Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Fallout 4 is basically an old-fashioned rehash of a game made 8 bloody years ago, plot, dialogue, graphics and all?

Bugger it all, this is why I would rather play Witcher 3 and sponsor more Polish video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah Fallout 4 is going to be exactly the same as Fallout 3

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Merry Magpie posted:

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-4s-voiced-protagonists-make-story-better/

Translation: Expect more Essential NPCs, brain-dead dialog, and awful attempts at pathos.

There's legitimate hope that the combat and crafting will be better this time around, due to bringing on new developers specifically for it, but if you think the writing is going to improve whatsoever, keep in mind they don't even know they aren't good writers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't believe that the voice actor in my game has a generic North American accent, Turd Howard has done it again.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Todd Howard's last big caper is going to be fooling everybody into thinking he was making a new game when really he just funded a cg trailer and made new slipcovers for a secret new printing of fallout 3.

It's going to become the fastest selling and most successful RPG the world has ever seen.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Todd Howard's last big caper is going to be fooling everybody into thinking he was making a new game when really he just funded a cg trailer and made new slipcovers for a secret new printing of fallout 3.

It's going to become the fastest selling and most successful RPG the world has ever seen.
Where have you been outside of ADTRW?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Where have you been outside of ADTRW?

I post when and where I want, which is everywhere.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am going to love my straight love child for FIVE MINUTES AT THE START OF A GAME before he/she and my husband die and I completely forget about them after being launched two hundred years into the future and start my pretty minecraft fallout game.

I could try to care about a game forcing me into a relationship with a man, but I can't because it's a game and I'm not a baby. If you have a problem with a game that legit upsets you, don't buy the game.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

Never stop posting. Your avatar is so :3:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Just curious.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

I am going to love my straight love child for FIVE MINUTES AT THE START OF A GAME before he/she and my husband die and I completely forget about them after being launched two hundred years into the future and start my pretty minecraft fallout game.

I could try to care about a game forcing me into a relationship with a man, but I can't because it's a game and I'm not a baby. If you have a problem with a game that legit upsets you, don't buy the game.

It's not upsetting, just annoying and tiresome, like everything else you guys are complaining about.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Let me tell you a story: When I was a child, I grabbed all of the spices and seasonings out of the kitchen, went into the backyard, dug a hole in the sand, filled it with dirty water, and began adding random amounts of condiments into this brew while chanting, "Monster brew! Monster brew! Monster brew!" over and over again. I didn't really know where the brew was headed, but that was okay because, looking back, I didn't even really know what the "Monster Brew" was. I was just a child pouring marjoram and white pepper into a hole in the ground; each addition pushed the brew towards some unseen, unknowable goal.

Lead designer, Emil Pagliarulo: "...having a voiced protagonist has actually [made the story] way more tense than I ever expected."

PC Gamer : "Fallout 4 is so big, its lead producer [Jeff Gardiner] hasn't seen everything it has to offer."

Todd Howard: "I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. It's pure chaos."

Should we be worried that Bethesda doesn't seem to know what it's doing with Fallout 4? Or what Fallout 4 even is? Will Fallout 4 be another "Monster Brew"?

I wonder if Fallout 4 is just a procedurally generated game. Like, there wasn't anyone who developed the game, but someone made a script to generate chunks of Fallout 4 and some other people are just fitting it together.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Everything we've seen about Fallout 4 is all they know about or care to program. There is no real ending or story, just a set number of tiny set pieces that you interconnect by building settlements around until the game abruptly stops and Todd Howard's head appears amongst a blank screen playing the same thank you message over and over until you turn the system off.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 24, 2015

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

What kind of Boston themed Vaults will there be?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Phrasing posted:

One filled with baseball players

also looking forward to shooting muties in the face with my bro Preston the laser man

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Phrasing posted:

Vault 30, inhabited by the descendants of Bruins goaltender/crazed survivalist Tim Thomas.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Phrasing posted:

Vault 142, where the water supply is replaced with watered-down beer.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I also love how people are getting bent out of shape at the fact that you have a back story, as if that somehow upsets the balance of the universe.

You are a middle aged man/woman, have a house in the suburbs, young kid, new car, white picket fence... sound familiar?

Yeah, the time before the war was supposed to be some idealized vision of 1950's America. You live the American Dream for all of 30 minutes before everyone you know is killed off and the world destroyed. When you wake up, your slate is pretty much wiped clean and you can do as you please. God forbid you were a "normal" person once upon a time. I'm sure there's all sorts of stupid poo poo you can do in the prologue to help you roleplay, too.

I can only speak for myself, but I really don't like the 1950s motif and I try to tune it out as much as possible, so having to play as someone who embodies it is a negative for me. I also have my doubts that the slate will really be wiped clean because I don't think they'd go to the trouble of setting all that up only to completely discard it, especially considering everything they've said about how they want to emphasize storytelling more than before.

I agree with this as well:

2house2fly posted:

It's the difference between playing as a character and controlling a character. Both can be good, obviously- Mario or Doom aren't any less fun because I don't play the role of the main character- but people tend to expect certain things from certain series, and Fallout has not previously been a game where you select a dialogue option and then watch your character say a rough approximation of what you picked, etc. If Fallout 4 was unveiled as a 2D shoot 'em up a bunch of people would inexplicably not be into it, even though that style of gameplay has been done very well in games such as Gradius and Ikaruga.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
One day before Fallout 4 releases, Todd "Zaxby's has the best chicken in town" Howard will announce it will use Gameworks and the features can't be turned off.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Praetorian Mage posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I really don't like the 1950s motif and I try to tune it out as much as possible, so having to play as someone who embodies it is a negative for me. I also have my doubts that the slate will really be wiped clean because I don't think they'd go to the trouble of setting all that up only to completely discard it, especially considering everything they've said about how they want to emphasize storytelling more than before.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Why did Fallout 4 have to be an RPG with an idealized 1950's motif in a post-apocalypse setting and a generic cishet shitler of a protagonist? Why couldn't it be a dating sim set in steampunk Victorian London where the protagonist is a transblack zeppelin pilot?

Todd "14/88" Howard has some explaining to do.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Anybody complaining about the realism of the culture in the game but not complaining about the realism of everything else should be covered in jet fuel and burned alive in a prison made out of steel beams. - Todd "Waffen SS" Howard

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Why did Fallout 4 have to be an RPG with an idealized 1950's motif in a post-apocalypse setting and a generic cishet shitler of a protagonist? Why couldn't it be a dating sim set in steampunk Victorian London where the protagonist is a transblack zeppelin pilot?

I still want a Fallout game where the MC is a fat Tumblr fangirl artist. She will start to wheeze after walking a few feet,and even a Mole Rat can beat you in combat because of how poor you are physically. Your ultimate goal is to poorly mimic Furiosa and her motivations from the latest Mad Max film, which in reality devolves into you making a lovely cosplay of Furiosa and sitting on your rear end in a shack, writing BoS slash fanfiction about a Paladin loving a former sex slave while surrounded by a very large pile of Nuka Cola and Fancy Lad's Snacks that you have scavenged.

You can also annoy the PC of another Fallout game by tweeting them via Pipboy. if you annoy them too much, they'll enter your shack, gib you in one shot while tripping balls on every drug in the game, then steal everything you have and teabag your corpse.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

There's legitimate hope that the combat and crafting will be better this time around, due to bringing on new developers specifically for it, but if you think the writing is going to improve whatsoever, keep in mind they don't even know they aren't good writers.

If this where Obsidian saying they plan to focus more on the story, I would know what that means and be excited: more and cooler factions, better developed perspectives from each side, etc. But this is Bethesda, not Obsidian. My gut tells me they aern't even going to go for an interesting "fallout-world" story. They basically ignored almost everything about Fallout 1&2 and made a dumb regional plot about water. Did the Enclave get lazy and only wants to poison the DC area now? In Fallout 2 their plan was to put the Virus into the air and effect everyone on Earth, why downgrade?

The story from New Vegas was epic, it tied into the first 2 Fallouts and made a real evolution. It made the wastelands feel like it had a real history with actual geo-politics. The "villains" where extremely interesting, to the point where you might see the value of their ideology (the same with all factions). There is no simple good/evil dynamic in New Vegas, these are real people with real agendas and that can not be put into a simple diametric box. This is a stark contrast to Bethesdas writing, the Enclave is entirely unsympathetic in Fallout 3, they are cartoon super villains, rather than a bunch of actual people. Call me crazy but I am guessing we hear almost nothing about Caesars Legion or the NCR or the greater geo-politics of the wasteland at all in Fallout 4, Bethesda doesn't seem interested in that stuff.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Bethesda's serious writing is the failed dialogue checks from new vegas.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Praetorian Mage posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I really don't like the 1950s motif and I try to tune it out as much as possible

I am not sure that fallout is the game for you hth

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Praetorian Mage posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I really don't like the 1950s motif and I try to tune it out as much as possible,

Then why on God's green Earth are you playing a Fallout game?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've missed about 100 pages of this thread. Is there anything worth going back and reading or is it just all complaints about the graphics/FO3 sucking?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
About as much as there usually is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I agree wholeheartedly.

You sarcastically ask why it couldn't be that as if it's obvious why it couldn't, but literally, why couldn't it?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Then why on God's green Earth are you playing a Fallout game?

I find it's easy enough to ignore if I don't listen to the radio and mod away the godawful energy weapon models.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

2house2fly posted:

You sarcastically ask why it couldn't be that as if it's obvious why it couldn't, but literally, why couldn't it?

it's not in the spirit of the previous games

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Bethesda games are all the same game so yeah Fallout could be any of those other things in the same sense that Fallout 4 could be considered the sequel to Skyrim.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

If this where Obsidian saying they plan to focus more on the story, I would know what that means and be excited: more and cooler factions, better developed perspectives from each side, etc. But this is Bethesda, not Obsidian. My gut tells me they aern't even going to go for an interesting "fallout-world" story. They basically ignored almost everything about Fallout 1&2 and made a dumb regional plot about water. Did the Enclave get lazy and only wants to poison the DC area now? In Fallout 2 their plan was to put the Virus into the air and effect everyone on Earth, why downgrade?

The story from New Vegas was epic, it tied into the first 2 Fallouts and made a real evolution. It made the wastelands feel like it had a real history with actual geo-politics. The "villains" where extremely interesting, to the point where you might see the value of their ideology (the same with all factions). There is no simple good/evil dynamic in New Vegas, these are real people with real agendas and that can not be put into a simple diametric box. This is a stark contrast to Bethesdas writing, the Enclave is entirely unsympathetic in Fallout 3, they are cartoon super villains, rather than a bunch of actual people. Call me crazy but I am guessing we hear almost nothing about Caesars Legion or the NCR or the greater geo-politics of the wasteland at all in Fallout 4, Bethesda doesn't seem interested in that stuff.

Caesar's Legion is absolutely diametric evil, unabashedly, lol.

The Enclave in 3 is way more sympathetic. It's a bit of a shame you can't side with them actually, their plan seems way more concrete and far reaching than the brotherhoods.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

The Enclave in 3 is way more sympathetic. It's a bit of a shame you can't side with them actually, their plan seems way more concrete and far reaching than the brotherhoods.

I hope to poo poo you're talking about Colonel Autumn and not President Eden's plan. The former is pragmatic villainy, the latter is just complete stupidity.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Minorkos posted:

it's not in the spirit of the previous games

Why should the previous games dictate the shape of the new one?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Does the Fallout series ever mention the fate of Congress or the Supreme Court?

Is there any hope that I might one day run across a Vault containing RoboJustices debating Wasteland law?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I hope to poo poo you're talking about Colonel Autumn and not President Eden's plan. The former is pragmatic villainy, the latter is just complete stupidity.

EDEN's plan is evil but is entirely about forcing Autumn to return to a more drastic policy of only non mutated humanity being acceptable in the reconstruction, whereas Autumn is willing to compromise and integrate the wasteland settlers. By tainting the well for him you would be discrediting autumn and making the cornerstone of his plan for regional control untenable for anybody mutated, which is what Eden wants and why the power struggle exists in the first place.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

I don't know about that, it's not like Caesar had a lot to work with. Do you think the citizens of the Legion are worse or better off under Ceasar than as separate tribal bands? If Caesar hadn't created the legion, what do you expect to happen to those tribals once the NCRs settlements reach them? I expect they would be rounded up into reserves and concentration camps, NCR was way into aping old America and that's exactly what America would have done.

Yeah Ceasar is brutal, but only because he is dealing with a brutal world. How do you deal with raiders that enslave your citizens and maybe eat them? This is the wasteland, no one is going to respect a fair trial, and you don't have the resources to imprison them and try to rehabilitate them anyway. What is the solution? How do you maintain order? You crucify them, and makes sure they suffer so that the next band of raiders thinks twice about attacking your people.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, but there is no reason to make them so rapey other then to emphasize how evil they are. I mean, you could say "Well, realistically..." but realistically so would the NCR's hordes of boozed-up, poorly-supervised GIs. Caesar would be much more interesting if his education with the Followers had led him to see how objectively dumb the misogyny of Old Rome was, or at least to realize that integrating your army effectively doubles the number of troops at your disposal.

Other then that, the main problem with the Legion is there isn't much actual reason for the player to root for them and want them to succeed (much like the Powder Gangers, not coincidentally the other overtly evil faction), ironically unlike the Enclave in Fallout 3, where some players might want a Final Solution to the Super Mutant Question after having to clear hundreds of the fuckers out of D. C., only for them to all respawn like a week later.

Don't get me wrong, I loving love New Vegas, it might be my favorite game ever, but the Legion is not one of it's strong points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Caesar would be much more interesting if his education with the Followers had led him to see how objectively dumb the misogyny of Old Rome was, or at least to realize that integrating your army effectively doubles the number of troops at your disposal.

Modern gender dynamics apply to post industrial societies, Rome was misogynistic for very practical reasons. If your army has women in it than lots of women are going to die in battle, potentially. One man can impregnate multiple women, but the opposite is not true. This means that losing women in battle makes your population decline within a generation, and over time more misogynistic cultures will overtake you because they only lose men in battle.

• Locked thread