Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

That sounds like a super fun assignment, I wish we had stuff like that at my university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Later the professor wanted us to make a timeline of the civs, linking them together. One of the groups had a merman/fishman civ so I made so that they were mistaken by the sea god race mentioned on the myths of my group and that a splinter group of women that were to be sacrificed to the sea and sky gods (the guys I mafe believed most gods were lovecraftian giant monsters that made mankind as cattle since they fed on "intelligence energy" and sacrifices were made to prevent them from going kaiju on the islands) fled Fury Road style to become an Amazon civilization.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd honestly like to try DCC but I think the biggest problem I have is that it seems like you pretty much need at least one physical book at the table, and generally speaking I'm the only person in any of my groups who actually buys books.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd honestly like to try DCC but I think the biggest problem I have is that it seems like you pretty much need at least one physical book at the table, and generally speaking I'm the only person in any of my groups who actually buys books.

Not the case: http://purplesorcerer.com/crawler.php

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well on the plus side the DCC core rule book is an amazingly beautiful book so I'd say it's worth buying

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So why isn't there anything nearly this nice for D&D

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

That's cool. I was on a history of mythology class this semester and our assignment was to make a whole civilization from scratch and it was really fun to do so (made an isolated one on the Pacific islands that got stranded from other Polynesians from 50 BC until 1890 when the first European explorers got there).

This would be a kickass idea for a thread, if someone wanted to curate it.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Bummed out that the DCC PbP game died on the vine. I was having fun with my literal 0-level poo poo-farmer based upon Rick Santorum.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Simian_Prime posted:

Bummed out that the DCC PbP game died on the vine. I was having fun with my literal 0-level poo poo-farmer based upon Rick Santorum.

Was it just usual PbP turnover or is DCC difficult/weird to run over forums for some reason?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Don't play PBP unless it's with a group of people you know won't flake at all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bestow-weapon-proficiency

quote:

You bestow the subject with the ability to use a single type of weapon he is not proficient in as if he were proficient with that weapon. The weapon can be of any type, including an exotic weapon, but the subject of the spell must be holding the weapon.

This is a spell?! They're just giving away weapon proficiencies now as temporary buffs? I have no words.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

there's a reason that the only way I'd run a Pathfinder campaign would be as a Beginner Box campaign(especially with the expansion material from EdOWar's Blog and maybe some extra stuff from the d20PFSRD site as well), currently got an idea floating around for a Science Fantasy Post-Apocalyptic campaign where Classes represent types of semi-magical Power Armor used by players to fight horrors in the broken fragments of a world trying to survive

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bestow-weapon-proficiency

This is a spell?! They're just giving away weapon proficiencies now as temporary buffs? I have no words.

I'll always remember Ultimate Combat - it was the book that finally cut me away from being a Paizo fan.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm imagining that Bestow Weapon Proficiency was the brainchild of someone who had a player complain once that all the random magic loot they rolled was for stuff they had no proficiency in and so they got to thinking "Hmm, how can I best go about addressing this problem heyyyyyy I know" and the rest is history.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'll always remember Ultimate Combat - it was the book that finally cut me away from being a Paizo fan.

Mind elaborating on that? I'm guessing one of the following reasons:
1. the variant rules are a continuation of cheap rip-offs of 3.5
2. it didn't actually add much to martial classes despite the name
3. it had new and more spells, which is rich for a book called Ultimate Combat, especially when said spells continue to tread on martials

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gradenko_2000 posted:

3. it had new and more spells, which is rich for a book called Ultimate Combat, especially when said spells continue to tread on martials

It's number 3. It has as much or more material for spellcasting as fighters, and the Gunslinger it added is a hot mess.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

A mix of 2 and 3, as well as some starkly negative experiences with the Paizo staff at the time.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Kai Tave posted:

Was it just usual PbP turnover or is DCC difficult/weird to run over forums for some reason?

Just usual PbP turnover. To be fair, I'm pretty sure the GM had to deal with some pretty heavy RL stuff at the time.

We each played two starting 0-level characters, and I enjoyed the dynamic of each player having two characters they could bounce dialogue between.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished RPPR's 2-episode 13th Age actual play, and quite enjoyed it.

The system played much faster than their Iron Heroes combats and there wasn't nearly as much arcane rulesmanship*. Crits happened fairly often, and the escalation die also prevented a lot of misses, especially in light of one of the players being salty about d20's swinginess pretty much the entire game.

The skill checks were also resolved quite quickly, though I did see the issue that's been mentioned a couple of times where some skills are really so broad that they always see use: "Wandering Knight", "Things I Learned at Bard School", and "Inquisitor"

That's still a darn sight better though than another Iron Heroes instance where the players engineered an elaborate plan to sneak onto a pirate island by shimmying across two sheer cliffs, only to find that nobody had ranks in Use Rope (which mercifully the DM just handwaved away)

* there was this one instance in their Iron Heroes AP which stretched out to what seemed like 10 real-time minutes while the DM and a player discussed what amounted to how to do a Bull Rush maneuver.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ProfessorCirno posted:

A mix of 2 and 3, as well as some starkly negative experiences with the Paizo staff at the time.

Am I remembering wrong, or did somebody as Reynolds point-blank "Why don't you make a Combat book that doesn't actually boost wizards at the expense of fighters" and he replied "Nope!"

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's still a darn sight better though than another Iron Heroes instance where the players engineered an elaborate plan to sneak onto a pirate island by shimmying across two sheer cliffs, only to find that nobody had ranks in Use Rope (which mercifully the DM just handwaved away)

An RPG where each class is based entirely on a ridiculously specific d20 skill. The Ropemaster. The Listener. The Decipherer of Scripts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

An RPG where each class is based entirely on a ridiculously specific d20 skill. The Ropemaster. The Listener. The Decipherer of Scripts.

That might actually be fun, in a DCC-Funnel kind of way.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly, I have never spoken with a Paizo employee who wasn't a repugnant pile of poo poo. They could make the best game in the universe and I wouldn't buy it or play it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
The Strange has released their Thunder Plains replacement for free: http://www.montecookgames.com/ohunkakan-the-living-myths/

At work at the moment, anyone have time to have a look through it and see how much it's an improvement?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

I remember stumbling across your discussion of the Urumi. Some fine examples of grog in that thread.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Flavivirus posted:

The Strange has released their Thunder Plains replacement for free: http://www.montecookgames.com/ohunkakan-the-living-myths/

At work at the moment, anyone have time to have a look through it and see how much it's an improvement?

It's much cooler than the hokey bullshit of the Thunder Plains, although I'm nowhere near qualified enough to tell you if it's offensive.

quote:

The terrain of Ohunkakan is vivid and changeable; every object seems to shudder and breathe with life as if freshly imagined. Throughout the plains, old men repair even older cars with parts dug up from middens deep in the hills intermixed with ancient serpent bones, and then they trade stories with far-ranging hunters beside towering tipis of shimmering hides. Towns of stocky whitewashed houses by day transform into rings of hoodoos by night, the townsfolk whispering from within the stones. Grandmothers watch sitcoms on flickering screens of painted hide while their grandsons wrestle giants in the wilderness. Locals find nothing odd or out of place in this. Though Ohunkakan was spun from the traditional stories of the Lakota people, the ever- shifting flood of modern anachronisms shows these traditions continue to change and evolve.

quote:

The oldest and greatest of these figures are truly legendary. These elders—Coyote, Iktomi, the Stone Child, the Blood-Clot Man, and many others—carry with them a pocket of warped reality in which the logic of their own particular story dominates. Within these bubbles of myth-time, ancient dramas spring up naturally, incorporating unsuspecting wanderers as fresh actors in living stories. Often escape is impossible until the individual tale is brought to a satisfactory conclusion, though clever victims often find ways to spin new endings onto old tales.

quote:

The Thunderer and the Horned Serpent have been at war since time began. Their continuous struggle, as regular and as unavoidable as weather, is terrible and awe-inspiring to behold. Each possesses a will so powerful that the very nature of Ohunkakan cracks as their stories collide, exploding in ribbons of amorphous blackness across land and sky. Near these storms, threads of separate tales freely mix and overlap, birthing new horrors to slink off into the night and terrorize the people. These broken threads must be woven back together by skilled storytellers, lest their nullity spread and open Ohunkakan to the Strange.

Here's the Drivethru link.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Thought this would be better in the general thread than a specific Apoc World one, but I'm picking up an old project of making an investigative game that I'm hoping mirrors the themes of True Detective, where the protagonists have just as much hosed up internally as the external threats or investigations, and the story unfolds just as much between characters as it does out in the world. Are there any good thematic RPG's that do this currently that people can recommend taking a look at? I've been using the base PbtA engine as a resolution mechanic but looking for more inspiration.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I recently got to speak with Bulmahn and he refers to Pathfinder as "his" game. Which seems natural enough, but it struck me as odd, given it's effectively just a new edition of another game. Though almost every game is derivative of some other at this point, it made me wonder just how original a game has to be to be the "game designer". Bulmahn has written other games, mind, but in Pathfinder's case it feels weird.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jason Bulmahn's Introduction to the Pathfinder Alpha Playtest posted:

Back in October 2007, I began a small side project. Since 4th Edition had recently been announced, I began to wonder how many people would stick with the 3.5 rules set. Everyone could agree that 3.5 needed some work, but the system itself was mostly sound. I thought that those folks might want some updated rules, since support was beginning to wane. What started out as a simple side project soon turned into an obsession as the rules document got longer every day. When Paizo started looking for alternatives, my side project was a natural fit, leading us to where we are today.

When work first began on the Pathfinder RPG, I set down a number of principles to guide me. Since this game is based off the 3.5 rules set, I wanted to make sure that it stayed true to the original vision of the game. When taking a look at these rules, please keep the following guidelines in mind as they might help you understand the changes that were made.

I guess he might honestly believe that it's different enough to be its own game, and namely his own game?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fenarisk posted:

Thought this would be better in the general thread than a specific Apoc World one, but I'm picking up an old project of making an investigative game that I'm hoping mirrors the themes of True Detective, where the protagonists have just as much hosed up internally as the external threats or investigations, and the story unfolds just as much between characters as it does out in the world. Are there any good thematic RPG's that do this currently that people can recommend taking a look at? I've been using the base PbtA engine as a resolution mechanic but looking for more inspiration.

A Dirty World and any Gumshoe game (recommend Mutant City Blues since it basically deals with superhuman cops) are required reading here IMO.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So, I just watched Jurassic World.

The question now isn't wheter I am going to put a Mosasaurus in my campaign the next chance I get, but wheter I am going to call it a whale dragon or a dragon whale.

I feel like the latter is more appropriate since the focus should be on the whale part, since it's a sea monster.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Fenarisk posted:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

A Dirty World and any Gumshoe game (recommend Mutant City Blues since it basically deals with superhuman cops) are required reading here IMO.

Night's Black Agents (another Gumshoe game) is not exactly the same thing as you're looking for, as it's superspies vs vampires, but it has what looks like a good mechanic for "stability" as you have to deal with weird bloodsucking monsters trying to kill you. NBA characters have a symbol (Old Glory, their partner's badge, etc) that helps keep them focused, a sanctuary or place of safety they can retreat to, and one trustworthy person who can provide solace.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess he might honestly believe that it's different enough to be its own game, and namely his own game?

Oh, I have no doubt. That's why it struck me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

So, I just watched Jurassic World.

The question now isn't wheter I am going to put a Mosasaurus in my campaign the next chance I get, but wheter I am going to call it a whale dragon or a dragon whale.

I feel like the latter is more appropriate since the focus should be on the whale part, since it's a sea monster.

call it a Leviathan or a Sea Dragon(or to mess with your players have some sailors mention Sea Orcs, and while they think it's just some fishy Orcs, it's actually those things, since Orc used to be a term for sea monsters before Tolkien used it as a more dignified term for what were previously Goblins in his stories)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 24, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

When I used prehistoric creatures in my game, I usually gave them names reminiscent of their Latin ones; a dunkleosteus became a dunkle. It felt it kept stuff recognizable without being jarringly so.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
If it's of interest to anyone the current StoryBundle has the full set of Designers & Dragons for $12, along with a lot of material about video game design. I got it for that and the book on the history of Japanese video game design since I'm curious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The whole set as part of a cheap bundle? poo poo, I'm in. I wanted to get those before but they were prohibitively expensive, piecemeal.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Designers & Dragons is really good and worth way more than $20 alone. Those of us who backed it just got the Platinum Appendix, which covers gaming groups, a history of women in gaming, and very recent companies in the RPG industry.

I've been interested in the Untold Story of Japanese Game Development mainly on account of the ongoing drama surrounding that kickstarter, it never seems to end. :allears:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Designers & Dragons is really good and worth way more than $20 alone. Those of us who backed it just got the Platinum Appendix, which covers gaming groups, a history of women in gaming, and very recent companies in the RPG industry.

I've been interested in the Untold Story of Japanese Game Development mainly on account of the ongoing drama surrounding that kickstarter, it never seems to end. :allears:

There's drama? This sounds almost as good as getting the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Platinum Index will be going PWYW on DriveThru, too, once they get the ebook versions sorted out.

• Locked thread