Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Why does Bluefin only have one splat zone? It could have been an awesome map for ranked, and instead it a crap pile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Actually I've been meaning to ask, I'm still unclear about how Splat Zones works, namely how a game ends up without a knockout.

So there's overtime after five minutes. If the leading team captures the zone they win. If the trailing team gains the lead they win. Does overtime have a time limit? Like is it just a minute of overtime and then the leading team wins? That doesn't sound right though, because I thought I had games that ended with my loss while my team had control of the zone(s).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Why does Bluefin only have one splat zone? It could have been an awesome map for ranked, and instead it a crap pile

I think it works pretty well with one. It avoids the merry-go-round you get on Skatepark or Warehouse, while leaving this bizarre no-man's land of flanking and sniping.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Actually I've been meaning to ask, I'm still unclear about how Splat Zones works, namely how a game ends up without a knockout.

So there's overtime after five minutes. If the leading team captures the zone they win. If the trailing team gains the lead they win. Does overtime have a time limit? Like is it just a minute of overtime and then the leading team wins? That doesn't sound right though, because I thought I had games that ended with my loss while my team had control of the zone(s).

There's two timers: a match timer and each team's point timers. If one team's point timer- which only counts down when you have control- reaches zero, then it's a knockout. If the match timer runs out first then it'll determine who held it longer and that team wins, and if it's being contested when the match timer is zero then it'll go into overtime until the losing team wins or the winning team takes the point back.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Reiley posted:

There's two timers: a match timer and each team's point timers. If one team's point timer- which only counts down when you have control- reaches zero, then it's a knockout. If the match timer runs out first then it'll determine who held it longer and that team wins, and if it's being contested when the match timer is zero then it'll go into overtime until the losing team wins or the winning team takes the point back.

Only wrinkle to this is if the losing team is in control when time runs out, then control goes neutral, there's a hidden timer that lasts somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds. The match ends if they don't regain control before this timer runs out.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Reiley posted:

So if neither team has control of the zone, that's when overtime happens?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Nah it's great. Probably my favorite ranked map, rewards awareness of your surroundings and offers weird loving opportunities for ingenuity.

Luna blaster is great, died to some amazing ambushers using it in ranked.

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

pokeyman posted:

If at any point after the match timer goes to 0 the winning team was the last in control or the losing team hasn't had control for more than five seconds or so, the winning team immediately wins.

So usually, if neither team has control when the match timer hits 0, the match goes to the winning team. I have had a couple matches that went into overtime for about a second, though, because the losing team had recently held the point.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The thing with Bluefin is that once you enter one of the middle sides, you're pretty heavily committed to staying there, until you either clear it of enemies or die. If there were two splat zones and you needed to travel to the opposite one, it'd be a pain in the rear end unless there were two-way bridges connecting them (which would kind of dilute the map's concept).

I think the alternative they came up with is neat; one side has the zone, the other side provides an advantageous position for storming/sniping the zone.

pokeyman posted:

Nope; if neither team has control, the leading team wins.

Overtime happens only when the trailing team has control. The trailing team gets a very short grace period where the zone can stay neutral for a bit, but if it stays neutral for too long, victory will default to the leading team.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 24, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

pokeyman posted:

Overtime only happens if the team in possession of the point when the match timer is up is the team that is behind (or, I guess, as was just mentioned, if the losing team held the point within the "grace period" at that time). It ends when either:

• That team holds the point until they take the lead, giving them the win (apparently by knockout if that lead would bring the team timer to 0)
  • That team loses the point and is unable to recapture the point after the "grace period" of 10 seconds or so, effectively giving the other team the win.
  • The other team gains the point during those 10 seconds, in which case overtime ends IMMEDIATELY and gives that team the win.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 24, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

Nah it's great. Probably my favorite ranked map, rewards awareness of your surroundings and offers weird loving opportunities for ingenuity.

I'm really not feeling it - the asymmetry really bothers me and I feel the opposite about the ingenuity aspect - it has similar problems to Rig in that over half the map doesn't get utilized, and if you venture off the path too much, you're probably hurting your team more than helping
But I find Rig incredibly fun in ranked, Depot is just boring

edit: maybe it's just the matches I've been in - I haven't seen anyone do anything other than attempt to use the other side to ambush and fail miserably

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoX-CzW32fU

:getin:

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I'm really not feeling it - the asymmetry really bothers me and I feel the opposite about the ingenuity aspect - it has similar problems to Rig in that over half the map doesn't get utilized, and if you venture off the path too much, you're probably hurting your team more than helping
But I find Rig incredibly fun in ranked, Depot is just boring

edit: maybe it's just the matches I've been in - I haven't seen anyone do anything other than attempt to use the other side to ambush and fail miserably

you can have a hell of a firefight over in that flanking zone only for all parties to abruptly pull away when they remember the zone actually has to be capped/defended

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm a yid
I'm a kid
i'm a hebrew Squid

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Oh holy gently caress I lost it

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I swear nintendo is making bad ad's on purpose cuz they go viral.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's really good and cool actually

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Thought on luna blaster; good base type for turf war, garbage in ranked.

Well maybe not garbage but in ranked its clearly inferior to the custom blaster. The lack of range is a serious drawback that really can limit your killing ability in some key areas. The fact that the weapon doesn't have anything to deal with people far away when your inkzonka isn't up doesn't help either. The bubbler and point sensor of the custom blaster is so hard to beat that this doesn't surprise me though.

Turf war its great though. The ink consumption is super low and the slightly higher fire rate means you can spread ink way better than with the regular blaster or rapid blaster (but who cares). Not sure what the best loadout would be in terms of skills. I've been using two swim speed boosts because I end up diving into the ink so much to move forward due to the ridiculously short range.

So short version is its bad for ranked, great for turf war.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

judd shouldn't sing

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I've been stuck at B- for a while, and I think I'm going to start using other weapons. I'd been using the Dual Squelcher almost exclusively in Ranked, and it worked well for a while, but with Kelp Dome and Bluefin Depot out now, I find myself either too far away to do what I want or too close and getting ripped apart by Aerosprays and rollers. I think I might stop playing Splat Zone for a while and start trying something else in Turf War. Maybe start actually using chargers, since those seem to be especially useful for those two maps.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Your weapon choice in kelp done matters not

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like the inkbrush in Kelp Dome because there's plenty of flat terrain to lurk in, a pillar to jump down on people from, good spots to stick sprinklers, and lots of places to dash away to if things get hairy.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Internet Kraken posted:

Thought on luna blaster; good base type for turf war, garbage in ranked.

Well maybe not garbage but in ranked its clearly inferior to the custom blaster. The lack of range is a serious drawback that really can limit your killing ability in some key areas. The fact that the weapon doesn't have anything to deal with people far away when your inkzonka isn't up doesn't help either. The bubbler and point sensor of the custom blaster is so hard to beat that this doesn't surprise me though.

Turf war its great though. The ink consumption is super low and the slightly higher fire rate means you can spread ink way better than with the regular blaster or rapid blaster (but who cares). Not sure what the best loadout would be in terms of skills. I've been using two swim speed boosts because I end up diving into the ink so much to move forward due to the ridiculously short range.

So short version is its bad for ranked, great for turf war.

I'm a B ranked Krak-on roller and I went a handful of rounds against a Luna blaster that was giving me fits. It's range and radius is good enough to force me to a different zone or wait for help.

The bother new tactic I'm seeing is people standing on the boxes on the catwalks on Kelp Zone making them much harder to splat with a roller on ground level.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's not really some sneaky troll move, though, that's basically what the boxes are for. They're these little oases of quasi-safety specifically added for Splat Zones, so the catwalks aren't outright useless for approaching the zone. Ink a box, stand on it, squid up to refill ink, use it as a sniper nest maybe.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's not really some sneaky troll move, though, that's basically what the boxes are for. They're these little oases of quasi-safety specifically added for Splat Zones, so the catwalks aren't outright useless for approaching the zone. Ink a box, stand on it, squid up to refill ink, use it as a sniper nest maybe.

The problem with that is if someone comes to fight you, you're as vulnerable as you're ever gonna get, right? The only escape route is to drop down through the grate and hit the floor, and the fall takes so long you'll probably die before you make it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's why I said quasi-safety. It's obviously not an armored bunker, but it's a hiding spot, an ink refill, and a bit of extra distance from melee players below.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
It's definitely not trolling and quite clever. I was just enjoying seeing new tactics being used.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It having 1 splatzone is fine because the otherside of the map is used as a really good way to sneak around your opponents. It's not like the massive deadspace that Rig and Dome suffer from.

E: Though i like dome's set up more than Rig. Rig really really really needs 2 splatzones.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 24, 2015

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
So the Luna Blaster is basically a specialized regular Blaster. Exact same damage, but the Luna sacrifices a little range and explosion spread in exchange for a better fire rate. Ink Mine is situational, Inkzooka is a godsend for far-off targets. Lovely set if you're good at getting direct hits with grenades.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I think I get overtime now, thanks everyone.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

SL the Pyro posted:

So the Luna Blaster is basically a specialized regular Blaster. Exact same damage, but the Luna sacrifices a little range and explosion spread in exchange for a better fire rate. Ink Mine is situational, Inkzooka is a godsend for far-off targets. Lovely set if you're good at getting direct hits with grenades.

The explosion spread is actually bigger. I think of it as a hard counter to rollers, but a dynamo will outrange you pretty easily if they see you coming. Against a .52/.96/sniper without your special up? You're hosed unless you sneak up on them. It's a good weapon for close quarters (middle of mackerel, sides of warehouse, top section of saltspray), but in an open space you're a bit of a sitting duck. Recommend a special-builder buff, stealth squid, and either ink resist or squid speed.

I think the Luna Blaster will really shine during the tower mode when it gets released.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Cold Blooded is such a good perk when you get to B+ and up in Ranked because Echolocator is soooo good.

Also idk why I bought the Luna Blaster. I hate blasters, and I hated this blaster AND YET I needed to buy it and play with it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also idk why I bought the Luna Blaster. I hate blasters, and I hated this blaster AND YET I needed to buy it and play with it.

I hate blasters and find this one the most tolerable, but I'd still rather use almost any other shooter

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It has such a different feel than chargers, and I typically use chargers so I am just thrown off every single time.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Cold Blooded is such a good perk when you get to B+ and up in Ranked because Echolocator is soooo good.

You bought it because it is adorable and know that looking good is the most powerful weapon.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

You don't need to buy a weapon to test it. Though I guess the test range is different from a live game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Splatoon with motion controls will gently caress your poo poo up. You'll start tilting the controller in other 3rd person games.

How do you sign up for splatfest?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Not a Children posted:

The explosion spread is actually bigger. I think of it as a hard counter to rollers, but a dynamo will outrange you pretty easily if they see you coming. Against a .52/.96/sniper without your special up? You're hosed unless you sneak up on them. It's a good weapon for close quarters (middle of mackerel, sides of warehouse, top section of saltspray), but in an open space you're a bit of a sitting duck. Recommend a special-builder buff, stealth squid, and either ink resist or squid speed.

I think the Luna Blaster will really shine during the tower mode when it gets released.
Oh, is that what the Impact stat means? I thought stronger impact meant a tighter spread... and now that I think about it, I'm not sure why. :downs:

But yeah, I agree with the stealthy special-boost playstyle. The Luna Blaster set has a painful lack of long range options outside of its special, and the short range means you can't charge the special gauge very fast, so most of your time is going to be spent surprise-splatting people that are trying to push forward. Then when your Inkzooka is ready, you can cut loose on the ranged enemies are give your team a chance to push them back.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
All I'm gonna say is...Team Waffle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

How do you sign up for splatfest?

Splatfest was delayed until an undetermined date.

When It was still going to happen, in the week leading up, a voting booth appeared next to the Miiverse post-box where you could vote for what side you wanted to be on.

bef posted:

All I'm gonna say is...Team Waffle

Now, Waffles vs Pancakes. There's a good set of Splatfest categories.

• Locked thread