Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Mr Handy can be a companion! :dance:

e: it's news to me at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
People seem to be totally missing the guy's question still - I think he means to ask "can you have more than one follower at the time". Would be nice, I guess. The old Fallouts used CHA/2 rounded down (or was it up?) to determine max followers but unless you enjoyed getting gang banged by automatic fire then I donno why you ever would want to have that many (or any) followers.

Never used followers in FO3 (except to test the Super Mutant tells you "but thou must" at the end) and only used followers to complete their quests in NV, then it was off to a life of pampering in the Lucky 38. The dog in FO4 seems neat enough but I hope it likes hanging around with the robot for months on end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Never used followers in FO3 (except to test the Super Mutant tells you "but thou must" at the end) and only used followers to complete their quests in NV, then it was off to a life of pampering in the Lucky 38. The dog in FO4 seems neat enough but I hope it likes hanging around with the robot for months on end.

I don't usually use them either, but one thing I kind of hope they do in FO4 is incorporate the Robco Certified mod that guy made for New Vegas because I love it. It lets you repair robots and turn them into companions, and it's fun to have a robot that's got your back when you're in enemy territory that you can just dismiss and destroy when you don't need it anymore.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Nuebot posted:

I don't usually use them either, but one thing I kind of hope they do in FO4 is incorporate the Robco Certified mod that guy made for New Vegas because I love it. It lets you repair robots and turn them into companions, and it's fun to have a robot that's got your back when you're in enemy territory that you can just dismiss and destroy when you don't need it anymore.

I loved using Robco with unlimited (or at least a much higher) robot limit with the Warzones and IWS mods cranked to the max. It was amazing walking into a giant battle and then having a squad of lobotomites, sentry bots, and robo-deathclaws run in to just gently caress everything up.

I think if it had been just a little more stable (I got plenty of CTDs) I would probably do it again.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, RobCo Certified is basically my favorite mod, I first turned it on for a mad scientist run and loving loved being able to create a Sentrybot/Securitron/Robobrain/Mister Gusty hybrid abomination. Oh, and being able to turn Mr. House into a unique Robobrain. So much goddamn fun, so I hope the devs are paying attention to that one.

^^Edit: I should fool around with IWS more, I got turned off from it due to my companions getting killed constantly, but with easily revivable robots that sounds really goddamn fun. I just wish bots with multiple weapons handled switching/deciding which to use better instead of sitting still and thinking about it for 10 seconds.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 24, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Yeah, this is basically where I stand. It's just a shame the voices are so (sorry about opening this can of worms:) white--it feels even more limiting than it could potentially have been. Friend of mine and I were talking about how a voice actor like Kimberly Brooks could conceivably play anyone of any race or background but white voice actors always just sound like white voice actors.

I mentioned this to Pete Hines on Twitter and got into a long discussion with randos about reverse racism (lmao) and then /r/fallout circlejerked over how I'm a SJW so hopefully y'all are a little more thoughtful than that.

this is a totally legit point similar to the 'railroaded into a straight relationship' one. again, who actually wanted a voiced protagonist? it's not as if it's a thing where people didn't know they wanted it until they saw it either; the general reception seems to be at best ambivalent.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want to be voiced by Idris Elba.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Won't be surprised if this becomes a Mass Effect scenario where the male voice is boring poo poo and the female voice owns bones.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The real news is that you will eventually be able to recruit your spouse as a companion. Like other party members (including those from all previous "canon" Fallout games), you can speak to your spouse outside of combat, but whereas you would ordinarily learn about the character's background or ideologies through these conversations, the spouse dialogue is (apparently) dedicated to reminiscing about mutual past experiences. Basically a lot of "remember when we...?" stories that are supposed to provide additional optional exposition for your character. It sounds like the remaining dialogue and combat "barks" are mostly passive-aggressive jabs, however, like, "I've seen that building before--are you sure you know where you're going?" (when spending too long in a particular area) and "Isn't it a little early to be drinking, honey?" (when drinking any sort of alcohol before 5 PM).

I guess the associated spousal perk will cause the spouse to periodically choose a dialogue response for you when speaking to other NPCs.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
So I can take Black Widow and cuck my husband? Truly a game for goons.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Rollofthedice posted:

Won't be surprised if this becomes a Mass Effect scenario where the male voice is boring poo poo and the female voice owns bones.

It'll depend entirely on how good bethesda's direction is.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rollofthedice posted:

Based on what little we know of the guy, maybe. He's largely an unknown, whereas the female voice actress has proven herself in other properties like Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect 2 & 3.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I hope there's an option so you can switch to voices done by the VAs for Maggie Chow and JC Denton, of Deus Ex fame. That or Keanu Reeves.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

It was news to me too when I found out yesterday sometime. So happy about that, Sergeant RL-3/Wadsworth were a lot of fun in FO3, now I get a combat robot butler THAT KNOWS MY NAME

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The real news is that you will eventually be able to recruit your spouse as a companion. Like other party members (including those from all previous "canon" Fallout games), you can speak to your spouse outside of combat, but whereas you would ordinarily learn about the character's background or ideologies through these conversations, the spouse dialogue is (apparently) dedicated to reminiscing about mutual past experiences. Basically a lot of "remember when we...?" stories that are supposed to provide additional optional exposition for your character. It sounds like the remaining dialogue and combat "barks" are mostly passive-aggressive jabs, however, like, "I've seen that building before--are you sure you know where you're going?" (when spending too long in a particular area) and "Isn't it a little early to be drinking, honey?" (when drinking any sort of alcohol before 5 PM).

I guess the associated spousal perk will cause the spouse to periodically choose a dialogue response for you when speaking to other NPCs.

Oh you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I hope there's an option so you can switch to voices done by the VAs for Maggie Chow and JC Denton, of Deus Ex fame. That or Keanu Reeves.

I would love a Keanu Reeves idiot savant mod where every line is just "Whoa" and everyone understands what you really mean.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Lotish posted:

I would love a Keanu Reeves idiot savant mod where every line is just "Whoa" and everyone understands what you really mean.

The new low-INT run. Or would it be low-CHA?

Both?

Edit: I joked earlier about having one of the personalities being "do the line like it was a question" but I'd legitimately like a personality type that just repeats keywords as a question a la Neo or Solid Snake, as a way of advancing the plot without contributing anything or having a personality.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 24, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Spouse: How are you doing?

Player: [Good] [Bad] [Trade] [Let's gently caress]

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You joke, but the acting direction for JC was actually extremely good. Emotionally muting the VA allows the player to project whatever emotion they want onto it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Personally I like when companions get involved instead of being silent mules, so please, speak your mind, honey.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Hopefully the cisfem's voice sounds a bit more gender neutral so i can hide under my power armor and be the wastelandxir I was always meant to be.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mordaedil posted:

Somebody earlier was wondering why the Great Khans in New Vegas didn't have their own culture that they brought with them in terms of music and stuff.

I think we can blame this shithead: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Jerry_(Fallout:_New_Vegas)

"Radscorpion bites,
my foot in the box canyon.
Ow, ow, ow, ow... ow."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lotish posted:

Personally I like when companions get involved instead of being silent mules, so please, speak your mind, honey.

"I can't help but notice you're going through Stimpaks like you did with our savings..."

"You know what? I wish you'd never paid for that vault! Then we'd both be dead and I wouldn't have to listen to you anymore!"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I also love how people are getting bent out of shape at the fact that you have a back story, as if that somehow upsets the balance of the universe.

You are a middle aged man/woman, have a house in the suburbs, young kid, new car, white picket fence... sound familiar?

Yeah, the time before the war was supposed to be some idealized vision of 1950's America. You live the American Dream for all of 30 minutes before everyone you know is killed off and the world destroyed. When you wake up, your slate is pretty much wiped clean and you can do as you please. God forbid you were a "normal" person once upon a time. I'm sure there's all sorts of stupid poo poo you can do in the prologue to help you roleplay, too.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 24, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"I can't help but notice you're going through Stimpaks like you did with our savings..."

"You know what? I wish you'd never paid for that vault! Then we'd both be dead and I wouldn't have to listen to you anymore!"

I want this so badly.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lotish posted:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:pray: yes please

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I also love how people are getting bent out of shape at the fact that you have a back story, as if that somehow upsets the balance of the universe.

You are a middle aged man/woman, have a house in the suburbs, young kid, new car, white picket fence... sound familiar?

Yeah, the time before the war was supposed to be some idealized vision of 1950's America. You live the American Dream for all of 30 minutes before everyone you know is killed off and the world destroyed. When you wake up, your slate is pretty much wiped clean and you can do as you please. God forbid you were a "normal" person once upon a time. I'm sure there's all sorts of stupid poo poo you can do in the prologue to help you roleplay, too.

It's the difference between playing as a character and controlling a character. Both can be good, obviously- Mario or Doom aren't any less fun because I don't play the role of the main character- but people tend to expect certain things from certain series, and Fallout has not previously been a game where you select a dialogue option and then watch your character say a rough approximation of what you picked, etc. If Fallout 4 was unveiled as a 2D shoot 'em up a bunch of people would inexplicably not be into it, even though that style of gameplay has been done very well in games such as Gradius and Ikaruga.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

K8.0 posted:

Emotionally muting the VA allows the player to project whatever emotion they want onto it.

No it doesn't.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

chitoryu12 posted:

So other than LA Noire, could we get some concrete examples of dialogue options where the option reads one thing but the character does something completely different?

The Wolf Among Us has a scene in which your rival breaks down and confesses that the only thanks he ever gets is a free drink. When your choices come up, one of the options is GLASS HIM. Apparently, GLASS HIM means smashing his head in and not buying him a glass to drink.

It ended up being pretty funny.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Apparently, GLASS HIM means smashing his head in and not buying him a glass to drink.

It's a pretty common term in the UK, NZ, Australia. I think Glasgow is notorious for people receiving a good old fashioned glassing.
There's also a 'telephone' where you receive a beer jug to the head. Extra special people take a collect call.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If I didn't know "glass" meant "hit with glass" the only other context I'd have for it would be something like Halo where they shoot lasers at a planet to kill everyone on the surface and it's called "glassing" because the heat of the lasers is hot enough to melt sand into glass. I sure wouldn't want to do that to a guy.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Want a perk where your character is mute, and communicates through your dog which barks each word you would otherwise say aloud in succession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkUvd4nzfBw

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

tell me more about this incredibly subtle symbolism

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

So other than LA Noire, could we get some concrete examples of dialogue options where the option reads one thing but the character does something completely different?

A lot of Telltale games from what I understand.

Come to think of it, the the four dialogue options might also be aping from those games.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's a pretty restricting role. I'd like to be not straight when I could be my actual orientation in the last game and am dealing with a medium already oversaturated with heterosexual protagonists.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 24, 2015

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

quote:

Game director, Todd Howard: "We know we sacrificed some great storytelling [by allowing] the player to do whatever they want."

quote:

Lead designer, Emil Pagliarulo: "If you play Fallout 3, you know, Liam Neeson is the voice of your dad, and there are some good emotional beats there, but there's only so much you can do when you're clicking on a line of dialog and there's no spoken response. So the emotional depth that we got by having a voiced protagonist has actually [made the story] way more tense than I ever expected."
Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-4s-voiced-protagonists-make-story-better/

Translation: Expect more Essential NPCs, brain-dead dialog, and awful attempts at pathos.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Truly the Fallout way of things. Constricting the player with the all mighty story was always one of the highpoints of the series.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you a story: When I was a child, I grabbed all of the spices and seasonings out of the kitchen, went into the backyard, dug a hole in the sand, filled it with dirty water, and began adding random amounts of condiments into this brew while chanting, "Monster brew! Monster brew! Monster brew!" over and over again. I didn't really know where the brew was headed, but that was okay because, looking back, I didn't even really know what the "Monster Brew" was. I was just a child pouring marjoram and white pepper into a hole in the ground; each addition pushed the brew towards some unseen, unknowable goal.

Lead designer, Emil Pagliarulo: "...having a voiced protagonist has actually [made the story] way more tense than I ever expected."

PC Gamer : "Fallout 4 is so big, its lead producer [Jeff Gardiner] hasn't seen everything it has to offer."

Todd Howard: "I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. It's pure chaos."

Should we be worried that Bethesda doesn't seem to know what it's doing with Fallout 4? Or what Fallout 4 even is? Will Fallout 4 be another "Monster Brew"?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 24, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Tastee posted:

It's a pretty restricting role. I'd like to be not straight when I could be my actual orientation in the last game and am dealing with a medium already oversaturated with heterosexual protagonists.

It's a video game, you heterophobic weirdo. :frogout:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

They're so confused they don't even know what pants are! You an equip individual pant legs! MADNESS!

Mr Tastee posted:

Dunno many games where you get to play a mom. I think that's pretty cool. I've played gay in a lot of things, so at least this meaningless checkbox that amounts to maybe 10 new lines of dialogue is new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

It's a video game, you heterophobic weirdo. :frogout:

Please tell me you're joking.

• Locked thread