Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I guess u gotta play to find out, which would necessitate you not posting here for a while at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Saint Freak posted:

Uppercut a dude into the air and the batmobile assist opens fire on him with a minigun. Outstanding. It's uh, a nonlethal minigun.

Rubber bullets. Honest.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Or sandbags, those are a thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The combat and predator gameplay, at least as far as I am, has a lot of fundamental improvements over City and combat in particular is a ton of fun.

The Batmobile honestly does get better as you get further into the game. It's the weakest part but I think the forced element of it in the tutorial works against it because it is shoved so hard in your face. It's actually used pretty creatively in some of the other areas and it stops being quite so front and center. Batmobile combat is pretty eh but it isn't bad, it just happens to be in the same game as a fuckin' fantastic combat system.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

I guess u gotta play to find out, which would necessitate you not posting here for a while at least.

think of my posting here as me furiously humping the leg of the game as it gradually awakes bleary eyed from its launch day cocaine hangover

in all seriousness poo poo talking a game i just bought and haven't played yet is kind of a dick move. i think it's just a coping mechanism from the months of hype; like an acid flashback rendition of a 13 second live action trailer for some preorder dlc

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 24, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

The combat and predator gameplay, at least as far as I am, has a lot of fundamental improvements over City and combat in particular is a ton of fun.

The Batmobile honestly does get better as you get further into the game. It's the weakest part but I think the forced element of it in the tutorial works against it because it is shoved so hard in your face. It's actually used pretty creatively in some of the other areas and it stops being quite so front and center. Batmobile combat is pretty eh but it isn't bad, it just happens to be in the same game as a fuckin' fantastic combat system.

Yeah, the combat by far and large has been vastly improved. From little tweaks such as letting you do silent takedowns when being in the general vicinity of an enemy (rather than having to be in very fixed positions), to the sheer variety of combos moves you can now do between enemies, it all just adds up to and almost liquid fluidity. Which is pretty impressive for a system that was already as smooth as it was.

Plus there's new enemy types that aren't just a rehash of old ones who actually mix up the combat quite a bit.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Flytrap posted:

Or sandbags, those are a thing.

Yeah I think it's a beanbag gun, the ui for it says riot suppressor

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
for whatever reason after reinstalling the game i can turn on all of the nvidia stuff and the game runs fine and I haven't crashed yet so idk. Volumetric smoke is neat when you're peeling out in the batmobile

fun game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fear takedowns own and I wish they had a silent variant.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also the batmobile takedown is fun as hell I will beanbag the nuts off dudes forever

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

That'd be horribly overpowered.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No Batman stop... What are you doing?...

That is inappropriate Batman.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

so did they ever fix Arkham Origins?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That'd be horribly overpowered.

Does overpowered matter in a game where the combat consists of mashing one button over and over again and occasionally pressing one other button?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My favorite thing about the new combat is actually being able to hit people on the ground instead of whiffing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dogen posted:

Yeah I think it's a beanbag gun, the ui for it says riot suppressor

Seems to me getting pelted with 100 beanbags in three seconds from a vulcan gun/cannon would result in enough blunt force trauma to be fatal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

My favorite thing about the new combat is actually being able to hit people on the ground instead of whiffing.

Yeah, ALL of the ground-based stuff is way faster. You can now pick guys up, do ground-pounds with greater reliability and just straight up hit dudes on the ground more regularly.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, ALL of the ground-based stuff is way faster. You can now pick guys up, do ground-pounds with greater reliability and just straight up hit dudes on the ground more regularly.

agreed. I especially like the new counter throw. I just countered and threw an interrogation dude into the 2 other dudes who were left, taking them out and leaving me to interrogate the guy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Holy poo poo the environment specials where you jump up and cut the hanging lights with a batarang and piledrive them into someone's face, and the one where you throw dudes into the fuse box and they fry.

Edit VV Word

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 24, 2015

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

^ :hfive:

Environmental Takedowns are the best thing. The first time I cut down a light and rammed it into some poor saps head was a moment of jaw dropping magic.

There's just something wonderful about ramming the head of the brute style thugs into an electrical box and watching them get fried.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My favorite thing about Arkham Knight is how Batman's takedowns look more lethal than Red Hood's.

And Red Hood's takedowns involve shooting people in the face.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Does overpowered matter in a game where the combat consists of mashing one button over and over again and occasionally pressing one other button?

It's easy to forget when you're posting in a forum that doesn't probate you on sight.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's extra funny if you've rescued Oracle

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

These games aren't even button mashers yet it's such a common complaint...you'll punch thin air if you start trying to mash.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Holy poo poo, Man-Bat just scared the gently caress out of me!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

when stopped you can hold the afterburner button to charge it up so when you press gas you see some serious poo poo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Batmobile is terrible. Ruined the game for me.

What a loving failure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Funky Valentine posted:

Seeing dudes in the background freaking out and wildly spraying bullets everywhere, knowing that it isn't going to help at all and this thing is coming for them next is so great.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

If you're playing on hard you will have a bad time just striking and countering. Its pretty much required to use gadgets and special takedowns. I'm really liking the refinements to the combat. My only complaint is there don't seem to be any challenge maps like the older games that let me use all the characters. Maybe I'll unlock some as I progress.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Whoever put "maxfps 30" in the .ini config file should live the rest of his/her life in shame and never work in the gaming industry again.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

JFC posted:

Holy poo poo, Man-Bat just scared the gently caress out of me!

Right? I knew he was coming at some point, but drat. What an entrance.

I've got an i5-4590 with a GTX 770, and it's running pretty lovely, but I figured it was my machine's fault. If I put everything at low, it's definitely playable and still looks good when the textures stream properly. At least it's only day one, and there's still a faint hope for a patch. I'm still really enjoying it. :shrug:

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 24, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I've been running this on ps4 and only had one glitch during a riddler. Also, in another one [spoiler]The flight school gliding one[spoiler] it took me, no joke like loving half an hour or so, and the game eventually felt sorry for me and gave me a shortcut. Which took me another ten minutes to beat. I am bad at videogames.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
:catstare: I am the Batman.
This game is great, very atmospheric with everything cranked. All the crazy smoke/fog and Batmobile destruction is making me gleefully giggle.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Sorry if this has already been answered...but what the gently caress why are some missions not starting? I fully downloaded and installed on PS4. Go to do first Riddler mission, this garage door is supposed to open, and it won't. Game doesn't seem to indicate that I can't actually start this mission yet.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I just started the game but so far I think the bat mobile is pretty sweet. Not seeing the hate but maybe it gets annoying later on?

pretend to care posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered...but what the gently caress why are some missions not starting? I fully downloaded and installed on PS4. Go to do first Riddler mission, this garage door is supposed to open, and it won't. Game doesn't seem to indicate that I can't actually start this mission yet.

It takes a million years to actually download the rest of the game for some reason and that's why the garage isn't opening. I read online if you restart the PS4 and the game it fixes it or at least helps.

InFlames235 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 24, 2015

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

pretend to care posted:

are you in the batmobile

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Yeah I'm in it. I guess maybe poo poo is still downloading in the background without actually saying so?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hey guys 10/10 game, right? No, but seriously. Should a game seriously be rated 10/10 based on the game working flawlessly, or should technical issues be taken into consideration? At least on initial reviews.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 24, 2015

acksplode
May 17, 2004

pretend to care posted:

Yeah I'm in it. I guess maybe poo poo is still downloading in the background without actually saying so?

Welcome to the background download feature for Sony Playtstation 4 :))))))))))))

If you want to see your actual download progress, back out to the dashboard and bring up options on the game and choose Information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

pretend to care posted:

maybe? I don't have a ps4. Does the option to do the riddler mission appear in your mission select wheel thing?

• Locked thread