you throw on hero's rime or chemsit buffs it scales up like crazy. i vote roll with it

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Fatigued posted:

Nothing visible will happen, no, but their HP will steadily drain. It'll take a loving long-rear end time, but it'll eventually get done.

But yeah, if you can berserk Shinryu, it's definitely a more fun, if risky, option. More in the spirit of things, too. :v:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the back half of world 2'll be bad but basically as soon as you get past the pyramid you can go ssj and punch gods in the face, it'll be cool

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fungah! posted:

monk is terrible BUT bard makes it not only a lot better but also one of the best damage classes in the game. barehand's damage formula's based almost entirely on level so if you throw on hero's rime or chemsit buffs it scales up like crazy. i vote roll with it

Not a bad idea. Any other possible synergy with the classes?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fungah! posted:

yeah go back to the big desert and find a sand bear, they've got the third or fourth best spear on them as a common steal. no biggie if you missed it, you get one that's almost as good in a couple dungeons anyway

i keep trying to steal from them but it just keeps saying "couldn't steal!" i'm even using steal on my thief who has the thief gloves equipped.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Another Fartz triple crown. Blue Mage/Ninja/Bard/Ranger, so effectively easy mode. I forgot about the Wonder Wand in Fork Tower so I went into the Rift without doing it, and my hubris of how great this team was told him Shinryu would be fine even without it. It was not fine; Shinryu is a right bastard without Berserking him. I was too stubborn to go back out of the Rift to get it, so I kept smashing my face against him until finally the RNG fell in my favor.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rirse posted:

Not a bad idea. Any other possible synergy with the classes?

uhhh hm not a ton. dragoon doesn't synergize well but it's a decent heavy armor classes (heavy armor's really good). bard could buff red mage's magic but it won't matter a whole lot because the spells you're using are so weak and you get acess to the mage buff literally one dungeon before hero's rime. pretty much just use red mage for venom rods/elemental rods and use romeo's ballad to lock down enemy formations while monk and dragoon pick them off

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mabels big day posted:

i keep trying to steal from them but it just keeps saying "couldn't steal!" i'm even using steal on my thief who has the thief gloves equipped.

guide i was looking at is rong then, it's a rare steal, just keep trying. it's like 1/33 to hit it with thief gloves and like 1/50-60 without. the good news is that since it doesn't have a common steal item you can just keep trying.

or just say gently caress it tbqh, it's a really good spear for when you get it but you can live without it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fungah! posted:

guide i was looking at is rong then, it's a rare steal, just keep trying. it's like 1/33 to hit it with thief gloves and like 1/50-60 without. the good news is that since it doesn't have a common steal item you can just keep trying.

or just say gently caress it tbqh, it's a really good spear for when you get it but you can live without it

i just got it :woop:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mabels big day posted:

i just got it :woop:

hell yeah!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One weird thing about my Knight/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon chaos squad: I actually have more good legendary weapons to choose from than I can grab with a single tablet!

I mean I guess I'll take the swords and spear first because I can Twinlance/Chicken on the Ninja but that's still pretty funny

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 23, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

nuru posted:

I'm still getting used to abilities actually working on bosses. Bear with me here.

That is why ff5 is awesome. Status effects actually works on bosses. Now most the time there is only one or two status effects that work but it is still very helpful.

It actually allows you to be clever with certain builds and not just level grind.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Jesus, Ninja scrolls are obscenely strong. :stare: They're so cheap too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Okay, any Hot Tips for getting past Magissa with the amazing power of four Bards? My damage is not up to snuff and I'm getting wrecked. I figure next attempt I'll !Hide until she runs out of MP, but I can't rush her down before she summons her husband and I lose the damage race.

I'm mostly hoping the answer isn't either suck it up and grind more or use Freelancers like someone who isn't a drat dirty cheater. :(

• Locked thread