Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's how Darrell Hammond's Bill Clinton often gave thumbs-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Cool Bear posted:

I saw Donald Trump give the "small thumbs up" on the wolf blitzer channel at the bar. Holds his hand out, looks like he is giving a full thumbs up because he is waving to the crowd, not giving a speech, and his thumb is pressed forward and only the top knuckle of his thumb, like half an inch of thumb is actually going up.

Why would he do that? He sat down and thought about how he had seen that on TV. Basically when politicians like Bill Clinton instinctually wanted to point their angry index finger somewhere, Bill Clinton and many others would just do the thumb thing. So Donald viewed video footage of their greatest hits and reproduced them, mistaking the passionate thumb for some kind of new version of the classic "thumbs up" that he didn't bother to fully understand.

Am I wrong? Is there video footage of other complete idiots or respectable people acting like that is the proper way to wave. Like to give a full thumbs up is a message, to give the little thumb up, that is not what you do when you are waving to a cheering crowd. It's what people do when they are passionately giving a speech.

Donald just waves his hand around with the little thumb up just having no idea why he is doing it, having no idea why the little thumb up exists. He just saw it on video of other presidents. He is the hero America deserves.

Cheer up, The Donald is doing manual labor for the first time in his life.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
I'm Canadian and I want to get some Bernie swag, but his website only sells to Americans. If anyone is willing to order a shirt and coffee mug and forward it to me, send me a PM.

Chamale posted:

Come to mention it, Trudeau feels a lot like Bush. They have famous names and look like the natural next person in line to run their countries, but they're making unforced gaffes and proving to be not quite as good at politics as they'd hoped.

The difference is that Trudeau is probably surrounding himself with more competent people than Bush is.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Aliquid posted:

That's how Darrell Hammond's Bill Clinton often gave thumbs-ups.

I've seen Kerry do it so many times in his campaign, during speeches and the debates. Does it actually mean anything? Never understood it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I've seen Kerry do it so many times in his campaign, during speeches and the debates. Does it actually mean anything? Never understood it.

It's a way of gesturing for emphasis that doesn't look angry or threatening the way pointing or a clenched fist would. Clinton got it from JFK.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Just a heads up, this is a violation of federal campaign finance laws - that's why they won't sell to foreigners, and doing it through an intermediary could theoretically (though probably not) get that person in some trouble.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Especially if the PM'er never posts about the PM itt, you will 100% get away with it. The FEC is a joke; someone send the man some swag.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
“The likelihood of the laws being enforced is slim,” Ann M. Ravel, the chairwoman of the FEC.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Whiskey Sours posted:

I'm Canadian and I want to get some Bernie swag, but his website only sells to Americans. If anyone is willing to order a shirt and coffee mug and forward it to me, send me a PM.

I remember back in 08 someone offered obama tshirts to non-americans as he was just gonna donate anyway. One of their terms was 'you cannot pay me' because of campaign law.

Its a good t-shirt. I still wear it a bunch.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

So yesterday during lunch I overhear a coworker talking to another about Taco Bonerstink's flat tax plan that will bring business back to the United States. Because if businesses were only paying 14.5% they could afford to bring their business back to the US, and there would be more jobs. It really hurts to watch a grown man talk about Taco Bonerstink and how a flat tax will lower the deficit and balance the budget because less taxes are freedom.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102769595

cutting $2 trillion in tax revenues, of course that's the answer to balancing the budget.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Whiskey Sours posted:

Bernie is subverting our democracy and taking cash from foreign Maple Syrup interests :tinfoil:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
America: where our Presidential candidates are endorsed by pawnbrokers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txUo5wFveas

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

America: where our Presidential candidates are endorsed by pawnbrokers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txUo5wFveas

Lol Marco's half-assed but still very Rubioesque speechifying in that bald pos' pos store.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey so you used the .gifs which is great, but it occurs to me that this wonderful CNN made... thing is not in the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AlQiWatD4
Impeach Joementum.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh yeah, Bobby Jindal is going to declare his candidacy sometime today.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Dancer posted:

Hey so you used the .gifs which is great, but it occurs to me that this wonderful CNN made... thing is not in the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AlQiWatD4
Impeach Joementum.

This was a result of getting rid of the olds shortly after Murdoch's bid, and the remaining olds trying desperately to be fresh and hip young dudes

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Edit: wrong thread

visceril fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 24, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So yesterday during lunch I overhear a coworker talking to another about Taco Bonerstink's flat tax plan that will bring business back to the United States. Because if businesses were only paying 14.5% they could afford to bring their business back to the US, and there would be more jobs. It really hurts to watch a grown man talk about Taco Bonerstink and how a flat tax will lower the deficit and balance the budget because less taxes are freedom.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102769595

cutting $2 trillion in tax revenues, of course that's the answer to balancing the budget.

It seems funny now, but trust me, that browser extension you're using is going to bite you in the rear end one day.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Edit: wrong thread

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I can't say much for other states but in PA we just got done having noted Republican assbag Corbett for governor and let me just say that a great many people aren't happy about the way Republicans tend to run things. Yeah you have a massive number of people that are going to vote R even if the candidate is murdering puppies on national television on a daily basis but still...that's not ultimately the crowd that wins elections. The people in the middle that can be swung are what wins elections this state has seen first hand the poo poo Republicans pull when you put them in charge.

I think that was an outlier. Corbett's loss should be in no way an indication that republicans are in trouble in PA. Corbett was so unpopular he lost by double digits despite having a strong republican majority in the house and senate during his entire term. He had no one to blame but himself.

Republicans still have a 3:2 advantage in the senate and house, and actually picked up seats in the same election that Corbett was kicked out. Pat Toomey is polling very well against his 2 potential 2016 challengers and Kathleen Kane has been circling the drain for months, which leaves another vulnerable statewide seat.

I agree that the middle is what wins elections in PA, and those in the middle consistently willing to vote for less terrible republicans, even though the state has almost 1,000,000 more registered democrats. As for 2016 POTUS, I think PA is still a lock for Clinton as long as she doesn't do something stupid like vomit up a cheesesteak out of disgust or remind us how much Philly sports teams are sucking.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Dancer posted:

Impeach Joementum.

Holy poo poo that's amazing. That has to be the most self-aware thing they've ever made

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

Impeach Joementum.

Almost as funny as the original

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Oh yeah, Bobby Jindal is going to declare his candidacy sometime today.

We're going to need a bigger clown car.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cool Bear posted:

I saw Donald Trump give the "small thumbs up" on the wolf blitzer channel at the bar. Holds his hand out, looks like he is giving a full thumbs up because he is waving to the crowd, not giving a speech, and his thumb is pressed forward and only the top knuckle of his thumb, like half an inch of thumb is actually going up.

Why would he do that? He sat down and thought about how he had seen that on TV. Basically when politicians like Bill Clinton instinctually wanted to point their angry index finger somewhere, Bill Clinton and many others would just do the thumb thing. So Donald viewed video footage of their greatest hits and reproduced them, mistaking the passionate thumb for some kind of new version of the classic "thumbs up" that he didn't bother to fully understand.

Am I wrong? Is there video footage of other complete idiots or respectable people acting like that is the proper way to wave. Like to give a full thumbs up is a message, to give the little thumb up, that is not what you do when you are waving to a cheering crowd. It's what people do when they are passionately giving a speech.

Donald just waves his hand around with the little thumb up just having no idea why he is doing it, having no idea why the little thumb up exists. He just saw it on video of other presidents. He is the hero America deserves.

It's called the "I have a penny in my fist, and am by no means relinquishing it."

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Indie Rocktopus posted:

That's not to say the Republican Party is actually going to die off any time soon. Between gerrymandering, the supreme court, voter suppression etc. they've successfully entrenched themselves in political institutions where they're not accountable to voters, and we're probably in for another decade or two of obstructionism in congress and regressive state-level policies. But this is only a medium-term solution, because while they can block liberal policies they can't really advance their own agenda either, and demographics (not to mention campaign donations) will eventually hit a tipping point where even rigging the system won't be enough for them.

Sure, we "rigged" the 2014 elections to gain a bunch of Senate seats.

Please continue this line of thinking while we eat more of your lunch.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Gerrymandering only affects House races. The Senate seats up in 2014 were almost all conservative seats regardless of the party of the occupying individual. It's not so much that you "rigged" anything as that the normal course of politics happened.

But please do enjoy while you can. Nothing is forever.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Hey, remember that Permanent Republican Majority you guys were talking about in 2004? How'd that go for ya?

And voter ID laws do suppress the votes of minorities; sorry that you can't handle that.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Feather posted:

Gerrymandering only affects House races. The Senate seats up in 2014 were almost all conservative seats regardless of the party of the occupying individual. It's not so much that you "rigged" anything as that the normal course of politics happened.

But please do enjoy while you can. Nothing is forever.

The notion that republicans are eventually going to be drowned out by sitting and playing the waiting game is why democrats lose elections. Republicans flipped several senate seats, including Colorado which I'd hardly call a republican stronghold. On top of that, republicans won the governorship of Maryland and Massachusetts, the farthest thing from conservative seats you can imagine.

The only major spot that flipped from D to R was PA Governor, for reasons I have stated in a post above.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

And voter ID laws do suppress the votes of minorities; sorry that you can't handle that.

Sorry, but the idea that voter ID laws are the primary cause of low democratic turnout in 2014 is "Ludacris".

Voter ID laws didn't give Obama GWB-like approval numbers. They didn't force any dem in a marginally competitive race to start photshopping Obama out of their wedding photos. They haven't caused the median adjusted income to drop every year. They didn't make the Obamacare rollout a farce. But, okay - please pin everything on voter ID. "We didn't REALLY lose, it's SCOTUS' fault" worked really well for you in 2000.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dancer posted:

Impeach Joementum.

This is one of those things where you get the joke and it's probably enough after about 30 seconds, but you're glad the whole thing is there.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

The notion that republicans are eventually going to be drowned out by sitting and playing the waiting game is why democrats lose elections. Republicans flipped several senate seats, including Colorado which I'd hardly call a republican stronghold. On top of that, republicans won the governorship of Maryland and Massachusetts, the farthest thing from conservative seats you can imagine.

The only major spot that flipped from D to R was PA Governor, for reasons I have stated in a post above.

I don't know what happened in Maryland, but in MA we ran our idiot Attorney General who has now managed to piss away two state elections because she a) has no idea how to run a campaign and b) cannot stop herself from insulting the people who should vote for her.

Plus, the Republican we elected is pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, and pro-gun control, so he can basically kiss any national ambitions goodbye.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Republican governors in MA are known as centrist democrats in pretty much every other state. Baker is really not a big-R republican. Democratic party politics in MA are such that independents frequently run as R and do very well.

e:fb by Alter Ego

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

neonnoodle posted:

Republican governors in MA are known as centrist democrats in pretty much every other state. Baker is really not a big-R republican. Democratic party politics in MA are such that independents frequently run as R and do very well.

e:fb by Alter Ego

Since I think Baker's only competition for the Republican nod was Jack E. Robinson (yes, that's literally his name), the Tea Party has no clout here. It's kinda nice.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

the Tea Party has no clout here. It's kinda nice.

Must be great, sigh

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Who said anything about playing a waiting game? I think the Democratic Party leadership actually doesn't give a poo poo, right now, about the Republican winning streak. They benefit too much from it. Things tend to change though, and precisely because somebody decides to act and make it change. That's all I meant.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Alter Ego posted:

Since I think Baker's only competition for the Republican nod was Jack E. Robinson (yes, that's literally his name), the Tea Party has no clout here. It's kinda nice.

The Tea Party has no clout in Boston.

What's Alanis doing these days?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Alter Ego posted:

I don't know what happened in Maryland, but in MA we ran our idiot Attorney General who has now managed to piss away two state elections because she a) has no idea how to run a campaign and b) cannot stop herself from insulting the people who should vote for her.

Plus, the Republican we elected is pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, and pro-gun control, so he can basically kiss any national ambitions goodbye.

And in Colorado Udall ran one of the worst campaigns I've ever seen in my life: his campaign was a tone-deaf single-issue campaign around abortion rights, which was widely (probably correctly) seen as a cynical attempt to get women's vote in a way that alienated supporters and swing voters.

But that's kind of the point, right? Demographics and the moral arc of the universe are trending Democratic, but complacency and stupidity will still lose elections.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

OAquinas posted:

The Tea Party has no clout in Boston.

What's Alanis doing these days?

They don't have much in Western MA or the Cape, either. Central MA seems to be the only place where there's a large concentration of rear end in a top hat Republicans, and even then they're not Tea Party types so much as establishment, FYGM rich-people types.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

SedanChair posted:

It's called the "I have a penny in my fist, and am by no means relinquishing it."

Short fingered vulgarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What are the chances that Bernie gets what he wants and the Democrats start debates this summer?

• Locked thread