Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Essobie posted:

Speaking of which, when you are guys going to play again?

I actually installed RaceRoom this weekend since their DLC is half off for the sale and I'm thinking about picking up some of their car/track packages on the cheap just to get a better AI experience. Have any of you played it at all?

R3e is having a free weekend here soon, all cars and tracks for free to try out, i dont know exact date though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OhsH posted:

R3e is having a free weekend here soon, all cars and tracks for free to try out, i dont know exact date though.

Next weekend according to this image

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So if you didnt think SMS was already working on a sequel to p cars you dont understand games development, but SMS clearly dosent give a gently caress about PR and is already asking for crowdfunding for it
http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/project-cars-2/

Basticle fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 22, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Basticle posted:

So if you didnt think SMS was already working on a sequel to p cars you dont understand games development, but SMS clearly dosent give a gently caress about PR and is already asking for crowdfunding for it

nah

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basticle posted:

Oh this is going to be an incredible poo poo storm.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Whatever. People are always going to find something to complain. That said, I signed up. Again.

Also, I need to play more PCARS to begin with.

--edit: Apparently SMS is going to backport improvements done on PCARS2?
--edit2: Apparently not.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 22, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I thoroughly enjoy terse, heated posts typed out in the Internet's finest broken English.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sure I'm in if they want to make another one.

Better get my Indy dlc before then...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It'll take a few years to come out so I think it's alright, plenty of legs left in 1 yet

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on their feature list it feels like it's just going to be a rally focused version of the existing game. They could be full of poo poo but they're claiming they intend to fully support the existing pcars in parallel.

Not sure why they're branding it a sequel, they should have gone for Project Cars: Rally or something.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Project Cars 2 : Nerdrage Edition

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
What can i do about neverending loading screens? I did manage to load at least 4 races which worked fine once i ditched my wheel (windows 10 issues) for a xbox one controller. Now i'm trying to start the third round and the game just sticks on the loading screen. The little circle just spins and spins. It does the exact same thing on the "car setup" menu on the main menu screen and i'm sure in a few more places i've yet to discover. Is this a symptom just of a lovely computer, or is this still a Pcars issue?

Some background: Just picked up the game on steam.

Windows 10, whatever the latest version is.
3.2ghz phenom II black
4 GB lovely ram
GTX570

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Never had that happen myself. Could be win10 related?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basticle posted:

Not this time. I liked doing it last time, but my opinions on crowd funding have since changed. I think PCARS is a fantastic racing sim though, but i'm gonna wait this time for PCARS2 to hit retail before playing it.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Oh this is going to be an incredible poo poo storm.
Reasonably so I'd argue, given the litany of bugs with the current PCars that meaningfully to severely hinder the playability of the game.

You think they'd be smart enough to wait until squaring away issues with the current game before pushing for funding the next one. :eng99:

Edit: Felt like I missed out missing the funding of the first one when I discovered it ~10 months ago. After having played a good deal of PCars, I'm perfectly fine missing the funding of PCars2 if PCars 1 is this buggy on release (and still, almost two months on, has only had one patch that didn't even fix all the stuff it claims to have :smith:).

bUm fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 22, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bUm posted:

Reasonably so I'd argue, given the litany of bugs with the current PCars that meaningfully to severely hinder the playability of the game.

You think they'd be smart enough to wait until squaring away issues with the current game before pushing for funding the next one. :eng99:

This is pretty standard in the game industry. It's actually kinda required to start making a new game right away if they want to stay in business.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This is pretty standard in the game industry. It's actually kinda required to start making a new game right away if they want to stay in business.
I believe it, but I feel like things ought to be a little different for crowd funded games.

Could they not have relied on the profits of PCars to keep themselves afloat for 6 months and fix the major bugs with it and then wade balls-deep into funding a sequel? I feel like this would give them better support and even expand it among people who had a chance to see how they handled the first (I'd argue it seems poor post-release so far so hopefully they get their poo poo in gear if they want to even get as much funding as the first got).

bUm fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 22, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think the public nature of their funding has forced them into announcing this way earlier than people are used to, so they are losing their poo poo over it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

peter gabriel posted:

I think the public nature of their funding has forced them into announcing this way earlier than people are used to, so they are losing their poo poo over it.

It's hilarious.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

It might also be the nature of announcing a sequel before the first game gets some well needed patches

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
It just managed to crash while loading in such a way I couldn't even end it's process to restart it, and had to turn off the computer. Now that I shell out not only does nothing work but they are making another?! How do I get burned every time? (I also got AC)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ethanol posted:

It might also be the nature of announcing a sequel before the first game gets some well needed patches

Yeah there is that, although I think they will come, fingers crossed :D

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

My favorite bug is the Pit Crew putting tires on during my stop to have them fall into the red after a single lap. After I put 15 laps into the race...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have to admit I haven't played as much as I'd have liked, is it really that buggy?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No.

It's just really loving annoying when poo poo like that happens. I have 100 or so hours in and can only think of 3 times I've had to stop a race or session because of a bug I couldn't work around.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

No.

It's just really loving annoying when poo poo like that happens. I have 100 or so hours in and can only think of 3 times I've had to stop a race or session because of a bug I couldn't work around.

I've pootled around a bit and not had any issues, but not played a great deal.
From the various posts out there it sounds bad, but I don't get that vibe in game, it's good to hear opinions here.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

:siren: Next Goon Event :siren:

Info is here on the same google doc, new tab (maybe put this in OP?)

Group A
Thursday June 25th, 9PM Eastern (GMT-5)

Race 1 Brands Hatch

10 Laps
Mid Morning (10:00)
Medium Clouds

Race 2 Dubai Autodrome International

9 Laps
Early Evening (16:00)
Clear

Race 3 Imola

8 Laps
Late Evening (18:00)
Light Clouds

Basticle fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 23, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It just managed to crash while loading in such a way I couldn't even end it's process to restart it, and had to turn off the computer. Now that I shell out not only does nothing work but they are making another?! How do I get burned every time? (I also got AC)
I haven't heard of this issue so, as someone else said, it might be related to Windows 10 which is not supported yet. You should definitely use your standard Windows install before judging it so harshly since you are playing it on an, as yet, unsupported platform.

In the meantime, they have a pretty comprehensive list of known issues you can poke around to see if anyone in the threads for said issues has any possible remedies.

Norns posted:

My favorite bug is the Pit Crew putting tires on during my stop to have them fall into the red after a single lap. After I put 15 laps into the race...
So far I've had no issues just totally ignoring this bug. Happened during my 25 2.5 hour Bathurst invitational (using McLaren F1) and a couple times during my A/WEC races (RWD LMP1) and I just went with it. Tires still seemed to grip pretty well (still putting up competitive times with my best laps on appropriate temperature tires) and I didn't seem to run into issues with wear being a problem (what I assume the biggest issue with running on overheating tires would be?).

The latter issue of not having issues to wear might be a nice counter-bug of the player having drastically less tire wear than AI though, but as long as they don't fix one bug without fixing the other I haven't had it ruin a race yet, thankfully. Since I've only ran into the bug in the later stents of endurance races, it'd be quite infuriating if it did completely ruin your race though.

peter gabriel posted:

I have to admit I haven't played as much as I'd have liked, is it really that buggy?
The known issues list linked above kind of speaks for itself on how many notable bugs are in the game.

The big bugs pissing me off:
- AMD graphics drivers are still poo poo (not sure how much of the blame lies with AMD vs. SMS, but it's annoying). The top of the line AMD cards still have FPS on par with the 600-series nVidia. I'm on a 7950 and struggle running things (have stutter issues, even after doing their suggestions to reduce/eliminate stuttering) on medium at my god-awful-old resolution of 1440x900. My hardware isn't great, but it's sure as not should-be-running-poo poo-on-low level; I feel like if I can run most other recent games on high-ultra, PCars ought not be struggling on medium.
- Car setups resetting. Having to redo my car's tuning multiple times (keeps resetting everything to Default) every single race event is really, really aggravating. I've literally probably wasted over an hour of my life at this point just in 1~2 minute periods of going through every page of the car tuning to set things back to what they were after it wiped it to default over and over and over again.

The other big gripe (not sure if it's a bug or just bad game design) is the AI in multi-class races insist on racing their line and not having a blue-flag mechanism programmed in. This often results in either accidents or delays of multiple seconds while waiting for a better opportunity in their racing line to go for the pass. The fact that the AI has no handling issues off the track makes passing lapped/different class cars far easier for them (I have on multiple occasions watched AI pass AI off the track whilst I am held up waiting for them to not be hogging the only available road surface to make my pass).

I've also run into a few other lesser bugs (from minor to great severity), but those were either one-off or not game breaking (red hot tires after pitting, for example).

With the way this game was being tested throughout development, I am kind of surprised by how many bugs they shipped it with (even if that's the standard these days :goonsay:) and, further still, am aghast that the only major, widely-prevailing bug they've fixed in almost two months is AI running freakishly fast in the rain (never mind that they claimed to have fixed the tuning resetting bug when they haven't :argh:).

To directly answer the question: yes and no. It's still quite playable, but it's buggy enough to be frustrating (unless you pretty much only play AI-less online with no practice/qualifying to have to muck with setup stuff... in which case you're avoiding the most offensive issues).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Wowzers, thanks for that, I'll have a read of that link.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Basticle posted:

Group A
Thursday June 25th, 9PM Eastern (GMT-5)

Oh man, you guys are running my favorite cars too :(

If I didn't have to work Friday morning i'd totally be down to join in on this, looks like it's gonna be a blast.

Speaking of fun, just did a quick race on Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile with a 20 car grid of Ginetta G40s. That was a total riot, that car is real fun to get sideways through those turns :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Looking at the WMD page now I'm at home and they seem to want to go beyond being the new Race Driver and try to be a combined Grid/Dirt. Which is a solid concept and if I have £50 to spare I'd consider buying in just to play the builds during development. Mostly though I just want officially licensed series' and single season options in the sequel. I know they're not going to get Formula 1 but it can't be too hard to get Formula 3, GP2, Formula E etc. Also more touring cars.

Also I just noticed that the iRacing twitter follows the Project CARS twitter, which I find hilarious.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 23, 2015

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I know the steam sale just ended, but I'm consuming picking this up on pc since the community seems more active (here). I already have it for ps4, so I'm reluctant to double dip. How well does it run?

i5-2500k
GTX 570
4 GB cheapo DDR3

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Eehhh stick with ps4.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Fixed Pcars i think, verifying the local files and restarting a few times did it. Guess it works with windows 10. (Logitech wheel does not)

Whats the mod situation like? Can i download miatas and initial D maps? Rainbow road? Maple Valley?

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

dog nougat posted:

I know the steam sale just ended, but I'm consuming picking this up on pc since the community seems more active (here). I already have it for ps4, so I'm reluctant to double dip. How well does it run?

i5-2500k
GTX 570
4 GB cheapo DDR3

I'm running something pretty drat similar (i7-2600k though), and it's more than fine running at 1080p @ ~60-ish.
Granted you can't turn all the bells and whistles on - but you can turn most of them on and have no dramas at all. Unless you're racing on Sakita then your FPS will plummet for some stupid reason. gently caress that track. Personally, even if you have an absurdly high power PC that could run at 4K @ 120, I still wouldn't double dip though.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Basticle posted:

I will do this.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

dog nougat posted:

i5-2500k
GTX 570
4 GB cheapo DDR3

I have the same CPU, a 560 and 8GB. Game runs like a champ.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

I have the same CPU, a 560 and 8GB. Game runs like a champ.

Still wouldnt hurt investing in some new ram.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have the same ram and same video card actually. Runs buttery smooth when it does load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Going from 4 to 8 gb is a huge quality of life improvement that everyone should do (also a solid state drive) and not even for strictly gaming reasons.

• Locked thread