Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
"Excessive vibration..?"

1998 Kawasaki KLR 650 $1200
http://lansing.craigslist.org/mcy/5087916476.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

20k isn't a lot for a single unless it hasn't been properly maintained.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Digital_Jesus posted:

20k isn't a lot for a single unless it hasn't been properly maintained.

Yeah mine is screaming up on 20 thou. Its a paintshaker at higher revs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Stop posting, go buy it!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
If it were me I'd rather have an older one for the same price and fewer miles.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Dutymode posted:

If it were me I'd rather have an older one for the same price and fewer miles.

Street legal small duallies are pretty rare here. Older ones with less miles within any sort of riding distance are/in riding shape are, like, $700 more.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Here any D/S or something with a plate commends a 3-4k pricetag.

Bay area prices are just dumb in general though.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Something for BMW aficionados, perhaps? ; https://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/5044442950.html
This popped up on my local craigslist a little while back and I never got around to looking it up on Boise's (at least until recently).

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

M42 posted:

Street legal small duallies are pretty rare here. Older ones with less miles within any sort of riding distance are/in riding shape are, like, $700 more.

Get it then! Worst case you replace the engine for less than $700, right?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Stop posting, go buy it!

I'm in a position to, but I'm not even sure where I would ride it. I have my Sportster for commuting, street use, etc. I'm not AGAINST superfluous owning of bikes. Like, would I trail ride this thing?

I kind of want to pick up a sport bike / sport touring next anyways. Like a Sprint ST or something.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gonna go see that XT tomorrow. If there's anything specific I should keep an eye out, lemme know!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Maybe get some oil out of it to look for metal flakes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Since this is the closest thing we have to a 'poo poo you find on craigslist' thread...

Good:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/5082623937.html

Bad:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/5083387325.html

I'm really curious what "long hours of professional fab work" were done besides the seat pan that is welded on and the frame loop
What's equally as upsetting is that he ditched the front disc for a drum. (or an entirely different front end)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
"Needs" makes it sound like nothing was done to it mechanically after they untangled it from a blackberry bush.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Words and Pictures!

I was beginning to wonder if asceticism was a new trend in cafe racer builds. Turns out, no, it just needs an actual seat.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Grind off battery cover tabs, weld in sheet across frame, spray nazi skull stencil on tank equals $4000 and many hours worth of custom work.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/5068647572.html $2700

reminds me of a Schwinny stingray supermoto cafe

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
That thing rules.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 26, 2015

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That thing rules.
Agreed, however not $2700 worth of rules

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That headlight is literally a Schwinn headlight. I have an old 70s shwinn in the other room with the exact same lamp. It couldn't light its way out of a paper bag. At least that custom was properly done. And by done I mean finished.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

In the video the builder talks about all the issues it has, wheels failing, leaking oil, chain skipping teeth.

Probably shouldn't have put that link in the add.

Cowbert
Dec 17, 2005

this is so awesome.
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/5097432106.html

Hmmmmmm.. :crossarms: I really don't need this bike, but the low price and "MUST SELL IMMEDIATELY AAHH :supaburn:" makes it awfully tempting..

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Hard to believe that handlebar got bent like that from a driveway drop. Mine tipped over after the kickstand sunk which leveraged the bottom up so put even more weight on the bar when it landed and still didn't bend the bars.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I would just accept the fact that 99% of the time when someone says "driveway" drop they're not being honest and are too afraid to tell buyers they went down at speed.

I have no idea why you'd be so bashful when your bike looks like that but YMMV.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tanbo posted:

Hard to believe that handlebar got bent like that from a driveway drop. Mine tipped over after the kickstand sunk which leveraged the bottom up so put even more weight on the bar when it landed and still didn't bend the bars.

Because every tip-over is the same? That handlebar damage seems about right for a driveway or parking lot drop. It also looks like it happened forever ago.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
My handlebar wasn't bent nearly that much when I bought my Ninjette, and they had crashed badly enough to scrape away half of the ball at the end of the brake lever, the corner of the front brake reservoir, bend the poo poo out of the shifter linkage, dent up the tank on both sides, and crack the plastics to hell. Mine had a quarter of the miles, too, and I paid a bit less for it. The price is OK but not amazing.

I did end up buying a brand new bar from Ron.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I had a supermoto which was pushed over one night in the city here. Ended up bending one of the bars a few inches or so forwards. I didn't see what bike that was, but I doubt it had as much height as my XT660.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Hello! Sort of a reverse question of the purpose of this thread. I have a 2007 Suzuki GS500 with 8,000 miles on it that I need to sell. It has pretty much sat dormant in a warm climate for the past three years. Tank is rusted, probably needs to have the carbs cleaned and rebuilt, and a general flushing of the engine- plus whatever else might need to be fixed up.

Sadly, I don't have time to repair it myself before I move in a month. Any idea how much I should be able to sell it for in the current condition?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gstu posted:

Hello! Sort of a reverse question of the purpose of this thread. I have a 2007 Suzuki GS500 with 8,000 miles on it that I need to sell. It has pretty much sat dormant in a warm climate for the past three years. Tank is rusted, probably needs to have the carbs cleaned and rebuilt, and a general flushing of the engine- plus whatever else might need to be fixed up.

Sadly, I don't have time to repair it myself before I move in a month. Any idea how much I should be able to sell it for in the current condition?

Depends on your location. Figure around $600-1200 depending on how bad it is, local market, other damage, etc.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gstu posted:

How much lying are you willing to do? Did you put stabil in it? Will it start as is?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gstu posted:

What part of the country are you in? Near any big cities? This changes price drastically. Does it run as is? even poorly?

EDIT: Looks like you are in AZ. Sad, because I'd have probably taken it off of your hands if you were closer. Looks like your bike market is a lot better than mine, and you might be able to get about 1k max for it in current condition. I'd recommend putting the effort into cleaning it up and fixing some of those things, but I see that you are a student and know how scarce free time is.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 1, 2015

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Two (stroke) variations on a theme

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-rgv-gsv-r-vj22-schwantz-pepsi/9632769

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/aprilia-rs250/9801328

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Going to go look this over later today I think. The wife wants a new bike and she was interested in this one so worth a look over at least.

http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/5050292877.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It looks really good, I'll give it that. I'd rather eat off it than own it, though. Any of these would be a better choice, in that price range:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/5094765015.html
http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/5030559675.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/5099229619.html
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5063220865.html

advion
Jul 25, 2005
She had a Ninja 500 for a while and wants something more UJM/Standard like. Any specific reasons to avoid it as I've not read anything that bad about CB750s. The mileage isn't terrible but obviously all of this rests on inspecting it in person and riding it. We were going to try to get him down to $1500ish for what it's worth.

advion fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 2, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Awwwww that's all you had to say. In that case, she wants this:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/5095734874.html ZRX Modern UJM with all the awesome and none of the "35 year old unicorn"

I may be incorrect on that specific bike, and I do agree that it looks well cared for and tuned up and all that, but all I've ever heard and seen is that the older bikes handle poorly and are very difficult to find parts for. They are really old tech, and honda liked to change up the parts they used every few years.

So it's not like a ninja or sv where parts are everywhere and they didn't really change much for huge swaths of time. I'd have no qualms about a 1995 ninja 250, but I'd worry about a 1980 bike of any type. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but there are better options.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Unfortunately that's more than what we want to pay at the moment.

Parts don't seem too bad from what I've seen there are quite a few resources for aftermarket or original parts it looks like. I'm going to browse the CB750 forum see what else I can find there. I already warned her it's an older bike and this is going to require work and we are definitely going to be getting our hands dirty.

I'll post a progress report after we check it out and give it a little ride.

advion fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's ok, the ZRX is kind of a comedy option, and also the only modern bike I can think of that looks like that sort of 80s ujm. It's a balls out, bonkers, bat out of hell, kind of bike. Quite frankly, I had no idea that they had dropped so far in price. I'd seriously consider saving up for one of those, except I know what I'd do with it, and where I'd end up.

That honda you want to look at is certainly a very cleaned up example. If you make the choice to get it, please come back and share pictures and stories of it in all it's glory(or heartbreak).

advion
Jul 25, 2005
If we get it I will certainly share the heartbreak as it's torn apart. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Coydog posted:

So it's not like a ninja or sv where parts are everywhere and they didn't really change much for huge swaths of time. I'd have no qualms about a 1995 ninja 250, but I'd worry about a 1980 bike of any type. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but there are better options.

This. I'd rather own a 70's CB than an 80's. They're easier to work on in every regard and there's no discernible performance difference between the two.
(according to my butt dyno)