Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I should mention that if you're taking longer than that, that's not necessarily a problem per ser. Feel free to ask questions if you're having issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, for Berserkers vs Sandworm: should I be using Death's Scythe or not? It's definitely the highest damage weapon I have, but if the death spell procs on an empty hole the sandworm does gravity twice. BUT, it seems like gravity doesn't always work for him. So I don't know.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
If you become way too familiar with the game your runs generally take between 4-6 hours depending on how bad your team is.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lilli posted:

Another batch for the thread.

is that four?!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My runs took about 15-20 hours last year, but I did way too much of the optional stuff. I'll probably skip more this year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

son of a bitch

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I have a chemist, how many turtle shells should I farm before w2?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
One thing I like about having Dancer and Samurai is a nice bit of synergy; Dancer goes first and if they confuse something with Tempting Tango, Samurai's Mineuchi doesn't remove confusion.

Granted, that only lasts until Dancer gets Ribbon and Samurai gets Equip Zeninage and Shirahadori and I switch their classes around, but still, nice to have this strategy for a bit.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poulpe posted:

I have a chemist, how many turtle shells should I farm before w2?

all of them.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Brannock posted:

I should mention that if you're taking longer than that, that's not necessarily a problem per ser. Feel free to ask questions if you're having issues.

Yeah. Just go at a pace that's fun for you. I just chip an hour or so a day with the kid, fielding questions about why/how Min got lost in the Library and who is whose grandpa.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, for Berserkers vs Sandworm: should I be using Death's Scythe or not? It's definitely the highest damage weapon I have, but if the death spell procs on an empty hole the sandworm does gravity twice. BUT, it seems like gravity doesn't always work for him. So I don't know.

Ohhh so that's why it sometimes goes crazy with demi.

I've got a berserker, a white mage, and 2 geomancers, and keep having a hard time keeping my healing up thanks to that quicksand draining attack. I'm not sure what the best strategy is.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I feel kind of spoiled with Ninja, Knight, Mystic Knight so far.

Like, Byblos and Sandworm were easy. I think Sandworm went down in two rounds (and two shuriken), and Byblos was as easy as Fire Scroll and 2H Fira Sword.

I have a feeling this is gonna bite me in the rear end when I get Dragoon and my only method of healing is "poo poo, one of you throw a potion at them".

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Uh, knight, zerker, beast master?

I don't know what the earth jobs are...ranger/bard/samurai/dragoon? Im not gonna have any magic at all.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Classtoise posted:

I feel kind of spoiled with Ninja, Knight, Mystic Knight so far.

Like, Byblos and Sandworm were easy. I think Sandworm went down in two rounds (and two shuriken), and Byblos was as easy as Fire Scroll and 2H Fira Sword.

I have a feeling this is gonna bite me in the rear end when I get Dragoon and my only method of healing is "poo poo, one of you throw a potion at them".

Fire rings and fire swords will heal.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

neongrey posted:

Fire rings and fire swords will heal.

Looks like Dragoon won't be a problem then :c00lbert:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FairGame posted:

I don't know what the earth jobs are...ranger/bard/samurai/dragoon? Im not gonna have any magic at all.

WHO NEEDS MAGIC, PEASANT? YOU HIT THINGS WITH HEAVY WEAPONS . . . AND YOU LIKE IT.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

FairGame posted:

Earth is Samurai, Chemist, Dancer, Dragoon.

So yeah you might not get any healing. Well, the aforementioned Elemental Ring + Elemental Bow might work? Can you Rapid Fire someone in the face to heal them?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Either way it's all going to come down to hitting him enough times before he wears you down, and Death Sickles will require less hits in the end. If you really think the Gravity spam is hurting you, you could take a trip to Jachol and get Ogre Killers, which won't proc anything, though they're a good 10 points weaker.

If you really want to get every advantage you can, go back to Karnak and buy 4 Plumed Hats, which give +5% magic evade.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Poque posted:

is that four?!

Yeah, Ill probably rereg again tomorrow morning whenever RK has processed the victories.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
How many Rods is it good to get out of Karnak before going off to the next crystal? I don't have a speedup function and I'm bored.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Bufuman posted:

Either way it's all going to come down to hitting him enough times before he wears you down, and Death Sickles will require less hits in the end. If you really think the Gravity spam is hurting you, you could take a trip to Jachol and get Ogre Killers, which won't proc anything, though they're a good 10 points weaker.

If you really want to get every advantage you can, go back to Karnak and buy 4 Plumed Hats, which give +5% magic evade.

That's some good advice. I had no idea about the Ogre Killers.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Definitely do the death sickles. Yes you proc gravity twice, but you require many less hits overall to kill sandworm, so just roll the dice.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

I'll never be free of the berserkers! At least this time Blue mage will solve a lot of my problems.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
My first fiesta, and the first time I've cleared this game since way back when it was first ported to the Playstation! :toot:

Wasn't planning to go for Omega and Shinryu, but I ended up having a good team for it.

(Shinryu disappeared too fast for me to get a proper screenshot)

Thanks to the chatroom for lots of advice!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got one Reflect Ring. Should I grind for 4?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I grinded 4 of them, and ended up not using any! I mainly wanted them for Omniscient but forgot to equip them, so I had to cast Berserk instead and beat him to death with my White Mage.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My team is two zerkers, a black mage and a red mage, so no berserking Omniscient.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Classtoise posted:

Earth is Samurai, Chemist, Dancer, Dragoon.

So yeah you might not get any healing. Well, the aforementioned Elemental Ring + Elemental Bow might work? Can you Rapid Fire someone in the face to heal them?
Rapid Fire randomly hits enemies. There's not even a target option when you select it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Got one Reflect Ring. Should I grind for 4?

Mountaineer posted:

I grinded 4 of them, and ended up not using any! I mainly wanted them for Omniscient but forgot to equip them, so I had to cast Berserk instead and beat him to death with my White Mage.
They're good for world 2 exdeath if you don't have spells that you want to target your party with and think you might have trouble burning him down in his double-action phase. He has a lot of spells to choose from for those actions, so it's not only preventing damage but also killing him faster.

Omnicscient is also a consideration if you don't want to go to the Phoenix tower and DO want (one or more of):
- More legendary weapons (why would you ever need that many)
- Holy
- Flare
- Meteor

e: I probably wouldn't get more than 2, then. Exdeath shouldn't be hard with that team and you have mages to kill omniscient. The reflect rings just make it much easier.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 24, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

gently caress it, one will be enough.

(I am so going to regret this)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Just give it to someone using !black and you'll be fine in both fights.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Why is Tame literally never landing on Omega?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Alright so my Berserkers can do 7000 damage to Omega!

2% of the time, that is. And I'd need eight such hits to work before Surge Beam and friends ruin my day. I think I'll stick with the Shinryu kill on this one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Team Thief is about three hours into the game (playing the SNES version in real time), level 11 / job level 5, about to go up against Garula (tried it last night just to see how the fight is and got wrecked).. Got the elven cloak and a full set of mithril daggers, I'll probably need to pop out of the tower and into town to stock up on potions and phoenix downs.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

The Mattybee posted:

Why is Tame literally never landing on Omega?
Are you on mobile? It was fixed there to work as it properly should.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Are you on mobile? It was fixed there to work as it properly should.

I'm on SNES.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Well, just glancing at this thread got me through the sandworm. I went with berserker, 2 geomancers, and white mage. I managed to let the berserker die and then it was easy enough just spamming cure2 (I forgot to equip the healing staff) and have the geos attack for ~100 damage each a round. If you're not constantly barraged with demis you can keep up with the damage much easier.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Hmm. I wonder if it's a GBA only bug...? I didn't think there was much of anything like that for SNES to GBA, but maybe I'm wrong.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Time for Exdeath's Castle. I forget, is there anything from world 2 I need to grab before I clear the place? Aside from clearing out Gil Cave a few times (400k built up, half of which is going for Hermes Sandals, obviously). And don't need Stoat since I've got no Summoners.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
Another one for the Fartz triple crown.

Dualzerker/Beastmaster/Chemist

Nothing was difficult (though I had garbage luck against Liquid Flame for a while with only berserkers), but everything was pretty tedious since I needed a lot of set up time to do big damage.

Also I just now realized that I caught a Great Dragon for using against something and never used it. I was pretty bad about that, though at least BM did provide the berserkers with equip whip (and the ability to use Dragon's Whiskers was super useful).

Surprisingly everyone could survive a hit once Goliath Tonic+Dragon Defense was up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

just got past world 1 and my team ended up as Black Mage/Beserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon. It's not the worst team comp, but it feels like there's not a whole lot to exploit apart from catch/release, any advice or tricks i can look out for given the team comp?

• Locked thread