Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ultramiraculous posted:

Except usually senioritis means you get lovely and lazy. Jon is saying "gently caress it" and being amazing.

So another lovely cop drama where the detectives are able to improbably solve crimes at the last minute using magic/"science"/"cyber"?

Yep! It's basically lovely spider sense without the other powers and a pro-thoughtcrime bent because Fox(I'm sure there will be pro-torture scenes within 3 episodes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLl-DMzxrk

Also I agree that Jon is doing whatever the gently caress he wants in his last 6 weeks, but it is in n way lazy or lovely. He's earned the chance to finally tell democratic senators he interviewed over the years what boring shitlords they are and do non-joke episodes when utter insanity like an admitted racist shoots a bunch of black people and the right somehow tries to claim it's not about racism or guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Onomarchus posted:

"lovely and lazy" is what I was getting at. He essentially copped to the laziness. How lovely is debatable, as it was indeed attention-getting and even interesting, but I could say the same if he did the show nude and just read from the newspaper.

Have you even been watching the show

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

raditts posted:

Have you even been watching the show

"He hasn't decapitated Bill O'Reilly yet and dumped the remains in an eco-friendly composter - he's totally slacking off."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"He hasn't decapitated Bill O'Reilly yet and dumped the remains in an eco-friendly composter - he's totally slacking off."

Gotta save something for the final episode.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

"lovely and lazy" is what I was getting at. He essentially copped to the laziness. How lovely is debatable, as it was indeed attention-getting and even interesting, but I could say the same if he did the show nude and just read from the newspaper.

It reminded me a lot of the first episode after 9/11. It was a good talk.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IRQ posted:

Yep! It's basically lovely spider sense without the other powers and a pro-thoughtcrime bent because Fox(I'm sure there will be pro-torture scenes within 3 episodes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLl-DMzxrk

Also I agree that Jon is doing whatever the gently caress he wants in his last 6 weeks, but it is in n way lazy or lovely. He's earned the chance to finally tell democratic senators he interviewed over the years what boring shitlords they are and do non-joke episodes when utter insanity like an admitted racist shoots a bunch of black people and the right somehow tries to claim it's not about racism or guns.

What democratic senators got that treatment?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Daily Show is getting kinda meta tonight.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

That Obama bit on Nightly was ridiculous. Journalism is a loving rotting corpse, hardly distinguishable from TMZ.
Am I the only one who still watches these shows or...

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

raditts posted:

That Obama bit on Nightly was ridiculous. Journalism is a loving rotting corpse, hardly distinguishable from TMZ.
Am I the only one who still watches these shows or...

The shows they are taking clips from? No, a lot of people 40+ still watch cable news to gain the majority of their information on everything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

No, I meant Daily/Nightly, because there hasn't been a single other post in the thread over the last hour. I know there are way too many people that use cable news shitshows as their information sources.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I watch. I just didn't have any hot takes.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The Daily Show metahumor was amazing tonight.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Holy poo poo that Moment of Zen

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I watch and agree with the meta statement about tonight's Daily. Also the entire Nightly bit about Obama saying friend of the family was insightful and entertaining.

I'm going to resume lurking now. God bless.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Mr. Fowl posted:

Holy poo poo that Moment of Zen

I dozed off a bit at the end. What happened?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I watch TDS, but not live.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Cerony posted:

I dozed off a bit at the end. What happened?

One of the folks over at Fox was trying to throw an axe at a target, and threw it over the target and into a guy's loving arm. :stonk:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I have this image of O'Reilly or Hannity yelling, "How dare Obama use the n-word! That's our word, he's got no right to use it!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

I watch and agree with the meta statement about tonight's Daily. Also the entire Nightly bit about Obama saying friend of the family was insightful and entertaining.

I'm going to resume lurking now. God bless.

I have to wonder how many of the cable news talking heads that were freaking out about it actually listened to the show, or even just the couple of seconds that were necessary for context. Somehow every single one of them missed the point and that's kind of amazing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I usually don't watch TDS and TNS until the next day. So this thread doesn't get my response until the then.

Yeah, the n-word stuff is a huge non-troversy. Racist white people will never be satisfied with any explanation on why black people don't face the same consequences as white people for saying it. As much as they pretend it's about setting a consistent standard of use (because they see racism as social protocol rather than power); they just hate the idea that black people might get away with something that white people can't.

I remember Jay Smooth saying something like "This isn't a double standard. These are just standards."

I did like the meta-bit with Stewart mocking all the white people praising him for stating the obvious.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Mo_Steel posted:

One of the folks over at Fox was trying to throw an axe at a target, and threw it over the target and into a guy's loving arm. :stonk:

Even the MLB has safety nets.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

It was the most honest mistake someone at Fox has ever made.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Trump: I am the best at military

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Trump is 2nd in a new poll in NH after Bush :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maxwell Lord posted:

Trump: I am the best at military

Trump: I am very smart

Trump is gold, pure gold!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I can't help but feel the universe is giving Jon a Trump candidacy as a present for all of his years of service.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Winkie01 posted:

Trump is 2nd in a new poll in NH after Bush :allears:

I am choosing to believe they're all trolling.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Stupider Ascending" :allears:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jesus, The Nightly Show had a killer ending.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He speaks not from cynicism, but from profound, unrepentant, retardation.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, gently caress Bill O'Reilly.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Wilmore has been crushing it lately. The show had gotten off to a rocky start but it's clear when he talks about the issues that matter to him (inequality, racism), he absolutely shines.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

With all this talk about the confederate flag over the SC capital building, and padlocks, and community votes... how is it that someone with an RV helicopter, a lighter and some ducktape hasn't taken care of this problem already?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

With all this talk about the confederate flag over the SC capital building, and padlocks, and community votes... how is it that someone with an RV helicopter, a lighter and some ducktape hasn't taken care of this problem already?
I am surprised that there hasn't been any vandalism. Having the flag being burned every couple days would be great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JazzFlight posted:

I am surprised that there hasn't been any vandalism. Having the flag being burned every couple days would be great.

Quite a lot of Confederate monuments and statues have been vandalized in the past few days, but with spraypaint rather than fire.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really enjoyed Stewart's Stalinism metaphor.

There's more "The Five" drama happening. Why did Sam Bee have to leave? :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Echo Chamber posted:

I really enjoyed Stewart's Stalinism metaphor.

There's more "The Five" drama happening. Why did Sam Bee have to leave? :(

Bring her in as a surprise. as he begins to wrap up I expect to see a lot of familiar faces

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When John Hodgman "returned" for the first montage of Stewart clips I was hoping they'd all be introduced by returning correspondents. It would have been cool to see a lot of the ones from the early seasons, fun to see people get mad at Olivia Munn, and a cool moment to see Colbert or Carrell. I'm very disappointed its just been a random mix of guests and current correspondents.

But yeah, I hope the last episode has all the old correspondents show up. Would be a good send off.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can't see Jon closing up shop without Stephen Colbert showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I hope the last episode ends with a callback to an ancient joke years and years ago about what the future of the show would be. I can't even imagine what this joke is but I'm sure there's many candidates in the archives.

Much like I hoped Colbert's show would end with a final shot of the darkened studio with Michael Stipe still sitting on the shelf going "Hello? ...hello?"

• Locked thread